What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Pete Buttigieg Thread *** (4 Viewers)

Wouldn’t mind asking them why he was ‘troubled’ by Chelsea Manning’s sentence being commuted.  Or why he supports the Trump DOJ’s attempt to extradite and torture indefinitely the publisher of a whistleblowing website.  Or whether he thinks Bonesaw is a “murderous dictator” like he said about Assad.  Is this standard a real principle of his or something that only applies to official bad guys?  

In any case, have fun out there Sinn- it’s cool that you’re getting involved.  I was thinking it’d be cool to go out there and make a really loud comment about footballguys and see if anyone noticed.  Maybe if it was a little closer to Germantown.  
I take it you don't believe that WikiLeaks is a propaganda tool of Putin and the Russians.

Which bar is it anyway?  At first I pictured Tin Roof, but figured that’s not classy enough. Then I thought Varsity Blue, and realized I don’t actually know any classy bars in Lexington.  I used to like Two Keys pretty good.  Malone’s? 

I take it you don't believe that WikiLeaks is a propaganda tool of Putin and the Russians.
No- not at all.  Wikileaks is the most important journalistic functionary of our time.  They redefined how journalism works in the 21st century.  The documents then-Bradley Manning leaked and Assange published (after WaPo and NYT refused/ignored Manning) were some of the most courageous publications of all time.  They exposed war crimes that were being committed in our names, including the murder of two Reuters journalists- ultimate corruption.  

I think they were telling the truth when they said the source wasn’t affiliated with the Russian state.  But even if I didn’t, even if it came from foreign intel service, Wikileaks was simply doing what any good publisher does- publishing information in the public interest.  Doesn’t make them any more a “tool” of “the Russians” than NYT/WaPo/CNN and everyone else who reported on it.  

Honestly the whole stigmatization of Assange as a Russian agent was pretty despicable.  It’s an easy litmus test for telling who believes in an actual free press and who doesn’t.  Pete doesn’t.  

No- not at all.  Wikileaks is the most important journalistic functionary of our time.  They redefined how journalism works in the 21st century.  The documents then-Bradley Manning leaked and Assange published (after WaPo and NYT refused/ignored Manning) were some of the most courageous publications of all time.  They exposed war crimes that were being committed in our names, including the murder of two Reuters journalists- ultimate corruption.  

I think they were telling the truth when they said the source wasn’t affiliated with the Russian state.  But even if I didn’t, even if it came from foreign intel service, Wikileaks was simply doing what any good publisher does- publishing information in the public interest.  Doesn’t make them any more a “tool” of “the Russians” than NYT/WaPo/CNN and everyone else who reported on it.  

Honestly the whole stigmatization of Assange as a Russian agent was pretty despicable.  It’s an easy litmus test for telling who believes in an actual free press and who doesn’t.  Pete doesn’t.  
Wait...more important of our time?  They aren't journalists.  Its not journalism...you get that, right?

The American intelligence agency reported it...not just news outlets.  Because they are, in fact, and agent of Russian Intelligence.  Assange is not a person acting in good faith...there is a reason he has been living in Exile and that is because of his awful and despicable actions himself.

Pete doesn't believe in a free press?  Have anything to back that claim up?

Which bar is it anyway?  At first I pictured Tin Roof, but figured that’s not classy enough. Then I thought Varsity Blue, and realized I don’t actually know any classy bars in Lexington.  I used to like Two Keys pretty good.  Malone’s? 
Belles. Great night. I had about 10 minutes one on one with Mike. Just a surreal experience. 

Also got an obligatory selfie with Lis. She is tall - and super nice. (She had to take the photo for me ...)

@Man of Constant Sorrow is here taking photos. Great to put a face to name.

you should have come down.

Belles. Great night. I had about 10 minutes one on one with Mike. Just a surreal experience. 

Also got an obligatory selfie with Lis. She is tall - and super nice. (She had to take the photo for me ...)

@Man of Constant Sorrow is here taking photos. Great to put a face to name.

you should have come down.
It’s a shame I wasn’t there to corroborate how cool we all are.  (I would have made us sound very cool irl.) 

