What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***2019 Kentucky Derby Thread & More*** (1 Viewer)

My question is if there was no jockey's objection would there have been a stewards inquiry? Also, if there was no objection from the 18 (who had a much better case than the 20 who had almost no case) would they have changed the outcome? Seems like the 20 filed a hail mary objection (because he finished 2nd) and in conjunction with the objection from the 18 made the stewards look at everything that happened on the turn. The 18 was right there and checked hard when the 1 backed into him after the 20 veered right. If no objection by 18 do they only look at the what happened between the 7>1>20 and let it go?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not the Derby, but I've seen races where the inquiry sign lights up before any jockey could get to the phone. But those were usually races where there was a spill or other obvious stuff going on. They don't have to wait for the jockeys.

Not the Derby, but I've seen races where the inquiry sign lights up before any jockey could get to the phone. But those were usually races where there was a spill or other obvious stuff going on. They don't have to wait for the jockeys.
For sure. Usually those inquiries go up immediately following a race where a spill happens. I'm just curious if there would have been an inquiry in this race. Anyone know about the timing of objections vs. inquiries? Is it just who buzzes in first?

For sure. Usually those inquiries go up immediately following a race where a spill happens. I'm just curious if there would have been an inquiry in this race. Anyone know about the timing of objections vs. inquiries? Is it just who buzzes in first?
To my experience, the inquiry sign is posted if the stewards call for one, whether or not and in addition to when an objection is made, so no inquiry was called.

Yeah, that's why it never entered the race call nor rated an inquiry. w-w-w-w-WIPEOUT!!
doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.  i saw it and knew it right away there would be an inquiry.  whether or not the stewards would’ve posted without the jocks i don’t know.  we’ve all seen numerous races, so an inquiry here should come as no surprise.  the 1s leg went in between the 7s hind, pretty scary.  it was inches away from a disaster.  just my opinion.

I still haven't seen a replay as I snuck out of the kids birthday party to go to the bar and watch. Came back and got a text from someone that there was an inquiry. 

I just think it sucks that I told little Reese that her party was trash and my kid was going to get a real pony for her birthday. 

Still bummed out about this result. Maximum Security and Tacitus were top my 2 horses and I warmed up to Code of Honor on race day.  I spent way too much time researching this race only to completely miss on one longshot. Congrats to anyone who had #20 on a ticket. 

I’m really torn. Haven’t seen the head on. I will say the far turn is where many Derbies are won and lost. Timing of the move is critical. Maximum Security did come out. Seeing the #1 horses front legs between the 7’s hind legs for several strides was super scary. 10+ horses could have gone down. 

That being said I don’t think any of those horses were catching the 7. He was the best horse. Might have cost one of them a placing (especially the 1) but most of them started backing up anyway. 

I never handicapped the race for an off track as due to a member/guest golf tourney I had to just get bets in early. We watched it in the clubhouse then went back in the course. Didn’t hear of the DQ until hours later. Didn’t know who moved up or down. Wouldn’t have had the 20. Don’t know what happened to Game Winner. 18th early? WTF. Still didn’t miss 2nd by much but my guess is he hated the track. Congrats to any who hit 

I think a lot of people are blinded by the money. I had 7 of the 8 top horses in my Tri and Siuper sans Country House. I lost every which way butt thought the DQ was hustified

Penguin said:
I think a lot of people are blinded by the money. I had 7 of the 8 top horses in my Tri and Siuper sans Country House. I lost every which way butt thought the DQ was hustified
I thought the DQ could go either way. But for sure #20 was not the best horse. That said, he was a better closer than we all thought especially after finishing a distant third in the Arkansas derby to OB and Improbable. He looked hopped up when they were leading him to the gate too. Should have snuck in a last second bet.

parasaurolophus said:
Overturning a call should come with a great deal of certainty. Sorry you believe differently. 
You've watched three races in your life and have promised us this was your last.  You don't know enough to have an opinion.  Let the adults talk.

You've watched three races in your life and have promised us this was your last.  You don't know enough to have an opinion.  Let the adults talk
You aren't seeing anything new after watching it 3-4 times from each angle. So i dont need to be some horse racing expert like you(allegedly), to feel that overturning something should have a high degree of certainty and doesnt take 15 minutes. Ever. In any sport. 

I am sorry you feel differently. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah so sounds like neither will be in the Preakness (but that there probably be a showdown in the Belmont) so we have the crazy situation where the Preakness loses all juice but the Belmont presumably will be super hyped.  2019 man...

-QG

I finally saw the video and I might be bias considering what I had at stake. But I don't think I did anything wrong. It's the kids 5th birthday. They won't remember a thing.

Linda Barrett : Did you hear that horse pulled a knife on Country House? 

Stacy Hamilton : No he didn't. He just called him a ####. 

Linda Barrett : People exaggerate so much around here.

I finally saw the video and I might be bias considering what I had at stake. But I don't think I did anything wrong. It's the kids 5th birthday. They won't remember a thing.
Speaking of that, it would be interesting to see the current reaction if it went the other way. What if the stewards just left things alone?

Speaking of that, it would be interesting to see the current reaction if it went the other way. What if the stewards just left things alone?
An equal amount of people that are now complaining about their decision would be complaining about that decision imo

I saw the replay. I am not an expert but he deserved to be taken down. Those are the breaks.

Does anyone know the right way to apologise to a 5 year old?

I’ve been to the track, so I’ll say that, but I am not educated on this subject. But I did watch the race at a pub and talking to a couple people who are it sounds like a comp would be a winning shot in an NBA finals game 7 which is waved off because of double dribble, or palming or maybe traveling. Yes, it’s on the books, but it’s never called. It bothers people because sports fans just want the sense that the game/match/race is called fairly. Right or wrong it’s the feeling that it’s capricious, arbitrary or subject to manipulation. That just makes people who care about sports sick and it hurts the sport.

Don't remember much epidemiology on the backstretch. I've seen runs of founder or colic, but seen it explained away by bad blacksmiths & vets and we had a bunch of deaths @ Santa Fe Downs from blister beetle (li'l bugs that live in alfalfa - you or i could eat a bowlful without harm, 1 or 2 will kill a 1000 lb aniscule, i lost a broodmare [grandaughter of Secretariat] to em) from deliveries of tainted hay, but horses seem to have immune systems as strong as their hearts.

I’ve been to the track, so I’ll say that, but I am not educated on this subject. But I did watch the race at a pub and talking to a couple people who are it sounds like a comp would be a winning shot in an NBA finals game 7 which is waved off because of double dribble, or palming or maybe traveling. Yes, it’s on the books, but it’s never called. It bothers people because sports fans just want the sense that the game/match/race is called fairly. Right or wrong it’s the feeling that it’s capricious, arbitrary or subject to manipulation. That just makes people who care about sports sick and it hurts the sport.
I was there. I had $50 W/P on 7. It would have been a nice little win after a sea of defeats on and off the track.  I was angry, but in retrospect, I get it.  We move on.  Crap happens.  I'm excited for the Preakness today as I am every 3rd Saturday in May.  Life ain't fair, but we continue to move on. Beats the altetnative....

I was there. I had $50 W/P on 7. It would have been a nice little win after a sea of defeats on and off the track.  I was angry, but in retrospect, I get it.  We move on.  Crap happens.  I'm excited for the Preakness today as I am every 3rd Saturday in May.  Life ain't fair, but we continue to move on. Beats the altetnative....
I also would have done better if they left the winner up but you nailed how we have to look at it. 

Users who are viewing this thread