What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Heaviest Song/Album You've Heard (and enjoyed) (1 Viewer)

Soulfly3

Footballguy
I assume as with most of you, I go in and out of phases when it comes to music.

3-4mos of old school hip-hop, 3-4mos of grunge, 3-4mos of reggae... and so on... Somethings always stay in the rotation, but overall, I think I'm a phase guy.

Lately, I've been getting back into metal. Now, obviously metal takes a million forms, and I'm really not a fan of the Death/Black Metal stuff.. But some metal just puts me in a mood to take on the day.

Was referred to a band I'd surprisingly never heard of... and the name kinda threw me off: Electric Wizard. They sound like Sabbath + Motorhead + Melvins + Sonic Youth in a leadwrapped burrito.

Dopethrone by Electric Wizard

Put this over the home sound system, and I watched the walls bleed and felt like I was in the midst of an acid trip. The bass ripped thru my chest. Sensational. 

I can likely say this was the heaviest song (and now album) Ive ever heard and enjoyed... Any more recommendations?

I'll tweak the premise a bit and say my favorite live surprise was a totally unheard of band from Providence, RI called I, Destroyer. There's no proper releases or readily available recordings. It would take a bit to find them. 

Wait, found one. Bible Of Blood 

Favorite heaviest stuff in proper release form -- off the top of my head as I'm sure there's some heavier stuff I've loved -- would be S.O.D., D.R.I., System Of A Down, and Pantera

Last edited by a moderator:
I love heavy guitar and music but need singing as well.  Most of the death metal is out for me.   

The heaviest album that I have always loved and still listen to frequently is Angel of Death by Slayer.  It is one of my favorite albums and is perfect for leg day since it is relentless.   

SOD is another great choice as mentioned by a previous poster.   

Slayer and Prong are both awesome bands. I just felt the need to comment and nod along with the choices.  

Even Slayer's stuff from the early aughts, when people thought they'd passed their prime, was really worthy of a listen.  

eta* Also, there's a great thread here about heavy metal. It was started by EG72. It's where the real metalheads here hang out.  

Bands I’ve seen live, probably Cannibal Corpse, although early Slipknot was pretty damn heavy

Anthrax and Meshuggah also come to mind

3-4mos of old school hip-hop, 3-4mos of grunge, 3-4mos of reggae... and so on... Somethings always stay in the rotation, but overall, I think I'm a phase guy.

Lately, I've been getting back into metal. Now, obviously metal takes a million forms, and I'm really not a fan of the Death/Black Metal stuff.. But some metal just puts me in a mood to take on the day.

Was referred to a band I'd surprisingly never heard of... and the name kinda threw me off: Electric Wizard. They sound like Sabbath + Motorhead + Melvins + Sonic Youth in a leadwrapped burrito.

Put this over the home sound system, and I watched the walls bleed and felt like I was in the midst of an acid trip. The bass ripped thru my chest. Sensational. 

I can likely say this was the heaviest song (and now album) Ive ever heard and enjoyed... Any more recommendations?
I'm not a big heavy metal guy.  I didn't expect to like it...and I didn't.  It started off OK.  I suppose in small doses It wouldn't be terrible, but I got through 3 minutes and it just felt so monotonous nor could I understand most of the lyrics.  I saw the video was 10 1/2 minutes long and decided to bail.  To answer the question posed by your thread title, for me it would have to be something from Metallica.  So that probably wouldn't generate any new recommendations for you.

Ya @Galileo, sludge/stoner metal is definitely an acquired taste. 

Feel it's something people either love or hate. And honestly, as its genre states, it's best enjoyed when stoned

One of the first ones I thought of when I saw the thread title.

I guess it depends on how you define heavy. Maybe old school Black Sabbath? I like the blues tinged heaviness.

There is something heavy (but in a different way) about the music of Magma. They created their own guttural language which enhances the weight of the music. It's also oddly likable to me although I suspect I'm in the minority. Here is a track from Udu Wudu called Zombies

I don't really go past Metallica/Pantera/Megadeth.

Is Sword or Torche harder than those?  I don't think so. 

Apart from that, there's an occasional song from Opeth when they don't death growl, but not a full album.

A lot of my favorites have been mentioned, Metallica, Slater, Pantera, SOD etc  so just to throw out something different, the cro mags first album, age of quarrel....hardcore, punk, metal mixed together.

Couldn’t tell you another song by them, or even what genre they fall into, but it’s probably  Stigmata by Ministry for me.

Couldn’t tell you another song by them, or even what genre they fall into, but it’s probably  Stigmata by Ministry for me.
That's a good one... You might like Just One Fix by them if you like Stigmata. Psalm 69 is pretty heavy too.

Eagles Live at the Rose Bowl.  72' I want to say, not sure.  There were so many songs, it took them two records to cover them all.  So between that and the fact they used a lot more cardboard back in the day, made it the heaviest by far.

I used to like heavy music back in HS. So I owned all of these CDs - I guess heaviest is up for interpretation:

Pantera: Far Beyond Driven

Any Metallica

All Deftones but especially Around the Fur

White Zombie (Thunderkiss 65 is still my jam)

Fear Factory

Soulfy and Sepultura

Most of the stuff in that range, never got into the Cookie Monster metal stuff.  

Lately I've fallen in love with the album Meta by Car Bomb. Warning: only about 25% of the vocals are clean. And I can't explain why I like one guy's screamy growl but hate another's. It is what it is.

Anyway Car Bomb plays a very heavy style with a lot of breakneck tempo changes, quick pauses, and twists and turns in each song. Some sections come and go and are never re-visited.

A couple of my favorites:

Gratitude

Sets

I like the main bands. Listened to a bunch of metal during high school and college but most of it doesn't stick with you after awhile. The classics like Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, etc, they stay in your head and you get pumped when you hear them. 

Metallica - Kill em All

Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power

Slayer - Reign in Blood

Megadeth - Peace Sells (but who's buying)

System of a Down - Toxicity

Korn - Korn

nirad3 said:
Tool is about as heavy as I'll go.  
If I had to single out one song it's probably Jerk Off.  Just don't associate whole Tool albums with 'heaviest,' but that's the great thing about music - two people can hear the same thing, have two completely different takeaway's, and they can both be right.  Except when it comes to Billy Corgan.  He just blows goats.  

Users who are viewing this thread