What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

For My Christian Friends Supporting Trump (1 Viewer)

No matter what candidate or incumbent you are speaking about, trying to equate them to christianity is like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

And that's not because of the issues of candidates and incumbents (despite them, like Trump, having issues). It's because christianity is still stuck in a reality that existed 20 centuries ago, and doesn't fit in our reality today. Christians justify this issue by believing they aren't supposed to be conformed to this world, which is ironic given how much the religion stole from pagan religions over the first few centuries. Very little of christianity is original stories, doctrine, or tradition. You can pretty much find the vast majority of it pulled from religions that existed before it. Which is why no rational candidate or incumbent would ever be a fundamentalist christian, as they get eaten alive in today's reality. 
I’m a New Testament reader. Can you point me to the pagan parts and the stolen from other religion parts.

Do you ever wonder why we still measure the history of time as being B.C. or A.D.?

As a Catholic I find it hard to understand why any Catholics would vote Democrat and back a candidate who supports abortion.   :shrug:
As an atheist I find it hard to understand why any Catholics would support the Catholic Church after the last couple decades of revelations. I assume there are lots of conflicting forces at work in each person’s decision process. 

As an atheist I find it hard to understand why any Catholics would support the Catholic Church after the last couple decades of revelations. I assume there are lots of conflicting forces at work in each person’s decision process. 
I believe in what Jesus stood for and his teachings and I agree with you.

As a Catholic I find it hard to understand why any Catholics would vote Democrat and back a candidate who supports abortion.   :shrug:
As a Catholic, I have no problem voting for Democrats.  

What I can't square is why someone who believes in eternal afterlife in heaven, would worry about a momentary blip of life on earth - which on the scale of zero-to-eternity, is not even a blink of an eye.  Makes me think they don't believe in heaven - and that is kind of the point of christianity   :shrug:

Just a FWIW. 

This is kind of a dumb thing for me to post here as it doesn't apply to hardly anyone here but I still thought it was maybe worthwhile. 

I posted this to my Facebook feed. I have a good number of friends who support Trump. Many are Christians. 

We'll see - it might have been a dumb thing to post on my Facebook as well. 

I posted:
I come back for the 2nd time since december and this is at the top.    

Ugh.

Do you ever wonder why we still measure the history of time as being B.C. or A.D.?
Correlation does not imply causation.

In other words, the fact that we choose to call the current year "2019" does not imply that God created the world in 6 days and that Jesus was his son.

I’m a New Testament reader. Can you point me to the pagan parts and the stolen from other religion parts.

I’d advise you not to listen to him.  
@pinkham13 if you are a christian, I advise you to take @shader's advise. I de-converted after 30+ years of being a christian, and given my family and circle of friends are still believers, many times I feel like life would be easier if I still believed. I gain nothing by de-converting you, so I have no motivation to do so. The only reason I post what I do is that I know random posts are not enough to de-convert anyone. A believer will go through the five stages of grief before letting it go, like I did. For me it happened because the more I studied the bible, the less believable it became. So unless you are doing some serious study, you're safe in your status quo. 

Last edited by a moderator:
@pinkham13 if you are a christian, I advise you to take @shader's advise. I de-converted after 30+ years of being a christian, and given my family and circle of friends are still believers, many times I feel like life would be easier if I still believed. I gain nothing by de-converting you, so I have no motivation to do so. The only reason I post what I do is that I know random posts are not enough to de-convert anyone. I believer will go through the five stages of grief before letting it go, like I did. For me it happened because the more I studied the bible, the less believable it became. So unless you are doing some serious study, you're safe in your status quo. 
I appreciate the response. I was just curious. I like to explore Buddhism and other religions too. Do you give any credence to ancient astronaut theory. Seems like we are going to declare aliens as god and just ban religion. Interesting topic either way.

Amazing that posters who have camped out in the Russian thread spreading nonsense can still talk about Pizzagate. No self awareness?
An understanding of the major differences between the two.  And what this has to do with this thread other than trying to take unwarranted shots at people is interesting.

As a Catholic, I have no problem voting for Democrats.  

