What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My countdown list of one hit wonders- 1. Play That Funky Music (Wild Cherry) (2 Viewers)

Next up is a classic rock staple that hit number 7...a couple of the members of this band went on to form a supergroup 

Here's the final tally in terms of who on the list did not have only one Billboard Top 40 song (they had more than or less than 1). 39 of the 100.

Kim Carnes - 11
The Tokens - 5
Nancy Sinatra - 5
Johnny Nash - 5
Percy Sledge - 5
The Archies - 4
Pure Prairie League - 4
Quarterflash - 3
The New Seekers - 3
Rupert Holmes - 3
Katrina & The Waves - 3
The Dream Academy 3
Robert John - 3
The Trammps - 3
Arthur Conley - 3
The Knack - 3
Fontella Bass - 3
Dobie Gray - 3
Procol Harum - 3
Alannah Myles - 2
Tal Bachman - 2
Michael Sembello - 2
Brownsville Station - 2
Men Without Hats - 2
Jay Ferguson - 2
The Cardigans - 2
Exile - 2
A-Ha - 2
'Til Tuesday - 2
R.B. Greaves - 2
Hues Corporation - 2
We Five - 2
The Lefte Banke - 2
Tommy Tutone - 2
Looking Glass - 2
The Waitresses - 0
Natalie Imbruglia - 0
Wall Of Voodoo - 0
Modern English - 0

This is not to knock the effort, as this was a lot of work, very entertaining, and generated some good discussion. So hats off to Tim for 40+ pages of fun (and likely expanding to even more than that).

Stop, hey, I might know this one.
This next band is in the same category as Free...everybody knows the band mostly from one or more members, but only one song hit the top 40 and the Spotify plays reflect that the one song is absolutely dominant (20:1 ratio).

snub 35 Buffalo Springfield- For What It’s Worth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp5JCrSXkJY

great song...classic rock staple...158 Million plays on Spotify....Stills would go on to Crosby, Stills and Nash...Neil Young has a stellar solo career as well as some classic stuff with Crosby, Still, Nash and Young...Furay and Messina would go to Poco...Messia would later be part of Loggins and Messina

This next band is in the same category as Free...everybody knows the band mostly from one or more members, but only one song hit the top 40 and the Spotify plays reflect that the one song is absolutely dominant (20:1 ratio).

great song...classic rock staple...158 Million plays on Spotify....Stills would go on to Crosby, Stills and Nash...Neil Young has a stellar solo career as well as some classic stuff with Crosby, Still, Nash and Young...Furay and Messina would go to Poco...Messia would later be part of Loggins and Messina
I thought about putting in the Springfield, but noticed that "Rock and Roll Woman" and "Bluebird" were hovering reasonably close to the top 40. Still a good call though - I love this band.

A few years ago, there was a talk of a Springfield reunion, but didn't go anywhere as Stills and Young still seem to hate each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Up next, we will be recalling a song from this century that topped the adult top 40 for an amazing 23 weeks

Very good song.  With that kind of talent, it's surprising this was the only top 40 song they had.

A few years ago, there was a talk of a reunion, but didn't go anywhere as Stills and Young still seem to hate each other.
I saw CSN&Y many years ago.  These two would go off on riffs where it was just their guitars playing off one another for 5-10 minutes at a time.  Didn't realize Stills was that good a guitar player.

Returning to the thread this morning, the puzzling lack of replies containing something like this ...

... tells me that not nearly enough of you have clicked on the link for my #8 entry. Go ahead! Do it! You won't regret it. (Well, OK, you probably will. But trust me here. You need to see this video.)

They aren’t a one hit wonder.
:confused:  MKTO literally don't have a single other appearance on a Billboard chart and I've never heard another one of their songs (and with 12- and 11-year-old kids, I listen to a lot of pop music). What am I missing? 

eta: didn’t read the write up. I think this song seemed a lot bigger at the time though. My link alone has 30MM views. I hear it more today than the other song - which is great also.

seems like a timpick 😀
Maybe - thus the write-up. I didn't want to leave it off on a technicality though. It's a great song.

Last one until tomorrow

snub 37. The Humpty Dance - Digital Underground
Maybe by the Tim definition of the term, but it always saddens me to hear these guys cast off as OHWs. They were one of my favorite early-'90s hip-hop groups and had a lot more flow than their one novelty song would have led the casual listener to believe. And they get bonus points for introducing the world to the genius of 2Pac (albeit not in a way I'm guessing he was real proud of later on - that costume  :lmao: ).

Very good song.  With that kind of talent, it's surprising this was the only top 40 song they had.
They were just not a singles band, not unlike many of the other great bands/artists we've discussed here and elsewhere. That and they didn't stick around very long as a group.

My favorite tune of theirs was actually the last one on their last album and didn't even feature Neil or Steve: Kind Woman

They were just not a singles band, not unlike many of the other great bands/artists we've discussed here and elsewhere. That and they didn't stick around very long as a group.

My favorite tune of theirs was actually the last one on their last album and didn't even feature Neil or Steve: Kind Woman
In regards to this, great points. 

Also - in a broader sense - I have been thinking about what it takes to make a hit. 

Now a days, it seems pretty straight forward - get airplay/audience by any means possible & pray for traction. 

However, before modern media outlets & the wide spread popularity of FM, I believe it was a lot more difficult to get both the airplay & traction. Thus, many great bands & songs never went big, if they did not fit right in with the needs & priorities of AM & TV. 

