What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 1980's One Hit Wonders . . .​​​​ #1 - LIPPS, INC. - Funkytown *** (1 Viewer)

#99 - GIUFFRIA - Call To The Heart (#15 - 2/2/1985 - 15 weeks)
Not sure how many bands name themselves after their keyboardist, but this is one. Gregg Guiffria was in a band called Angel that broke up and then formed Giuffria with hard rock / glam musicians from the L.A. music scene. They put out two albums and rotated through a bunch of band members. The band featured session musicians and guys that recorded with the likes of Dio, Quiet Riot, and House of Lords. They toured with Deep Purple and later opened for Foreigner on their Agent Provocateur tour.

They had two lesser charting follow up songs that I don't recall . . . Lonely In Love and I Must Be Dreaming. Like a lot of 80's bands, Giuffria (without Gregg Guiffra) reformed in 2015 with another combination of musicians.

Not sure how many bands name themselves after their keyboardist, but this is one. Gregg Guiffria was in a band called Angel that broke up and then formed Giuffria with hard rock / glam musicians from the L.A. music scene. They put out two albums and rotated through a bunch of band members. The band featured session musicians and guys that recorded with the likes of Dio, Quiet Riot, and House of Lords. They toured with Deep Purple and later opened for Foreigner on their Agent Provocateur tour.

They had two lesser charting follow up songs that I don't recall . . . Lonely In Love and I Must Be Dreaming. Like a lot of 80's bands, Giuffria (without Gregg Guiffra) reformed in 2015 with another combination of musicians.
Argent jumps out as another one. Also a one-hit wonder from the '70s, as it turns out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Up next, a Grammy winning American jazz guitarist that has released 32 solo albums and 6 with groups but this is his only song that charted.
Oh, and he played guitar on Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb. 

Up next, a Grammy winning American jazz guitarist that has released 32 solo albums and 6 with groups but this is his only song that charted.
Oh, and he played guitar on Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb. 
One of the very first MTV videos played, if I recall correctly.

I used to have a soft spot for Giuffria for some unknown reason. Some notes on them:

1. they were originally going to be a new lineup of Angel (after the original band broke up in 1981) but other members of Angel threatened a lawsuit.

2. Angel was a bunch of KISS-wannabes who never quite had a hit (their only charting single was a cover of The Rascals' "I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore", which stalled at #44 in 1977). They also played a very small role in launching the career of Van Halen -- in 1977, members of Angel heard Van Halen's cover of "You Really Got Me", which at the time was slated to be filler material on their debut album (but was not planned to be a single). Angel thought that the updated arrangement had potential as a single, so they immediately went into the studio to record their own version of the song. Van Halen found out about Angel's plan and immediately rush-released "You Really Got Me" as their debut single, and the rest is history.

3. when Giuffria morphed into House Of Lords, they scored a rock-radio hit in 1990 with a cover of "Can't Find My Way Home".

I used to have a soft spot for Giuffria for some unknown reason. Some notes on them:

1. they were originally going to be a new lineup of Angel (after the original band broke up in 1981) but other members of Angel threatened a lawsuit.

2. Angel was a bunch of KISS-wannabes who never quite had a hit (their only charting single was a cover of The Rascals' "I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore", which stalled at #44 in 1977). They also played a very small role in launching the career of Van Halen -- in 1977, members of Angel heard Van Halen's cover of "You Really Got Me", which at the time was slated to be filler material on their debut album (but was not planned to be a single). Angel thought that the updated arrangement had potential as a single, so they immediately went into the studio to record their own version of the song. Van Halen found out about Angel's plan and immediately rush-released "You Really Got Me" as their debut single, and the rest is history.

