What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 1980's One Hit Wonders . . .​​​​ #1 - LIPPS, INC. - Funkytown *** (1 Viewer)

On to the #21's . . .

BRUCE COCKBURN - Wondering Where The Lions Are (#21 - 6/7/1980)
I remember the song but would not have guessed it charted this high. Or that this was his Top 40 entry out of 25 albums.

RUSH - New World Man (#21 - 10/30/1982)
Yeah, I get it. Should not be on a OHW list. But they did chart 41 songs on the Mainstream Rock chart. They released 62 singles, so the label must have cared about singles. Odd.

TWISTED SISTER - We're Not Gonna Take It (#21 - 9/22/1984)
They had other songs but they didn't chart high enough. Surprised it hasn't been brought up in the other OHW thread.

CHICO DEBARGE - Talk To Me (#21 - 2/21/1987)
Younger brother of the members of DeBarge, a group that charted 5 Top 40 songs.

DONNA ALLEN - Serious (#21 - 5/9/1987)
Similar sound to other poppy dance songs of the mid-80's.

COMPANY B - Fascinated (#21 - 6/13/1987)
Yet this one I always liked.

TIMES TWO - Strange But True (#21 - 2/21/1988)
Don't remember it. Not even the chorus.

SUGARHILL GANG - Rapper's Delight (#36 - 1/12/1980)
Can't say I was much into rap as a 13 year old.
Heh - I liked this 4 hours ago, and planned to come back and tell my story.

Well, I got lost, and posted it in Tim's OHW thread in response to @Rove! ' s listing.

Sorry to those who have to encounter this twice, but this was its intended home:

When this came out, we flipped out & converted.

Rap Attack  was the name of our 1st break-dancin' group - we formed it around '83 - a few years after RD.

3 members - my handle was T-Funnel - Run Hot & Downtown were me gang members.

A few years ago, I posted the story of how we got our Breakin' Names, after @otb_lifer asked fer details:

Man of Constant Sorrow said:
Hmmm, T-Funnel...let me think back...

It all began with Dad Jokes, as I recall.

One buddy's dad was bald (Turtle Wax), another's was a bigger loon than I am (Loopy), and my Pop was a drinker (Funnel).

Well, one night we stole 2 sixteen ounce bottles of liquor from my dad. Actually, we didn't steal the bottles, rather, we poured 16 oz of vodka into one empty Pepsi bottle...and a half and half mix of vodka & gin into a 2nd. We feared that taking too much of the vodka would bust us.

So, the guys whose pops were Turtle & Loopy split the 16 oz of vodka.  I finished the mixed one by myself.  I ended up puking alll over my brand new New Balance basketball shoes (Later referred to as "Nordenheggers"...don't ask why that name came about...I was drunk at the time.)

Anyways, after than night, I became "T. Funnel"...son of "Funnel".

A few months later, the 3 of us formed "Rap Attack"...our break dance crew.

I kept "T. Funnel"...the other 2 were....????????????....maybe...."Run Hot" & "Downtown".

We beasted the streets for a few months before we realized that we were only dorks in parachuute pants and moved on to metal.

However, during that time we actually got pretty decent at breakdancing...

...in fact, when my 2 friends got married years later, we all did the dolphin/worm at the weddings...

...I broke the same big toe both times...

...haven't broke since then!

:excited: 
Good times.

Thnx for the memories. 👍

Come back @otb_lifer
And, again - live this time - thnx for the memories - and especially the stories, Anarchy.

Anarchy99 said:
TIMES TWO - Strange But True (#21 - 2/21/1988)
Don't remember it. Not even the chorus.
Of all the random OHWs, I could probably quote more of this song by heart than almost any other. "I ... I live up the stairs from you ... it's a room without a view ..."  I also remember, without looking and again for no reason whatsoever, that their (presumably only) album was titled ... are you ready? ... X2 (get it?)

Fun suspicion why this might be the case: I used to put a blank cassette into my stereo and hit "record" to capture those portions of American Top 40 that I missed while at soccer games or church on weekends, as a result of which I used to listen to certain portions of the countdown way out of proportion to their actual pop-cultural impact. I can only assume that Times Two featured prominently into one or more such recordings.

Into the Top 20 . . . with mostly duds.

ROGER DALTREY - Without Your Love (#20 - 11/29/1980)
I seem to remember other Daltrey solo efforts a lot more than this one. Saw him in an episode of CSI the other night. Weird coincidence.

SCARLETT & BLACK - You Don't Know (#20 - 4/16/1988)
I remember it but it does not move the needle much for me.

SUAVE - My Girl (#20 - 5/14/1988)
You would think of all the remakes that have been recorded, there would have been others that may have been more likely to chart.

SYBIL - Don't Make Me Over (#20 - 12/2/1989)
I guess it's a nice song and she is a decent singer . . . but not exactly a famous 80's track.

Not a lot of volume or quality at the #20 slot.

Will interject another story involving that Sybil song. I was in college at the time and the head of the English department knew me and apparently liked me as he tried to play match maker. He tried REALLY hard to get me to go out with his daughter (who also attended the school). Apparently I was intelligent, a decent guy, not a trouble maker, and might go on to have a career in something. She had a thing for the rough and tumble, bad boy type. The dad said she had been on and off again with a substance using, women abusing, guy in a band that had a rap sheet and was a regular in the local police blotter. But thankfully, he said, that ended a few months ago.

She and I had been in some classes together and we started hanging out some on campus.She was the artsy, dark and mysterious type. She had a bit of a reputation of being a big partier (which despite my stories I was not). On a Friday when we were having lunch together, I asked if she wanted to go to dinner the following weekend.  She thought I was cool and jumped at the chance to go out (which surprised me). She mentioned that her father thought I was a great writer and she admitted to reading several of my papers and thought they were great and inspiring.

Rather than wait until the following weekend, she suggested we just hang out the rest of that day. It was a really nice day, so we went hiking and hung out. We ended up going out to dinner and then for drinks after and things were going great. We had some interesting discussion on literature (of all things) as we had read some of the same books. We spent some of the day going shopping, so it was a blend of formal date, off the cuff hanging out, and getting to know you all rolled into one. So far, so good.

We were having a great time at the bar and she invited me back to her apartment, which was like a block from the bar. We got back to her place and she was in a great mood. She told me to make some drinks, she had some stuff stashed away that she wanted to smoke, she wanted to slip into something more comfortable, and she was looking forward to a great night together. So she turned on the stereo and went into her bedroom while I went into the kitchen to make the drinks. Again, so far so good.

In the dead technologies category, people used to have answering machines before there was voicemail. The younger generation may not recall that. On her way to get changed, she hit the play button on her answering machine which yielded some interesting results. Message #1 was a girl from one of her classes wanting to get together for study group for an upcoming test. Message #2 was a BFF wanting the skinny and details on how her date with me went. Message #3 was her dad wanting to know how her date with me went (to which she screamed at me "he's SOOOOO annoying"). Message #4 was a different friend wanting to know how her date went with added interest because I was not the type of guy she would normally go out with. At this point, she yelled at me that that should be it for people asking about how her date went because no one else knew about it. At about this point, I am wondering what may or may not happen and what I was prepared to do or not to do. Again, so far so good. Thinks were going really well.

Then we got to Message #5. And I would not be retelling this story without Message #5. There just HAD to be a Message #5. Friggin' Message #5. 

The fifth message was her ex-boyfriend calling to apologize that he was drunk that night and didn't mean the things he said, that he never should have hit her, that he is going to change, that the other girl didn't mean anything, and that he really wanted to see her right away. He said he was at a different bar and asked her to come meet him ASAP. This while I am finishing up mixing the drinks and moving to the couch for what I was thinking was going to be some quality one on one time.

She came running out of the bedroom completely naked screaming "OMG! OMG! OMG! He wants to see me! He wants to see me! You have to help me pick out the perfect thing to wear!." It was like she was on speed and talking a thousand miles an hour. She proceeded to try on 5 or 6 outfits right in front of me, going from outfit to outfit and wearing nothing at all in between outfits. She wanted my perspective on what she could wear to look somewhat interested but not too interested. So it had to be casual but not too casual, sexy but not too sexy, and showed enough skin but not too much skin.

I was mostly in shock and didn't say much and she based my opinion by my facial reaction to each outfit. She finally picked one on her own. Then she essentially threw me out on the way out the door, gave me a big hug and a kiss, and told me she would make good on a night together another time and she would definitely would make it worth my while. Needless to say, I passed on that option and we never went out again.

I mention it under the Sybil song because that was the song that was playing when things went off the deep end. That definitely was a WTF moment.

Will interject another story involving that Sybil song. I was in college at the time and the head of the English department knew me and apparently liked me as he tried to play match maker. He tried REALLY hard to get me to go out with his daughter (who also attended the school). Apparently I was intelligent, a decent guy, not a trouble maker, and might go on to have a career in something. She had a thing for the rough and tumble, bad boy type. The dad said she had been on and off again with a substance using, women abusing, guy in a band that had a rap sheet and was a regular in the local police blotter. But thankfully, he said, that ended a few months ago.

She and I had been in some classes together and we started hanging out some on campus.She was the artsy, dark and mysterious type. She had a bit of a reputation of being a big partier (which despite my stories I was not). On a Friday when we were having lunch together, I asked if she wanted to go to dinner the following weekend.  She thought I was cool and jumped at the chance to go out (which surprised me). She mentioned that her father thought I was a great writer and she admitted to reading several of my papers and thought they were great and inspiring.

Rather than wait until the following weekend, she suggested we just hang out the rest of that day. It was a really nice day, so we went hiking and hung out. We ended up going out to dinner and then for drinks after and things were going great. We had some interesting discussion on literature (of all things) as we had read some of the same books. We spent some of the day going shopping, so it was a blend of formal date, off the cuff hanging out, and getting to know you all rolled into one. So far, so good.

We were having a great time at the bar and she invited me back to her apartment, which was like a block from the bar. We got back to her place and she was in a great mood. She told me to make some drinks, she had some stuff stashed away that she wanted to smoke, she wanted to slip into something more comfortable, and she was looking forward to a great night together. So she turned on the stereo and went into her bedroom while I went into the kitchen to make the drinks. Again, so far so good.

In the dead technologies category, people used to have answering machines before there was voicemail. The younger generation may not recall that. On her way to get changed, she hit the play button on her answering machine which yielded some interesting results. Message #1 was a girl from one of her classes wanting to get together for study group for an upcoming test. Message #2 was a BFF wanting the skinny and details on how her date with me went. Message #3 was her dad wanting to know how her date with me went (to which she screamed at me "he's SOOOOO annoying"). Message #4 was a different friend wanting to know how her date went with added interest because I was not the type of guy she would normally go out with. At this point, she yelled at me that that should be it for people asking about how her date went because no one else knew about it. At about this point, I am wondering what may or may not happen and what I was prepared to do or not to do. Again, so far so good. Thinks were going really well.

Then we got to Message #5. And I would not be retelling this story without Message #5. There just HAD to be a Message #5. Friggin' Message #5. 

The fifth message was her ex-boyfriend calling to apologize that he was drunk that night and didn't mean the things he said, that he never should have hit her, that he is going to change, that the other girl didn't mean anything, and that he really wanted to see her right away. He said he was at a different bar and asked her to come meet him ASAP. This while I am finishing up mixing the drinks and moving to the couch for what I was thinking was going to be some quality one on one time.

She came running out of the bedroom completely naked screaming "OMG! OMG! OMG! He wants to see me! He wants to see me! You have to help me pick out the perfect thing to wear!." It was like she was on speed and talking a thousand miles an hour. She proceeded to try on 5 or 6 outfits right in front of me, going from outfit to outfit and wearing nothing at all in between outfits. She wanted my perspective on what she could wear to look somewhat interested but not too interested. So it had to be casual but not too casual, sexy but not too sexy, and showed enough skin but not too much skin.

I was mostly in shock and didn't say much and she based my opinion by my facial reaction to each outfit. She finally picked one on her own. Then she essentially threw me out on the way out the door, gave me a big hug and a kiss, and told me she would make good on a night together another time and she would definitely would make it worth my while. Needless to say, I passed on that option and we never went out again.

I mention it under the Sybil song because that was the song that was playing when things went off the deep end. That definitely was a WTF moment.
#Sorrow ☹️

Back to the countdown and on to the #19's . . .

YARBROUGH & PEOPLES - Don't Stop The Music (#19 - 4/11/1981)
Another track that didn't really fit a format on a station where I lived.

STANLEY CLARKE & GEORGE DUKE - Sweet Baby (#19 - 8/1/1981)
Not many R&B songs that feature the electric sitar.

TIMBUK 3 - The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades (#19 - 12/27/1986)
Textbook, classic 80's OHW . . . how did this gem get no mention in any of the OHW talk? Near the top of my 80's playlist.

HIPSWAY - The Honeythief (#19 - 4/4/1987)
Another one that gets regular play in my 80's folder of music. Scottish band that Somehow released 5 singles from their debut album and released a 2nd album than disappeared until reunion last year after 30 years.

Into the Top 20 . . . with mostly duds.

ROGER DALTREY - Without Your Love (#20 - 11/29/1980)
I seem to remember other Daltrey solo efforts a lot more than this one. Saw him in an episode of CSI the other night. Weird coincidence.
I knew that Daltrey didn't have many solo hits in the '80s, but also don't remember this one well. I would have put my guess on After The Fire if I had to name his one top 40 hit from the decade.
I remember "After The Fire" getting quite a bit of run on MTV. But classic rock was dead in the '80s and the general public just didn't want anything to do with it.

Other Daltrey singles . . . (After The Fire hit #3 on the Mainstream Rock chart)

Under A Raging Moon (#10 on Mainstream Rock chart)
Walking In My Sleep (#4)
Let Me Down Easy (#11 - Written by Bryan Adams)
Quicksilver Lightning (#11)
Martyrs And Madmen (#38)
Say It Ain't So, Joe (#41)
Take Me Home (#46)
Days Of Light (#6)
I remember “Free Me” from back in the day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgIlL0ih6wY....didn’t know that was a Russ Ballard penned song...

Last edited by a moderator:
On to the #18's . . .

THE KORGIS - Everybody's Got To Learn Sometime (#18 - 12/27/1980)
I remember the song somewhat but am surprised it got up to #18.

TIERRA - Together (#18 - 2/21/1981)
Perhaps I spoke too soon. The Korgis song is a masterpiece compared to this one.

LEROUX - Nobody Said It Was Easy (Lookin' For The Lights) (#18 - 4/17/1982)
Not many bands don't get a discography section in addition to not having links to individuals in the band. That should tell us something.
Although I remember one of their other other videos for some reason. Addicted.

MIDNIGHT STAR - Operator - #18 - 2/2/1985)
The video is pretty amusing, as are the hair styles and costumes.

CLARENCE CLEMONS - You're A Friend Of Mine (#18 - 1/18/1986)
Haven't heard this one in a while. I remember meeting Jackson Browne at a benefit along with Kenny Loggins and Bonnie Raitt. Yet the internet has no record of it.Does that mean I am imagining it?

I was going to call it a day, but I can't with that hodge podge of options. Will post the #17's too.

GREG GUIDRY - Goin' Down - (#17 - 5/1/1982)
He has an odd story. He put an album out that had a hit single and sold pretty well. But he didn't put out another album for 18 years.
Then a short time after that he apparently lit himself on fire in his garage.

BIG COUNTRY - In A Big Country (#17 - 12/3/1983)
Well, I like the album version better, so here it is. The lead singer also killed himself, so not exactly a couple of happy endings to start the #17 OHW list.

LIMAHL - Never Ending Story (#17 - 6/15/1985)
At least he's still alive, so that's a plus.From the movie of the same name.

CHARLIE SEXTON - Beat's So Lonely (#17 - 3/22/1986)
A song I still listed to quite a bit. Used at the end of one of my 80's film faves . . . Some Kind of Wonderful. After Stevie Ray Vaughan died, Sexton joined Double Trouble and formed Arc Angels , who put out a pretty solid CD (but none after that). Living In A DreamSent By AngelsShape I'm In, and the rocker Too Many Ways To Fall.

LIVING IN A BOX - Living In A Box (#17 - 8/22/1987)
Raise your hand if you've even THOUGHT about this song in 30 years, let alone heard it. I don't see many hands in the air.

MIDNIGHT OIL - Bed's Are Burning #17 - 7/2/1988)
Always loved this song. Still gets played a fair amount, but for some reason Midnight Oil doesn't really get called a OHW even though it was their only Top 40 song.

Anarchy99 said:
MIDNIGHT OIL - Beds Are Burning #17 - 7/2/1988)
Always loved this song. Still gets played a fair amount, but for some reason Midnight Oil doesn't really get called a OHW even though it was their only Top 40 song
Probably because they had no fewer than seven top 10s on the alternative charts. You couldn’t watch Dave Kendall for more than 15 minutes back in the early ‘90s without hearing an Oils song. (Mind you, this was, and is, not a bad thing.)

Anarchy99 said:

MIDNIGHT STAR - Operator - #18 - 2/2/1985)
The video is pretty amusing, as are the hair styles and costumes
This was one of the top choices for break dancin in my boogie days. 

Yeah, it may seem odd, but back in '85 & "86, there was not much Rap & Hip-hop played on the waves - we had to take what was available, at the time. 

Wonderful song. 👍

Edit: oh yeah - this band was formed in '76 at KY State University - love locals. 

Probably because they had no fewer than seven top 10s on the alternative charts. You couldn’t watch Dave Kendall for more than 15 minutes back in the early ‘90s without hearing an Oils song. (Mind you, this was, and is, not a bad thing.)
I would have thought that "Blue Sky Mine" hit the top 40, but clearly just missed at #47.

On to the 16's . . .

BOB & DOUG MCKENZIE (WITH GEDDY LEE) - Take Off (#16 - 3/27/1982)
Also known as actors Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas. Somehow this is the highest charting single involving Geddy Lee, because it's clearly head and shoulders better than anything Rush ever did.

GODLEY AND CREME - Cry (#16 - 10/5/1985)
I remember the video garnering a lot of attention at the time. Now it's pretty low tech, but back then it was considered avante-garde and creative.

DOUBLE - The Captain Of Her Heart (#16 - 9/13/1986)
Another lost classic . . . if adult contemporary tickles your fancy. I seem to hear this a lot when I go to the dentist for some reason.

That's it for the 16's.

I am going to change the ranking system a little moving forward as we hit the final 100 songs. Instead of just ranking each ordinal by oldest to newest, I will rank each tie by most weeks on the chart as the tiebreaker.

Users who are viewing this thread