What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My countdown list of one hit wonders- 1. Play That Funky Music (Wild Cherry) (1 Viewer)

Just heard it. I'm sort an anti-copyright guy, so I think it's transformative enough to be fair use, but different people's mileage may vary.  
Controversial case, the Stones had agreed to get 50% of the royalties after agreeing to let them use “5 notes” from the song. Bittersweet Symphony became a hit and the Stones basically sued them wanting 100% of the royalties with the argument being because they used slightly more than the “5 notes.” It was fought hard in court until the Judge threw The Verve under the bus. Basically bankrupted them because they were then sued by anyone even slightly involved with the originally sampled song for a piece of the action even though the Stones had taken all the money and there was nothing left over.

90’s were a minefield for sampling, reminds me of the story of how Paul’s Boutique from the Beastie’s could never be made today because they used so many samples at the time that they didn’t have to pay for that it would be way too expensive to ever do something similar again.
Richard Ashcroft announces that he has recovered the copyright to "Bittersweet Symphony"

"Speaking as he received a lifetime achievement prize at the Ivor Novello Awards, Ashcroft announced: "As of last month, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards signed over all their publishing for Bittersweet Symphony, which was a truly kind and magnanimous thing for them to do.""

Bossman said:
Very cool list.

A quick look and this was the only one that stuck out to me.

My favorite Church song is Reptile. If it wasn't a hit then I'm not sure how I know about it.

They do have a "best of" album ... so maybe more;

Best of Church
I had the same thought when I discovered this thread recently and read Tim's list. Reptile peaked at #27 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks Chart.

The other one that jumped out at me was Better Than Ezra, which @joffer appropriately questioned. BTE had:

• 4 songs that peaked as top 10 hits on the U.S. Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks Chart
  • 4 songs that peaked as top 40 hits on the U.S. Billboard Mainstream Top 40 Chart
  • 7 songs that peaked as top 40 hits on the U.S. Billboard Adult Top 40 Chart
  • 8 songs that peaked as top 35 hits on the U.S. Billboard Alternative Top 40 Chart
  • There were overlaps in there, but that was a total of 12 songs that peaked in the top 40 on one or more of those charts
I know Tim was loose with his one hit wonder definition, but BTE shouldn't be in the list.

Enjoyed the thread, though! :thumbup:  

I had the same thought when I discovered this thread recently and read Tim's list. Reptile peaked at #27 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks Chart.

The other one that jumped out at me was Better Than Ezra, which @joffer appropriately questioned. BTE had:

• 4 songs that peaked as top 10 hits on the U.S. Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks Chart
  • 4 songs that peaked as top 40 hits on the U.S. Billboard Mainstream Top 40 Chart
  • 7 songs that peaked as top 40 hits on the U.S. Billboard Adult Top 40 Chart
  • 8 songs that peaked as top 35 hits on the U.S. Billboard Alternative Top 40 Chart
  • There were overlaps in there, but that was a total of 12 songs that peaked in the top 40 on one or more of those charts
I know Tim was loose with his one hit wonder definition, but BTE shouldn't be in the list.

Enjoyed the thread, though! :thumbup:  
Comedian Norm McDonald had a BTE joke ..

"This weeks top 10 songs ... number one, Better than Ezra ... and coming in at number two, .... Ezra"

Users who are viewing this thread