3. when Giuffria morphed into House Of Lords, they scored a rock-radio hit in 1990 with a cover of "Can't Find My Way Home".
Coolest thing about Angel was their logo being the same upside down.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ma0Rnh6VBMI/TGn2-wVusyI/AAAAAAAAB8w/fwbdt5VMBcI/angel+transp.gif

Also had a cameo in the Jodie Foster 1980 movie Foxes where they performed the song "20th Century Foxes."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iRBG9YkCsQ

One more note on Giuffria: the bass player on their 2nd album (David Sikes) had played with Aldo Nova (another one-hit wonder) and later spent 12 years in the band BOSTON. And if you live in the San Francisco area and you're in the market for insurance, he can help you find the coverage you need.

#98 - LEE RITENOUR - Is It You (#15 - 6/27/1981 - 16 weeks)
Ritenour has been nominated for 17 Grammy Awards and only won once. I remember the song, as it was the rare occasional cross over jazz song that made it to the mainstream Top 40 chart. His Fourplay album spent 33 weeks at No. 1 on Billboard’s contemporary jazz chart in 1991. He's said to have been a session guitarist on over 3,000 sessions including tracks by Steely Dan, Frank Sinatra, Simon & Garfunkel, Phil Collins, BB King, Ray Charles, Artha Franklin, Barbra Streisand, and many others.

As far as PF goes, I believe he was brought on as a studio musician and guitar tech to help out David Gilmour. As the story goes, he really wanted to make a good first impression and showed up to the studio with 15 guitars to impress Gilmour. Except DG had 75 of his own better and more expensive guitars already out and was experimenting with them to get different sounds and effects. Ritenour ended up playing rhythm guitar on Comfortably Numb and acoustic guitar on some other tracks on The Wall. Pink Floyd apparently recorded an extended studio version of Comfortably Numb with the guitar solo at the end being 3 minutes longer. That has never surfaced either officially or unofficially. Of course, anyone into PF bootlegs has heard extended versions of the song many times over, but it would be nice to have a pristine studio version to add to the collection.

Up next, a Scottish singer-songwriter whose brother spent 16 years as the bass player for Supertramp.

The drummer chewing gum in the video =  :lmao:

#96 - KON KAN - I Beg Your Pardon (#15 - 3/11/1989 - 18 weeks)
Kon Kan had essentially only two songs that did much of anything on the charts. I Beg Your Pardon grabbed lines directly from Lynn Anderson's Top 5 hit (I Never Promised You A) Rose Garden. Their other single that stalled before it hit the Top 40 was  P-u-s-s N’ Boots, which emulated the scream from Led Zeppelin's Immigrant Song and borrowed from Nancy Sinatra's These Boots Are Made For Walking. That was during the explosion of artists sampling famous songs from just about anyone. The irony for me is I have Rose Garden and Boots loaded in my car and listen to both songs regularly. As far as Kon Kan goes, I could take them or leave them, but they were big at parties and the club scene.

Which brings us to another story. Around that time, I was dating a girl that wanted to go see a matinee of the the movie Say Anything. So we looked in the newspaper to see when it was playing at the local cineplex. (The younger set can look up what a newspaper is if they are unfamiliar with the term.) Since there was no internet yet, it was either that or call the theater and listen to the entire listing for all movies and showtimes and that could literally take 10 minutes.

When we got to the movies, the show times printed in the newspaper were all wrong and we had an hour to kill before Say Anything started again. There wasn't enough time to go anywhere else, so I drove around to the back of the theater to hang out and kill time. The young lady in question was very fashion conscious and cared a lot about her appearance (always a plus) and looked great with just the right amount of make up on.

While we were waiting in the car, she started giving me the low down on make up, what each item was called, and how to apply it. Except she applied it all on me. So I got treated to a full makeover with nothing but the finest high society had to offer. Foundation, rouge, blush, eye liner, fake eye lashes, lipstick . . . heck, she even painted my nails. As if that wasn't funny enough, then she had me change into her outfit (I was a lot thinner back in the day and she was a tall drink of water, so I could somewhat get her stuff on.) I put on her blouse and she had a navy blazer / sports coat that I squeezed into with a very stylish broach on the outside. Very stylish. She also had a trendy sun hat that really completed the ensemble. The rug really tied the room together, as they say in The Big Lebowski.