What I can't square is why someone who believes in eternal afterlife in heaven, would worry about a momentary blip of life on earth - which on the scale of zero-to-eternity, is not even a blink of an eye.  Makes me think they don't believe in heaven - and that is kind of the point of christianity   :shrug:

I appreciate the response. I was just curious. I like to explore Buddhism and other religions too. Do you give any credence to ancient astronaut theory. Seems like we are going to declare aliens as god and just ban religion. Interesting topic either way.
I don't write it off as impossible. But would like more evidence to give it credence.

Many of the origins of religions through out history can be traced back to the sun, moon, stars, astronomy, astrology and the personification of what people were seeing in the skies before the first religion was born. What was a way to keep people entertained around the fire at night began to turn into believers of those stories. And as time went on it morphed and morphed and morphed and morphed. That alone is enough to provide far more explanation as to their developments than the need for alien astronauts to land on our planet.

The astrological roots in Christianity are easy to see in the book of Revelation, but even the simple 12 apostles story is an obvious result of the 12 constellations the sun passes through each year (and so are the 12 tribes of Israel). The 7 day week is from the seven objects in the sky (that can be seen by the naked eye) that don't move like all the other stars (the sun, the moon, mars, mercury, jupiter, venus and saturn). The jews just made a creation story from those seven days, and created the sabbath, which is actually on Saturday (not sunday). The pagans held sunday as the holy day, which is what christianity eventually adopted instead of the real sabbath. The virgin story is clearly taken from Virgo, Leo is the king, Aquarius is Noah's flood, as well as baptism, Aries is the ram sacrifice, the three wise men are the three stars on Orion's belt, etc, etc.... and then the book or revelation gets into even more astrological signs. But again, this isn't just unique to christianity. The vast majority of religions, especially from the mideast, africa, and europe have these astrological origins behind many of their stories and doctrine. They've simply just been morphed and rehashed as religions developed and spawned off into new religions.

Again, that's not to say all did. Some are very unique in their own ways, but christianity is one that has very little uniqueness to it. Ultimately it took so much of the most appealing attributes of other religions that it of course out survived the ones it stole from, which was of course what helped it to be adopted by the most powerful empire in the world as their official state religion... and the rest was history. 

Amazing that posters who have camped out in the Russian thread spreading nonsense can still talk about Pizzagate. No self awareness?
The Mueller investigation led to multiple convictions and determined that Russia did indeed attempt to interfere with our election.

The Pizzagate story was invented out of thin air and resulted in no arrests and no convictions, and did NOT determine that there was a child sex ring being operated out of the back room of a pizza restaurant.

edit: in other words, your analogy would make sense if the Mueller investigation resulted in ZERO convictions, or if the Pizzagate story was real.

But since neither of those things is true, your analogy fails completely.

I don't write it off as impossible. But would like more evidence to give it credence.

Many of the origins of religions through out history can be traced back to the sun, moon, stars, astronomy, astrology and the personification of what people were seeing in the skies before the first religion was born. What was a way to keep people entertained around the fire at night began to turn into believers of those stories. And as time went on it morphed and morphed and morphed and morphed. That alone is enough to provide far more explanation as to their developments than the need for alien astronauts to land on our planet.

The astrological roots in Christianity are easy to see in the book of Revelation, but even the simple 12 apostles story is an obvious result of the 12 constellations the sun passes through each year (and so are the 12 tribes of Israel). The virgin story is clearly taken from Virgo, Leo is the king, Aquarius is Noah's flood, as well as baptism, Aries is the ram sacrifice, etc, etc.... and then the book or revelation gets into even more astrological signs. But again, this isn't just unique to christianity. The vast majority of religions, especially from the mideast, africa, and europe have these astrological origins behind many of their stories and doctrine. They've simply just been morphed and rehashed as religions developed and spawned off into new religions.

Again, that's not to say all did. Some are very unique in their own ways, but christianity is one that has very little uniqueness to it. Ultimately it took so much of the most appealing attributes of other religions that it of course out survived the ones it stole from, which was of course what helped it to be adopted by the most powerful empire in the world as their official state religion... and the rest was history. 
I never used to believe anything about astrology as I had not even given it any consideration at all. Once I did though I realized my sun sign somehow describes me perfectly.

