Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AcerFC

2019 NHL Playoff Thread: , Let’s shut this one down. Rangers making moves and draft on Friday. Bring it to offseason thread bromigos

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Aaron Rudnicki said:

they still had the interim tag?

I guess not. Fair point ... different question than a coach who won the Cup after taking over midseason. That being the case, Scotty Bowman ('92) should be there as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

As a longtime Blues fan, it is still hard to believe that this team that was dead in the water 4 1/2 months ago is now going to be playing for the Cup. Wow.

I would probably be rooting for you guys against 29 other teams in the league. Still remember fondly watching Blues prospects playing for the Worcester IceCats in the ‘90s. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gonna have to acquire a Blues jersey to tuck for the next two weeks.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Aaron Rudnicki said:

has an interim coach ever won the Cup?

Larry Robinson was interim with New Jersey when they won in 2000.  took over in late March.  Lou liked the fire guys before playoffs shtick.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Getzlaf15 said:

Blues vs Bruins SCF means we get to see Bobby Orr goal like 162 times.

I pick the over

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bill Brasky said:

Gloria 

 

12 hours ago, Getzlaf15 said:

fat lady enters the building

Maybe that is the reason for that song......although I never pictured Gloria as fat in that song......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

As a longtime Blues fan, it is still hard to believe that this team that was dead in the water 4 1/2 months ago is now going to be playing for the Cup. Wow.

Similar to what the Kings did in 2012.  Mid season coaching change and got in late as the 8 seed.  Then proceeded to mow through the playoffs.  It's quite a ride and enjoy every minute of it.  If you can swing it, try and get tickets to at least one game.  It will be worth whatever the cost......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Similar teams, the Blues and Bs.  Except the Bs are better at each facet of the game.  

 

The long layoff worries me a bit...unclear how much of that is myth and how much reality.  

 

Anyone going to the Bs intra-team scrimmage at the Garden tomorrow?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By pure luck, I'm going to be in The Lou at the time Game 6 would take place.

Right now it would be cheaper to go to a game in Boston.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

By pure luck, I'm going to be in The Lou at the time Game 6 would take place.

Right now it would be cheaper to go to a game in Boston.  

You'll make up that cost on NFL opening weekend...

  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Doctor Detroit said:

Gonna have to acquire a Blues jersey to tuck for the next two weeks.

I like their chances in game one. 11 days off is bad unless it's football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leroy Hoard said:

I like their chances in game one. 11 days off is bad unless it's football.

11 days until ChowderRefChatTM returns

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bruins -150 for the series

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shamelessly stolen:

If I were to write a movie about a hockey team:

-I'd begin with a team that has never won Stanley Cup  and hasn't been to the finals in nearly 50 years.
-I'd put that team in last place in the NHL halfway through the season.
-I'd fire the coach and bring in a guy that very few people know.
-I'd promote a rookie goalie... who would miraculously get hot... and lead the team to the playoffs.
-I'd have one playoff series go to 7 games and win it in double-overtime.
-I'd have the refs steal another game in overtime (by an obvious penalty that wasn't called.)
-After that "hand pass", I'd have my team outscore the competition 12-2.
-I'd have one of the hottest Hollywood stars as their biggest fan and even talk about the team on Jimmy Kimmel.
-I'd also write a story line about how the other professional sports team in town  (who everyone loves) starts showing up at games to cheer.
-During one playoff game, I'd write in a tornado that cancelled the baseball game so the entire city could focus on the clinching game of the Western Conference Finals.
-Then I'd have them play the team that beat them 49 years ago, from Boston no less.
-And just for kicks, I'd include a little girl battling cancer who is befriended by the team.  She would survive and go on to be at the playoff games.

But who would believe all that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very few people know Berube? That’s a stretch since he had a 17-year career as an NHL player. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1st Period-1, Chicago, McGinn 5 (Hyka, Glass), 1:35.
2, San Diego, Tropp 4 (Street, Murphy), 4:56.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No mention of Gloria in that biopic? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gianmarco said:

I'd have the refs steal another game in overtime (by an obvious penalty that wasn't called.)

What penalty?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Gally said:

Similar to what the Kings did in 2012.  Mid season coaching change and got in late as the 8 seed.  Then proceeded to mow through the playoffs.  It's quite a ride and enjoy every minute of it.  If you can swing it, try and get tickets to at least one game.  It will be worth whatever the cost......

Kings/Canucks in 2012 was one of my favorite series in recent memory not involving my team. It only went five games, but the quality of hockey in that series was incredible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3rd Period-5, Chicago, McKenzie 6 (Hague, Tynan), 16:30.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chicago Wolves 2 at San Diego Gulls 3 - Status:  Final

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gulls crushed it tonight. The refs sucked. That 5min major was bull####. But it couldn't stop Our Gulls from overcoming. They were the better team from galss to glass. Hope they can keep this up! San Diego could use a championship! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Sebowski said:

Gulls crushed it tonight. The refs sucked. That 5min major was bull####. But it couldn't stop Our Gulls from overcoming. They were the better team from galss to glass. Hope they can keep this up! San Diego could use a championship! 

Machado down? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Shamelessly stolen:

If I were to write a movie about a hockey team:
-I'd have one playoff series go to 7 games and win it in double-overtime.

But who would believe all that?

I'd have the winning goal in that Double OT game scored by a hometown kid who always dreamed of playing for the team one day.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The_Man said:

I'd have the winning goal in that Double OT game scored by a hometown kid who always dreamed of playing for the team one day.