She was dying with laughter at what I had on, and she asked me to get out of the car and for me to do a fashion show runway walk up and pirouette so she could get the full effect. Having no shame and no dignity, I of course obliged. I went out and did my thing . . . came back to the car . . . and she had locked all the doors. I was not expected that and wasn't thrilled in the heat of the moment (but I admit it was a very funny maneuver).

I had a really nice Audi sedan at the time with a sunroof, and we had the sunroof open. When she refused to unlock the doors, I climbed on top of the car and tried to reach in through the sunroof to unlike the doors. That's when the police siren went off.

You had to be there to get the full effect. The officer had me get off the car when I was in full makeup, women's clothing, and with a ladies hat on. At this point, she was in the car with no top on. She was laughing so hard she couldn't speak and was almost convulsing. The police office tried to get her to settle down and kept asking her if she was ok, if I had attacked her, and if I was forcing her to do things against her will. She finally calmed down enough to say everything was fine and we were just horsing around, but he was ready to cart me off and arrest me. 

And no, it never dawned on me how I would look going into the movies with make up on. I didn't rally care because it was a silly fun thing to do. Well, most of it was.

Coming up, this solo Car would do anything to hold on to you.   

#95 - RIC OCASEK - Emotion In Motion (#15 - 11/15/1986 - 19 weeks)
The front man of The Cars, who were inducted in the RNR HOF last year. The Cars compiled a dozen Top 40 songs. Ocasek had a couple of other minor solo hits in Something To Grab For and True To You. His last solo album came out in 2005. The Cars reformed (without Benjamin Orr who had past away) for an album and tour in 2011.

Forty something Ocasek met 18-year old model Paulina Proizkoba in filming The Cars' 1984 video Drive. The two stayed together for 33 years. Despite knowing that rock stars are big draws to attractive women, I never became a rock star.

On deck, an instrumental from a brat pack movie.

#95 - RIC OCASEK - Emotion In Motion (#15 - 11/15/1986)
The front man of The Cars, who were inducted in the RNR HOF last year. The Cars compiled a dozen Top 40 songs. Ocasek had a couple of other minor solo hits in Something To Grab For and True To You. His last solo album came out in 2005. The Cars reformed (without Benjamin Orr who had past away) for an album and tour in 2011.

Forty something Ocasek met 18-year old model Paulina Proizkoba in filming The Cars' 1984 video Drive. The two stayed together for 33 years. Despite knowing that rock stars are big draws to attractive women, I never became a rock star.

On deck, an instrumental from a brat pack movie.
Huh. I would have thought that "Rockaway" made the charts, but I guess new wave classic rock was dead by then.

#94 - DAVID FOSTER - Love Theme From St. Elmo's Fire (#15 - 11/16/1985 - 22 weeks)
Definitely remember the song but it sounds pretty dated. Foster recorded for 10-12 years in the mid 80's and 90's but is much better known as a composer and producer, earning 16 Grammy Awards from 47 nominations. He's written three #1 chart topping songs and has worked with a diverse array of entertainers including Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Chicago, Kenny Rogers, Bryan Adams, Celine Dion, Rob Stewart, Madonna, and many others. The work he has been a part of has gone on to sell over 500 million records.

I don't ever remember watching the film, so I don't know much more about it other than it's a coming of age movie with the gang from the 80's . . . Emilio Estevez, Rob Lowe, Andrew McCarthy, Judd Nelson, Demi Moore, Ally Sheedy, and Andie McDowell.

Up next, a band with no vowels in its name.

