What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gout - Remedies? (1 Viewer)

Ron Swanson

Footballguy
I know there have been discussions on this before but I'm search impaired. My wife has a pretty nasty case of gout that has popped up. Any remedies other than no alcohol?

For immediate relief, take some Aleve, drink lots of water, and don't have any sugar or alcohol.

A co-worker used to get gout attacks on a regular basis and he fought it off by drinking cherry juice and taking fish oil pills every day.

Swap to a diet high in resistant starch.  Potatoes of all kinds should be a major feature at every meal or potentially the only feature.  

Diet is a minor factor for some.  You may have to have a long term plan to deal with this as it is similar to kidney stones.  Once it happens it tends to keep coming back. 

Everyone I know that has this has a bad diet, little exercise, and is heavy. Not sure if there are any short cuts.

A close friend had it and I know it can hurt like hell. He made huge lifestyle change and it has gone away for him.

I’ve had multiple gout flare ups over the past month. Have her go see a foot dr, and they’ll put her on Allopurinol. Unfortunately, she can’t take it in the middle of a flare up, but they can give her a cortisone shot in the meantime. 

Spent a ####ing decade plus of my life dealing with all issues around gout. Short term : keep prednisone (ideally) or other NSAID around and load up on that stuff at the first twinge or signal of an oncoming attack. 

Long term : get uric acid under control and people have fewer attacks. This has been proven over and over. 85 % of people have high uric acid due to kidneys and diet has minimal impact in this situation. By all means try diet as its free and might work. If not, take medication to keep uric acid low. If you can keep uric acid levels low, you will eventually have fewer attacks.

Source :hundreds of interviews with patients and physicians. Plus medical publications.

If you want to try cherry juice or other stuff, knock yourself out. In controlled studies it does not work but God bless the power of placebo. 

I know there have been discussions on this before but I'm search impaired. My wife has a pretty nasty case of gout that has popped up. Any remedies other than no alcohol?
My dad had it before and used Cherry Juice, Tumeric supplement, and something else.  Google it.  Agree with the aleve advice and ice it if you can stand it.  I've heard it's hurt just to have a bed sheet on it.

I used to get gout regularly, but lately I haven't had any issues.  I would drink a lot of water to remedy the situation, but I would also drink pure Cherry Juice, the stuff is tart and hard to drink on a regular basis, but I would drink a small glass every morning and it seemed to work pretty well.  

Just got diagnosed with this (technically hyperuricemia). My uric acid level is 9.1 which is apparently really high for someone who doesn't drink much, eats a healthy diet and exercises regularly. Looks like I'm going to be on allipurinol the rest of my life.

Just got diagnosed with this (technically hyperuricemia). My uric acid level is 9.1 which is apparently really high for someone who doesn't drink much, eats a healthy diet and exercises regularly. Looks like I'm going to be on allipurinol the rest of my life.
Do you drink much pop?  That is one of my triggers.

Try working in cranberry juice.

You probably got dealt bad kidneys in the genetic lottery.  Sucks.  Keep that uric acid below 6 and ideally 5 and you'll be fine.  Keep hydrated too. 

So, it turns out my wife didn't have gout.  But the Doc missed it too until she went to a podiatrist and got X-Rays.  Turned out to be a broken foot.  6 weeks or so in a boot and she's back to kicking my ### again.

So, it turns out my wife didn't have gout.  But the Doc missed it too until she went to a podiatrist and got X-Rays.  Turned out to be a broken foot.  6 weeks or so in a boot and she's back to kicking my ### again.
:shock:  How do you go from gout to a broken foot?

I thought I had gout about five years ago. I had about a week of rough pain at the base of the big toe with no obvious injury.

After reading up and self-doctoring, I was sure it was gout. Never went to a doctor. I took double doses of Aleve twice a day for two days, and the symptoms went away with nary a flare-up since. Due to the non-recurrence, I no longer think it was actually gout. Shared a lot of symptoms, though.

indomethacin - get it prescribed immediately.  Almost instant relief.  As a former gout sufferer - it was unbelievable.  The alloprurinol is preventative more than immediate relief.  

