What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Pete Buttigieg Thread *** (4 Viewers)

So apparently Trump went to Walter Reed today -- reportedly for an unplanned physical.  (he's already had one this year)
Can't stand the guy but I hope he's ok.
Yes. I'm also genuinely glad that there's no left-leaning version of Fox News to spread false rumors about it. (Wait, what thread are we in?)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is pretty amazing ... and beautiful.

If he maintains that separation (or builds on it) through the caucus, it should greatly help in South Carolina as well. South Carolinians love a front-runner.
Not sure how much winning/placing in IA, NH helps Pete in NV or SC, but it'll be a massive boost after those either way.

And yeah... mis-posted a couple things yesterday losing track of my tabs.  Sorry to derail the conversation.

There is hope for the Democratic party if Mayor Pete can take Iowa.   The progressives(Bernie/Warren) were torpedoing the party IMHO.

I still feel like we don't know a lot about his policy.  Krista posted a link somewhere, but I can't find it.

The great thing is that Warren and Bernie will split the progressives, and neither will drop out.   Pete is not going to win the Southern States so he really needs to dominate the Midwest and the Northeast IMHO.

Not sure how much winning/placing in IA, NH helps Pete in NV or SC, but it'll be a massive boost after those either way.
It helps because lots of people still don’t really know much about him, and an even larger number of people have never really listened to him speak.

The more people pay attention to and listen to Pete.....the more they like him.

It helps because lots of people still don’t really know much about him, and an even larger number of people have never really listened to him speak.

The more people pay attention to and listen to Pete.....the more they like him.
True, but NV and SC have had TONS of coverage by the candidates -- so he'd have very little time to capitalize.  IMO (and it's a guess) an IA win and 2nd in NH (or whatev) would help him more in the states that haven't already been carpet bombed.

True, but NV and SC have had TONS of coverage by the candidates -- so he'd have very little time to capitalize.  IMO (and it's a guess) an IA win and 2nd in NH (or whatev) would help him more in the states that haven't already been carpet bombed.
Most people aren’t paying attention yet.  80-90% of America doesn’t care about this phase of the “campaign.”  80-90% of people still aren’t paying attention, and won’t until a couple weeks before their state has a primary.

And yeah... mis-posted a couple things yesterday losing track of my tabs.  Sorry to derail the conversation.
I think any boost he gets will help.  He just needs to avoid finishing a distant 3rd or 4th in SC, IMO.  If he makes up ground then it won't matter that he doesn't win.

I've been reading/watching stuff on Stacey Abrams ever since @cap'n grunge started his Dem Ticket Combos thread. If there ever was a ticket made in heaven, it's Buttigieg/Abrams. She normalizes the "save your messin'. i'm getting #### DONE & done right" the way Mayor Pete normalizes the New Decency.

The bumper sticker: Buttigieg/Abrams 2020 - We got everything but old!

I've been reading/watching stuff on Stacey Abrams ever since @cap'n grunge started his Dem Ticket Combos thread. If there ever was a ticket made in heaven, it's Buttigieg/Abrams. She normalizes the "save your messin'. i'm getting #### DONE & done right" the way Mayor Pete normalizes the New Decency.

The bumper sticker: Buttigieg/Abrams 2020 - We got everything but old!
When do nominees start announcing a potential running mate? - not only do I really like Abrams so would be excited about her running with Pete but I also think she could really boost his fallibility in the AA community.  Would be interesting if he came out soon with that.

When do nominees start announcing a potential running mate - not only do I really like Abrams so would be excited about her running with Pete but I also think she could really boost his fallibility in the AA community.  Would be interesting if he came out soon with that.
Usually not long before the Convention.  Long way to go.

When do nominees start announcing a potential running mate? - not only do I really like Abrams so would be excited about her running with Pete but I also think she could really boost his fallibility in the AA community.  Would be interesting if he came out soon with that.
nothing say you cant, but that's usually a convention thing and certainly not a frontrunner move.

were i running Peteyjudge, though, i'd be offering Abrams an unofficial partnership (any job you want) now to get her out on the hype trail. she is as much of a unicorn as he

ETA: seriously, if i was running Buttigieg, i would offer her MY job (campaign chair) even. she's that perfect for him

What is the reason for that - just how it normally works?  Or is it because sometimes the other candidates end up being the running mates?
Ego & tradition. Veep's a necessary evil - it's remarkably hard to endure the rigors of a national campaign and then have to share it the last two months, so it's always put off til absolutely necessary. It has been talked about early as a Hail Mary pass for flailing campaigns in the past, but nothing more. Tho a toxic combo, Dubya/Cheney showed how potent a partnership can be, however.

Pete is building up in both states, as we speak.

First Priority was certainly Iowa.  Then he started to build out New Hampshire.  In the last couple of weeks, they have announced more staff and offices in Nevada and South Carolina.

I think its just part of his strategy - build a foundation, and then build up.  If you build up too quickly, you risk it all falling down.