This is just a guess, as I hit my music age right after FM, MTV & other outlets went big. 

I'm sure others here know more - any thoughts - contrary or otherwise? 

This is not to knock the effort, as this was a lot of work, very entertaining, and generated some good discussion. So hats off to Tim for 40+ pages of fun (and likely expanding to even more than that).
If this was work done for a music history class, he'd get a C- grade on it at best, given how much of the work reflected his own experience and perceptions of the songs and the artists, that he then projected on the public. 

But yeah, as a work of his opinion, and his opinion alone, it was entertaining and a good thread. 

Up next, we will be recalling a song from this century that topped the adult top 40 for an amazing 23 weeks
So far in my countdown of the top 40 snubs

40 M - Pop Muzik

39 The Count Five - Psychotic Reaction

38 Steve Forbert - Romeo’s Tune

37 Digital Underground - Humpty Dance

36 The Cascades - Rythym of the Rain

35 Buffalo Springfield - For What It’s Worth

bring us to

snub 34 The Calling - Wherever You May Go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAP9AF6DCu4

Their only hot 100 song hit number 5.  On the Adult Top 40, per Wikipedia it “topped the Adult Top 40 for 23 weeks, making it the second longest running number one in the chart’s history and later named the number one song of the decade of 2000s on the Adult Pop Charts by Billboard magazine.”  Over 200 Million plays on Spotify (their next ranking song has 10 M).  

Returning to the thread this morning, the puzzling lack of replies containing something like this ...

... tells me that not nearly enough of you have clicked on the link for my #8 entry. Go ahead! Do it! You won't regret it. (Well, OK, you probably will. But trust me here. You need to see this video.)

:confused:  MKTO literally don't have a single other appearance on a Billboard chart and I've never heard another one of their songs (and with 12- and 11-year-old kids, I listen to a lot of pop music). What am I missing? 

Maybe - thus the write-up. I didn't want to leave it off on a technicality though. It's a great song.

Maybe by the Tim definition of the term, but it always saddens me to hear these guys cast off as OHWs. They were one of my favorite early-'90s hip-hop groups and had a lot more flow than their one novelty song would have led the casual listener to believe. And they get bonus points for introducing the world to the genius of 2Pac (albeit not in a way I'm guessing he was real proud of later on - that costume  :lmao: ).
American Dream and Thank you were hits from their debut album.

Up next, a Scottish born Australian singer hit number 7 on the hot 100 with a disco song penned by Harry Vanda and George Young who had a huge role in putting Ac/Dc on the map

Up next, a Scottish born Australian singer hit number 7 on the hot 100 with a disco song penned by Harry Vanda and George Young who had a huge role in putting Ac/Dc on the map
Snub 33 Love is in the Air - John Paul Young

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNC0kIzM1Fo

International hit written by Young and Vanda, who produced all of the early Ac/Dc albums until Mutt Lange did Highway to Hell.  George Young was an older brother of Angus and Malcom. 

Didn't realize Stills was that good a guitar player.
I heard a solo piece of his on Sirius' Deep Tracks yesterday that was an amazing exercise on the wah pedal without sounding gimmicky or indulgent. Blanking on the title ... lemme research.

EDIT: "Go Back Home" is the title. Did you guys know you could search Sirius playlists online by date, channel, artist, etc.?

EDIT 2: Corrected song title.

I heard a solo piece of his on Sirius' Deep Tracks yesterday that was an amazing exercise on the wah pedal without sounding gimmicky or indulgent. Blanking on the title ... lemme research.

EDIT: "Four Days Gone" is the title. Did you guys know you could search Sirius playlists online by date, channel, artist, etc.?
Yes, Steve is an amazing guitarist. Many associate him only for his CSN and CSNY harmonies.

Didn't know that about Sirius playlists - good to know - thanks.

If this was work done for a music history class, he'd get a C- grade on it at best, given how much of the work reflected his own experience and perceptions of the songs and the artists, that he then projected on the public. 

But yeah, as a work of his opinion, and his opinion alone, it was entertaining and a good thread. 
It was a very entertaining thread even though it feels like a OHW list that was made by my father.  Shoukd have just started a 60s and 70s OHW list since that is the obvious love.  

I can tell this thread is going to end up like a lot of Shark Pool threads. You know, the ones where there are 30 running backs listed in a Top 10 RB thread. There are a ton of one hit wonder songs (real or imagined), and the list of snubs could likely be as long or longer than the original list.

I can tell this thread is going to end up like a lot of Shark Pool threads. You know, the ones where there are 30 running backs listed in a Top 10 RB thread. There are a ton of one hit wonder songs (real or imagined), and the list of snubs could likely be as long or longer than the original list.
Worse yet, where are all the songs & one-hit wonders that weren't on Tim's list, weren't by the Beatles, aren't from the 1980's, aren't instrumentals, that wikkid has heard of, and aren't named after girls supposed to go?

Anarchy99 said:
I agree..,there are probably 500-1000 songs that could make a case...my intent is to list out my favorites and make that case...it can be debated, but these lists are so much more subjective than even a debate on Running Backs.  That’s kind of the fun of it.  Tim likes 500 Miles and at least few posters, myself included, hate it.  In the end, it’s fun to discover or rediscover some classic songs that for a brief moment in time, resided in the the collective consciousness of a nation. 

The 80s thread will be fun because it will be using a completely objective ranking system and the stories will be a lot better...

My next entry comes from 2014...it’s been five years, so its’s fair to label them until they have another hit...

Users who are viewing this thread