Wait...more important of our time?  They aren't journalists.  Its not journalism...you get that, right?

The American intelligence agency reported it...not just news outlets.  Because they are, in fact, and agent of Russian Intelligence.  Assange is not a person acting in good faith...there is a reason he has been living in Exile and that is because of his awful and despicable actions himself.

Pete doesn't believe in a free press?  Have anything to back that claim up?
Yeah, to claim Wikileaks is some independent arbiter when in fact it’s an arm of Russian propaganda well... it makes you raise an eyebrow.

I think it was uber-conservative Bill Kristol on Twitter today leaning into the idea of Buttigieg/Klobuchar or Klobuchar/Buttigieg ticket.  I'm down with this, and I would not be disappointed if Booker overrode either. 

My political fatigue wants someone who can turn the heat way down on the stovetop. I'm no pro chef, but I know lots of good things happen once the pot is reduced to a simmer.

Wow - night got even better.  As things were closing down - I sat down with Mike and Lis and had a good 10-minute+ conversation -just the 3 of us - talking about what is working, what is not working (needs more African-Americans in senior roles) - and just talking political strategy.   I really did meet with Pete's senior team...  (I had met Mike earlier in the evening and he actually remembered our conversation - he won't remember me tomorrow - but given that they must be meeting and greeting so many people on the trail - its amazing they remember what city they are in.)

Finally the staff that set this up came to get them - and as I am walking away - Lis said: "Hey Sean, (thats my real life name) come here, let me give you a hug!" 

Both she and Mike were just the nicest people I think you could meet in a campaign - especially 1 night after a debate, and everything going on around them.  I kind of assumed Lis would be more New Yorkery - but she is very down to earth. 

So glad I did this, and also glad to meet up with @Man of Constant Sorrow (who looks just like his avatar) - I still owe you a drink!  

Wow - night got even better.  As things were closing down - I sat down with Mike and Lis and had a good 10-minute+ conversation -just the 3 of us - talking about what is working, what is not working (needs more African-Americans in senior roles) - and just talking political strategy.   I really did meet with Pete's senior team...  (I had met Mike earlier in the evening and he actually remembered our conversation - he won't remember me tomorrow - but given that they must be meeting and greeting so many people on the trail - its amazing they remember what city they are in.)

Finally the staff that set this up came to get them - and as I am walking away - Lis said: "Hey Sean, (thats my real life name) come here, let me give you a hug!" 

Both she and Mike were just the nicest people I think you could meet in a campaign - especially 1 night after a debate, and everything going on around them.  I kind of assumed Lis would be more New Yorkery - but she is very down to earth. 

So glad I did this, and also glad to meet up with @Man of Constant Sorrow (who looks just like his avatar) - I still owe you a drink!  
That is seriously awesome man.  Glad you got to do it and that you enjoyed the time with them.  Also seems really cool of them to talk like that after such a huge night last night.

@Sinn Fein totally came through with an awesome video!  My daughter has seen it and loved it and sent it to her goofy friend who also loved it.  Name your charity Sinn, I’m thrilled to donate.

@Joe Bryant and @Maurile Tremblay — awesome things can still happen in the PSF, all your hard work keeping this place alive made a teenage girl super happy on (the day before) her birthday today. 

@Sinn Fein totally came through with an awesome video!  My daughter has seen it and loved it and sent it to her goofy friend who also loved it.  Name your charity Sinn, I’m thrilled to donate.

@Joe Bryant and @Maurile Tremblay — awesome things can still happen in the PSF, all your hard work keeping this place alive made a teenage girl super happy on (the day before) her birthday today. 
No donation necessary.  I did it because you asked. Community.  :thumbup:

PS - it really was an awesome video, and I am glad your daughter liked it!  I loved the little wave at the end. :bye:

I am still trying to process how awesome it was last night.  I'm going to re-cap in pieces.

I get to the bar and head upstairs - literally the first person I run into is @Man of Constant Sorrow - for someone I never met - I knew right away it was him (the hat and camera helped).  We chatted for a bit, when I realized that I had a wrist band that got me access to the 3rd floor - so I tried to get us both upstairs, to no avail.