Pete's path runs through Iowa, and using that to build on for future states.  The foundations are being laid now - and I think if he wins Iowa, you will see a much bigger presence in the Super Tuesday states - including advertising specifically in those states.

I'd be working the military angle in SC. Been almost 30 yrs since a serviceman has been in the White House. Better to let momentum knock down what non-white pins they can and not be seen to pander. Best change Peteyjudge can effect in that regard would be thru internal channels.

Pete is building up in both states, as we speak.

First Priority was certainly Iowa.  Then he started to build out New Hampshire.  In the last couple of weeks, they have announced more staff and offices in Nevada and South Carolina.

I think its just part of his strategy - build a foundation, and then build up.  If you build up too quickly, you risk it all falling down.

Pete's path runs through Iowa, and using that to build on for future states.  The foundations are being laid now - and I think if he wins Iowa, you will see a much bigger presence in the Super Tuesday states - including advertising specifically in those states.
Doesn't Pete have a good amount of cash on hand for that type of push?

Doesn't Pete have a good amount of cash on hand for that type of push?
Cash & party machinery shouldn't be a problem. His first job was at McKinsey & Co and he ran for DNC Chair not long ago, so he knows how the sausage gets made. Like most stars say, "It took me 20 yrs to become an overnite sensation".

I think I actually want a Senator in that VP spot. Someone who can help with governing to reach out to Congress to actually get stuff done. That's why Klobuchar would be a good choice. I get that she doesn't bring a ton to the ticket electoral wise but I'd also like successful governance.

I think I actually want a Senator in that VP spot. Someone who can help with governing to reach out to Congress to actually get stuff done. That's why Klobuchar would be a good choice. I get that she doesn't bring a ton to the ticket electoral wise but I'd also like successful governance.
Booker might be a good choice too.

Certainly some merit to this point of view. Two outsiders may not be the best way to get policy done....but a GOP Senate controlled Senate is not going to get anything done.  We need coattails more than anything.

cap'n grunge said:
yeah, cuz senators been bringing such honor, efficacy & leadership to the process lately......

Backlash over photo of Kenyan woman used for American campaign

There was outrage after an American firm used a photo of a Kenyan woman with a child to campaign for a 2020 presidential candidate.

Ryan Grim, who is the Bureau Chief for The Intercept, on Friday lashed out at the PR firm behind Peter Paul Montgomery Buttigieg.

”On top of everything else, the Buttigieg campaign used a stock photo from Kenya to promote its Frederick Douglass Plan for Black America,” he said on Twitter.

The bureau chief even tagged Nicholas Githiri, the photographer behind the picture that was used in Buttigieg’s manifesto.

A spot check by Citizen Digital on Saturday showed that the picture was yet to be pulled down.

Jodi Jacobson said on Twitter:” This is worse than lazy” while @Clarknt67 added: ”A trained visual arts professional reads the metadata in an image before posting. This is not rocket science.” 

”Spin: Mayor Peye is the only candidate whose Black outreach went all the way to Africa. lol,” Tuxedo Mask quipped while James Baker joked: ”He’s talking in terms of the Diaspora…”

Peter Paul Montgomery Buttigieg is an American politician who has been the mayor of South Bend, Indiana, since 2012.

He is a candidate for the Democratic Party nomination in the 2020 United States presidential election.

https://citizentv.co.ke/news/u-s-firm-goofs-using-photo-of-kenyan-woman-for-buttigieg-2020-campaign-293860/

Stock photos? You kiddin' me?

Seriously, do people not understand what a "stock" photo is? While I understand that anything related to politics can get complicated, stock photos used by an ad firm are not something that shocks or offends me.

I am honestly more offended by his Jimi Hendrix cover.

Still has my vote.

Stock photos? You kiddin' me?

Seriously, do people not understand what a "stock" photo is? While I understand that anything related to politics can get complicated, stock photos used by an ad firm are not something that shocks or offends me.

I am honestly more offended by his Jimi Hendrix cover.

Still has my vote.
This was just kind of funny really.  Misrepresenting black support for the Douglass Plan wasn't very cool.  

This was just kind of funny really.  Misrepresenting black support for the Douglass Plan wasn't very cool.  
Thnx for the link. This appears to be a valid discussion. I just got a lol out of the stock photo complaint (not directed at you). Also, I will be the first to admit that I am not educated on this particular topic.

I scanned the article, but I have to leave at the moment. I will read it better, later this afternoon.

Thnx for the link. This appears to be a valid discussion. I just got a lol out of the stock photo complaint (not directed at you). Also, I will be the first to admit that I am not educated on this particular topic.

I scanned the article, but I have to leave at the moment. I will read it better, later this afternoon.
Nah, I probably deserve that.  I already jumped the shark on critiquing PB when I brought up his choice of fried chicken & collard greens in his lunch with Al Sharpton.  

