What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Comp Pick System (1 Viewer)

Bojang0301

Omar4Heisman
Let’s discuss this nonsense: 

“Teams are gaming the comp pick system. Letting FA walk & not getting greedy. Picks can be traded.

>PHI has 3 (3rd/4th/4th)

-Combined value=37th pick overall

>NE has 2 (3rd/3rd)

-Combined value=43rd pick

>SEA has 4 (3rd/4th/6th/6th)

-Combined value=54th pick”

https://twitter.com/sharpfootball/status/1106383814748790785?s=21

To me this is becoming more egregious than the franchise tag. The players should be ashamed of themselves for the last CBA. This comp pick system now rewards teams for not participating in free agency. Houston and Indy sit there with about $70 mil open and I have to believe that part of that is to not gift teams comp picks. It is absolutely insane that almost three teams got the equivalent of a top 50 pick next year and several more got third round comps. This league is so flawed and ####ed. This sort of stuff is what should and will eventually dictate a strike or lockout. 

Last edited by a moderator:
teams know the system and the smart ones use it to its advantage, I think the end result is more trades in the off season and pre-deadline,  remember there were never trades except during the draft of picks....

I think people are making a little too much noise about this. The best compensatory pick you can get is the 97th overall pick. I'm pretty sure most teams would rather have a legit starting QB, LT, CB, edge defender. If people want to suggest the guys pulling in the huge money aren't the best at their position, that's a different topic (and I might not disagree on certain players). Put another way, if you went to a GM and asked would you rather have a starting worthy QB and forfeit the right to maybe gain a compensatory pick, I'm pretty sure they would rather have the QB.

The bigger question and issue here is why teams want to break the bank and sign a bunch of high priced players. That often (usually) is not the recipe to success. The teams that end up with a lot of compensatory picks are the ones that better allocate their salary cap dollars and generally don't overpay for contracts.

Pretty short sighted OP.  Complaining about teams accumulating comp picks with no comparative reference to the players they lost in FA that garnered those picks, or discussion of what kind of FA salary the lost players would have commanded had the team retained them, or complete disregard for any long term planning regarding how much teams might be likely to spend in the next two to three years in retaining their own to-be FAs or targeting players on other teams who might be likely to be FAs in the next two to three years is way too simplistic.  

This is a pretty complex subject with a lot of moving parts, but generally speaking on that simplistic level it seems as though the on-field value of the players lost to FA outweigh by a pretty good amount any draft capital the losing team acquires.

There's a spending floor.  Teams have to spend the money eventually.  The NFLPA doesn't give one hoot how the owners divide it up, all they care about is the overall $.  If you think the NFLPA is going to use bargaining equity on nonsense like that you are crazy.

My issue with the Compensatory Pick process is that I feel like it further rewards the better teams. To over-simplify things, some of the characteristics of the better teams are that they excel at drafting/developing players, have a long-term plan (and stick with it), and they have good cap discipline meaning they don't over-pay for guys.  Teams that do those three things well will almost certainly enjoy sustained success.

The teams that routinely draft well will acquire good players through the draft, which is the best and cheapest way to keep the team successful, and will generally mean the team won't normally have any huge holes to fill.  And when they don't have huge holes to fill, they are able to actually draft the best players available and target players that will fit their system, instead of always reaching for players and trying to fit square pegs in round holes.

The teams that have long-term plans will always be looking down the road, and drafting players to become starters down the road.  Schemes remain consistent, so they know what they're looking for as far as good scheme fits, and they don't need to do a roster overhaul every couple of years because they're always changing what they're trying to do.  They can truly employ the "next man up" philosophy.

And then, by maintaining good cap discipline, they aren't always re-structuring contracts for short-term relief.  They know what players are worth, and they don't overpay.  Since they've already got someone on the roster ready to step in, they can let players walk because they know they have someone that will work already ready to go.  And, since they don't need to fill major holes on their roster, they don't have to try to acquire as many free agents.

When a team is doing those things, they should already be very successful.  The teams that don't do those things well will always be trying to acquire the next big free agent to come in and save the day, which costs many times more than drafting someone.  These teams load up for a very short run, but often their window only lasts a season or two before they're in cap purgatory.

