What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Amazed at people who know zero about sports (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
An outside consultant came into our office today.  I could hear him talking with a co-worker in the break room.  

We have a big NCAA bracket in there showing the results of the office pool so far.  Consultant said, "What's this for?"

Co-worker - "It's for the brackets.  Company pool.  Are you in any brackets?"

Consultant - "Me?  No.  I don't follow football and couldn't even tell you who's playing in the Super Bowl."

:confused:

I literally had to get up from my desk and go into the break room to pretend I was getting something just so I could see the guy.  I mean, maybe he just worded his response weird?  But it sure sounded like he thought the "bracket pool" was for the Super Bowl.  My 15 year old daughter doesn't follow the NFL but knows when the Super Bowl is played.  WTH?

Unless you are a monk or live in a tent if you live in the US you know who is playing in the Super Bowl. Doesn’t matter if you don’t follow sports.

My wife probably does not know who won the Superbowl this last year.

She has no idea the ncaa tournament is going on or even what sport it is.

Other sports, college tournament, soccer I get.

The Super Bowl is impossible not to realize it’s going on and know the teams unless you consume no media, internet, TV, talk to people, etc.

A guy I work with told me one of our wholesalers was taking him out to some special dinner and asked if I wanted to join along.  I asked him for the details and he says "It's at this nice steakhouse and they have some guest speaker named Pete Rose, whoever the #### that is"  I about died laughing and told him I was in.

My 95yo mother, who covered Boston Braves baseball & Boston Olympics hockey for Western Union wire services in the 1940s and has watched every Sawx game in the history of television but that's as far as her sports fandom goes, is the only sports fan in my circle. Neither my father nor my best friend of almost 50 yrs could tell you the name of 5 teams in any sport, and not my late wife nor any other SOs except one, who liked UNM sports only and turned out to be a lesbanim (coincidence?) had any interest either. I have had "just sports" friends at times thru my life but they never stuck as real friends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Folks like him probably have seen or heard who was in the SB. But if he simply doesn't care, it probably went in one ear and out the other. You could tell me some soccer fact every day of my life. And I guarantee if someone asked me about it, I wouldn't have clue because I wouldn't have really been paying attention. You now, like when your wife tells you about her day at work.

Same experience 2 weeks ago. I was at a small brewery watching pregame for UM-MSU Big 10 title game right before Selection Sunday announcements. A guy came to the bar to order a beer and asked if anything good was on TV. We all had on our UM or MSU gear and laughed assuming it was sarcasm. Then he said he never can find anything to watch on the weekends either. He thought we were laughing because it would be ridiculous for their to something good on TV. So we tell him that actually the UM-MSU game is about to come on and he said “oh I never could get into the NFL.” 

Worse to me is the guy who claims to be a fan but doesn’t know jack. I mean I don’t expect you to know the entire league but at least your team. 
This happens all the time with kids in school. They act like they know so much about NBA or NFL and then they don’t even know who Drew Brees is or can’t name any player that’s not Lebron or on the Warriors. 

This happens all the time with kids in school. They act like they know so much about NBA or NFL and then they don’t even know who Drew Brees is or can’t name any player that’s not Lebron or on the Warriors. 
Kids just want to belong and saying they're into sports is a way of seeking acceptance.

Sports fandom isn't that much different even with adults.  It's a tribal membership that provides some bonding and a generally safe zone for conversation.  I don't think it's that uncommon for people to not follow sports.  People naturally self-select relationships that group like traits together.  There's probably a doppelganger universe where people think sports fans never got over being jocks in high school.

Kids just want to belong and saying they're into sports is a way of seeking acceptance.

Sports fandom isn't that much different even with adults.  It's a tribal membership that provides some bonding and a generally safe zone for conversation.  I don't think it's that uncommon for people to not follow sports.  People naturally self-select relationships that group like traits together.  There's probably a doppelganger universe where people think sports fans never got over being jocks in high school.
Oh I don’t care small talk about it- that’s fun. I’m talking about the kids who are aggressive about it. There are actually some kids who are pretty rude and act like know it alls about sports but when questioned it turns out they don’t even watch it. 

A general example of something I see a lot

Kid A is wearing a Bucks shirt.

Kid B: The Bucks suck. Why are you wearing that stupid shirt?

Kid A: I like Giannis he is my favorite player

Kid B: Who? He is trash. Steph Curry is the best. 

Me: You don't know the Greek Freak Giannis?

Kid B: No, I don't watch trash players or trash teams

Me: The Bucks have the best record in the NBA and Giannis is probably going to win MVP so maybe leave the other kid alone. 

Folks like him probably have seen or heard who was in the SB. But if he simply doesn't care, it probably went in one ear and out the other. You could tell me some soccer fact every day of my life. And I guarantee if someone asked me about it, I wouldn't have clue because I wouldn't have really been paying attention. You now, like when your wife tells you about her day at work.
No excuse for being clueless about the Super Bowl. That’s like saying I didn’t know we elected a president because I don’t care about politics. Some things are so ingrained in our society, you have to have some sort of clue. You don’t have to be an expert and know that Tom Brady was trying to win his sixth Super Bowl but you have to have a clue that it was happening. 