The Mueller investigation led to multiple convictions and determined that Russia did indeed attempt to interfere with our election.

The Pizzagate story was invented out of thin air and resulted in no arrests and no convictions, and did NOT determine that there was a child sex ring being operated out of the back room of a pizza restaurant.
Well, that one guy was arrested.

Sinn Fein said:
What I can't square is why someone who believes in eternal afterlife in heaven, would worry about a momentary blip of life on earth
Reminds me of a short story I wrote a long time ago, meant to have some parallels to the abortion issue.

The Port-o-Clone V7000

Year: 2392

Tom looked forward to returning home. He'd been on Titan, Saturn's largest moon, for three long years. Now he was headed back to base, where after receiving a proper send-off from the rest of the crew, he'd step into the Port-o-Clone V3000 . . . and step out a moment later in Boston.

The Port-o-Clone V3000, manufactured by Zippy Corp., is a remarkable machine that has rendered traditional methods of space travel obsolete. A person or object placed into its sending chamber is quickly and painlessly disassembled, molecule by molecule, producing an atomic blueprint to be transmitted at the speed of light to a distant receiver. The receiver, in this case located in Boston, reassembles the person from its local stock of atoms, preserving all his memories, thoughts, feelings, and opinions.

"Beam me across the solar system, Scotty!"

Tom stepped out of the receiving chamber in Boston and was greeted by his wife, Sarah. He had enjoyed his last few weeks on Titan and was proud of his work on Stage Four of the terraforming project; but it was good to be home.

Tom and Sarah stared at each other. Compared to when Tom left three years ago, nearly every cell in Sarah's body was different. But there she was -- the same person. Of course, the same was true for Tom, but it had been just two minutes since all of his cells were replaced.

Year: 2477

The prototype of the Port-o-Clone V7000 was finally completed, and Brad was eager to test its new features after having worked on the design of its latest software module. Not only would the new model atomically disassemble and reassemble people like its predecessors did, but it could also build new people from scratch according to whatever specifications were fed into it. The human genome had been extensively mapped nearly half a millennium ago, but only now was it possible to accurately model the physical development of a person based on a given set of DNA instructions along with various inputs regarding his simulated developmental environment.

You want a 32-year-old, five-foot-nine gentleman of Arabic descent, fluent in French and well-trained in archery? The Port-o-Clone V7000 will generate one at the press of a button. It will, that is, if it works like it is supposed to. That's what Brad aimed to find out as he ran it through a series of tests.

The idea during the tests was not to actually create a slew of new persons. Forming a person in a receiving chamber without simultaneously un-forming him in a sending chamber technically fell under the Human Cloning Act of 2251, as amended, and was heavily regulated by the world government. Besides, what would Brad or Zippy Corp. do with a bunch of 32-year-old archers?

No, the plan was just to see if the prototype worked, and Brad would therefore be disassembling any persons he formed a fraction of a second after assembling them -- just long enough to get a molecular snapshot of the person to check against the blueprint and see whether everything came together correctly.

Brad first programmed the machine to produce a 50-year-old philosopher from Spain. After feeding the V7000 the necessary instructions, he pushed a button and . . . with a flicker, a human form appeared and disappeared so fast that Brad would have missed it if he'd blinked at the wrong time.

Brad checked the molecular scan and smiled. It worked. According to the data he was looking at, that flicker really was a Spanish philosopher, just like he ordered.

Success.

Next up was a 22-year-old female saxophonist with green eyes and a fondness for tapioca.

Flicker. Success.

A 38-year-old left-handed Hispanic woman with a genius IQ and a broad nose. A double-jointed novelist with typo "O" blood. A balding Jew with dimples. An albino.

Flicker, flicker, flicker, flicker; success, success, success, success.

Brad wrote up the results of his tests and prepared for the news conference Zippy Corp. would hold the next day.

* * * * *​

"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney . . ." Brad stopped listening to the officer as his thoughts wandered to reflect on the absurdity of the situation. Handcuffed and helpless, he was being charged with multiple counts of homicide. Once the results of his tests were publicized, the state district attorney wasted no time in going after both Brad and Zippy Corp.

