Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sinn Fein

*** Official Pete Buttigieg Thread ***

9 minutes ago, Sneegor said:

Understand your point but it isn't apples to apples.  Laws currently do criminalize murder, which essentially is what abortion is.  

This is a Catholic support piece for Klobuchar (apologies Pete fans)...it originally appeared in the National Catholic Reporter.  Just an example of someone who has reconciled the teachings of the Catholic faith with the secular realities of abortion in our political/legal system.

Klobuchar is pro-choice, but that is not a problem for me. I, too, am pro-choice, although I have been a Catholic for 81 years (and a product of Catholic schools for the first 14 years of my education). When I ran for our state Legislature many decades ago, I was asked about my position on this issue. After some profound soul-searching, I decided that my personal moral choices need not be forced on others, just as their personal moral choices should not be forced on me.

http://www.startribune.com/a-catholic-case-for-amy-klobuchar/567840882/

• Like 2

Well, we can solve this very quickly.  Just show us all in the Bible where God or Jesus speaks out against abortion, which was something that was practiced during the times it was written and written about.  I mean, there's an entire passage about what the punishment should be for a woman who tries to help her husband in a fight and grabs the opponent by the testicIes (Deuteronomy 25:11-12) so obviously if God wanted us to know what to do about abortion, we should have a clear answer in the Bible.

Edited by Henry Ford
  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

3 hours ago, VandyMan said:

So Catholics should only support candidates who will faithfully execute the existing laws, as currently interpreted by SCOTUS? Abortion is legal, murder is not.

ETA: IMO abortion shouldn't even be a consideration when considering candidates for the office of President. President doesn't make laws, Congress does. President doesn't influence how laws are interpreted, SCOTUS does. Seems like people should focus on things that are actually pertinent to the job they are electing someone to fill.

ETA2: Gonna yield to RHE on this.

POTUS appoints judges to the SCOTUS.  Trump has appointed two, so far.  

1 hour ago, Henry Ford said:

Well, we can solve this very quickly.  Just show us all in the Bible where God or Jesus speaks out against abortion, which was something that was practiced during the times it was written and written about.  I mean, there's an entire passage about what the punishment should be for a woman who tries to help her husband in a fight and grabs the opponent by the testicIes (Deuteronomy 25:11-12) so obviously if God wanted us to know what to do about abortion, we should have a clear answer in the Bible.

From my reading of that passage/verse the use of pronouns leaves the matter in some doubt.  Is she grabbing the other fellas wedding tackle, or her husbands?

Just now, Ditkaless Wonders said:

From my reading of that passage/verse the use of pronouns leaves the matter in some doubt.  Is she grabbing the other fellas wedding tackle, or her husbands?

The other fella's.  

1 minute ago, Henry Ford said:

The other fella's.  

That is what I presume, but the passage is not clear.  You would think the divinely inspired word would be clear.  This passage would not have passed muster with my 7th grade English teacher. 

Overpopulation is by far the biggest threat to humanity, with the burden primarily being shouldered by the world's most impoverished people. The poorer you are, the more gets piled on.

Of course, now that the first world is getting less and less interested in being preached to, those same populations are the new targets of the biology=immoral message, just like they were for tobacco companies and countries looking to dump their toxic waste and pollution so the problem can be ignored. Meanwhile, the rapid spread of factory farming and automation is removing the last rural way to make a living, resulting in a worldwide crisis in farmer suicide, while what's left of the family picks up and moves to the city, joining the rest to work for pennies an hour while human waste runs down the streets between the crumbling buildings. Sucks that they have to bring their kids with them until they're old to work, but they were probably born ###### or cancerous anyway so no big whoop.

Yes, learning about the shameful, sinful parts of the human body or anything else that might reduce unwanted pregnancy is the real crime here, folks. These people need saving. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

It’s explicitly NOT what murder is. Or more precisely, it’s not what homicide is. Which is the unlawful killing of a human being. Lawful killings (self-defense, government executions, etc.), are not, by definition, murder.   And thus, neither are abortions. 

Your position is that abortions are legally equivalent to murder. Fine.  But it is worth pointing out, for the millionth time, that it was the very faith you espouse that created the doctrine that has, for centuries, excluded abortion from the definition of murder. 

This is very well stated as a matter of law, but couldn’t you sexy it up with a “you can’t handle the truth!” or a sexy surprise expert on positraction?

17 hours ago, VandyMan said:

ETA: IMO abortion shouldn't even be a consideration when considering candidates for the office of President. President doesn't make laws, Congress does. President doesn't influence how laws are interpreted, SCOTUS does. Seems like people should focus on things that are actually pertinent to the job they are electing someone to fill.

Presidents appoint the SCOTUS justices who determine whether abortion will be legal or not, and under what circumstances.  For some people (on both sides of the issue) that's hugely important.  

I’ll certainly vote for Pete if he’s the nominee. Although it’s only February, as of now it seems like it will be Pete or Bernie, and I’m ok with either over Donald Trump. It’s high time to reverse the ignoracracy the country has been devolving into. Too many important outstanding issues to address, not just “401ks though”. Healthcare, climate change, compassionate immigration all come to mind.

• Like 1

Pete Buttigieg @PeteButtigieg

My plan lets everyone choose a public plan without forcing anyone off their private plans. The question is whether you trust the American people—including the working people of

@culinary226—to make the health care choice that's right for them. I do. Why don't you?

https://twitter.com/PeteButtigieg/status/1228518501792518145

Mayor Pete killing two birds with one stone. Going after the culinary union and hitting Bernie where he's weakest there.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2020 at 1:04 PM, wikkidpissah said:

no one who read the first 50 pgs of this thread (5%?) would indulge the notion that Peteyjudge was not a leftist - as he alluded to this week, he wrote a paper on Bernie Sanders for a Profiles In Courage contest in high school. 

In 2016 he endorsed Hillary Clinton.  He has disturbing views on national security that reveal him to be another prowar sellout.  He takes money from bigtime corporate donors.  They don't seem to have any reservations about whether peteyjudge is going to do what they want- they know he's a reliable conduit for their interests.  That is why they keep giving him money.  

He's an empty suit- his progressive policy papers don't mean anything. 

5 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

In 2016 he endorsed Hillary Clinton.  He has disturbing views on national security that reveal him to be another prowar sellout.  He takes money from bigtime corporate donors.  They don't seem to have any reservations about whether peteyjudge is going to do what they want- they know he's a reliable conduit for their interests.  That is why they keep giving him money.  

Who didn't among notable Democrats? 

And peteyjudge? Please. 

13 minutes ago, squistion said:

Who didn't among notable Democrats? 

And peteyjudge? Please. 

Democrats or progressives?  

10 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

Democrats or progressives?  

Notable Democrats. I have trouble recalling any off the top of my head who didn't endorse Hillary, as they understood the basic concept that a vote not for Hillary was by default a vote for Trump and or Republicans. 

1 minute ago, squistion said:

Notable Democrats. I have trouble recalling any off the top of my head who didn't endorse Hillary, as they understood the basic concept that a vote not for Hillary was by default a vote for Trump and or Republicans. 

Yeah, a lot of Notable Democrats endorsed Hillary, and then she lost to Trump.  So their judgment was pretty bad.  Hopefully people learned their lesson that 'not Trump' is an extremely low bar, and not good enough to win.

I've seen it posited that Buttigieg's dad was a fullblown Marxist, leftist, whatever you want to call it.  Wild that he ended up being the corporate candidate. 

1 hour ago, ren hoek said:

Do you just randomly copy-paste the same thing every couple pages?

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1

1 hour ago, ren hoek said:

Bernie Sanders also endorsed Clinton. 

2 hours ago, Henry Ford said:

Bernie Sanders also endorsed Clinton. 

Didn't Elisabeth Warren and Joe Biden endorse Hillary? Maybe Amy even...

3 hours ago, ren hoek said:

I've seen it posited that Buttigieg's dad was a fullblown Marxist, leftist, whatever you want to call it.  Wild that he ended up being the corporate candidate. 

Perhaps he learned from his fathers mistakes

2 hours ago, msommer said:

Or perhaps he is actually a pretty liberal candidate despite the propaganda and smears from the far left

Edited by Slapdash

1 hour ago, msommer said:

You mean because he’s gay?

• Love 1
  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

51 minutes ago, Slapdash said:

Or perhaps he is actually a pretty liberal candidate despite the propaganda and smears from the fat left

Going to start using this. 

• Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

11 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

Going to start using this. 

Oops #noban

1 hour ago, Henry Ford said:

You mean because he’s gay?

No, because he is not a full blown Marxist

48 minutes ago, msommer said:

No, because he is not a full blown Marxist

That’s nowhere near as funny as mine.

Edit: unless... when you say “full-blown”...?

Edited by Henry Ford
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1

My 16 year old daughter, the leading internet proponent of the “Mayor Pete is faking being gay” theory, just told me about another mini-controversy.  It Is relatable to all of us here that have accidentally posted something from the wrong alias account.

Apparently top Buttigieg staffer Lis Smith has been using a fake twitter account to promote both Pete and herself, and to bad mouth other candidates in the race.

Here’s the (now deleted) tweet where she screwed up.  She accidentally tweeted from the fake account when it was supposed to be coming from her real account.  Read through the comments to this tweet for some of the stuff that was tweeted from the questionable account.  Here’s a good tweet compiling a few of the comments.