I'm telling you, you need this stuff.  I didn't travel without it for years.  

I thought I had gout about five years ago. I had about a week of rough pain at the base of the big toe with no obvious injury.

After reading up and self-doctoring, I was sure it was gout. Never went to a doctor. I took double doses of Aleve twice a day for two days, and the symptoms went away with nary a flare-up since. Due to the non-recurrence, I no longer think it was actually gout. Shared a lot of symptoms, though.
That is possible to have a flare-up once without recurrence for several years.  A uric acid test would confirm.  If you aren't on medication, uric acids are generally gonna run high, average or low - it's very unlikely that your uric acid has corrected since then.   But if I was you, I'd just wait to see if you have another episode.  At that point, take lots of NSAIDs and then have it checked via blood test. 

I had a gout attack about 4 years ago. At least, I believed it was gout, and doctor agreed it was likely.

I was woken by intense pain one morning, just from  weight of blanket on foot. The day before I had had painful urination, first and only time. The few days I suffered from gout were excruciating. I felt ridiculous but I was hopping around house on one foot, just contact with the floor with affected foot was very painful. Couldn’t walk for a few days, pain started in knuckle of big toe and spread up foot, foot actually became red and swollen, couldn’t even touch it. After that went away a few days later the same thing happened in my other foot except the pain and swelling were in middle toes and through sole of foot. It was weird and I’m still surprised at how painful it was.

Doctor told me I might expect chronic problems or it might not happen again for 15 years. So far, haven’t had it again. 

As an aside, I get plenty of exercise and am not overweight, actually on the slender side. My diet is pretty terrible though. And, when I had the tests done, doctor told me my uric acid levels were normal.  :shrug:

wife was complaining that her foot hurt last night. she got up in the middle of the night and tried to walk it off to no avail. this morning she was stretching her foot and toes.. telling me that she thinks it was plantar fasciitis.

she just texted to tell me she self-diagnosed turf toe based on her google searching.

i asked some questions.. she says "searing pain in my big toe. like someone is jamming an ice pick between my joints. it hurts so much!"

:welcome:

I don't know why I thought this ... but I had thought gout was very rare in women. Off to Google.

EDIT:

Guess I read stuff like this in the past and mentally overextended the effect:

Gout occurs more often in men, primarily because women tend to have lower uric acid levels. After menopause, however, women's uric acid levels approach those of men. Men are also more likely to develop gout earlier — usually between the ages of 30 and 50 — whereas women generally develop signs and symptoms after menopause.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know why I thought this ... but I had thought gout was very rare in women. Off to Google.
beats me. i could be way off but the way she's describing it sounds exactly like how it feels when my big toe gets to burninatin and feelin all stabby

beats me. i could be way off but the way she's describing it sounds exactly like how it feels when my big toe gets to burninatin and feelin all stabby
Could well be. I went back and double-checked what I thought I knew ... see above.

Everyone I know that has this has a bad diet, little exercise, and is heavy. Not sure if there are any short cuts.

A close friend had it and I know it can hurt like hell. He made huge lifestyle change and it has gone away for him.
This, at least to start.

I had a gout attack about 4 years ago. At least, I believed it was gout, and doctor agreed it was likely.

I was woken by intense pain one morning, just from  weight of blanket on foot. The day before I had had painful urination, first and only time. The few days I suffered from gout were excruciating. I felt ridiculous but I was hopping around house on one foot, just contact with the floor with affected foot was very painful. Couldn’t walk for a few days, pain started in knuckle of big toe and spread up foot, foot actually became red and swollen, couldn’t even touch it. After that went away a few days later the same thing happened in my other foot except the pain and swelling were in middle toes and through sole of foot. It was weird and I’m still surprised at how painful it was.

