What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Pete Buttigieg Thread *** (3 Viewers)

This is awesome!

BUT...........I'm not sure if the campaign really wants that sort of thing to be on the innerwebs for all to see........

and then I suggested someone who is an advocate for Pete, but not on the campaign, that might make a good candidate - Kareemah Fowler who is a City Clerk in South Bend.  And, they both kind of looked at each other and thought she might be able to do so promos of that variety.
Team Pete HQ Retweeted

Team Pete HQ @PeteForAmerica

“One of my biggest advocates as I thought about running for office—a leader who inspired me in my journey to public service—was Mayor @PeteButtigieg

.” —@KareemahFowler

:yes:

(this is a retweet of something that was originally tweeted a month ago, but...interesting timing on the re-tweet...)

thnx much.

Also, I want to add a preface b4 the rest come out. As mentioned Thursday, this was a *no flash* event. So, I went for emotion over technical quality. For those photogs out there, I raised my iso as far as I could (edit: comfortably - 3200 for the most part), and shot wide open aperture - free hand (as tripods were too big and even my monopad was too clumsy for my needs). I have done no noise reduction either. I may later, but am not really too concerned with it; it keeps things a little better focused, imo. Development is minimal also. I may adjust things b4 final shots are published.

Thus, expect lots of motion - hopefully, with excellent emotion.

I think Sinn killed it here.

More over the next few days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Act III - the finale

So, I am finishing my drink, just observing - Lis and Mike are each greeting lines of people - and they were very gracious about it - they took time with everyone who came up to them - and while I realize that is their job at a fundraiser like this - this was not the high rollers that @ren hoek is worried about - I think the goal for the evening was $3000 - which I am sure they met.  

They each have different personalities - Lis is very engaging, while Mike is much more business-like.

At some point, I decide I am ready to head out - as I go out the front door, I run into MoCS who is engaged in conversation with Mayor Gray's cousin, I think. 

I end up deciding to go back upstairs one last time - and when I get up there I see Mike and Lis sitting together off to the side, both with their phones out.

At that point, I honestly have no idea what came over me - but I just walked up to them and said "Can we talk?"  The introvert in me was probably drugged and bound at that point.

They both looked at me, put their phones down and said "sure!".  And so I decided to lead with something easy, and said "What are you guys going to do about your African-American problem?"  And, for the next 10 or so minutes, we were engaged in a discussion the likes of which I never imagined I would have.  It probably helped that outside of those two, I probably knew more about Pete's campaign and strategy than anyone else in the room.

I spoke to Lis about the recent videos she had done - about empowering women, and how important it was to her to have a seat at the table. I told them, thats what they needed to find - an African-American who could have a seat at their table and have their voice be heard.  And we were actually going back and forth with the names of some of the people on staff who might fit that role - I think they were a little surprised that I knew who the people were - and then I suggested someone who is an advocate for Pete, but not on the campaign, that might make a good candidate - Kareemah Fowler who is a City Clerk in South Bend.  And, they both kind of looked at each other and thought she might be able to do so promos of that variety.

We talked about a Photo Op Pete did yesterday - and I said I thought it was not the right image.  Mike, is not a twitter user, and had no idea what I was talking about, but Lis immediately chimed in - I know exactly what you are talking about.  Its a photo that shows Pete with a bunch of wealthy people.  Its not the kind of photo op that will encourage more support from the African-American community.

We go back and forth on a few other things when something came up about twitter - and I mentioned that I thought her tweet (I posted it above in this thread) about reminding supporters to play nice on twitter, and that attacking others really hurts Pete's message - she had this big smile, and explained the back story to Mike and we talked about the effect that Bernie Bros had last cycle, and how nobody from the campaign ever spoke out about it.  She had a few choice words for some of the other campaigns in this regard...  She then pulls her phone back out and:  "Lis Smith  followed you"  on twitter.  I've got 30 nobodies who follow me - and Lis Smith

At some point Mayor Gray and his entourage were leaving - and I kind of assumed my time was up, so that they could go say their good-byes - but Lis told me to stay and they shouted their good-byes from where we were sitting.  We continued to chat about the campaign in general (They really think they have Warren beat in Iowa, and elsewhere, based on the healthcare debate - they see that as a real long-term winner v. Warren) until the two staffers walked up, bags in hand, hinting that they were ready to leave.  (The whole entourage had arrived at the bar directly from the airport, and I am sure the staffers were dead tired after a few full days in Atlanta, travel, and no dinner yet.)

