What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

San Diego - Weekend Getaway Tips (1 Viewer)

Golden Gopher

Footballguy
First, this is sort of last-minute (at least the planning portion), so I don't have a ton of time to weigh options.  Looking to book anything that needs booking probably no later than tomorrow. 

Taking my GF to San Diego this weekend.  I've spent a lot of time in SoCal over the past 15 years, but have only actually lived here for about 20 months (and probably been to San Diego proper like twice).  We live in Ventura County (separately), and the plan is to take the train from Ventura to San Diego, leaving Friday at 1:30 and returning from SD on Sunday (noon departure).  We won't have a ton of time to explore (basically all day Saturday), and I don't want to pack the weekend with a specific itinerary, but I wouldn't mind a few ideas if anybody has something.  I did do a search of the forums, and found a few things from a couple of years back, but nothing more current.  

We will bring snacks/drinks on the train for the way down.  It's about 4.5 hours (get into SD at 7-ish).  We'll uber to our hotel (still need to book), then grab dinner, etc.  I am undecided on whether to make reservations somewhere, or just wing it.  She enjoys exploring and trying new things, so I somewhat want to leave options open, yet don't want the entire weekend to seem unplanned, if that makes sense.

Questions I have.... 

- In terms of Amtrak (Pacific Surfliner), is the San Diego Old Town the best spot to get off, rather than the San Diego (Tiajuana stop).  I know it obviously depends on the hotel we choose, but in general terms, is there one that is much closer to things (hotels, restaurants, things to do, etc.) than the other?  The answer to this question will help me determine where to stay.

- Thinking of doing a hot air balloon ride on Saturday sometime.  Is there a time of day that is better for this?  Late morning versus afternoon, for example?  Or maybe closer to sunset?  Any other feedback on this idea?  She wants to try it, and I've never been either.  Sounds like fun.

- Any great restaurant ideas?  We are both open to trying pretty much anything, BUT she does have a shellfish allergy.  Can't eat shrimp/crab/lobster, but she eats other fish, etc.  Not necessarily looking for fine dining/5-star restaurant (it can be, but doesn't have to).  Just needs to be something unique, in terms of a dining experience.  There is a tequila and tacos tour thing that looked interesting, where you tour like five different places over the course of three hours.  But, I'm not set on that (it just sounds like it might be fun).

- Any other places, activities, etc. that would be considered "must do's" or "must see's" in San Diego?  

- Hotels.... Pretty much the same as restaurants.  Doesn't have to be 4-star, but prefer something nice/clean, obviously.  She likes quaint places (non-chain), but it doesn't have to be.  Probably moreso looking for ideal location (close to lots of stuff) than anything else).  

- Other ideas... couples massage, hiking (or just walk around the city), comedy show, etc.  Pretty open.

That's all I've got.  Thanks in advance to anybody who has something to add.  👍

Why take a train?    Serious question...I am not a California guy.  Nothing screams romantic weekend like Amtrak!  Avoiding traffic around LA?

Life long SD resident....

-Old town stop is definitely the right one

-For dinner go into the Gaslamp district.  That's the heart of downtown and there are tons of great spots to eat and grab a drink.  LOTS of bars and restaurants

-Activates abound so there is no shortage of things to do,  the Zoo is amazing (literally world class) , Balboa park is very cool, if your in a beach mood going over to the hotel Del Coronado is a great idea, Sea World, etc etc

Have fun.  SD is a great city.

Why take a train?    Serious question...I am not a California guy.  Nothing screams romantic weekend like Amtrak!  Avoiding traffic around LA?
Have taken that train ride quite few times.  As it goes down the coast it's very different then a "typical" train ride.   Parts of the ride are flat gorgeous.   

Life long SD resident....

-Old town stop is definitely the right one

-For dinner go into the Gaslamp district.  That's the heart of downtown and there are tons of great spots to eat and grab a drink.  LOTS of bars and restaurants

-Activates abound so there is no shortage of things to do,  the Zoo is amazing (literally world class) , Balboa park is very cool, if your in a beach mood going over to the hotel Del Coronado is a great idea, Sea World, etc etc

Have fun.  SD is a great city.
It is a great zoo, though I prefer the wild animal park a little north

I've rented bikes and taken ferry (Broadway Pier)over to Coronado to ride and hang out over there - very nice.

It's a bit further up north in Escondido but the Stone Brewery restaurant is pretty sweet. They have others now is SD proper - but this was first one- the grounds are awesome to walk around.

Hot air balloons usually go early morning to have warmer air in balloon lift it in cooler air - not sure where to do that at.

I enjoyed Sea World - it's no longer PC but the rides and shows were nice.

Ocean Beach - or OB is great for people watching and shopping - a visit to the Black if you need supplies

If the weather is nice maybe a sailboat ride

Good question.  Multi-part answer.  For one, I took a couple of her closest friends out for drinks a few weeks ago, and it was one of their suggestions, in terms of things she would like.  Secondly, yes, traffic around LA sucks, and quite frankly, I'd rather be sitting on a train (and not having to worry about driving) than staring at somebody's bump/license plate for 4 hours.  It's affordable, relaxing, and you can bring your own food/drinks, etc.  

Have taken that train ride quite few times.  As it goes down the coast it's very different then a "typical" train ride.   Parts of the ride are flat gorgeous.   
Plus there’s a bar!  That ride is great  I love to take the train down to Del Mar for the races  

No boats (we both get sick).  Been to the zoo, and while I loved it (and want to take my kids there at some point), it's not something I'm looking to do on this trip.  

Great suggestions/info so far.  🙂

I live in the elite part of San Diego (and the United States)...North County San Diego.

San Diego proper is for hooligans and the middle class.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread