What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AAF to suspend football operations today (1 Viewer)

squistion

Footballguy
https://nflupdate.co/breaking-aaf-suspending-football-operations/

Breaking: AAF Suspending Football Operations

The AAF started off on a good note back in February. Now it’s nearing the end.

According to Mike Florio and Daniel Kaplan, the AAF will be suspended later today and is headed towards being shut down.

AAF Chairman Tom Dundon said last week that the league is in danger of folding unless they can get some help from the NFLPA.

“If the players union is not going to give us young players, we can’t be a development league,” Dundon said. “We are looking at our options, one of which is discontinuing the league.”
Dundon, who also owns the NHL’s Carolina Hurricanes, made a $250 million investment last month after the league was in danger of not making payroll.

The NFLPA did not respond to Dundon’s comment, but according to the report, the NFLPA is concerned with allowing players to play in the AAF due to potential injury risk and violations of the CBA.

As of now, unsigned NFL players are free to join the AAF. Former NFL QB Johnny Manziel was claimed by the Memphis Express last week.

Life is filled with tragedy, with long patches of struggle and with, I think, beautiful bursts of joy and accomplishment. Blessed with those moments, you just try to relax as much as possible and focus on the little things, like the joy of changing your baby's diaper.

https://nflupdate.co/breaking-aaf-suspending-football-operations/

Breaking: AAF Suspending Football Operations

The AAF started off on a good note back in February. Now it’s nearing the end.

According to Mike Florio and Daniel Kaplan, the AAF will be suspended later today and is headed towards being shut down.

AAF Chairman Tom Dundon said last week that the league is in danger of folding unless they can get some help from the NFLPA.

Dundon, who also owns the NHL’s Carolina Hurricanes, made a $250 million investment last month after the league was in danger of not making payroll.

The NFLPA did not respond to Dundon’s comment, but according to the report, the NFLPA is concerned with allowing players to play in the AAF due to potential injury risk and violations of the CBA.

As of now, unsigned NFL players are free to join the AAF. Former NFL QB Johnny Manziel was claimed by the Memphis Express last week.
so strange that a new league would try to tie their success or failure to the NFLPA allowing them to use end-of-roster players. That couldn't have been the business plan going into this league, right?

You spend years and hundreds of millions of dollars to set up a professional football league, put a pretty promising "NFL developmental league" in place with the players and coaches they already have on their teams, and then, 7 weeks into the 1st season, you say you need the NFLPA to bail you out or you'll fold? Just nuts.

I was really enjoying having football in Feb/Mar/April. Alas...

Last edited by a moderator:
so strange that a new league would try to tie their success or failure to the NFLPA allowing them to use end-of-roster players. That couldn't have been the business plan going into this league, right?

You spend years and hundreds of millions of dollars to set up a professional football league, put a pretty promising "NFL developmental league" in place with the players and coaches they already have on their teams, and then, 7 weeks into the 1st season, you say you need the NFLPA to bail you out or you'll fold? Just nuts.

I was really enjoying having football in Feb/Mar/April. Alas...
The NFLPA is already supplying young players. No-one is stopping a UDFA from signing with the AAF. They know it's going to take a couple of years to get some talent. They went into this half assed, got bailed out once, and still have no money. Mockery.

I have come to realize that NFL and NCAA is enough football.  Other league just can`t compete with the NFL machine. The NFL is like a cyclone that sweeps up and spits out opposing pro leagues. Plus not the NFL is a 12 months a year league. right after the Super Bowl it is all free agent talk..then the draft talk. Next thing you know players are reporting to camps.

I have come to realize that NFL and NCAA is enough football.  Other league just can`t compete with the NFL machine. The NFL is like a cyclone that sweeps up and spits out opposing pro leagues. Plus not the NFL is a 12 months a year league. right after the Super Bowl it is all free agent talk..then the draft talk. Next thing you know players are reporting to camps.
Hard to compete with a basic monopoly.  The back of NFL rosters is stocked with the cheap players drafted late/not at all.

Good riddance.

Being pro rasslin' people are involved with the XFL hopefully they get creative with it, do things differently. 

You MUST return all kickoffs, if 9 yards deep, bummer, ya better get it out. Back the kickers up 10 yards.

One foot in like the college game.

PI just 15 yards like the college game.

Ease up on penalties far away from the play.

Ease up on holding as much as they can.

You can still hit a QB, yep, just like always.

No FG's until the last two minutes of half/game.

Bottom line is make the game more exciting for the fans, yep....like the rasslin'.

Got so tired of hearing about....the NFL this the NFL that....in the Alliance,  ah....the two games I did watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched 5minutes the other day. Mike Singletary came onto the field, and in a 3 play span, there were like 6 penalties.

Singletary was literally 20 yards onto the field.    The penalties were egregious.    It was like watching the Mean Machine, a bunch of ex convicts trying to play football.   Anyhow, that was 5 minutes wasted.    Poor product, and the break from February through August, makes you long for the nfl that much more

Never saw a game either, but I'll watch a league that challenges college football and pays 18-21 year-olds.

Hold on a minute, I never got a chance to watch a game. 😕

Me neither.   And I had another 2-3 years of “I’m gonna watch an AAF game one of these days” in me.   I feel robbed of that privilege.   

Never saw a game either, but I'll watch a league that challenges college football and pays 18-21 year-olds.
And here we see the primary reason why the AAF is going belly up.