So I get up, and Lis says "Hey, come here let me give you a hug!" - which turns into, "never mind, I'll come to you."   And, at that moment, for the first time, I kind of realized that I had made a real connection with Lis (and Mike) beyond just perfunctory meet and greets.  We had engaged in real meaningful conversation - there was an actual back and forth.

So, the light goes off in my head, and I realize that the only reason I am here is to get that video for @fatguyinalittlecoat and, while I never would have randomly asked either one to do this - I figured I now had enough equity to at least make the ask.  And so I just said, "I know a guy - from the internet, who has a daughter - could you make a quick happy birthday video?"  Instant - "Sure, I would love to what's her name?"  "Well, this is the weird part - she thinks Pete is fake gay, and could you please confirm he is gay in the video?" (At that point there was a little back and forth where I convinced her this was legit - just wanted to prove to her that Pete was gay).  She was a great sport - the video is above, which she ad-libed the whole thing - I only gave her Talia's name.

I then got my hug, I wished her good luck on the campaign and my final question was: "So what is Phase 4?"

Big smile on her face - "Winning the whole thing!"

I know I sound like a little school kid - and I probably acted that way last night - but I can't imagine two nicer people in the middle of a campaign, where the days are long, and tensions run high.  I have full confidence that Mayor Pete is in excellent hands.
Thanks so much for all this detail. Fascinating stuff and made my day. 

Two last tidbits from me:

1.  At some point while Lis and Mike were talking - and for the life of me I can't recall who, or even the context, but one of them concluded a thought with "...and you can take that to the bank!"  And MoCS and I immediately turned to each other as said: " @SWC !"  So, even though he was not there in person, I think whenever two or more FBGs are together, SWC is always around in spirit - you can take that to the bank, bromigos!

2.  When I was talking to Lis and Mike, I mentioned that I was disappointed that she had not worn her big sunglasses.  If you follow the campaign at all on twitter or other social media, frequently you see a picture of Lis she is wearing over-sized sunglasses - even when you would not think they were necessary - like on the back of the bus when they did the media tour.  She laughed, but then explained there was a practical reason for the sunglasses - particularly on the bus where she was sitting behind Pete, and facing all the media - the sunglasses helped hide any reactions she had to questions asked or answers given - so as not to give anything away to the media.  Pro tip.

And MoCS and I immediately turned to each other as said: " @SWC !" 
@Sinn Fein @Man of Constant Sorrow

This is something I've asked on here elsewhere a million years ago, but this seems like a decent place to ask again, just to get new data points:

When you said "SWC!" how did you pronounce it?  Spell it out?  "Swik"?  "Swiss"?  Other?

This is important.

• Thinking
Reactions: SWC
@Sinn Fein @Man of Constant Sorrow

This is something I've asked on here elsewhere a million years ago, but this seems like a decent place to ask again, just to get new data points:

When you said "SWC!" how did you pronounce it?  Spell it out?  "Swik"?  "Swiss"?  Other?

This is important.
 I said S-W-C spelled out, but I think MoCS pronounced it "swisser" - adding the gratuitous -er to the end.

ETA - (Side note, I may not be the best test case here - SWC happen to be my initials  :oldunsure: , so I am more prone to spell it out... )

I said S-W-C spelled out, but I think MoCS pronounced it "swisser" - adding the gratuitous -er to the end.

ETA - (Side note, I may not be the best test case here - SWC happen to be my initials  :oldunsure: , so I am more prone to spell it out... )
Thanks.

Glad to see at least one of you did it right. :)

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
1.  At some point while Lis and Mike were talking - and for the life of me I can't recall who, or even the context, but one of them concluded a thought with "...and you can take that to the bank!" 
I do have to disagree slightly here. I am 99.99% sure that who ever said it, concluded with, "bromigos". Well, that is what I heard.

And MoCS and I immediately turned to each other as said: " @SWC !"  So, even though he was not there in person, I think whenever two or more FBGs are together, SWC is always around in spirit - you can take that to the bank, bromigos!
This is truth. 👍

As a little back drop for the audience - to the left is Mike Schmuhl and the two staffers who were ready to leave...

To the right - the man in the hat is our very own @Man of Constant Sorrow
Smart of MOCS to wear that hat if he was going to stand under the snout of that critter on the wall.  that thing looked like it could still be having some nasal discharge so a protective hat was a wise precaution.