The comp picks reward the teams for doing those things well, which gives them further ammunition to enjoy even more success.

The comp picks reward the teams for doing those things well, which gives them further ammunition to enjoy even more success.

Oddly, that seems very appropriate to me.  If they develop players better than other teams and then lose them to teams that don’t do a good job through FA, that seems like a rationale argument for them being rewarded with compensatory picks.

Oddly, that seems very appropriate to me.  If they develop players better than other teams and then lose them to teams that don’t do a good job through FA, that seems like a rationale argument for them being rewarded with compensatory picks.
Except that every other system in place is designed to create parity.  This just shows that the good teams are good at using any particular advantage they can find, whereas the mediocre teams and bad teams cannot come up with their own formulas for success.  Instead they try to copy other teams, but copies are never as good as the original.

Success should be reward enough.  Teams that load up on free agents have rarely been successful in the short term, and pretty much never been successful long-term.

Maybe my perspective has something to do with the fact that I've been a Lions fan all of my life, and they've never excelled at any of the things I mentioned above.

Parity is overrated.  The goal shouldn’t actually be “32 teams equally competitive regardless of skill.”  The AAF feels that way right now.

The drat is a massive parity-creation mechanism in its own right.  In my opinion it is enough, and there’s nothing wrong with another system that rewards teams for doing what they should be doing - developing players to maximize their skills (and in the process helping them realize a big payday).

Except that every other system in place is designed to create parity.  This just shows that the good teams are good at using any particular advantage they can find, whereas the mediocre teams and bad teams cannot come up with their own formulas for success.  Instead they try to copy other teams, but copies are never as good as the original.

Success should be reward enough.  Teams that load up on free agents have rarely been successful in the short term, and pretty much never been successful long-term.

Maybe my perspective has something to do with the fact that I've been a Lions fan all of my life, and they've never excelled at any of the things I mentioned above.
If your team is run badly then they won't be successful no matter what rules you put in place. 

Help me out here.

The Eagles traded a 2020 6th round to the Bears for Jordan Howard. Howard is in the last year of his current deal. So, without an extension he will be a free agent in 2020.

Is it possible for the Eagles to receive a 3rd round compensatory pick for Howard in 2021?

Help me out here.

The Eagles traded a 2020 6th round to the Bears for Jordan Howard. Howard is in the last year of his current deal. So, without an extension he will be a free agent in 2020.

Is it possible for the Eagles to receive a 3rd round compensatory pick for Howard in 2021?
Depends on the contract howard signs and other free agents philly sign...3rd rounder isnt likely.....

Help me out here.

The annual average salaries used to determine comp picks aren't positionally adjusted. Even Ingram's deal with the Ravens which was for 3/$16M only converted to a 6th and no way Howard's getting more than that IMO.

The annual average salaries used to determine comp picks aren't positionally adjusted. Even Ingram's deal with the Ravens which was for 3/$16M only converted to a 6th and no way Howard's getting more than that IMO.
Ok so a 3rd is out of the question but getting a comp pick isn't out of the question.

Not a bad hustle. Give up a 2020 6th, use Howard in 2019 and possibly get a 2021 pick

Ok so a 3rd is out of the question but getting a comp pick isn't out of the question.

Not a bad hustle. Give up a 2020 6th, use Howard in 2019 and possibly get a 2021 pick
That’s partly why the Golden Tate trade wasn’t a complete disaster for the Eagles.  Sure they gave up a 3rd, but they’ll get a 4th back next year and they took a shot at a repeat (plus he scored the winning TD vs CHI in the WC game)

That’s partly why the Golden Tate trade wasn’t a complete disaster for the Eagles.  Sure they gave up a 3rd, but they’ll get a 4th back next year and they took a shot at a repeat (plus he scored the winning TD vs CHI in the WC game)
Yep, Philly has played the comp pick game quite well. 

Ted Lange as your Bartender said:
bad deflection off of ALshons hands or I think they beat the saints

Yenrub said:

And even if not, he'll still count as a FA lost (assuming SOMEONE picks him up) and might cancel out a lower tier FA we sign

Users who are viewing this thread