Going into the event, my expectations were pretty low - I was hoping for a chance to hear Lis and Mike speak about the campaign, how it started, how they got to this point - some behind the scenes type stuff.  I figured if it was a low enough turn-out I would be able to get a photo with each of them.  And, given that I was going to donate to Pete anyway, this seemed like the best bang for my buck.

So, with that in mind - I head upstairs to the VIP area, where I assume Mike and Lis are mingling.  Turns out they are not there yet, and the 3rd floor is basically a who's who of Lexington Democratic politics - of which I am decidedly not involved - and thus don't know anyone.  One of the guys hosting the events sees that I am hopelessly out of place, and starts introducing me around - end up talking with a guy who works for the former mayor of Lexington - Jim Gray - who then introduces me to the Mayor and we got to chat a bit.  

Then, Mike, Lis and entourage arrive - and Lis is the proverbial Rock Star, and enters the room like a hurricane.  She has been in the business a while, and in fact had worked on Steve Beshear's (current governor's dad) campaign many years ago - and knew most of the people in the room - so she was re-uniting with folks, and just working the room like a champ. 

Mike Schmuhl, on the other hand - very low key, and so while Lis was working the room, I ended up talking to Mike about things like:  VP candidates - none chosen, 100% will be female, he thinks all the top candidates would go for gender diversity on the ticket, less certain about racial diversity.  We talked about Stacy Abrams because Pete had been at a function for her voter registration campaign earlier in the day - had nice things to say about her.  We also talked about Amy Klobuchar and the pros/cons of choosing someone with seniority, but also covering the same geographic area.  I asked about his experience - or lack thereof - when it came to running a national campaign - and we talked about being able to bring some of the same ideas from a local mayoral campaign to the national stage.  He also mentioned that if it ever became necessary - he would not hesitate to hire his boss - meaning hiring someone with more national experience.  From my perspective - Pete hired him because he trusts him, implicitly, and because he (Mike) has a set of skills that Pete values, even if he does not have the same experience as a higher profile manager.

To be con't...

Sinn, any issue if I post the video for others to see?  And are you going to share the story about making the video happen?  Would love to hear it.
Yeah - I will get to the story - I don't think there is an issue with the video.  I don't want Lis to think I am a creepy stalker making the video go viral, but I don't think there is much chance of that happening.

ACT II

So, eventually everyone moves down to the 2nd floor, where there is a microphone set up.  Jim Gray does the introductions, and Lis and Mike take turns sharing their story.

Campaign literally started with the 3 of them.  As of yesterday, there are 510 paid staffers across the country.  The started with an email list of 24,000, and now have over 700,000 unique donors.

One of my perceptions of Lis going into this event was that of a very tough New Yorker-type, thick veneer - but what came across is someone who is really down to earth, very passionate about her job, Pete, and the whole process.  And there was a moment while she was speaking about everything that has gone on, and the people she has worked with on the campaign when she started to choke up, and a woman from the audience went up and gave her a hug.  She cares a great deal about Pete, Mike, the campaign, the supporters - it was clear that this was much more than just a job for her.  It really took me aback to see that level of emotional investment.

She also talked about the strategy that is pretty well-known now - Phase 1 - get Pete in front of any media that would take him, she acknowledged the risks involved, but pointed out she had to get him out to places where people could hear his messages - so nothing was off limits - funny moment, she said she put Pete on Sports outlets, Fashion outlets and Celebrity outlets (I think he may have done something on TMZ) - and she pointed out those might be the 3 least comfortable places for Pete to be - but she had to enlarge the audience, and trusted Pete to handle himself in awkward situations.  Phase 2 - fund raise like crazy - which they did in the summer and 3rd quarter - noting that the out-raised everyone but Bernie.  And, Phase 3 - staff up, and organize.  As I noted they are up to 510 paid staffers, and have the biggest presence in Iowa.  (Earlier, Mike and I also talked about the importance of the depth of their coverage in Iowa, and how important that will be at Caucus time)

Lis shared a story about the Iowa poll from last weekend - she got the advance copy of the results and was trying to reach Pete out in California to tell him the news - and as she is on the phone she let loose with a colorful display of words telling who ever was on the other end to get Pete on the phone...only to be met with silence, and then "Lis, you're on speaker phone..."