Smart of MOCS to wear that hat if he was going to stand under the snout of that critter on the wall.  that thing looked like it could still be having some nasal discharge so a protective hat was a wise precaution.
He probably didn't notice it because he usually carries an umbrella to protect his hats

Dear Team Pete,

Please restock your "Veterans for Pete" shirts in size XL.  Yes, I'm on the notify list, but I'm very impatient I want one like two weeks ago.

TIA,

beef
Also, if it's not too much to ask, maybe add a few more colors?  I'd like to order 8 so I can wear one every day and twice on Sunday.  I'm really horrible at keeping up with laundry and don't want people to think I never change my shirt.

TIA

He probably didn't notice it because he usually carries an umbrella to protect his hats
Gentlemen,, while you both are correct (e.g. I'm smart, and I usually carry an umbrella to protect me hats), please note the following:

I made sure to get under the buffalo. 
In Traditional Chinese Medicine, water buffalo horn (Cornu bubali) is used to help with "dispelling heat, relieving convulsions and cooling blood."

In my particular practice of Baguazhang we use the snot for similar purposes. Since there was no flash allowed during photos, I needed all the snot I could get, in order to minimize my convulsing. 

Plus, it works nearly as well as Dapper Dan as a pomade.

Oh, go Pete.

I imagine just saying "Baguazhang" raises a good deal of snot. Go Pete!
Keen observation.

The word was formulated by ancient Chinese Taoist monks to achieve that very thing. Unfortunately, it was harder to teach the water buffalo to pronounce it properly, thus, snot farming is not quite as efficient as it could be.

GO PETE!!!

Maybe black voters ought to make an effort to connect with him.   
I disagree.  The onus is on Pete to reach voters with his message.

I also think its lazy journalism to suggest that Pete does well in Iowa and New Hampshire because they have very few minority voters.  I think that is a small part of it, but the bigger part is Pete has worked very hard campaigning in Iowa (and New Hampshire).  The recent Selzer poll had a cross-tab showing that Pete had the highest percentage of voters who had seen him at a function.  Pete's numbers have always improved when people meet him.

I think the same is, and will be, true in places like South Carolina.  But, Pete has not yet put in the work to be able to get those results.  And, even the times he has gone to South Carolina, he ends up attracting majority white audiences.  Pete needs to roll up his proverbial sleeves, and meet voters on their turf.  He needs to go out into communities, rather than try to stage events.  Every candidate ends up going to churches, but I think Pete should try to line up a few appearances at economically poor schools - meet with students and teachers.  Listen to the concerns of teachers - who live in and around those communities, and also see the impacts of community-wide issues in their students.  Learn from those discussions and then apply those ideas into stump speeches and future debate work.

I think Pete can do it - but he needs to remember where he was polling in Iowa in February, and recall all the things he did to move to the forefront.  There is no magic involved - just hard work. 

good luck with that
They could continue their blind and nearly monolithic support of the establishment Democrat.  After all, that has worked well for them in the past.  Its not as if their votes are taken for granted and often purchased for less value than the Dutch used to purchase Manhattan.

I also think its lazy journalism to suggest that Pete does well in Iowa and New Hampshire because they have very few minority voters.  I think that is a small part of it, but the bigger part is Pete has worked very hard campaigning in Iowa (and New Hampshire).  The recent Selzer poll had a cross-tab showing that Pete had the highest percentage of voters who had seen him at a function.  Pete's numbers have always improved when people meet him.

I think the same is, and will be, true in places like South Carolina.  But, Pete has not yet put in the work to be able to get those results.  And, even the times he has gone to South Carolina, he ends up attracting majority white audiences.  Pete needs to roll up his proverbial sleeves, and meet voters on their turf.  He needs to go out into communities, rather than try to stage events.  Every candidate ends up going to churches, but I think Pete should try to line up a few appearances at economically poor schools - meet with students and teachers.  Listen to the concerns of teachers - who live in and around those communities, and also see the impacts of community-wide issues in their students.  Learn from those discussions and then apply those ideas into stump speeches and future debate work.

I think Pete can do it - but he needs to remember where he was polling in Iowa in February, and recall all the things he did to move to the forefront.  There is no magic involved - just hard work. 
The concepts are not opposed or mutually exclusive.  I am confident Mayor Pete will put in the effort.  He clearly is no stranger to hard work.

Totally agree. The big question is, is there time enough left to pull that off in a number of states?