We put the games up when I was working the first week.  Then the league went to channels that no one gets.  There really was a good amount of promise here.  It was flawed execution.  I'd much rather watch D grade football than regular season basketball for teams I don't care much about.  

Early season baseball wins out vs AAF though. 

The biggest problem, IMO, is ESPN. They have gone to exclusively highlighting players and not teams - doesn't lend itself to leagues with non-marquee talent.

:(

https://nflupdate.co/nfl-sends-memo-telling-team-to-hold-off-on-contacting-former-aaf-players/

Report: NFL sends memo telling teams to not contact AAF players for now

The Alliance of American Football officially suspended football operations on Tuesday. 

The AAF’s sudden decision stunned coaches and players who were two weeks away from completing the regular season.

Players were reportedly told to pay for their own flights home. Players are now being forced to take care of their own medical bills. It’s a complete mess.

For some players, there’s still hope that they might land on NFL teams for training camp and a shot of making the 53-man roster.

According to Terez Paylor of Yahoo Sports, the NFL has sent out a memo telling teams to hold off on contacting former AAF players.

According to Paylor, it’s standard procedure, as the NFL is being proactive to prevent the possibility of litigation. NFL teams aren’t allowed to contact players in other leagues. and while the AAF suspended operations, it hasn’t officially folded. Until that happens, NFL teams have been told to hold off.

Former AAF players like Charles Johnson (687 receiving yards), Jayrone Elliott (7.5 sacks), Trent Richardson (11 TDs), Nick Rose (14-14 FGs) and plenty others showed off their abilities during the 8 weeks of play. 

For the time being, until the AAF settles its current situation, they’ll have to wait.

Chiefs signed CB Keith Reaser.

Reaser is the first AAF castoff to land back in the NFL. He showed well with the de facto champion Orlando Apollos. Pro Football Focus charted him as the league's best corner. A 2014 fifth-rounder, Reaser spent 2017 on the Chiefs' practice squad before spending 2018 on injured reserve. He will still be a long shot to crack the 53-man roster, but his solid spring has reinvigorated his chances more than a typical offseason would have.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Apr 4, 2019, 12:23 PM
Reaser was #2 on the PFF list of the top 10 AAF players which I linked earlier.

More from PFF: AAF players who could have fantasy futures in the NFL

Ho hum.  It was boring.  Uniforms were atricious.  Never should’ve disbanded NFL Europe if they still wanted a “developmental” league.

I have come to realize that NFL and NCAA is enough football.  Other league just can`t compete with the NFL machine. The NFL is like a cyclone that sweeps up and spits out opposing pro leagues. Plus not the NFL is a 12 months a year league. right after the Super Bowl it is all free agent talk..then the draft talk. Next thing you know players are reporting to 
The entire South disagrees.

NFL, NCAA, and high school ball doesn't leave room for a league noone cares about

The entire South disagrees.

NFL, NCAA, and high school ball doesn't leave room for a league noone cares about
That is agreeing. Between the NFL, NCAA and local HS ball nobody cares about a new league.

I'm surprised they don't just do so at a happy medium. I'm curious why there couldn't be a more localized revenue model developed as it would appear the player development side was working but the "it must be on national television every week" revenue model clearly wasn't.

If the AAF/XFL were to try to reboot more akin to AA/AAA baseball then I could definitely see it being beneficial and workable.

That is agreeing. Between the NFL, NCAA and local HS ball nobody cares about a new league.
🤷‍♂️ just picking nits now, but your post didn't include HS. 

It's sort of amazed me how many people are into HS sports, without having kids even in the school especially football down here.

But yeah, a league where nobody has an affiliation, without names people recognize? Even Texas and Alabama won't fully embrace that.

🤷‍♂️ just picking nits now, but your post didn't include HS. 

It's sort of amazed me how many people are into HS sports, without having kids even in the school especially football down here.

But yeah, a league where nobody has an affiliation, without names people recognize? Even Texas and Alabama won't fully embrace that.
I agree!! :)

The league needs stars. There has to be intrigue. You gotta steal away a couple high profile guys and give people a reason to watch.

The league needs stars. There has to be intrigue. You gotta steal away a couple high profile guys and give people a reason to watch.
disagree.

I don't think the AAF was trying to be the AFL vs. NFL battle (steal away a couple of high profile players). I think with enough former-NFL names (Manziel, TRich, and other coaches, QBs and RBs that were recognizable) they were set up to be a good spring developmental league. The games were pretty good and it was nice to have football to watch in a previously dead time of the year (for me at least). I wish they had a better financial plan going in to get them past week freakin' 8 of their 1st season. Not sure what they thought was going to be different? They had moderate attendance, which is to be expected. Except San Antonio...they had really good attendance from what I understand. Something like 33k fans for an AAF game?! They definitely want pro football in that town.

A shame it couldn't work out.

I hope the Cowboys take a look at some of the RBs for their backup spot, and I'd even look at the QBs for the backup spot as well. I don't have faith in Cooper Rush, but I like what I saw from some guys in the AAF, like Luis Perez, who was pretty dope up until he threw his first interception, lol. It was pretty downhill from there with him, but that just tells me it is a mental thing with him. People become more confident over time, so bring him in and see if he can compete with Rush. I like that the 49ers got Ja'Quan Gardner and that the Panthers got Ross. Quinton Patton intrigued me too tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread