What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Speed in the NFL (1 Viewer)

ZenoRazon

Footballguy
John Ross ran a 4.22 40, what has he done with that speed, yep, nothing.  Then there's Tyreek Hill  who zoooommmmmm. Ross was no track star in school while Hill ran the second fastest 200m ever by a HS kid, 20.14 (20.13 the record Roy Martin who ended up in the Olympics). He was also a Big12 60 champ.

There have been around 20 Olympic sprinters play pro football,  busts like 68 Olympic 100m gold medalist Jim Hines to Hall of Famer Bullet Bob Hayes the 64 Olympics 100m gold medalist.

Guys like Ron Brown, Michael Bates, Sam Graddy, Willie Gault, James Jett all had ok careers while Ray Norton, Frank Budd, Gerald Tinker, Larry Burton did little .  So there are no gurantees that great speed is all that. Randy Moss would lose a 100m to everyone on that list but he was on a whole other level as a speed receiver. Julian Edelman isn't fast at all, his thing is quicks.

If you have ever wondered just who were the fastest footballers. Well here ya go.  I will ignore those like Hines and Tommie Smith that were just failed experiments.

Those at sub 10.10.100meters

Jacoby Ford Raiders/Clemson

Trindon Holliday  Broncos/LSU

Bob Hayes  Cowboys/FAMU

Ron Brown Rams/ASU

Alvis Whitted  Raiders/NCST

Darrell Green  Redskins/Texas A&I

Sam Graddy Broncos/Tenn

Those at sub 9.4100 yards

Bob Hayes

Cliff Branch  Raiders/Colorado

Mel Gray  Cards/Missouri

Willie McGee  Chargers/Alcorn

Travis Williams  Packers/ASU

Isacc Curtis  Bengals/Cal

John Roderick  Dolphins/SMU

Frank Budd  Eagles/Villanova

Ray Norton  Niners/SJS

Curtis Dickey  Colts/Tex A&M

Please don't take this as bragging....please, just a speed freak with that track/football connection a pet of mine. So if you have ever been curious about  just how fast was Eric Dickerson,  Randy Moss, Ted Ginn etc or anything about the fastest RB ever.......I can help. How fast was Adrian Peterson who was a track star?

There are no legit track stars in this draft by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: Andy Isabella was literally a track star
I can see that locally in his district, a 10.7*** a decent time for a HS kid.  I was talking at the NCAA level, there he did nothing.

*** fast HS boys run 10.3ish, the HS  record a gaudy 10.00 by Trendarvis Friday. 

Reggie Bush ran a 10.4ish in HS, while Tyreek Hill ran a 10.19.

World class women can run a 10.7.

6.72 60 meter dash as a HS Senior (2nd fastest in the country that year)
That's nothing in with NCAA guys which he is now. 

A 6.50 won the NCAA.

60 METERS

6.50*Grant Holloway (Fl)03/09NCAA Ind

6.53(A)*Emmanuel Wells (WaSt)02/09Kirby El

6.54*Cravont Charleston (NCSt)02/08Tiger Paw

Mike Rodgers (unat)02/16Birmingham IWT

6.55*Kasaun James (FlSt)03/08NCAA Ind

Demek Kemp (unat)02/16S. Carolina Open

John Teeters (UArm)02/02Martin Inv

6.56-Andrew Hudson (TxT)01/25Texas Tech Cl

6.57-Cravon Gillespie (Or)03/09NCAA Ind

Bryce Robinson (unat)02/20Düsseldorf WIT

(10)

As we can see a 6.72 won't get ya much.

...because he was too busy dominating in football...

fantasy track and field is a different forum bub
Dominating in football isn't what this thread was about, it was about the speed of NFL footballers, nothing "fantasy" about it.

How many times did we hear  "he has world class speed" for RGIII?  No he didn't, he was a "good" NCAA hurdler, nothing "world class" about him.  Same with Marquise Goodwin, yes the guy was an Olympian, but....long jump...not sprinting.  He does have 10.2 speed but that is not "World Class". All those guys can run a sub 10.10.

Why not just pick up a few things you probably didn't know,  I sure in the hell would.  What NFL RB was world ranked in the 100m while in college, no other NFLRB can say that.

Dominating in football isn't what this thread was about, it was about the speed of NFL footballers, nothing "fantasy" about it.