Totally agree. The big question is, is there time enough left to pull that off in a number of states?
The problem too is if he takes his foot off the gas in Iowa and New Hampshire to focus on South Carolina (and other southern states) he might lose his recent gains.  

This makes sense to me.

I have a more general question less about Buttigieg and more about effectively getting a message out.

I agree completely with the power of personal meeting and taking the time to listen. It's how I try to do things in my real life. I'm a huge believer in it. 

It's no news though that this style has a big problem: It doesn't scale. 

Wondering general thoughts on this as well as specific as it relates to Buttigieg. 

I agree completely with the power of personal meeting and taking the time to listen. It's how I try to do things in my real life. I'm a huge believer in it. 
+1  My entire career I've taken the time to visit people around the office rather than phone/e-mail every time.  Knowing everyone you work with as a person makes office life better and goes a long way if/when you hit a bumpy patch and/or need a favor.

And, on-topic... Pete's trending on Twitter right now with a ban-worthy hashtag.  Not sure exactly what it's about, but it definitely relates to his potential issues with the black community.

This makes sense to me.

I have a more general question less about Buttigieg and more about effectively getting a message out.

It's no news though that this style has a big problem: It doesn't scale. 

Wondering general thoughts on this as well as specific as it relates to Buttigieg. 
Not sure it doesn't scale, (e.g. the shin dig @Sinn Fein and @Man of Constant Sorrow related above - no Pete, but no less effective). It takes a lot of time to wander around to meet Americans in their habitat even with a large campaign staff - so with only a year before the actual election, sligtly over half a year to the end of the primaries, how many states can Pete's machine create a groundswell in?

Not sure it doesn't scale, (e.g. the shin dig @Sinn Fein and @Man of Constant Sorrow related above - no Pete, but no less effective). It takes a lot of time to wander around to meet Americans in their habitat even with a large campaign staff - so with only a year before the actual election, sligtly over half a year to the end of the primaries, how many states can Pete's machine create a groundswell in?
Yes, the answer likely lies there. Truthfully though, I believe it's way less effective sending others than if Buttigieg had actually been there in person. But the reality is it's still obviously very effective. 

It's a "divide and conquer" type thing that is likely the answer. 

And it's not a unique problem. I have a friend who's a great doctor. Everyone wants to see him. The reality is he can only see a finite number of people. If he's going to grow his practice, he has to add other good doctors patients will be happy with. Maybe not quite as happy as they'd be with him. But still happy.

I think that's likely the answer. 

Yes, the answer likely lies there. Truthfully though, I believe it's way less effective sending others than if Buttigieg had actually been there in person. But the reality is it's still obviously very effective. 

It's a "divide and conquer" type thing that is likely the answer. 

And it's not a unique problem. I have a friend who's a great doctor. Everyone wants to see him. The reality is he can only see a finite number of people. If he's going to grow his practice, he has to add other good doctors patients will be happy with. Maybe not quite as happy as they'd be with him. But still happy.

I think that's likely the answer. 
Ideally Pete needs to go himself, no doubt, but he can't, obviously. What he can do is to be a mainstay on the nighttime entertainment circuit (thus "meeting" people in their homes) - and if he wants to make inroads with minorities he'll also have to be seen meeting them and relating to them and their issues in a way that is authentic.

Here's a potential issue, though. He is thoughtful and measured. Someone seeking to redress (real or percieved) injustice may want more action/forcefulness than that.

I suspect once any community or demographic starts believing that he may win, or at least be the nominee, that they will warm to his message.  Politics breeds pragmatism in many.  If he does well or wins Iowa and New Hampshire and if he has been doing his work, even to no obvious effect right away in N.C., voters may hew to him in droves as their preferred candidates are eliminated or mortally wounded.  For so many it is not about our guy, or gal, it is about not theirs.

Pete's really made his lack of black support even worse lately.

IMO.

He's a highly intelligent guy.  But as Jimmy Dore alluded to recently, he shows you how smart he is and is intentionally vague at the same time.

Very well written.  Lots to unpack in there.   Some great points; some strange assumptions.  Good read, thanks for sharing.
I have now read it. There are a ton of assumptions based on this 27 second clip. What he said, in and of itself, seems accurate. To conclude he was being dismissive or ignorant of the root causes of the issue (under-funding, etc), you would need to see a transcript of what else was said and what question he was answering. 