Still, there's good reason to find his mayoral record and certain parts of his rhetoric troubling.  

ren hoek said:
Nah, I probably deserve that.
LOL. No one deserves Jim Mora.

ren hoek said:
I already jumped the shark ...
Speaking of jumping, I've jumped onto the Ravens bandwagon since we last spoke here. On my drive from Churchill out to PRP, I spotted at least 5 Balt window/bumper stickers.

Have you jumped? And if not, WHY NOT?

On topic: gotta run, will read link later.

;)

If it weren't Pete, I doubt this would be a big deal (the Intercept article, btw, is written by a hardcore progressive that I'm guessing hates Pete). The campaign should've done a better job of clarifying, but it seems to largely be a misunderstanding. One the campaign should've done a better job of making sure didn't happen, but still nothing that seems to overtly be an attempt at misleading people.

It's a good plan, and he's trying. He's got some obstacles, and he's made mistakes. Who knows if he can overcome them, but he's trying. 

Our boy is about to be tested in a big way. As a gay Christian young moderate, the arrows will come from a lot of different angles.

But I believe he has the demeanor and character to find a way to unify this country better than any other candidate.

OK, I read the article on the roll out. I tend to feel the same as pollardsvision; namely that it was a misunderstanding. If the 3 candidates "prominent supporters" had not really supported the plan, I would have an issue.

In this case, it appears that no one is criticizing the plan ... just the manner of release. Was it intentionally misleading regarding candidate support? I dunno. This is politics, spin happens. On the whole, unless something more sinister comes out, I have no problem.

EDIT: Need to add, if this was intentional, it is poor strategy - as the misrepresentation would be surely challenged. To date, this campaign has not given me any reason to doubt their strategy skills. Thus, I doubt it was intentional.

If it weren't Pete, I doubt this would be a big deal (the Intercept article, btw, is written by a hardcore progressive that I'm guessing hates Pete). The campaign should've done a better job of clarifying, but it seems to largely be a misunderstanding. One the campaign should've done a better job of making sure didn't happen, but still nothing that seems to overtly be an attempt at misleading people.

It's a good plan, and he's trying. He's got some obstacles, and he's made mistakes. Who knows if he can overcome them, but he's trying. 

Our boy is about to be tested in a big way. As a gay Christian young moderate, the arrows will come from a lot of different angles.

But I believe he has the demeanor and character to find a way to unify this country better than any other candidate.
Peteyjudge is not a moderate. He is simply not an idealogue and his mission to do as much governing as possible keeps him a fluid spot on the spectrum

ren hoek said:
Backlash over photo of Kenyan woman used for American campaign

There was outrage after an American firm used a photo of a Kenyan woman with a child to campaign for a 2020 presidential candidate.

Ryan Grim, who is the Bureau Chief for The Intercept, on Friday lashed out at the PR firm behind Peter Paul Montgomery Buttigieg.

”On top of everything else, the Buttigieg campaign used a stock photo from Kenya to promote its Frederick Douglass Plan for Black America,” he said on Twitter.

The bureau chief even tagged Nicholas Githiri, the photographer behind the picture that was used in Buttigieg’s manifesto.

A spot check by Citizen Digital on Saturday showed that the picture was yet to be pulled down.

Jodi Jacobson said on Twitter:” This is worse than lazy” while @Clarknt67 added: ”A trained visual arts professional reads the metadata in an image before posting. This is not rocket science.” 

”Spin: Mayor Peye is the only candidate whose Black outreach went all the way to Africa. lol,” Tuxedo Mask quipped while James Baker joked: ”He’s talking in terms of the Diaspora…”

Peter Paul Montgomery Buttigieg is an American politician who has been the mayor of South Bend, Indiana, since 2012.

He is a candidate for the Democratic Party nomination in the 2020 United States presidential election.

https://citizentv.co.ke/news/u-s-firm-goofs-using-photo-of-kenyan-woman-for-buttigieg-2020-campaign-293860/
meh, who cares really...it is offensive, yes.  Should it influence your vote, no.

I didn't listen to the video but I assume it's the same as my cut and paste here:

"There are some, especially in my party, who think that the Tea Party is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Republican Party," Buttigieg said at the time. "But there are many others who believe that the Tea Party is motivated by real concerns about the direction of our government and the responsiveness of our government to citizens—and above all, a frustration with business as usual. That is what motivated me to run," he continued. "And so, while we may come from often very different perspectives, I believe we might have a lot in common on that front."
In the early days of the Tea Party, the primary message was fiscal discipline.  In that context, I don't think harsh criticism of what he said is fair.

I didn't listen to the video but I assume it's the same as my cut and paste here:

In the early days of the Tea Party, the primary message was fiscal discipline.  In that context, I don't think harsh criticism of what he said is fair.
Yeah...Im trying to understand what the negative is about what he just said there?

New Hampshire

DEM BALLOT November 2019

Pete Buttigieg 25%
Joe Biden 15% 
Elizabeth Warren 15% 
Bernie Sanders 9% 
Amy Klobuchar 6% 
Tom Steyer 5% 
Tulsi Gabbard 3%
Cory Booker 3% 
Andrew Yang 2% 
Kamala Harris 1%