What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What are your top deliverables by a democratic led government? (1 Viewer)

-Southern Wall

-Yoga Pant threads

-More efficient government

-Weekly BJ and Steak day

-Flying cars

- Education reform.

- Climate Change/Environmental action (land recycling over new development, good faith environmental studies, polluters taking a larger cost burden, new emphasis on cleanup, set environmental standards for resources based on proper science that are harder to change, lots of etc.)

- Reworking our immigration system to be more efficient and helpful to those that need assistance/asylum. No wall, but more border agents, judges and smart technologies.

- End state voter suppression, and establish non-partisan comittees to reset voting districts.

- Create codified standards for our elected officials to follow norms, like releasing tax returns. 

- Universal background checks on guns, no more gun show or private sale loopholes, gun registration, ban on many (I would need more information before I could honestly say “all”) high capacity center-shot sporting rifles (like ar-15s).

- Health Care reform.

- Go further with recent criminal justice reforms, and get more undeserving people (poor, minorities) out of jail. For-profit prisons are awful, imo.

- Put White Nationalists back on the terror watchlist.

- Re-establish news standards, and enforce proper product labeling. News is news, and news-like opinion entertainment is not news.

- Legalize pot.

- Federal holiday the day after the superbowl.

Last edited by a moderator:
The blue team has controlled education for the last 50 years, at least.  What you have is a Democratically built feature, not a bug.
Untrue. Democrats have been aligned with the teachers union but they do not control education. Education is controlled first locally through elected school boards,then at the State level and the color of that depends on the State. Over the last 20 years or so conservative principles have been among the strongest forces in education: choice, charter schools, tests with consequences,  breaking the strength of the unions, etc. 

Ilov80s said:
Untrue. Democrats have been aligned with the teachers union but they do not control education. Education is controlled first locally through elected school boards,then at the State level and the color of that depends on the State. Over the last 20 years or so conservative principles have been among the strongest forces in education: choice, charter schools, tests with consequences,  breaking the strength of the unions, etc. 
Jeb Bush, Rick Scott and now Ron DiSantis have been voices at the state level to privatize public education and take power away from local school boards, especially in big schools district like Miami-Dade. The charter school results have been mixed. Teacher salaries are so low that local voters in Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties voted  in the 2018 election to raise their property taxes to give teaches a raise. How often does that happen?

My daughters went to public schools in Miami from 1995 to 2010, when public  magnet schools were a big thing. They were lucky in the school lotteries and attended some excellent public magnet schools. But some public schools in Miami are bad, mainly due to poor home environments and low expectations.  I would fund more preschool education, starting at age 2. And increase teacher pay; Florida is 45th, with an average of $47,858.

Here's a good read on DiSantis and public education. He's been better than Scott but I don't think charter schools and arming teachers are the answers.

Lol, have to laugh at the thread title, yes a return to democratic government would be nice.
Maybe it's because I used to work as a copy editor, but when I read the title I initially assumed that his use of small-d "democratic" meant he was asking a broader question about what we want to see out of our democracy. If you read my first response in this thread, I start off talking really big picture stuff before shifting halfway through to talk about what I want the Democratic Party to do when it regains power. (By the time I figured it out, I was too lazy to go back and re-word my first paragraph.)

Jeb Bush, Rick Scott and now Ron DiSantis have been voices at the state level to privatize public education and take power away from local school boards, especially in big schools district like Miami-Dade. The charter school results have been mixed. Teacher salaries are so low that local voters in Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties voted  in the 2018 election to raise their property taxes to give teaches a raise. How often does that happen?

My daughters went to public schools in Miami from 1995 to 2010, when public  magnet schools were a big thing. They were lucky in the school lotteries and attended some excellent public magnet schools. But some public schools in Miami are bad, mainly due to poor home environments and low expectations.  I would fund more preschool education, starting at age 2. And increase teacher pay; Florida is 45th, with an average of $47,858.

Here's a good read on DiSantis and public education. He's been better than Scott but I don't think charter schools and arming teachers are the answers.
I’m a teacher in Michigan which is the only State with a bigger charter school problem than Florida so I’m right there with you. 

Users who are viewing this thread