What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Andrew Yang 2024! (1 Viewer)

Max Power

Footballguy
I thought we had a thread, but nothing popped in the search results.

I'm really coming around on this guy to the point of excitement. I haven't been excited about a candidate since Obama in 2008.

I dont know if he is gaining traction or my youtube, yahoo, web address are just pointing me to more of his stuff. 

The guy offers well thought out ideas for some of the bigger issues facing our country. I guess he did a sit down with Ben Shapiro recently and I'm looking forward to that listen. 

I think everyone on both sides should at least explore the guy. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Never heard of him I googled and he has some radical ideas:

WH needs a psychologist to monitor Presidents

Lower voting age to 16

Pardon all people with marijuana convictions 

Fix the water problem in Flint

He gives the best argument for Basic Income Guarantee (I think he calls it a “freedom dividend”) that I’ve ever heard. 

Smart dude.

His stuff about the need for Universal Income because of automation is pretty scary. Huge problem at some point in our future, it touches on a ton of the MAGA stuff.

My worry about guys like Yang and Buttigieg (the very smart guys who have great ideas and speak so well on things) is they will get drowned out by the big money/big names of the party.

But when I hear both he and Mayor Pete speak, they sound so much more refreshing that others.  Speak with passion about this country and the people in it...without just talking hate and division.

Smart dude.

His stuff about the need for Universal Income because of automation is pretty scary. Huge problem at some point in our future, it touches on a ton of the MAGA stuff.
It really is at the heart of the MAGA stuff, but focuses on the real issue (automation/increasing wealth divide) instead of convenient distractions (brown people)

It really is at the heart of the MAGA stuff, but focuses on the real issue (automation/increasing wealth divide) instead of convenient distractions (brown people)
Yup. Exactly.

I don't know if Yang's way is the right path to take but it seems like a huge storm just sitting out there waiting to hit us.

Couple that with like half the country has no money saved heading into their 50's and I see a whole lot of pain in the future.

Couple that with like half the country has no money saved heading into their 50's and I see a whole lot of pain in the future.
He made that exact point on TV yesterday: for at least half of American households, if you hit them right now with an unexpected bill for $500, they don’t have the money to pay it. 

Thats an extremely disturbing statistic. It makes us much closer to economic catastrophe than we realize. One little thing goes wrong and our entire economic system is ####ed. Like Germany in 1928. 

He made that exact point on TV yesterday: for at least half of American households, if you hit them right now with an unexpected bill for $500, they don’t have the money to pay it. 

Thats an extremely disturbing statistic. It makes us much closer to economic catastrophe than we realize. One little thing goes wrong and our entire economic system is ####ed. Like Germany in 1928. 
And this is with an economy at full employment. They are working and can't afford to save anything. Really scary stuff.

Why on earth would Richard Spencer speaking out in support of Andrew Yang be something Yang should have to answer for.

Are...you...freaking...kidding...me?

All things considered though, I love his ideas.  Not sure there's any legitimate pathway from where we are now to there, nor am I in any way convinced he could get us there, but if you could transport me from now into that society, I would likely make that jump.

ETA: If we are all in some sort of simulation, and we've collectively figured that out, there should be a way to appeal to our simulator overlords to transfer our consciousness from this simulated reality to some other one.

If there's one where Yang wins and is able to successfully enact his policies, I'll put in a request to have my consciousness ported over there.  (But bring my family with me.)

I had already check that out. Get rid of welfare and then those that live off it may actually go get a job. At least some will.  Of course it could increase the number of people that work for a while, quit and take extended 'vacations' living off the $1k a month for a few months (If that's even possible) before going back to work.
Could probably be all kinds of unintended consequences. It’s interesting for sure.

He’s the only one really talking about it other than the generic “train for new job stuff” like it’s realistic for truck drivers to learn how to code.

I like a lot of his ideas. I don't think he has a snowballs chance but I'm glad he qualified for the debates. Getting these ideas out on a national stage is the big first step they need.

Why on earth would Richard Spencer speaking out in support of Andrew Yang be something Yang should have to answer for.

Are...you...freaking...kidding...me?

All things considered though, I love his ideas.  Not sure there's any legitimate pathway from where we are now to there, nor am I in any way convinced he could get us there, but if you could transport me from now into that society, I would likely make that jump.

ETA: If we are all in some sort of simulation, and we've collectively figured that out, there should be a way to appeal to our simulator overlords to transfer our consciousness from this simulated reality to some other one.

If there's one where Yang wins and is able to successfully enact his policies, I'll put in a request to have my consciousness ported over there.  (But bring my family with me.)
He apparently has a big following on 4chan and 8chan. He attributes it to appealing to the same people Trump did and misunderstandings on some of his positions.

