What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Did You Learn How To Square Dance In School? (2 Viewers)

If no, what decade(s)? (Choose all that apply)

• 50s

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 60s

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • 70s

Votes: 20 9.4%
  • 80s

Votes: 34 16.0%
  • 90s

Votes: 15 7.0%
  • 00s

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • 10s

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I answered “Yes”

Votes: 159 74.6%

• Total voters
We had a brief moment in the seventies or eighties, best I can recall.

eta* It certainly was brief, and certainly didn't stick.   

eta2* Connecticut

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Virginia mid-to late 70's

ETA - part of Gym, and I think we learned the May Pole dance after that...

Yes in middle school in Michigan. We were having our first dance and for some reason we all were taught a few line dances so we could do them at the dance. They also taught us some other group dances like The Time Warp. 

4-6th grade, '76-78, Northern California. 

Bonus, freshman year of HS, western swing due to "Urban Cowboy".  Eddie Rabbit "Love a Rainy Night"

6th grade, mid 80s. MN

I remember something called Gathering Peascods, although I can’t tell you more than that. Google tells me it’s a dance. 

If you got paired with the “wrong” partner, this time was a breeding ground for bullying. Good times. 

Yes, middle school in Pacific NW in the mid-'80s.

It was part of the rotation of gym class for maybe 2 weeks. The gym teacher would play an instructional record which called out the various steps that you were supposed to do. At first, the boys and girls learned the basic steps separately (segregated by the half court line). After a few days of that we got to dance with partners. I was told that in years past, all this practice would lead up to an actual full-scale afterschool dance (complete with a live band and some guy who was a professional "caller"), but they had dropped that element in the '70s when the 'caller' died and there was no one available to replace him.

I remember learning it at 6th grade camp (Michigan).  Probably only remember because one of the camp counselors had huge ####

oh late 80’s or early 90’s, votes both because I don’t remember the year exactly and was too lazy to do math 

Yes in middle school in Michigan. We were having our first dance and for some reason we all were taught a few line dances so we could do them at the dance. They also taught us some other group dances like The Time Warp. 
Mine was same area but somewhat earlier. No Time Warp but lots of The Red River Valley.  Friday gym class, not sure if the 2 gym teachers had a say in it.

had square dancing in public HS PE class in N Cal early 80s.

But I voted no because it wasn't elementary or middle school and I know much of a stickler these lawyers are about such things.
Sophomore year for us, btw. Just prior, the girls split off into something that had a name like defensive arts, but was basically rape prevention. Boys split off into rape class, aka wrestling.

Wisconsin mid and late 80s in gym class in middle and at least freshman year of HS (I moved after freshman year)

Wait, you did not have it in elementary or middle school but did have it in high school? But not until Junior year?

I must know how this came about. 
That is correct.  It’s was a actually senior year gym class but due to a scheduling quirk I was in a few classes with seniors as a junior.

I don’t really have a frame of reference to how/when other schools did it.  Needless to say we all rolled our eyes when we were told we were starting square dancing, but got over it really freaking quick. (Miss you Kiki, Tina and Jen wherever you are)

Shockingly, we didn’t do square dancing here in the most redneck part of CA.  I know it was a thing in the 50-60s but not in the 70s-80s.
Yeah - I feel the same - shocked you didn't do it. 

And, now I know it's happening, I'm shocked we never had it here in Louisville. 

Maybe - Reg - we just so redneck, it's in us by birth - coded in our overalls - overall genes that it. 

Hank, you runnin' this dance - you got KY relatives - did they learn square dancin' in school? 

Or - was it like, sooo important, that ever kid was an expert by 5 - and thus never needed schoolin'. 

To be honest, I can square dance circles round most Hee Haw'n hicksters - but never had a single lessin'. 

#Sorrow 

Users who are viewing this thread