On the first count, Brad was charged with murdering a 50-year-old philosopher from Spain. . . .

knowledge dropper said:
I don't get what this has to do with Christianity 

whoknew said:

How does defunding the Special Olympics fit in to the Evangelical Christian mission?

"Those tax dollars could be better served as a tax refund which could be applied towards Christian charter schools and missionary work."

[scooter] said:
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/trump-cheating-ivana-marla-beautiful-1994-article-1.2822695

"My life was so great in so many ways. The business was so great... a beautiful girlfriend, a beautiful wife, a beautiful everything. Life was just a bowl of cherries,"

He literally defines a "great life" as "cheating on your wife". And he makes no apologies for either the cheating or the philosophy.
Was that from when he was a Democrat?

Has he committed adultery since his conversion to Republicanism?

Another point

Christanity preaches forgiveness and repentance.

The most recent adulterous allegations are from 2005 or 2006 ish, so in the past decade plus, he may have indeed repented from his formerly sinful mindset.  

Another point

The most recent adulterous allegations are from 2005 or 2006 ish, so in the past decade plus, he may have indeed repented from his formerly sinful mindset.  
Someone already posted that the quotes that he hasn't.  And by his words and actions, there appears to be nothing close to repenting.  So why should we assume its the case?

Another point

He’s accused of sexually assaulting a staffer in 2016. 

Another point

"Why do I have to repent if I'm not making mistakes?" - Donald Trump, 2016

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure that Bill Clinton temporarily changed affiliation to the Republican party every time that Monica dropped by the Oval Office, then he immediately converted back to the Democratic party afterwards, and then asked forgiveness from God.

So, it's all good.

Don't Noonan said:
I find it hard to understand how a Catholic is comfortable being a Catholic these days.

Glass houses and whatnot.

Not all decisions to stay Catholic revolve around Rome.  I can be disgusted with how the Church does things but still believe in my local parrish and thenpeople in it.

I wonder how many of those kids parents trusted their local parrish and the people in it.

sho nuff said:
An understanding of the major differences between the two.  And what this has to do with this thread other than trying to take unwarranted shots at people is interesting.
Pizzagate was a terrible, disgusting conspiracy theory that harmed real humans.

People on this page has referenced it as an equivalent to the Mueller investigation.  This is a terrible false equivalence.   It is disgusting that it is even an acceptable form of discourse on this message board.  I would be banned for speaking further....so have a good night.

What a joke. 

There's a documentary on Prime called In God we Trump which tries to answer why Evangelicals have and continue to support Trump.  In essence, they believe we're in a culture war that they have been losing.  Trump, much like the Evangelical leaders you see on tv, takes advantage of this desperation by promising a return to victory for them.  Meanwhile, over recent years, there's been a greater infusion of politicization into Christian circles, heavily fostered by Evangelical leadership who are more out for power and money than a conquest of values.  

To their and his credit, he has tried to live up to his promises to them:  Two pro-life conservative SC justices, a travel ban against Muslim countries, and indirect attempts to keep America as white and Christian as possible.  What has many of us scratching our heads, including Christians like Joe, is why the actual values that defined Jesus seem so secondary to them.        

There's a documentary on Prime called In God we Trump which tries to answer why Evangelicals have and continue to support Trump.  In essence, they believe we're in a culture war that they have been losing.  Trump, much like the Evangelical leaders you see on tv, takes advantage of this desperation by promising a return to victory for them.  Meanwhile, over recent years, there's been a greater infusion of politicization into Christian circles, heavily fostered by Evangelical leadership who are more out for power and money than a conquest of values.  

To their and his credit, he has tried to live up to his promises to them:  Two pro-life conservative SC justices, a travel ban against Muslim countries, and indirect attempts to keep America as white and Christian as possible.  What has many of us scratching our heads, including Christians like Joe, is why the actual values that defined Jesus seem so secondary to them.        
Sometimes I daydream about one of those Evangelicals coming in to one of my message boards and having an open discussion about this. But then I realize that they have every now and then and I just think what they're saying is crazy talk. So it's my bad, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread