What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Root Root Root for the Home Team: POLLS ARE CLOSING (1 Viewer)

Eephus

Footballguy
Inspired by the Cleveland fans in the Rays' thread and the  @Steve Tasker list in the Soccer thread, which team(s) do you actively follow?

Braves    ---    bigmarc27                                        
Marlins    ---                                            
Mets    ---                                            
Phillies    ---    E-Z Glider        Insein                                
Nationals    ---    Dr. Detroit                                        

Cubs    ---    Kraft        Wrigley        Encyclopedia Brown        Spartans Rule        Hagmania        
Reds    ---    Fat Drunk & Stupid        Caesar        Rustoleum        heckman        cheese        
Brewers    ---    Eephus        Snoopy                                
Pirates    ---    Fred_1_15301                                        
Cardinals    ---    RnR                                        

Diamondbacks    ---                                            
Rockies    ---                                            
Dodgers    ---    DA RAIDERS        Cowboysfan8                                
Padres    ---                                            
Giants    ---    Eephus        Dickies                                

Orioles    ---    Uruk-Hai                                        
Red Sox    ---    Kraft        wikkidpissah        DA RAIDERS        HellToupee                
Yankees    ---                                            
Rays    ---    Fat Drunk & Stupid                                        
Blue Jays    ---    Northern Voice                                        

White Sox    ---                                            
Indians    ---    MAC_32                                        
Tigers    ---    Leroy Hoard        MAC_32        Spartans Rule        Hagmania        Dr. Detroit        2Young2BBald
Royals    ---    Gally                                        
Twins    ---    Gopher State                                        

Astros    ---                                            
Angels    ---    Gally                                        
Athletics    ---    Insein                                        
Mariners    ---                                            
Rangers    ---    scoobus        Bogart        General Malaise                        

Last edited by a moderator:
Main squeeze:  Giants.  I've been following the locals through thick and thin since the early 80s

Old crush:  Brewers.  I grew up with them and am still hoping to celebrate a World Championship in my lifetime.  I wish they were still in the AL but I didn't get a vote.

Allegiance is to the Red Sox threw thick and thin

Follow the Cubs, mainly because I was a big Andre Dawson fan growing up. I was particularly influenced by his MVP season in 87, plus there are no more Expos. 

The Swawks aah thee only spwats francheyes with whose prawspex my haaaaht has risen & fallen my entiyah frikkin life.

Tigers - but living in Cleveland, married to an indians fan, and no longer subscribing to anything mlb I am probably more in tune with them now that the Tigers are irrelevant. 

Cubs.

The first season I can recall was 1977 with Rick Reuschel (and his brother Paul), and Manny Trillo and Bobby Murcer, and Tarzan Joe Wallis. 

They were in first place at the end of June, and then just wilted.

Tigers are my team.

I live in an area that’s pretty evenly split between Chicago and Detroit fans, and while the Chicago teams are usually hated rivals, the Cubs played in the NL and were the lovable losers so I developed a soft spot for them.

Grew up as an Angels fan because of Rod Carew.  Loved the way he hit. 

I added a mistress in the Royals due to having a player I coached in high school on the team.  Tough not to root for them when you know someone personally on the team.

Red Sox.  Dad was born in Boston.  I was not given any other options. I cried for him in 04. He would have been 64. I grew up in LA, so have have always been aware and had an affinity for the dodgers. Last year was not confusing for me. Sox all the way. 

Born and raised in Dallas, so Rangers fan by birth.  But 23 years away - years that saw me pick up gambling first, then fantasy baseball not long after - has stripped me of my fandom some.  I don't follow them any more than I follow all of MLB as a matter of course.  When I first moved away, my dad would mail me the Sunday sports page from the Dallas Morning News (one nation's very best) so I could stay in touch.  This was right before teh innnernet took off.  

Rooted for them in the World Series but wasn't crushed when they lost like I would have been 20 years ago.  Cool to see them make it, but I'm used to failure.

I absolutely loathe the Seattle Mariners, even though that's our regional team.  I actively root for their demise and take great delight in their late season failures.  They do have a nice ballpark, though and I do get up there once a summer to soak in a game.  

The second the Rays move to Portland, I will abandon all allegiance to Texas and be #1 fan of Portland BB.

Orioles fan

Mistress would be whenever DC has a team. The first game I actually attended was a Senators game at RFK in the late '60s

Rangers fan and Rangers fan only. From Charlie Hough and Scott Fletcher and watching games in a revamped minor league park to today.

