What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official - Dan Lambskins Top 30 Songs: Girls Names *** (1 Viewer)

Dan Lambskin

Footballguy
Apologies to Tim for kicking this off while his Top 100 OHW countdown is winding up, but it’s a slow afternoon so figured I’d kick this off

a few disclaimers 

1. The Song title must be a girls name only.   So My Michelle, Last Dance With Mary Jane, etc.  are all out

2. Must be a first name only.  Sorry Beatles nerds but Elenor Rigby won’t be appearing. Combo names are allowed at my discretion (i.e. Betty Lou)

3. It must be a legitimate girls name.  Unisex names are OK, but not obscure ones.  So don’t expect Daniel because you knew one girl in your life named Daniel

4. I’m far from a FBG music elite.  I’m not that hip.  A majority of these songs are pretty mainstream.  All of these songs are probably 25+ years old.  So don’t expect to see Taylee by Fudge Rudder on here

5.  There will be glaring omissions.  I’m sure you think [insert song] is great, and despite it being by [popular artist] I’ve never heard it or just don’t like it

6. I have not vetted all the YouTube links.  Sorry if there is a better version out there

7. There may be little to no commentary behind some of these choices, but I will try to post something behind it

Enjoy

How about songs by female singers that have androgynous name titles.   Are we really sure they are singing about a guy?   

An example would be Jackie by Blue Zone (Lisa Stansfield).  

Edit: Mickey by Toni Basil would be another more well known one.

Last edited by a moderator:
29. Gloria - Laura Branigan

im sure there were some other fine choices for songs named Gloria, but this one is by far the most fun and appears in all kinds of movies and pop culture.  Apparently the St Louis Blues are even using it as a victory song 

Fun Fact: despite hearing the song numerous times I had absolutely no idea who Laura Branigan was until I started this list 

28. Lucille - Kenny Rogers

“you picked a fine time to leave me Lucille...”

i think the first tome I ever heard this song was at a Howl at the Moon piano bar in Orlando, but the chorus was usually followed by some misogynistic expletives

anyway I’m not a big fan of modern country, but I enjoy classic country, and yes there will be more of it

also props to Kenny for that sweet beard in the video.

27. Sherry - Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons

Not my favorite but it hit #1 and I figured it deserved to be included.  Your mom and/or grandma probably like this song
I was 9 years old in 1962 and the girl next door named Sherry won the local beauty contest to qualify for the Miss Pennsylvania contest. Of course, preparing for such contests included considerable amounts of working on her tan in a bikini. I can't hear this song without thinking of those days.

Last edited by a moderator:
23. Adia - Sarah McLachlan

despite never meeting anyone named Adia I’m still going to go with it.  Sarah has a beautiful voice, but it’s so hard to not think of that dead dogs commercial whenever I hear her.

Took my wife to one of her concerts once, floor seats, nice production values.  Also got to see lots of girl on girl affection during the slower songs

22. Mandy - Barry Manilow

I always think of Carlton singing this on The Fresh Prince.  I’d post the link but figure there’s an off chance he might try to sue me for profiting off his likeness

i also had a cat named Mandy growing up (real #####)

also knew a neighbor girl named Mandy in Middle School (real #####).  She lived with her grandma and had a sweet inground pool with a water slide and would occasionally steal us a few of her grandmas Carlings Black Labels.  Hooked up with one of my buddies too.  If I had to guess she’s sporting the Karen haircut these days 

I always think of Carlton singing this on The Fresh Prince.  I’d post the link but figure there’s an off chance he might try to sue me for profiting off his likeness

also knew a neighbor girl named Mandy in Middle School (real #####).  She lived with her grandma and had a sweet inground pool with a water slide and would occasionally steal us a few of her grandmas Carlings Black Labels.  Hooked up with one of my buddies too.  If I had to guess she’s sporting the Karen haircut these days 
Oh man-----such good memories attached to this!

When I was young - b4 grammar school - two of my best friends were sisters - both older than me.

Well, it was summer, and we were outside playing. There was an old Mickey Mouse turntable on their back porch. We would take turns playing our favorite records and performing to them.

1st up: Older Sis. She was a Chicago-head - did some funky dancin' to something like this - while in her mom's fancies.

2nd up: Younger Sis. She was a Manilow-maniac - sat down all romantic like and sang Mandy to her stuffed pony - really cute.

3rd up: Me. I was a KISS-Army-man. I jumped outta the bushes - made up like Gene Simmons - usin' a beat up tennis racket as my bass - and took a (fake) bite outta one of their stuffed toys. Then, bit down on a left-over Halloween prop - and started spittin' blood across the back yard.

I did NOT win the contest that day.

☹️

Randy Moss’ Raiders years malaise was so long ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J7ipVezSEk

29. Gloria - Laura Branigan

im sure there were some other fine choices for songs named Gloria, but this one is by far the most fun and appears in all kinds of movies and pop culture.  Apparently the St Louis Blues are even using it as a victory song 

Fun Fact: despite hearing the song numerous times I had absolutely no idea who Laura Branigan was until I started this list 
This song epitomizes going to the roller rink when I was a kid.  It was in heavy rotation.

Users who are viewing this thread