How many times did we hear  "he has world class speed" for RGIII?  No he didn't, he was a "good" NCAA hurdler, nothing "world class" about him.  Same with Marquise Goodwin, yes the guy was an Olympian, but....long jump...not sprinting.  He does have 10.2 speed but that is not "World Class". All those guys can run a sub 10.10.
It's called a relative term. 

But I guess you're right, no one in the NFL has world class speed. Maybe that's why they play football and dont run Olympic track.

We can move on now. 

It's called a relative term. 

But I guess you're right, no one in the NFL has world class speed. We can move on now. 
Are you paying any attention at all Dr. Dan?  Tyreek Hill has World Class speed. His 20.14 as a HS kid tells us with some serious training he's running sub 20.10, which is Olympic type speed.

Dr.Dan, why be a pest guy, if this isn't your thing then don't be here, ok" I just walk by suff that doesn't interest me, I sure don't stop in to pester.

That's nothing in with NCAA guys which he is now. 

A 6.50 won the NCAA.

60 METERS

6.50*Grant Holloway (Fl)03/09NCAA Ind

6.53(A)*Emmanuel Wells (WaSt)02/09Kirby El

6.54*Cravont Charleston (NCSt)02/08Tiger Paw

Mike Rodgers (unat)02/16Birmingham IWT

6.55*Kasaun James (FlSt)03/08NCAA Ind

Demek Kemp (unat)02/16S. Carolina Open

John Teeters (UArm)02/02Martin Inv

6.56-Andrew Hudson (TxT)01/25Texas Tech Cl

6.57-Cravon Gillespie (Or)03/09NCAA Ind

Bryce Robinson (unat)02/20Düsseldorf WIT

(10)

As we can see a 6.72 won't get ya much.
So... a quarter of a second faster over 60 meters gets him the top spot?  Am I reading that correctly?  That's quicker than I could say "Usain Bolt".

So... a quarter of a second faster over 60 meters gets him the top spot?  Am I reading that correctly?  That's quicker than I could say "Usain Bolt".
A quarter if a second is HUGE/MASSIVE in a 60.

A 6.7 in a whole other galaxy than a 6.5.

Usain Bolt won;t be all that in a 60.

Are you paying any attention at all Dr. Dan?  Tyreek Hill has World Class speed. His 20.14 as a HS kid tells us with some serious training he's running sub 20.10, which is Olympic type speed.

Dr.Dan, why be a pest guy, if this isn't your thing then don't be here, ok"
Okay. let me rephrase:

Except for one exception, the NFL does not have anyone else with world class speed. 

to answer your second question- I dont know. I imagine it's like a bad accident, you just cant help yourself from taking a peek

Okay. let me rephrase:

Except for one exception, the NFL does not have anyone else with world class speed. 

to answer your second question- I dont know. I imagine it's like a bad accident, you just cant help yourself from taking a peek
Dr.Dan,  just talking about some speedy football players, is that some problem guy?  What did Randy Moss do in track?  I bet some are curious about Adrian Peterson, Devin Hester, Chris Johnson? 

Who won between Herschel Walker vs Bo Jackson in the heats of the SEC 60?  Just how fast was Deion Sanders?

The Great Bob Hayes lost to two others NFLers in his day while in college....who beat him?

Dr. Dan, go bug somebody else ....ok ?

Dr.Dan,  just talking about some speedy football players, is that some problem guy?  What did Randy Moss do in track?  I bet some are curious about Adrian Peterson, Devin Hester, Chris Johnson? 

Who won between Herschel Walker vs Bo Jackson in the heats of the SEC 60?  Just how fast was Deion Sanders?

The Great Bob Hayes lost to two others NFLers in his day while in college....who beat him?

Dr. Dan, go bug somebody else ....ok ?
You're talking about track, not football. I could not care less what they did in track. I'm more concerned about their NFL careers. Some of the best NFL athletes were possibly the worst track athletes. 

You're hung up on announcers saying a guy has world class speed, taking it quite literally. You must be a blast at parties

You're talking about track, not football. I could not care less what they did in track. I'm more concerned about their NFL careers. Some of the best NFL athletes were possibly the worst track athletes. 

You're hung up on announcers saying a guy has world class speed, taking it quite literally. You must be a blast at parties
Hate to break it to ya like this Dr. Dan but I never once thought....will Dr. Dan approve?  And, at least I get invited to parties grumpy.