Tried dating the Rockies when they were created, but just doesn't feel right to root for more than one team. But that is just me.

Phils through thin and thinner. I've gone to games where the Vet had 6000 people in it. We'd run laps around the top bowl. 2008 was one of the greatest years in my lifetime.

My AL team was always the A's though. Being they were once from Philly. My grandpop would tell me stories about knowing where they all lived on the same street near Connie Mack stadium. I got him a Philadelphia A's hat for his 90th birthday and the smile he had was fantastic. He passed away later that year.

Rangers fan and Rangers fan only. From Charlie Hough and Scott Fletcher and watching games in a revamped minor league park to today.

Tried dating the Rockies when they were created, but just doesn't feel right to root for more than one team. But that is just me.
Why on earth did they need a new ballpark?  I don't get that one.

The new park will have a retractable roof which I guess is a big deal during Texas summer heat.  I still wouldn't have voted to increase my sales tax to help finance the damn thing.

Quickest answer: They don't.

Quick answer: July and August. Triple digit temps even during night games.

Slow answer: They never got the downtown area they wanted with The Temple, even when JerryWorld went in. Now the new park is closer to JerryWorld, closer to the river there and has the huge Texas Live! entertainment complex built in between. And it keeps the Rangers in Arlington until 2053. So Arlington sticks it to Dallas one more time.

Slow answer: They never got the downtown area they wanted with The Temple, even when JerryWorld went in. Now the new park is closer to JerryWorld, closer to the river there and has the huge Texas Live! entertainment complex built in between. And it keeps the Rangers in Arlington until 2053. So Arlington sticks it to Dallas one more time.
They've come a long way from Arlington Stadium. 

Bogart said:

Yeah, the heat is too much.  I remember sneaking beers into Arlington Stadium and trying to gulp them down before they became too hot to consume.  Also enjoyed the 7:35 start time as if that was going to help. :lmao:

So now what happens to the Ballpark in Arlington?  I thought that was pretty cool when it opened.  But yeah, anything was better than the old stadium. What a pit.

Cubs since I was old enough to sit through a game. Also follow the Tigers because the entire side of my dad's family roots for them.

Living in Portland, the town is abuzz with talk about Portland Baseball and as much as I would love to buy in, I'm skeptical.  It was bandied about before in the early aughts when the Expos were looking for a new home, but when they landed in Washington, the dream here kind of died.  But new funding, great ownership group, plans for a new stadium with all sorts of development the city desperately needs and this time it feels....different.  And with Oakland and Tampa needing new parks and perhaps new home cities (potentially) I think it might just happen in my lifetime (assuming these kids don't put me 6 feet under too soon).  

So curious what you outsiders think about baseball to Portland.  Does it even touch your radar screen?  Is it ever something that's talked about outside of this state?  I would imagine die hard baseball guys who are well read are in the know, but my curiosity extends to perhaps the casual fan who might post in here.  Would love others' thoughts on the matter and didn't feel like starting a new thread. 

TIA, will answer yours.  And as always, to the extent Portland ever does get MLB, beers on GM if you come here to escape your heat and catch a game.  :thumbup:

I wouldn't want to see Portland's gain be Oakland's loss.

I doubt there will be any traction on expansion until after the next CBA.

Tampa is the 11th biggest market and Portland is like in the 40s. The Rays ratings are excellent annually. I just can’t see them moving to a substantially smaller market unless there is just nowhere to go with the stadium here. I guess that’s possible but I think they’ll figure it out. 

Anyways I’m a Yankees fan 

Tampa is the 11th biggest market and Portland is like in the 40s. The Rays ratings are excellent annually. I just can’t see them moving to a substantially smaller market unless there is just nowhere to go with the stadium here. I guess that’s possible but I think they’ll figure it out. 

Anyways I’m a Yankees fan 
Does market size matter as much in baseball? It seems like MLB has settled in as a fairly regional sport, it's not like the Rays are on Sunday Night Baseball or generating loads of national shared MLB revenue. 

I don't know the answer, it just seems to me like market size would be a bit less relevant in this situation.

Phils through thin and thinner. I've gone to games where the Vet had 6000 people in it. We'd run laps around the top bowl. 2008 was one of the greatest years in my lifetime.

My AL team was always the A's though. Being they were once from Philly. 
basically same.

Users who are viewing this thread