#94 - DAVID FOSTER - Love Theme From St. Elmo's Fire (#15 - 11/16/1985 - 22 weeks)
Definitely remember the song but it sounds pretty dated. Foster recorded for 10-12 years in the mid 80's and 90's but is much better known as a composer and producer, earning 16 Grammy Awards from 47 nominations. He's written three #1 chart topping songs and has worked with a diverse array of entertainers including Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Chicago, Kenny Rogers, Bryan Adams, Celine Dion, Rob Stewart, Madonna, and many others. The work he has been a part of has gone on to sell over 500 million records.

I don't ever remember watching the film, so I don't know much more about it other than it's a coming of age movie with the gang from the 80's . . . Emilio Estevez, Rob Lowe, Andrew McCarthy, Judd Nelson, Demi Moore, Ally Sheedy, and Andie McDowell.

Always liked the theme and the movie itself. Didn't know it charted though, especially as high as #15. Thought only John Parr's "St. Elmo's Fire (Man In Motion)" - not a OHW - was the only hit from the soundtrack. 

Always liked the theme and the movie itself. Didn't know it charted though, especially as high as #15. Thought only John Parr's "St. Elmo's Fire (Man In Motion)" - not a OHW - was the only hit from the soundtrack. 
One of the 3 number one songs co-written by David Foster. The other two were Chicago's Hard To Say I'm Sorry and Peter Cetera's The Glory of Love. Also produced Whitney Houston's smash I Will Always Love You, which spent 14 weeks at #1.

Not getting a lot of traction lately, so on to the next song . . .

#93 - GTR - When The Heart Rules The Mind (#14 - 7/12/1986 - 16 weeks)
An attempt at a super group comprised of Steve Howe (Yes and Asia), Steve Hackett (Genesis), drummer Jonathan Mover (Marillion, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Alice Cooper), bass guitarist Phil Spalding (Bernie Tormé, Toyah, Mike Oldfield, Original Mirrors) and singer Max Bacon (Moby ****, Nightwing , Bronz). The intent was to have a blended guitar sound of progressive and album oriented rock.

GTR put out one album that produced this song and one other minor hit (The Hunter). The band embarked on a brief tour. I remember them putting on a really good show performing 30+ songs including acoustic and electric sets including covers of songs from their earlier bands. Egos, bad blood, and financial issues popped up and they called it a day rather quickly.

The band wasn't big enough to have both Howe and Hackett, so Howe approached Brian May of Queen about replacing either himself or Howe. They apparently recorded several tracks including Cassandra and Slot Machine, which remained under wraps for almost 15 years before appearing on Hackett's Feedback 86 album that was released in 2000. May was interested in doing more with Hackett and perhaps joining a reconstituted version of GTR, but apparently there were legal and contractual issues that bogged things down. May pressed on with Queen and the project went no further. Hack went back to his solo career.

Next stop, a cover of a 60's song that appeared in the film Rain Man.

GTR suffered from having nobodies on bass, drums, and (most importantly) vocals.

I didn't know about the Brian May tracks, though. Hackett/Howe/May should have just recorded an album together.

GTR suffered from having nobodies on bass, drums, and (most importantly) vocals.

I didn't know about the Brian May tracks, though. Hackett/Howe/May should have just recorded an album together.
Steve did not take of himself. 

now there's a guy who just said, "#### it."  

...dude, drop a couple racks and see an orthodontist.  

ETA:  GTR was just a worse version of Asia

#92 - THE BELLE STARS - Iko Iko (#14 - 5/13/1989 - 18 weeks)
Compared to most artists at the time, The Belle Stars had more of a current day plan to release music than the traditional album release with singles to promote the album. The group released their one album in 1983. But they released singles in 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1986, and 1989. Sign Of The Times is said to be their signature song, but I can't say I remember it all that well. Another band that the band members don't merit a link to a page, so not a lot to discuss.

Once again, we have a so so cover that got airplay due to the popularity of a Hollywood movie. The Grateful Dead's version of Iko Iko was way better.

Up next, a pretty boy actor's first single hits it big on the Top 40 chart. And it's another mediocre cover, if anyone wants to Hazzard a guess.

