What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Satellite/Dish TV techie question (1 Viewer)

SFBayDuck

Footballguy
My father-in-law is moving from southern Baja to mainland Mexico, 350-400 miles away.  He currently has a 4' dish for his Dish Network service, and the guy he hired to set up his new place said he'd need to buy an 8' dish, that the 4' one wouldn't work.  FIL doesn't get why moving 350 miles would make a difference when hitting a satellite 22K miles in space (he looked it up), and thinks the guy is trying to pull one over on him.  Not my area of expertise, so I told him I'd ask the smartest place on the whole interwebs what they thought. 

TIA

My father-in-law is moving from southern Baja to mainland Mexico, 350-400 miles away.  He currently has a 4' dish for his Dish Network service, and the guy he hired to set up his new place said he'd need to buy an 8' dish, that the 4' one wouldn't work.  FIL doesn't get why moving 350 miles would make a difference when hitting a satellite 22K miles in space (he looked it up), and thinks the guy is trying to pull one over on him.  Not my area of expertise, so I told him I'd ask the smartest place on the whole interwebs what they thought. 

TIA
I agree with your dad. I’m pretty sure the Dish is use in North Carolina is the same one people use in California. 

I wont say whether this specifc case is true but it is possible the new location signal is a bit different.

They may be currently be pointing to the 119W signal and the move will be pointing to the 110W or 129W signal - for example

Last edited by a moderator:
I wont say whether this specifc case is true but it is possible the new location signal is a bit different.

They may be currently be pointing to the 119W signal and the move will be pointing to the 110W or 129W signal - for example
Thanks, that’s helpful. 

What does that have to do with an 8 foot dish? I don’t live in Mexico, but I’ve never seen anywhere an 8 foot dish and I’ve had to have my dish repositioned once due to tall trees behind my house. It 100% sounds like an up sell that’s likely not needed. 

What does that have to do with an 8 foot dish? I don’t live in Mexico, but I’ve never seen anywhere an 8 foot dish and I’ve had to have my dish repositioned once due to tall trees behind my house. It 100% sounds like an up sell that’s likely not needed. 
Could be the bigger one has more LNBs, rain fade - weaker spot signal.

I don't know all teh factors - I'm just saying its possible

Here is a site - some info is old

https://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/

Its alos possible the guy is full of ####

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be the bigger one has more LNBs, rain fade - weaker spot signal.

I don't know all teh factors - I'm just saying its possible

Here is a site - some info is old

https://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/

Its alos possible the guy is full of ####
I forgot about that site. It was awesome way back when HD was in its infancy. Now that it’s ubiquitous, I haven’t been back there in years. I can’t think of any reason why a move of 350 miles would matter at all. LNBs if he had some special international service that he was adding, but the same programming? Seems like a complete upsell like a quick oil change saying your transmission fluid is dirty and smells burnt.

I forgot about that site. It was awesome way back when HD was in its infancy. Now that it’s ubiquitous, I haven’t been back there in years. I can’t think of any reason why a move of 350 miles would matter at all. LNBs if he had some special international service that he was adding, but the same programming? Seems like a complete upsell like a quick oil change saying your transmission fluid is dirty and smells burnt.
My move from DC to Charlotte was more miles than that and there was no need to increase the size of my dish. The only dish change I ever had was due to satellites/HD programming over 10 years ago and that was LNB related only because the old dishes didn’t have enough for all the new HD programming. In 2019, that’s been out for 10+ years now. 

apalmer said:
Older thread (2013) indicates some areas of Mexico have reception issues that reequire an 8-ft. dish:

http://www.mexconnect.com/forums/Specific_Focus_C3/Technical_Mexico_F15/Dishnetwork_in_Playa_del_Carmen_P188200/
Thanks, that thread actually references the place they are moving to:

Me? Here in the greater Chapala area, one finds, if you want HD, that DirecTV US and/or Shaw Direct (Canada) give you much better signals with an 8 footer for DirecTV and/or a 26.5 by 36.5 inch elliptical dish for Shaw Direct than does Dish Network.
Found some other threads on the site that reference the same area, looks like I should be able to find some info there.

Thanks all!

Users who are viewing this thread