I ran track and was a RB/return guy, so it's in my blood,  is that ok with you, I find it interesting. If you don't then find a topic out there you do like, it really is just that simple.

A quarter if a second is HUGE/MASSIVE in a 60.

A 6.7 in a whole other galaxy than a 6.5.

Usain Bolt won;t be all that in a 60.
So, I started playing this over in my head, trying to envision 6.7 versus 6.5 -- a quarter second.  I wondered how far behind the second guy would be if the ran head-to-head.  Crunching some numbers, I estimated (ie guessed) a 2 meter stride & 30 strides per race. If the slower guy runs at 97% the rate of the fast guy, he still needs about 2 meters to finish the race -- about one stride.  Definitely noticeable.  But, wait!  This it what blows my mind:  They are taking 5 strides a second!  Absurd.  Can this really be true???  

Another difference is Isabella's 60 was as a high school senior not a more developed, better coached 21 or 22 year old NCAA Jr or Sr

So, I started playing this over in my head, trying to envision 6.7 versus 6.5 -- a quarter second.  I wondered how far behind the second guy would be if the ran head-to-head.  Crunching some numbers, I estimated (ie guessed) a 2 meter stride & 30 strides per race. If the slower guy runs at 97% the rate of the fast guy, he still needs about 2 meters to finish the race -- about one stride.  Definitely noticeable.  But, wait!  This it what blows my mind:  They are taking 5 strides a second!  Absurd.  Can this really be true???  
Here is former HS footballer Christian Coleman who has ran a 4.12 40 running his world record breaking (Mo Greene) 60m. He ran for Tennessee and as a college senior beat the great Usain Bolt at the Worlds.  He is the current speed king.

Count the steps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TJjZfKiMFM

Is he Tyreek fast, no, but running the 2nd fastest 60 in the country his SR year isn't exactly pedestrian.

Another difference is Isabella's 60 was as a high school senior not a more developed, better coached 21 or 22 year old NCAA Jr or Sr
That is why we can't really compare him to those who had that training.  All we can do is.....kid showed great potential.

Watched a couple times.  25, or so?
I got 24/25, but that was the fastest 60 in history, not a 6.5-6.7. And, Coleman is short a taller sprinter with a longer stride.....hmmm?

The thing Usain Bolt  had that seperated him from everyone else was this.....

Unlike all other sprinters he didn;t hit his TE/MV until around 80ish m, the norm is 70ish, so he spent less time in that deceleration phase, meaning more time in his max velocity (MV) phase.  His speed endurance outerworldly/supernatural.

I first saw O.J.Simpson around 1964 in Fresno at the West Coast Realys,  he ran a leg on his SFCC 4x1 team.  I remember seeing ....Orental James Simpson....in the program and thinking.....cool name.

He ran great that day me being unaware he was the nations top JC RB.

While at USC he ran a leg on a WR 4x1 team with fellow NFLer to be WR Earl McCullouch, former JC 100 yard  record holder Fred Kuller and the great Jamaican sprinter Lennox Miler.  Simpson was a legit 9.4 guy and made the finals in the NCAA 100 and 60, thinking he took 6th in both. 

They should have the players run about 20 sprints right in a row, then put on pads, then run a timed 40.  

A nice, fresh, limbered up 40 with 2 ounces of clothing on seems fairly worthless.  

Show me a 40 when tired and wearing pads.  

So some super fast guys arent good at football.  Shocker.  Not every tall dude is good at basketball either.

They should have the players run about 20 sprints right in a row, then put on pads, then run a timed 40.  

A nice, fresh, limbered up 40 with 2 ounces of clothing on seems fairly worthless.  

Show me a 40 when tired and wearing pads.  

So some super fast guys arent good at football.  Shocker.  Not every tall dude is good at basketball either.
Obvious speedsters Tony Dorsett, Eric Dickerson, Randy Moss. Chris Johnson, Devin Hester, Joey Galloway, Adrian Peterson did nothing in track (vs legit track stars) they were far better footballers than the FAR faster....Curtis Dickey,  Michael Bennett, Phil Epps, Andrew Hopkins, Mike Miller, Willie McGee, John Roderick,  yep, speed isn't everything.

I don;t put too much into a 40,  regardless of how it's done.

