What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is Richard Dreyfuss's signature role? (1 Viewer)

Signature role

• Curt - American Graffiti

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Duffy- The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz

• Matt Hooper - Jaws

Votes: 58 46.0%
  • Eliott - The Goodbye Girl

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Roy - Close Encounters of the third kind

Votes: 36 28.6%
  • Moses - The Big Fix

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ken - Whose life is it anyway

• Dave - Down and out jn Beverly hills

• Chris - Stakeout

• Pete -Always

• Dr. LEO -What about Bob

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Senator Rumson - The American President

• Glenn - Mr Holland's Opus

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • **** Cheney - W

• Other

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters

badmojo1006

Footballguy
I know I left out a few, but he has had some good roles. 

It was down to Jaws and Close Encounters.  Went with Jaws and "This was no boating accident!"

But I first remember him as the chubby dweeb chasing Susanne Somers in American Graffiti. 

Well it proves one thing Mr. Hooper.  It proves that you wealthy college boys don't have the education enough to admit when you're wrong.

I saw Jaws pop up on Netflix a couple weeks ago.   Trying to get my 14 year old boy to watch it with me one of these nights.

I usually try to consider what the actor himself would say and that would likely be his Oscared turn in Goodbye Girl. But he'll always be Duddy to me

Last edited by a moderator:
He nailed it in Close Encounters, absolutely nailed it.  But I think the thing of it is, there is no Close Encounters if he doesn't crush the Matt Hooper role so well.
I have to give Close Encounters another shot. I watched it for the first time a couple years ago and could hardly keep myself paying attention to it. Maybe it was just the mood I was is but I was so bored. 

I have to give Close Encounters another shot. I watched it for the first time a couple years ago and could hardly keep myself paying attention to it. Maybe it was just the mood I was is but I was so bored. 
It's funny you say that because I was honestly in the same boat for years and years.  And I think for me, when I was much younger, when I saw that movie when it came out (compared with movies like Jaws, Star Wars, etc. that I saw in the same time frame) a lot of those other movies were big, action packed, fast moving movies.  And those really grabbed my attention but Close Encounters bored me to tears at that age (10-12) and then it was on a bazillion times on the regular channels filled with commercials so it made it even harder to pay attention for a young person.

Anyway, fast forward to my early 30's when I either rented it or watched it on a pay channel (HBO or whatever) and I remember thinking "wow, this is a really good movie, why was I so bored with it when I was a kid?"  Just my take.

He was great in Duddy Kravitz.

But he has so many great lines in Jaws.

"I don't think that you're gonna deal with this problem until it swims up and bites you in the ###!".

What about Bob.

But have a soft spot for Stakeout (even if the romance is a bit unbelievable)

He nailed it in Close encounters too.

Never liked Jaws, just one of those things

He was great in Jaws, yes. But when I think of Jaws, he isn't the first person I think of. When I think of Close Encounters otoh...

Three way tie for ME between Hooper, Roy and Dave - because I ####### loved that movie. 

*Would laugh my ### off watching him when watching the graduate baked. 

Users who are viewing this thread