.Up next, a pretty boy actor's first single hits it big on the Top 40 chart. And it's another mediocre cover, if anyone wants to Hazzard a guess.
If you hadn’t thrown the last couple of words in there, I’d’ve guessed Michael Damian’s (mediocre) cover of “Rock On”.

Michael Damian hit number 1 with that song ...  :o

... and he’s not even a OHW because he somehow had two other top-40s from that album.  :shock:

Darn, I was hoping to see XTC here.

#91 - JOHN SCHNEIDER - It's Now Or Never (#14 - 8/15/1981 - 19 weeks)
Schneider had already played Bo Duke on The Dukes Of Hazzard for 3 or 4 years before he set out on a recording career (and then later became a triple threat with a film career). He went on to top the Country chart 4 times. But his version of Elvis' just seems SOOOOOOO vanilla. His Wikipedia page claims that his version "remains the top charting Elvis cover of all time in any genre to date." That sounds great until I looked up Don't Be Cruel by Cheap Trick, which hit #4 on the Hot 100 . . . so I call shenanigans. It's bad enough I have to waste time trying to fill material on bad musicians, now I have to come up with fluff on bad actors? Sorry . . . can't do it.

Moving on, our next group is a British new wave band that hit the charts with some Animal Magic from their second album if you can dig it.

Schneider had already played Bo Duke on The Dukes Of Hazzard for 3 or 4 years before he set out on a recording career (and then later became a triple threat with a film career). He went on to top the Country chart 4 times. But his version of Elvis' just seems SOOOOOOO vanilla. His Wikipedia page claims that his version "remains the top charting Elvis cover of all time in any genre to date." That sounds great until I looked up Don't Be Cruel by Cheap Trick, which hit #4 on the Hot 100 . . . so I call shenanigans. It's bad enough I have to waste time trying to fill material on bad musicians, now I have to come up with fluff on bad actors? Sorry . . . can't do it.

Moving on, our next group is a British new wave band that hit the charts with some Animal Magic from their second album if you can dig it.
omg that is bad.  

UB40 hit #1 with "Can't Help Falling In Love".

BTW, if you can stomach a little more of John Schneider covering Elvis....here he is with a stab at "Are You Lonesome Tonight"

#90 - THE BLOW MONKEYS - Digging Your Scene (#14 - 8/2/1986 - 19 weeks)
I was just going to go to bed but couldn't get It's Now Or Never out of my head. The Blow Monkeys aren't appreciably better but they are light years better than that Elvis cover.

Fronted by a guy named Dr. Robert (perhaps he was a Beatles fan), the band put out 5 albums in 6 years and like many other 80's bands, went on an 18 year break before reforming and releasing 5 more records. Dr. Robert put out some albums in the center there but continued to release solo material even after the group got back together. Beyond that, I can attest that Digging My Scene is the only song of theirs in my collection. However, the band released 5 "Best of" Cd's and collections. I never figured out how bands felt that they had enough material to put out multiple greatest hits albums then they had hardly any albums to begin with. Anyway, if anyone has more they feel compelled to pontificate on The Blow Monkeys, feel free to pontificate.

Next on the hit parade, a duet between a woman that had 46 hits on the Country chart in 20 years in the biz paired with a man also known for his chain of roasted chicken restaurants immortalized in a Seinfeld episode.

#90 - THE BLOW MONKEYS - Digging Your Scene (#14 - 8/2/1986 - 19 weeks)
I was just going to go to bed but couldn't get It's Now Or Never out of my head. The Blow Monkeys aren't appreciably better but they are light years better than that Elvis cover.