This is a link to the profile of the “Pete Buttigieg supporter from Nigeria” that was allegedly really Lis Smith.

Hooray internet!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 3

24 minutes ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

My 16 year old daughter, the leading internet proponent of the “Mayor Pete is faking being gay” theory, just told me about another mini-controversy.  It Is relatable to all of us here that have accidentally posted something from the wrong alias account.

Apparently top Buttigieg staffer Lis Smith has been using a fake twitter account to promote both Pete and herself, and to bad mouth other candidates in the race.

Here’s the (now deleted) tweet where she screwed up.  She accidentally tweeted from the fake account when it was supposed to be coming from her real account.  Read through the comments to this tweet for some of the stuff that was tweeted from the questionable account.  Here’s a good tweet compiling a few of the comments.

This is a link to the profile of the “Pete Buttigieg supporter from Nigeria” that was allegedly really Lis Smith.

Hooray internet!

Maybe Skip Bayless helped her set it up?

Also - Good reminder how easily "vicious Bernie Bros" can be faked

As much as I do like Pete, that's a pretty big oof, and seems like it could definitely be real.

On 2/13/2020 at 3:08 PM, Sneegor said:

Alleged adultery.

As a guy who didn’t vote for Trump in 2016 you sure are all the way in now.  

• Like 1

Miguel Bloombergo @CarlDrogosen

Come on David! Nigerians sprinkle Yiddish into their speech all the time!

tonys ducks

look, the nigerian jews have been through enough

44 minutes ago, mcintyre1 said:

As much as I do like Pete, that's a pretty big oof, and seems like it could definitely be real.

She’s denying it.

2 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

She’s denying it.

That’s pretty dumb. I looked through it and thought “Oh, come on, this must be a joke. No one would ever actually believe this person is Nigerian, it must be her tongue in cheek funny account.”

Denying it kinda blows that out of the water. 

She's running the Anthony Weiner twitter snafu playbook to perfection.

• Laughing 1

The only thing she has going for her is that the tweet itself was apparently a direct copy and paste from a campaign email.  So I guess it could theoretically be anyone. 

I'm leaning toward it not being her account.

If she were going to make a fake pro-Buttigieg account, why would it be foreign? How does that help?

Walker Bragman @WalkerBragman

Pete Buttigieg’s campaign falsely claimed the endorsements of 400 black South Carolinians. It falsely claimed the endorsement of Keegan-Michael Key.

Now, senior advisor Lis Smith has been accused of engaging in digital blackface—running a fake Nigerian account...wow.

I mean, this is pretty bad.  

32 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

https://twitter.com/CarlBeijer/status/1229117873790029824

Could it be real?  The lionheart...2@gmail fits the password reset.  What to make of the 'Hey.  It's Lis.' stuff though.  

Yeah, that's some pretty solid counter-evidence. I'm back on the probably not train. Won't kill the rumors/conspiracy though, I bet.

"I love my husband. I'm faithful to my husband," Pete Buttigieg said to CNN. "On stage, we usually just go for a hug. But I love him very much. And I'm not going to take lectures on family values from the likes of Rush Limbaugh."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/buttigieg-hits-back-i-won-t-take-lectures-family-values-n1137511

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mcintyre1 said:

Yeah, that's some pretty solid counter-evidence. I'm back on the probably not train. Won't kill the rumors/conspiracy though, I bet.

This is really fascinating.  I want it to be real, it would just be too comical.  I wouldn't put it real far past a former Cuomo aide to pull some stunt like this.  They already got caught using a stock photo of a Kenyan woman, and lying about the 400 black supporters for their Douglass Plan.  But it's only fair to temper our expectations when countervailing evidence appears.  

I searched Lis Smith's timeline for instances of the word 'phase'.  Apparently #PhaseFour is their 'go all out' strategy, outlined in this email.  Nothing too crazy.  I suppose it's conceivable that this Nigerian man is REALLY a huge Pete fan, and cut and pasted the first line of text from the campaign email and added 'Team Pete' before it, and just happens to really, really like Lis Smith a lot, and awaken at odd hours for a Nigerian, and post yiddish slang.  It'd just be very bizarre. 

For what it's worth, two of the three workers at the IT firm that employs a Chinedu Ikpechukwu are Nigerian.  Though Chinedu doesn't say anything to that effect on his 'about' page.  

I dunno- I look forward to hearing from our man Chinedu, hopefully he can clear this up!  

Something like this that could have a negative impact on her career and on the campaign itself, you'd think if it were untrue or if she was being "set up" she would come out and issue a very strong denial, not just try to tweet it away like it's harmless.