What a Maroon! What a nincowpoop!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Getzlaf15 said:

Chicago Wolves 2 at San Diego Gulls 3 - Status:  Final

Gulls are tough.  Steel and Comtois both with a point per game in the playoffs as rookies.  Canada probably still being a #### to Comtois.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Inspiration said:

Kings/Canucks in 2012 was one of my favorite series in recent memory not involving my team. It only went five games, but the quality of hockey in that series was incredible. 

Brown's hit on Sedin at the bench woke up the Kings and made them believe.  That playoff stretch may have been the best hockey I have ever watched over a prolonged stretch.  Going up 3-0 in every single series for the entire playoffs was crazy coming out of the 8th seed and left no doubt in any series.  They dominated the playoffs. There were games where the forecheck was so strong the other team couldn't even get out of their own end to pull the goalie as the game wound down.  Just incredible to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Shamelessly stolen:

If I were to write a movie about a hockey team:

-I'd begin with a team that has never won Stanley Cup  and hasn't been to the finals in nearly 50 years.
-I'd put that team in last place in the NHL halfway through the season.
-I'd fire the coach and bring in a guy that very few people know.
-I'd promote a rookie goalie... who would miraculously get hot... and lead the team to the playoffs.
-I'd have one playoff series go to 7 games and win it in double-overtime.
-I'd have the refs steal another game in overtime (by an obvious penalty that wasn't called.)
-After that "hand pass", I'd have my team outscore the competition 12-2.
-I'd have one of the hottest Hollywood stars as their biggest fan and even talk about the team on Jimmy Kimmel.
-I'd also write a story line about how the other professional sports team in town  (who everyone loves) starts showing up at games to cheer.
-During one playoff game, I'd write in a tornado that cancelled the baseball game so the entire city could focus on the clinching game of the Western Conference Finals.
-Then I'd have them play the team that beat them 49 years ago, from Boston no less.
-And just for kicks, I'd include a little girl battling cancer who is befriended by the team.  She would survive and go on to be at the playoff games.

But who would believe all that?

I'd include a 2am team trip to Sauget, 'cause your movie doesn't sound like it has any boobs in it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, rockaction said:

Machado down? 

Let's get them in the playoffs first, guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, AcerFC said:

Oh Dear God. Unless you're running hoops at the Y in Long Island, that's a disaster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, wilked said:

Is this shtick?

That didnt answer the question

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wild talking to Pens about Kessel?

From The Athletic (Josh Yohe)-

However, numerous sources confirmed that Kessel is unsure if he wants to play in Minnesota. He did research on Minnesota and the Wild during the past week, the sources said. Kessel is very close friends with Ryan Suter. Both are natives of Madison, Wisconsin, and played internationally together for Team USA.

It is believed Jason Zucker, the speedy Wild forward who scored 76 goals the past three seasons, would be part of the deal. Minnesota made it clear to other franchises that Zucker, 27, is available.

The Penguins and Wild also discussed a couple of players with long-term contracts in Jack Johnson and Victor Rask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

Wild talking to Pens about Kessel?

From The Athletic (Josh Yohe)-

However, numerous sources confirmed that Kessel is unsure if he wants to play in Minnesota. He did research on Minnesota and the Wild during the past week, the sources said. Kessel is very close friends with Ryan Suter. Both are natives of Madison, Wisconsin, and played internationally together for Team USA.

It is believed Jason Zucker, the speedy Wild forward who scored 76 goals the past three seasons, would be part of the deal. Minnesota made it clear to other franchises that Zucker, 27, is available.

The Penguins and Wild also discussed a couple of players with long-term contracts in Jack Johnson and Victor Rask.

If the Pens aren't in the playoffs, the Pittsburgh media go off on trying to trade either 81 or Malkin.  :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Canada scores with .4 left in the 3rd to tie it and then Stone scores winner in OT. Almost lost for a second straight year to the Swiss. 

Some serious puck luck on the tieing goal

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Tom Servo said:

If the Pens aren't in the playoffs, the Pittsburgh media go off on trying to trade either 81 or Malkin.  :rolleyes:

Except the MN press are saying the same thing

@RussoHockey: Penguins, #mnwild in trade talks surrounding Phil Kessel.  

@JoshYohe_PGH has confirmed what I reported Tuesday about potential Jason Zucker-Victor Rask for Kessel-Jack Johnson swap. Lots of details in this story + other possible landing spots for Zucker

https://theathletic.com/992102/2019/05/23/penguins-wild-in-trade-talks-revolving-around-phil-kessel/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funniest part of that rumor is the bad contract for bad contract swap. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, falguy said:

Canada scores with .4 left in the 3rd to tie it and then Stone scores winner in OT. Almost lost for a second straight year to the Swiss. 

Some serious puck luck on the tieing goal

 

beat Slovakia on a last second goal too during pool play.  I didn't watch this but it sounds like the Suisse played them very hard, which is not surprising.  last year's Canada team was better but so were the Suisse who had pretty much the same team plus Timo Meier.

pretty disappointing tournament for the US.  not losing to Russia who is clearly the best team IMO and gave them a decent game.  but laying an egg against Canada with the shot to win group A and then putting themselves in the position to lose to the best team in the quarters with the best team they've ever sent over.  maybe one day they'll actually win this thing (in modern times).

Edited by Bill Brasky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.