This would be the All TIme NFL 100m for RB's

Lane

1. O.J. Simpson  Bills/USC

2.Jamaal Charles  Chiefs/Texas

3.Michael Bennett  Vikes/Wisconsin

4.Curtis Dickey Colts/Tex A&M...........fastest RB in NFL history

5.Travis Williams  Packers/ASU

6.Javid Best  Lions/Cal

7.Buddy Young  Colts/Illinois

8.Ollie Matson  Rams/USF

"B"

Lane

1.Joe Delaney  Chiefs/NWLa

2.Bo Jackson  Raiders/Auburn

3.Herschel  Walker  Cowboys/Georgia

4.Eric Dickerson   Rams/SMU

5.Napolean  Kaufman  Raiders/Washington

6.Reggie Bush   Saints/USC

7.Billy Cannon  Oilers/LSU

8.Eugene  White  Raiders/FAMU

One of the forgotten stories in NFL history is that Jim Brown FB/Bobby Mitchell RB one.  Mitchell was a Big10 (Illinois) 100/110HH champion, he had blazing speed for his day.

Great example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5Si0LjDRRY

Imagine Jim Brown and that guy in the same backfield......damn!

What is the purpose of this thread?   Just trying to understand what I'm supposed to take away from it that has relevance.
RGIII does not have world class speed.

Running the 2nd fastest 100m in the nation as a HS senior does not qualify you as a track star

Fast guys in the NFL do not belong in the Olympics

ZenoRazon said:
I got 24/25, but that was the fastest 60 in history, not a 6.5-6.7. And, Coleman is short a taller sprinter with a longer stride.....hmmm?

The thing Usain Bolt  had that seperated him from everyone else was this.....

Unlike all other sprinters he didn;t hit his TE/MV until around 80ish m, the norm is 70ish, so he spent less time in that deceleration phase, meaning more time in his max velocity (MV) phase.  His speed endurance outerworldly/supernatural.
So...  Someone with a shorter stride would have to take more steps and would have to be faster to cover the same distance in the same time. 

What is the purpose of this thread?   Just trying to understand what I'm supposed to take away from it that has relevance.
Every football season we will hear about how this guy or that guy was a track star, he has "World Class speed". So speed is talked about, so I;m talking about it.

Came to post the same thing. Is this saying that some football players are faster than others?
Knowing what a guy like Antonio Brown did in other sports is interesting to me, I like to know all I can about the players.

Bryce Love the great Stanford RB soon to be an NFL still holds the 100m record in age group track, can't recall what age.  I like knowing this stuff.

Zeno is Lone Star, king of starting meaningless threads to see how many people he can sucker into replying.
Zeno is a track/football historian who thinks this speed in football is very interesting. And if you Google.....NFL Fastest Players.....you'll see what I mean. 

So...  Someone with a shorter stride would have to take more steps and would have to be faster to cover the same distance in the same time. 
We call that.....turnover.....a shorter sprinter needs superior turnover.

We rarely see short sprinters gaining (decelerating slower) late in a 100m.

RGIII does not have world class speed.

Running the 2nd fastest 100m in the nation as a HS senior does not qualify you as a track star

Fast guys in the NFL do not belong in the Olympics
About 20 NFLers ran in the Olympics.

Wasn't talking high school kids.

We can only talk about something one time? Why?
You can talk about the trackylympics as much as you want. Bump the other thread. Use the search function, use Google by typing in "footballguys, [subject], or your profile "topics I've started" to do so. Otherwise, you're just rehashing the same old arguments. 

You can talk about the trackylympics as much as you want. Bump the other thread. Use the search function, use Google by typing in "footballguys, [subject], or your profile "topics I've started" to do so. Otherwise, you're just rehashing the same old arguments. 
So we never have different posters here that might have missed the other speed talk? It's some real big deal how I go about it? You can't be serious.

I bet I can find more than one thread talking about the Patriots.

So we never have different posters here that might have missed the other speed talk? It's some real big deal how I go about it? You can't be serious.
It's generally considered a courtesy to bump threads instead of starting ones that are redundant, especially because of the potential to duplicate arguments, positions, facts, etc. You have to think about the regulars on the board, too. They're readers as well as content-drivers. They don't want to have to wade through the same slog twice. Go about it how you will; I'm just telling you board etiquette and what earns people respect on the board. I'm spending a lot more time than I want to on this sort of stuff. I'm not a mod, and haven't forgotten that. I'm trying to help you, and have since the beginning since I believe you're not a troll like a lot of people are saying in print here. 

Just...it's my two cents. Take those cents for what they're worth to you.    

Users who are viewing this thread