Fronted by a guy named Dr. Robert (perhaps he was a Beatles fan), the band put out 5 albums in 6 years and like many other 80's bands, went on an 18 year break before reforming and releasing 5 more records. Dr. Robert put out some albums in the center there but continued to release solo material even after the group got back together. Beyond that, I can attest that Digging My Scene is the only song of theirs in my collection. However, the band released 5 "Best of" Cd's and collections. I never figured out how bands felt that they had enough material to put out multiple greatest hits albums then they had hardly any albums to begin with. Anyway, if anyone has more they feel compelled to pontificate on The Blow Monkeys, feel free to pontificate.

Next on the hit parade, a duet between a woman that had 46 hits on the Country chart in 20 years in the biz paired with a man also known for his chain of roasted chicken restaurants immortalized in a Seinfeld episode.
Has to be Kenny and Dolly with a song written by The Bee Gees!

#89 - DOTTIE WEST WITH KENNY ROGERS - What Are We Doin' In Love (#14 - 6/27/1981 - 20 weeks)
Compared to some of the other recent tracks, this one seems HOF worthy. Both performers were long standing, well respected country performers. West was only able to land 4 cross over songs on the Hot 100 chart, the other three of which fell short of the Top 40. I enjoyed a few of Kenny's tunes. Always liked The Gambler.

At least this gives me an excuse to post this Seinfeld clip.

The countdown rolls on with a German new wave / synth-pop performer who is standing there alone and his ship is waiting.

#89 - DOTTIE WEST WITH KENNY ROGERS - What Are We Doin' In Love (#14 - 6/27/1981 - 20 weeks)
Compared to some of the other recent tracks, this one seems HOF worthy. Both performers were long standing, well respected country performers. West was only able to land 4 cross over songs on the Hot 100 chart, the other three of which fell short of the Top 40. I enjoyed a few of Kenny's tunes. Always liked The Gambler.
Yeah, this may be the closest you've come to cheating (you didn't). Dottie West was a HOFer before she sang this.

#88 - PETER SCHILLING - Major Tom (Coming Home) (#14 - 12/24/1983 - 22 Weeks)
No relation to former MLB player Curt Schilling. Peter Schilling appears here as a textbook example of 80's one hit wonderfulness. I still have the (vinyl) album lying around my house somewhere. I linked the longer album version that includes Major Tom, Part II. The album also contains the German version of the song. I had forgotten that the song was featured in a fourth season episode of Breaking Bad as a karaoke song sung by Gale Boetticher. Schilling went on to record 19 albums with very few songs in English.

Fully aware of what was keeping his lights on, Schilling re-recorded the song on multiple occasions including Major Tom 1994Major Tom 2000, and Major Tom 2003. He still performs the song (last I saw he was still performing in 2017.)

While it will be hard to top this song, our next band from Akron, OH ranks just as high on the iconic list of one hit wonders from the 80's. These back-to-back songs may be the best tandem of 80's OWH songs on the entire list.

#87 - DEVO - Whip It (#14 - 11/15/1980 - 25 weeks)
I don't believe this one came up in the other OHW thread. I would be surprised if people say they have never heard this one before.

LeBron's potentially former neighbors and their famous,  funky red hats/helmets. Even though the video for the song had already been produced, it did not appear on the first day of MTV's first day broadcasting.

Known for their quirky, robotic songs, the band put out 8 albums in their initial 12 year run. Like other 80's acts, they took 20 years off and returned for the 80's retro / reunion craze. Their cover of Working In A Coalmine from the film Heavy Metal was their closest thing to a second Top 40 hit, stalling at #43 on the Hot 100 chart.

Singer Gerald Casale went on to become a successful music video director and worked with acts like The Cars,  Rush, A Perfect Circle, Foo Fighters, Soundgarden, , and Silverchair.

Co-founder Mark Mothersbaugh went on to write and produce music for TV,  film, and video games and has had more projects than could be listed here.

Up next, a song written by Bob Geldolf (Boomtown Rats) and Midge Ure (Ultravox), performed by four dozen of their closest friends with music performed by Ure, Phil Collins, John Taylor, and Andy Taylor.

Users who are viewing this thread