Doctor told me I might expect chronic problems or it might not happen again for 15 years. So far, haven’t had it again. 

As an aside, I get plenty of exercise and am not overweight, actually on the slender side. My diet is pretty terrible though. And, when I had the tests done, doctor told me my uric acid levels were normal.  :shrug:
i used to get a similar thing ever 6-12 months for a few years. First time I went to the ER thinking that I had to have a broken foot even though I had no idea how that could have happened.

Hasn't happened for a few years, maybe because I started getting better shoes for walking.  It might actually be more related to arthritis than gout.

I just opened this however I was gonna pipe in until I saw you replied.

I self diagnosed gout as well...>Turned out to be bunions.

My BIL has bad bouts of gout and swears by cherry juice concentrated supplements.  Far easier than drinking it and he says it works great.

i used to get a similar thing ever 6-12 months for a few years. First time I went to the ER thinking that I had to have a broken foot even though I had no idea how that could have happened.

Hasn't happened for a few years, maybe because I started getting better shoes for walking.  It might actually be more related to arthritis than gout.
I have no idea, just was going off my internet symptom searches and feedback from doctor back then. You very well could be right. As an aside, I haven’t  had that happen again since that time. I still can’t believe how excruciatingly painful it was. Weirdly so.

Check out the "anyone into fisting" thread......you might have some luck in there. 

Our pool guy had it. Could barely walk. Turns out he had eaten breakfast, lunch and dinner, every meal, at Carl’s Jr. - FOR TWO YEARS.  I guess that’s not good for you. 

No shellfish.   Got it once.  That’s what my podiatrist said was a leading culprit moreso than booze.   

Been taking Allopurinol for the last couple years after getting gout several times.  Haven't had gout since I started taking it.

I stopped drinking.  Have only had it once in the last 3 years.  Tomatoes did it for me.  Read that tomatoes can cause flairs.  Ate a boatload of them when they were ripe in my garden this year, few days later BAM! Gout.  Awful disease.

Well, Im so glad I found this forum. Hope someone finds this as useful as I did! 

Click Here for Relief

‘The End of Gout’ is for you if your choice is to be pain-free again.

The program:

Shows you the basic tweaks you can make to your diet that will attack your gout at its source

Offers you a ‘quick start’ process so you can start addressing gout symptoms today

Gives you back the health you once had and frees you from all the pain you’ve suffered up to now

Is 100% natural and has no side-effects (except some fat-loss)

Is available for you to download right now – so your healing can literally start in the next few minutes

Do this for yourself today. Start making a difference to your pain right now.Click Here for Relief

The End of Gout by Shelly Manning and Blue Heron Health News is an online program offering natural ways you can eliminate the pain and discomfort of gout. The End of Gout is a comprehensive guide for treating your pain and discomfort with food, a healthy lifestyle, stress management, self-care and more. It’s an easy-to-follow program that provides you with an abundance of valuable information so you know exactly what’s contributing to your gout and how to fix it.

See more at:
https://raincd.info/health/remedies/the-end-of-gout-review/

FYI colchicine has recently been found (in the COLCOT and LoDoCo 2 trials) to help with heart disease due to its anti-inflammatory properties. 

I got rid of my Gout by dropping processed food from my diet and opting for an all-natural diet. I had been taking medications for long, but nothing worked out until I found iahas.com where I learned how Ayurveda could help you treat Gout. I also got great ideas about some recipes that are enriched with therapeutic herbs and spices. Now I am much better.

I got rid of my Gout by dropping processed food from my diet and opting for an all-natural diet. I had been taking medications for long, but nothing worked out until I found iahas.com where I learned how Ayurveda could help you treat Gout. I also got great ideas about some recipes that are enriched with therapeutic herbs and spices. Now I am much better.
:oldunsure:  

Allopurinol FTW

Also tart cherry juice - Costco has a good price on Cherry Bay Orchards Montmorency.  I drink a glass every morning instead of OJ.

Users who are viewing this thread