Unless you are a monk or live in a tent if you live in the US you know who is playing in the Super Bowl. Doesn’t matter if you don’t follow sports.
You may not know who is in the super bowl, but you should have a general idea of when it is. It's like not everyone celebrates Easter but they hav an idea when it is.

Other sports, college tournament, soccer I get.

The Super Bowl is impossible not to realize it’s going on and know the teams unless you consume no media, internet, TV, talk to people, etc.
Not really, you can play video games online, watch youtube, stream stuff from Netflix, Hulu and have no exposure to the NFL. If you mostly talk to family members or older relatives not living in the U.S., football could never be a topic.

Things aren't always as they appear to be.

I am a track, NCAA/NFL, the rasslin'  guru/historian/geek.  I can hang with anyone in the world when it comes to the who, what, where and when pertaining to those sports.  Can talk some boxing, a little basketball.

When it comes to NASCAR, baseball, hockey, soccer, all female sports, a total.......DUH~~~~ 

So before....the guys knows nothing about sports....ya might wanna find out their interests.

As I’ve gotten older, I really have whittled down my sporting interests to football/golf.  When I was younger I followed everything.

Sometimes I’m struck by how out of the loop I am with other sports.
This describes me as well.

I still follow the NFL like a mad man - still doin a dynasty league that began in 07. Dropped all my other leagues - goin back to the 80s.

I'll also follow NCAA Basketball tourney - reg season not so much

As for other sports, I don't really follow any thing like I do football, rather I try to watch stuff that did not get my attention much in the past.

Grand Prix/road racing/etc. (car & motorcycle)

Volleyball (M & F / Hard court & sand)

Some soccer (know very little)

Some hockey (know very little)

Etc.

That seems to keep me satiated pretty well, sports wise.

I find myself kind of impressed with folks that don't give a #### about sports.  Not the playing/exercise part, that's important.  But the following of it all?  Such a big part of life being wasted, one could argue.  There's so much more out there and I admire those that take advantage of living out their dreams -- good for them -- instead of watching million dollar prima donnas toss the rock around, over and over, from their couch all day.

.....as I post on a fantasy football message board, hehe!

Oh I don’t care small talk about it- that’s fun. I’m talking about the kids who are aggressive about it. There are actually some kids who are pretty rude and act like know it alls about sports but when questioned it turns out they don’t even watch it. 

A general example of something I see a lot

Kid A is wearing a Bucks shirt.

Kid B: The Bucks suck. Why are you wearing that stupid shirt?

Kid A: I like Giannis he is my favorite player

Kid B: Who? He is trash. Steph Curry is the best. 

Me: You don't know the Greek Freak Giannis?

Kid B: No, I don't watch trash players or trash teams

Me: The Bucks have the best record in the NBA and Giannis is probably going to win MVP so maybe leave the other kid alone. 
Kid A is into Radiohead as well

I find myself kind of impressed with folks that don't give a #### about sports.  Not the playing/exercise part, that's important.  But the following of it all?  Such a big part of life being wasted, one could argue.  There's so much more out there and I admire those that take advantage of living out their dreams -- good for them -- instead of watching million dollar prima donnas toss the rock around, over and over, from their couch all day.

.....as I post on a fantasy football message board, hehe!
Can Duke win another NCAA title?

Will Florida's Grant Holloway break 10.00 in the 100m this season?

Where is Tyreek Hill?

Can Christian Coleman break the American 100m record in 2019?

MMA will miss Conner McGregor.

Noway Seattle can let Russell Wilson go.

Will  Kyler Murray...star or bust?

Zion a can't miss NBA player?

I have a busy and full life, it's just more interesting with those things in it.  Stuff to look forward to, some memories also.

My sister and her husband are that way too. I have trouble finding subjects to walk with them.

An outside consultant came into our office today.  I could hear him talking with a co-worker in the break room.  

We have a big NCAA bracket in there showing the results of the office pool so far.  Consultant said, "What's this for?"

Co-worker - "It's for the brackets.  Company pool.  Are you in any brackets?"

Consultant - "Me?  No.  I don't follow football and couldn't even tell you who's playing in the Super Bowl."

:confused:

I literally had to get up from my desk and go into the break room to pretend I was getting something just so I could see the guy.  I mean, maybe he just worded his response weird?  But it sure sounded like he thought the "bracket pool" was for the Super Bowl.  My 15 year old daughter doesn't follow the NFL but knows when the Super Bowl is played.  WTH?
This guy is clearly a Master fisherman. Bravo, consultant dude, bravo. 

Things aren't always as they appear to be.

I am a track, NCAA/NFL, the rasslin'  guru/historian/geek.  I can hang with anyone in the world when it comes to the who, what, where and when pertaining to those sports.  Can talk some boxing, a little basketball.

When it comes to NASCAR, baseball, hockey, soccer, all female sports, a total.......DUH~~~~ 

So before....the guys knows nothing about sports....ya might wanna find out their interests.
exactly.

try asking him where Christopher Lowell went to?  

Meh. I don't think I could name a single soccer player in whatever the big soccer league is. I know Manchester United is a team name, but past that, I couldn't tell you anything about the sport.