He apparently has a big following on 4chan and 8chan. He attributes it to appealing to the same people Trump did and misunderstandings on some of his positions.
Still...just look at the dude.  White nationalist/supremacist?

Him having to distance himself from white nationalists like Richard Spencer is one of the most idiotic things I've seen on serious-seeming TV in a long time.

Him having to distance himself from white nationalists like Richard Spencer is one of the most idiotic things I've seen on serious-seeming TV in a long time.
Is it really? I mean I don't think he's one either of course but in this charged environment those things have to be addressed. Nazis endorsing you isn't a good look right now. It might have been blown off a couple of years ago but now? Its going to be an issue. Charlottesville. 

Is it really? I mean I don't think he's one either of course but in this charged environment those things have to be addressed. Nazis endorsing you isn't a good look right now. It might have been blown off a couple of years ago but now? Its going to be an issue. Charlottesville. 
The son of Chinese immigrants named Yang shouldn't have to distance himself from white nationalists simply because they endorse his message.

It's ludicrous.  

It points a huge red arrow at the ridiculous "guilt by association" going around on the left these days, that simply by folks taking up your messaging that you're somehow in league with them.  It's done to a lot of folks, some of the left, and some on the right as well. Ben Shapiro, Sam Harris, Rogan, Peterson, etc.  It's an intellectually vacant approach, which just appears outlandish in this kind of situation.

I believe one of his positions that they loved was that he is against mandatory circumcision and they took that as anti-Semitic.

It’s crazy that he needs to explain it but at the same time, I don’t want the next president to enable this group further, to move them further into the mainstream. I want someone who will push them back into the shadows of the internet.

That being said, I like him and his ideas. I hope that he gets some traction like Pete has.

Of course he should and I'm assuming he did. Hopefully forcefully and in no uncertain terms. Then that will be the end of that and everyone can move on. Sorry that's just the way it is. Its politics and such has always been the case.

I haven’t watched it and I probably won’t just becsuse of time constraints, but this might be kind of interesting: Yang on the Ben Shapiro show.

https://youtu.be/-DHuRTvzMFw
Worth a watch. It is an hour plus and I'm only 25 mins. Yang had some really well thought out ideas. I like Shapiro a lot, and Yang really comes off as a likable candidate. 

He seems like he is willing to engage in real conversations across the party lines. 

Finished the podcast on the way into work today.  This guy can easily steal a lot of trump voters if he can make it out of the primaries. 

I’ll donate if he runs as an Independent.
I'd put a curse on his whole family if he runs as an independent. But I'd donate if he runs as a Democrat or Republican in the general (unless he runs as a Republican and Buttigieg is his opponent -- but I think it's impossible for him to run as a Republican at this point, so never mind that).

I'd put a curse on his whole family if he runs as an independent. But I'd donate if he runs as a Democrat or Republican in the general (unless he runs as a Republican and Buttigieg is his opponent -- but I think it's impossible for him to run as a Republican at this point, so never mind that).
Max Power has him taking votes from Trump voters. I’m in on that, but I suppose he could take more Dem votes. I didn’t think this out very well.

Thought he acquitted himself well, but i'll be glad not to consider the world he envisions (i'll be dead before it can happen and consider a total crash a more likely eventuality anyway).
There are a couple of different scenarios I think he’s trying to address.

1. Robots will replace human labor in general. We’re probably a very long way off from this.

2. Robots and other technologies will replace human labor in particular industries in particular regions. (E.g., self-driving cars.) This is already happening and will probably pick up steam in the near future.

A universal basic income seems helpful in addressing both situations. (The second one because it should give people the means to move to another city or to retrain for different types of jobs.)

https://nypost.com/2019/06/29/andrew-yang-scored-over-100k-new-twitter-followers-after-dem-debate/amp/

The quietest Democratic presidential candidate in last week’s debates walloped the rest of the field in the Twitter primary.

Andrew Yang spoke only four times during Thursday night’s contest — and never once butted in.

But the little-known tech entrepreneur racked up more than 108,000 new Twitter followers in the hours that followed, according to a Post analysis, almost 38,000 more than his runner-up in total new followers, Sen. Kamala Harris of California.

The Iowa caucuses, the first votes that count in the 2020 presidential election, are still a grueling 217 days away. But the Twitter primary — the relative social-media popularity of the Democrats’ 25 candidates — is happening minute by minute.

Yang, who had 337,000 fans on the platform on June 25, boosted that total more than 32% the day after his first appearance before a national audience.

If I am not mistaken, UBI replaces welfare so welfare moms can no longer pump out more welfare babies and collect more income.

Users who are viewing this thread