This is the article behind the tweets. I haven' read it yet, but a quick scan does show NSFW language. https://www.theroot.com/pete-buttigieg-is-a-lying-mf-1840038708
I read it - but I don't really think that Pete's point is wrong.  Incomplete, but not necessarily wrong.

But - this is taken from Pete's Douglass Plan:

America needs to create an educational system that trains and empowers the next generation of Black scientists, artists, writers, college professors, lawyers, tech entrepreneurs, doctors, software engineers, police officers, teachers, and so much more. Yet today, too many children of color are being denied educational justice. From a lack of adequate resources, to critical teacher shortages, to discriminatory disciplinary policies that reduce instruction time and feed the school-to-prison pipeline, students of color are far too often not afforded the same educational opportunities as their white peers. And when the intellectual lives of students of color are diminished, America loses. 

This opportunity gap causes over $500 billion in lost economic growth annually 9 and is one of the most significant contributors to the perpetuation of the Black-white wealth gap. Most people’s wealth is built through well-paid work10, but many Black students have been denied equal access to excellent education and in-demand job skills. The Schools of the Future Plan is our commitment to providing the resources needed to ensure every American child gains access to the skills they need to meet the economy of the future.

We will invest in an equitable public education system by massively increasing federal resources for students at Title I schools. Schools that serve students who come to school hungry, who lack access to high-quality health care, who experience homelessness, and who know firsthand the indignity of racial discrimination need more resources–not less–if they are to experience opportunity equal to their peers. A Buttigieg Administration will dramatically increase Title I funding to support higher teacher pay and supplemental services for lower-income students above and beyond state and local funding resources.

We will issue new regulations to diversify the teaching profession. By 2024, a minority of students in our public schools will identify as white, but 82% of teachers still identify as white.11 Studies show that same-race teachers can have an enormous impact: Black students with at least one Black teacher in grades 3-5 are much more likely to graduate high school and attend college.12 That is why we will require new transparency around teacher hiring procedures: states will disaggregate their applicant and hiring by race and document teacher diversity initiatives as part of their Every Student Succeeds Act school improvement plans. We will also set new guidelines around the use of Title II funds to invest in recruiting, training, and supporting the next generation of school leaders of color.

We will invest in high-quality state and local educational programs. We will increase federal investments and incentivize state and local investments in middle school, high school, and college programs to increase readiness and competitiveness for Black women and men in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) and fields of growing employment opportunities, especially health professions, software, finance, and alternative energy.

This, I think goes to the heart of the complaints in the article.

Very well written.  Lots to unpack in there.   Some great points; some strange assumptions.  Good read, thanks for sharing.
The root pretty much never has anything well written. That article is just more of the same from them. Those stats he uses are all junk. Cherry picked. Those reports started with a desired outcome and then eliminated categories of funding and percentages of people to get where they wanted to get to. Start looking at the fiscal reports for the most heavily populated minority districts in the country and you can quickly see their math doesn't add up. 

Something else that bothered me about the Root article:

"To this day, no one has ever built a bridge over that ditch."

I don't know Mr. Harriot, but he seems moderately successful.  I struggle to understand why he wants to point fingers at society - when he hasn't lifted a finger himself.  It seems to me that local politicians need to work on school transportation and/or build a safe walkway along that path, and over the creek/ditch.

Pete was always going to face an uphill battle with blacks since they are the racial group least LGBT friendly.  However, I've also noticed elements of the far-left creating a meme culture around the idea that Pete just hates blacks.  It is concerning and reminds me of the propaganda used to depress turnout in 2016.

I don't know Mr. Harriot, but he seems moderately successful.  I struggle to understand why he wants to point fingers at society - when he hasn't lifted a finger himself.  It seems to me that local politicians need to work on school transportation and/or build a safe walkway along that path, and over the creek/ditch.
It’s a fair question to ask of Harriot:  “why haven’t you made it a personal mission to get a bridge built over that ditch?”

Pete was always going to face an uphill battle with blacks since they are the racial group least LGBT friendly.  However, I've also noticed elements of the far-left creating a meme culture around the idea that Pete just hates blacks.  It is concerning and reminds me of the propaganda used to depress turnout in 2016.
So it's started...

That's of course if it actually exists as the only way to get to school outside of the massive delay he speaks of. 

By that point in the article I am interpreting that ditch as being metaphorical. Read this sentence again:

To this day, no one has ever built a bridge over that ditch. But over the years, so many people have walked that same path, that the banks eventually wore down and became crossable.

Users who are viewing this thread