I see how it's possible.
Within the last month I showed my ### not understand the champions league and premier league were two conferences in like soccer. 

Honestly I'm not sure.  @NewlyRetired
Premier League is the top league in England.  This is a domestic club league, every country has these.

Champions League is an international competition that includes club teams from all over Europe that runs concurrent with domestic leagues in Europe.  Basically the top teams from each domestic league also compete in the Champions League.

The closest analogy is probably NCAA basketball.  You can think of each basketball conference as a club league and then the NCAA tournament as the Champions League in that it takes the best teams from the underlying conferences.

I have some friends who know little about sports and don't care to know more. However, they will talk about the theater or plants they are growing in their garden and I am usually  :whoosh:

Premier League is the top league in England.  This is a domestic club league, every country has these.

Champions League is an international competition that includes club teams from all over Europe that runs concurrent with domestic leagues in Europe.  Basically the top teams from each domestic league also compete in the Champions League.

The closest analogy is probably NCAA basketball.  You can think of each basketball conference as a club league and then the NCAA tournament as the Champions League in that it takes the best teams from the underlying conferences.
exactly.

soccer sucks. 

Within the last month I showed my ### not understand the champions league and premier league were two conferences in like soccer. 
I'm impressed you knew the names of two conferences! Wait, no, I mean "C'mon man, no way you didn't know that. You live in a cave or sumfin???"

My younger brother is this way with sports, too.  Hates them.  

And that's cool.  Whatever, ya big dork.  You don't have to like sports.  But what bothers me is one year he decided to golf with me and my older brother.  At the time, we were shooting low 90's.  Had been playing for years.  He tees the ball up with no practice and swings like Freddy Couples.  So smooth.  He would shoot just as well as us, but his swing looked so beautiful.  After that summer, he put his clubs away and never picked them up again.  God I hate that young, sports-hating, perfect-swing-having jerk. :angry:

I’m pretty sure on other message boards people are having similar discussions on their preferred hobbies and interests. Music buffs will wonder why someone never heard of a band. Book clubs will be aghast that someone had never read a popular book. TV viewers will be shocked that someone never watched a particular show from the 90’s. Physicists somewhere will shoot down common folk with no knowledge of basic scientific principles. I think it might be interesting to hear what they have to say about the stupid sports fans. 

I’m pretty sure on other message boards people are having similar discussions on their preferred hobbies and interests. Music buffs will wonder why someone never heard of a band. Book clubs will be aghast that someone had never read a popular book. TV viewers will be shocked that someone never watched a particular show from the 90’s. Physicists somewhere will shoot down common folk with no knowledge of basic scientific principles. I think it might be interesting to hear what they have to say about the stupid sports fans. 
To an extent.  I'm not talking about someone not knowing what Zion's free throw percentage is in conference games.  We're talking the basics.  So it would be similar in music to not knowing who the Beatles are.  Or not knowing about a book called Of Mice and Men.  Or not knowing about a TV show called M*A*S*H.  Or not knowing about the scientific thing known as gravity.

That would be a better analogy.

Also, I don't think I called the guy stupid.  I just said I was amazed at how people don't know anything about sports.

To an extent.  I'm not talking about someone not knowing what Zion's free throw percentage is in conference games.  We're talking the basics.  So it would be similar in music to not knowing who the Beatles are.  Or not knowing about a book called Of Mice and Men.  Or not knowing about a TV show called M*A*S*H.  Or not knowing about the scientific thing known as gravity.

That would be a better analogy.
Talk to someone from the younger generation and they may not know what you just listed off. 

I have family members that don’t follow sports pretty much at all. We have kids that play a bunch of sports and I have to explain all the rules. If you ask them to name five professional teams in a sport they couldn’t do it. 

I get odd looks from people that follow European soccer when I don’t fully grasp the goal differential rules in home/away soccer matches. A lot of people have a tendency to think their knowledge base is universal. 

You can tell her it was the Patriots. 
I’ve watched NE games with my wife for 20 years. She still thinks that when Tom Brady gets hit as he’s throwing that is BLATANT pass interference and demands a flag be thrown. Not everyone is well versed on even sports basics.

I am sure others will say he gets flags when he doesn’t get hit, and I won’t disagree with them. 

But you can say this about a lot of different, and likely more important things.  Go around town and ask 50 random people to name their Vice President, or their Senators.  You'd be amazed.  Ask them which states or counties border their own.  If it doesn't interest them, they just don't know.  How many people could correctly identify Spain, France, England and Germany on a map? 

You brought up MASH - what percent of the population could tell you what war they were in, or for those under 40 what the show was even about?  How many people could name two Beatles, or two Rolling Stones?

BTW last Sunday afternoon on TV, opposite the NCAA tournament, ABC was broadcasting an Overwatch tournament. ABC, not TNT or USA or GeekTV. A freaking BC.

Complete with blow-by-blow analysis, color commentary, multiple angles, dropping in on first person perspective to top down views.

Not a joke.

I had no idea what was going on but I had trouble turning away.

Also not a joke.

Users who are viewing this thread