Mike spoke about the first time he met Pete - Mike was in 8th grade, and was going on a tour of the high school - Pete was in 9th grade, and the tour guide.  He described it as two chubby kids walking around the school, mostly in silence.

They both talked about the Pete you see is the Pete you get - he is smart, and he does care.

When they were done with their little spiels there were a few questions from the audience - nothing earth shattering.   And then they took up their spots for people to come and talk to them individually.  I had already spoken with Mike, and at that point, I just wanted to get the obligatory selfie with Lis.   Taking selfies is not one of my strengths - I have two teenage daughters who handle most of the selfies in the house.  So, I ask Lis if she would actually take the selfie - and she graciously did it :bag:

I was one of the 1st people to meet with Lis, and once I got my selfie, honestly, I thought my night was complete - it was enjoyable, and got a chance to have a one-on-one real conversation with a campaign manager for a leading presidential candidate, and I got photographic proof that I was there...  (To be fair, @Man of Constant Sorrow took a few pictures also with an actual camera - so I had witnesses...)

And, so while I thought my night was complete, my drink was not, and so I stayed around the periphery and just observed.

Act III - the finale

So, I am finishing my drink, just observing - Lis and Mike are each greeting lines of people - and they were very gracious about it - they took time with everyone who came up to them - and while I realize that is their job at a fundraiser like this - this was not the high rollers that @ren hoek is worried about - I think the goal for the evening was $3000 - which I am sure they met.  

They each have different personalities - Lis is very engaging, while Mike is much more business-like.

At some point, I decide I am ready to head out - as I go out the front door, I run into MoCS who is engaged in conversation with Mayor Gray's cousin, I think. 

I end up deciding to go back upstairs one last time - and when I get up there I see Mike and Lis sitting together off to the side, both with their phones out.

At that point, I honestly have no idea what came over me - but I just walked up to them and said "Can we talk?"  The introvert in me was probably drugged and bound at that point.

They both looked at me, put their phones down and said "sure!".  And so I decided to lead with something easy, and said "What are you guys going to do about your African-American problem?"  And, for the next 10 or so minutes, we were engaged in a discussion the likes of which I never imagined I would have.  It probably helped that outside of those two, I probably knew more about Pete's campaign and strategy than anyone else in the room.

I spoke to Lis about the recent videos she had done - about empowering women, and how important it was to her to have a seat at the table. I told them, thats what they needed to find - an African-American who could have a seat at their table and have their voice be heard.  And we were actually going back and forth with the names of some of the people on staff who might fit that role - I think they were a little surprised that I knew who the people were - and then I suggested someone who is an advocate for Pete, but not on the campaign, that might make a good candidate - Kareemah Fowler who is a City Clerk in South Bend.  And, they both kind of looked at each other and thought she might be able to do so promos of that variety.

We talked about a Photo Op Pete did yesterday - and I said I thought it was not the right image.  Mike, is not a twitter user, and had no idea what I was talking about, but Lis immediately chimed in - I know exactly what you are talking about.  Its a photo that shows Pete with a bunch of wealthy people.  Its not the kind of photo op that will encourage more support from the African-American community.

We go back and forth on a few other things when something came up about twitter - and I mentioned that I thought her tweet (I posted it above in this thread) about reminding supporters to play nice on twitter, and that attacking others really hurts Pete's message - she had this big smile, and explained the back story to Mike and we talked about the effect that Bernie Bros had last cycle, and how nobody from the campaign ever spoke out about it.  She had a few choice words for some of the other campaigns in this regard...  She then pulls her phone back out and:  "Lis Smith  followed you"  on twitter.  I've got 30 nobodies who follow me - and Lis Smith

At some point Mayor Gray and his entourage were leaving - and I kind of assumed my time was up, so that they could go say their good-byes - but Lis told me to stay and they shouted their good-byes from where we were sitting.  We continued to chat about the campaign in general (They really think they have Warren beat in Iowa, and elsewhere, based on the healthcare debate - they see that as a real long-term winner v. Warren) until the two staffers walked up, bags in hand, hinting that they were ready to leave.  (The whole entourage had arrived at the bar directly from the airport, and I am sure the staffers were dead tired after a few full days in Atlanta, travel, and no dinner yet.)

So I get up, and Lis says "Hey, come here let me give you a hug!" - which turns into, "never mind, I'll come to you."   And, at that moment, for the first time, I kind of realized that I had made a real connection with Lis (and Mike) beyond just perfunctory meet and greets.  We had engaged in real meaningful conversation - there was an actual back and forth.

So, the light goes off in my head, and I realize that the only reason I am here is to get that video for @fatguyinalittlecoat and, while I never would have randomly asked either one to do this - I figured I now had enough equity to at least make the ask.  And so I just said, "I know a guy - from the internet, who has a daughter - could you make a quick happy birthday video?"  Instant - "Sure, I would love to what's her name?"  "Well, this is the weird part - she thinks Pete is fake gay, and could you please confirm he is gay in the video?" (At that point there was a little back and forth where I convinced her this was legit - just wanted to prove to her that Pete was gay).  She was a great sport - the video is above, which she ad-libed the whole thing - I only gave her Talia's name.

I then got my hug, I wished her good luck on the campaign and my final question was: "So what is Phase 4?"

Big smile on her face - "Winning the whole thing!"

I know I sound like a little school kid - and I probably acted that way last night - but I can't imagine two nicer people in the middle of a campaign, where the days are long, and tensions run high.  I have full confidence that Mayor Pete is in excellent hands.

So, the light goes off in my head, and I realize that the only reason I am here is to get that video for @fatguyinalittlecoat and, while I never would have randomly asked either one to do this - I figured I now had enough equity to at least make the ask.  And so I just said, "I know a guy - from the internet, who has a daughter - could you make a quick happy birthday video?"  Instant - "Sure, I would love to what's her name?"  "Well, this is the weird part - she thinks Pete is fake gay, and could you please confirm he is gay in the video?" (At that point there was a little back and forth where I convinced her this was legit - just wanted to prove to her that Pete was gay).  She was a great sport - the video is above, which she ad-libed the whole thing - I only gave her Talia's name.
YES!! Knowing that my kid's conspiracy has been discussed at the highest levels of the Buttigieg campaign fills my heart with joy.

Act III - the finale

So, I am finishing my drink, just observing - Lis and Mike are each greeting lines of people - and they were very gracious about it - they took time with everyone who came up to them - and while I realize that is their job at a fundraiser like this - this was not the high rollers that @ren hoek is worried about - I think the goal for the evening was $3000 - which I am sure they met.  

They each have different personalities - Lis is very engaging, while Mike is much more business-like.

At some point, I decide I am ready to head out - as I go out the front door, I run into MoCS who is engaged in conversation with Mayor Gray's cousin, I think. 

I end up deciding to go back upstairs one last time - and when I get up there I see Mike and Lis sitting together off to the side, both with their phones out.

At that point, I honestly have no idea what came over me - but I just walked up to them and said "Can we talk?"  The introvert in me was probably drugged and bound at that point.

They both looked at me, put their phones down and said "sure!".  And so I decided to lead with something easy, and said "What are you guys going to do about your African-American problem?"  And, for the next 10 or so minutes, we were engaged in a discussion the likes of which I never imagined I would have.  It probably helped that outside of those two, I probably knew more about Pete's campaign and strategy than anyone else in the room.

I spoke to Lis about the recent videos she had done - about empowering women, and how important it was to her to have a seat at the table. I told them, thats what they needed to find - an African-American who could have a seat at their table and have their voice be heard.  And we were actually going back and forth with the names of some of the people on staff who might fit that role - I think they were a little surprised that I knew who the people were - and then I suggested someone who is an advocate for Pete, but not on the campaign, that might make a good candidate - Kareemah Fowler who is a City Clerk in South Bend.  And, they both kind of looked at each other and thought she might be able to do so promos of that variety.

We talked about a Photo Op Pete did yesterday - and I said I thought it was not the right image.  Mike, is not a twitter user, and had no idea what I was talking about, but Lis immediately chimed in - I know exactly what you are talking about.  Its a photo that shows Pete with a bunch of wealthy people.  Its not the kind of photo op that will encourage more support from the African-American community.

We go back and forth on a few other things when something came up about twitter - and I mentioned that I thought her tweet (I posted it above in this thread) about reminding supporters to play nice on twitter, and that attacking others really hurts Pete's message - she had this big smile, and explained the back story to Mike and we talked about the effect that Bernie Bros had last cycle, and how nobody from the campaign ever spoke out about it.  She had a few choice words for some of the other campaigns in this regard...  She then pulls her phone back out and:  "Lis Smith  followed you"  on twitter.  I've got 30 nobodies who follow me - and Lis Smith

At some point Mayor Gray and his entourage were leaving - and I kind of assumed my time was up, so that they could go say their good-byes - but Lis told me to stay and they shouted their good-byes from where we were sitting.  We continued to chat about the campaign in general (They really think they have Warren beat in Iowa, and elsewhere, based on the healthcare debate - they see that as a real long-term winner v. Warren) until the two staffers walked up, bags in hand, hinting that they were ready to leave.  (The whole entourage had arrived at the bar directly from the airport, and I am sure the staffers were dead tired after a few full days in Atlanta, travel, and no dinner yet.)

So I get up, and Lis says "Hey, come here let me give you a hug!" - which turns into, "never mind, I'll come to you."   And, at that moment, for the first time, I kind of realized that I had made a real connection with Lis (and Mike) beyond just perfunctory meet and greets.  We had engaged in real meaningful conversation - there was an actual back and forth.

I then got my hug, I wished her good luck on the campaign and my final question was: "So what is Phase 4?"

Big smile on her face - "Winning the whole thing!"

I know I sound like a little school kid - and I probably acted that way last night - but I can't imagine two nicer people in the middle of a campaign, where the days are long, and tensions run high.  I have full confidence that Mayor Pete is in excellent hands.
This is awesome!

Thanks for sharing.

I agree on the photo op. I also hope they know not to pull a Romney and record him pulling up in a black neighborhood, getting out of his fancy car in his fancy suit and getting a photo op shouting "who let the dogs out!"

So cool that you got to talk strategy.

Last edited by a moderator:
That @Man of Constant Sorrow got back home ok   :drive:
I am home - safely. I ended up sleeping in the back of my truck in a downtown parking lot. I thought about getting an Uber to a hotel, but I'm a cheap ###.

As a little back drop for the audience - to the left is Mike Schmuhl and the two staffers who were ready to leave...

To the right - the man in the hat is our very own @Man of Constant Sorrow
I made sure to get under the buffalo. 

Won't be completely happy w all this til i get a check-in from MoCS. No FFA activity in 12 hours. He could be dead in a ditch or, worse, swept away like Kramer in Scarsdale Surprise and now Mayor Pete's Vice-Chairman of Hats
Worse than dead in a ditch?

Actually, I am now in contact with Mayor Pete's team for my photos. Once they review them, I'll post my coverage. Not sure when, tho - but soon.

I had a really great time. @Sinn Fein is a worthy dude. Thnx for turning me on to this, man. I'll add more later, with the photos.

I am home - safely. I ended up sleeping in the back of my truck in a downtown parking lot. I thought about getting an Uber to a hotel, but I'm a cheap ###.

I made sure to get under the buffalo. 

Worse than dead in a ditch?

Actually, I am now in contact with Mayor Pete's team for my photos. Once they review them, I'll post my coverage. Not sure when, tho - but soon.

I had a really great time. @Sinn Fein is a worthy dude. Thnx for turning me on to this, man. I'll add more later, with the photos.
Hey now, don't go busting in on Chasten's turf.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread