What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2019 Masters Thread*** (1 Viewer)

He said it would be because of the wind. Molinari just hit two bad shots that did him in. One of them in a spot notorious for exposing nerves and derailing hopes on Sundays.
And Woods wasn't as affected by the wind? Or the wind didn't blow as much as expected?

Sorry, I admit I didn't watch any of it.

Obviously, great call on Molinari. Did you think it was going to be because of the win? Was that how it worked out? Why not for Woods?
My angle was that the media was underselling the effects of the weather this morning because they had to focus on the Tiger angle (Which worked out 100% for them).  They couldn't risk TV time on the weather angle if it didn't pan out so they went with the fluff for the general public, so they ignored it to draw in viewers.

Augusta is as old school as anything on this planet, for them to break tradition both move up the tee times as well as break the field up into threesomes and start half of them on the back 9.  That's breaking tradition three different ways and they had to privately be expecting much worse conditions.  

Statistically Molinari and Tiger were both ranked in the bottom 12 of PGA when it came to how wind conditions negatively affected their strokes gained against the field numbers.  Molinari's ball flight in particular is high and that's exactly what was getting him into trouble.  The pines would protect it only so high and then the wall of wind was knocking the ball down.

That's exactly what happened to his ball on 12 when he found the water.  There wasn't anything wrong with Finau's swing either, just hit it too high and ball came straight down.  Towards the end of the coverage the flags on 16 and 18 were both spinning around the pole in the wind.

The winds did break briefly right after that when birdies and Eagles started scoring all over.  Even with the rain all week, I would have thought that the fans under the greens would have been able to dry them out better for today.  If we would have had any more bounce at all, Tiger would have had to labor a lot harder for the wind.  

No regrets on my part.  Watching Tiger win one for history was more important to me than cashing a bet.

My angle was that the media was underselling the effects of the weather this morning because they had to focus on the Tiger angle (Which worked out 100% for them).  They couldn't risk TV time on the weather angle if it didn't pan out so they went with the fluff for the general public, so they ignored it to draw in viewers.

Augusta is as old school as anything on this planet, for them to break tradition both move up the tee times as well as break the field up into threesomes and start half of them on the back 9.  That's breaking tradition three different ways and they had to privately be expecting much worse conditions.  

Statistically Molinari and Tiger were both ranked in the bottom 12 of PGA when it came to how wind conditions negatively affected their strokes gained against the field numbers.  Molinari's ball flight in particular is high and that's exactly what was getting him into trouble.  The pines would protect it only so high and then the wall of wind was knocking the ball down.

That's exactly what happened to his ball on 12 when he found the water.  There wasn't anything wrong with Finau's swing either, just hit it too high and ball came straight down.  Towards the end of the coverage the flags on 16 and 18 were both spinning around the pole in the wind.

The winds did break briefly right after that when birdies and Eagles started scoring all over.  Even with the rain all week, I would have thought that the fans under the greens would have been able to dry them out better for today.  If we would have had any more bounce at all, Tiger would have had to labor a lot harder for the wind.  

No regrets on my part.  Watching Tiger win one for history was more important to me than cashing a bet.
Didn't he hit the tree on 12? The whole pinecone talk.

And Woods wasn't as affected by the wind? Or the wind didn't blow as much as expected?
I think hooper was the only one saying it was going to be extreme. The accuweather forecast indicated a little wind with gusts around 20, and even then not until after noon. Furthermore, the weather guys used for pro tournaments are good at their job, I would imagine the best for the Masters, and they would not have signed off on split tee threesomes going off at 7:30am if they anticipated 40 mph winds, as that would be unplayable and would have been a lot of inconvenience only to have to come back Monday to finish anyway. It wasn't a factor.

Didn't he hit the tree on 12? The whole pinecone talk.
Molinari wiped the shot on 12. It was poorly struck. And if you get even a touch too far right with the tee shot there and don't strike it flush, it's going to be short because it gets longer and longer to clear the creek the further right you are. 15 was the one that hit the tree limb.

Last edited by a moderator:
He said it would be because of the wind. Molinari just hit two bad shots that did him in. One of them in a spot notorious for exposing nerves and derailing hopes on Sundays.

Disagree.  Molinari couldn't hit a fairway all day and there wasn't anything different about his swing.

It was the wind on 12.  5 professional golfers in back to back groups did not all mis-hit their ball due to nerves.  

Disagree.  Molinari couldn't hit a fairway all day and there wasn't anything different about his swing.

It was the wind on 12.  5 professional golfers in back to back groups did not all mis-hit their ball due to nerves.  
I saw him scrambling yesterday, too. There is always wind on 12, and they can't feel it on the tee. I didn't see anything indicating there was any more than usual. Although four of the last six guys in the creek makes you wonder. But I didn't see anybody stepping off or second guessing or looking up as if the wind had knocked it down. I'll see if it's possible to see with Track a little later but in real time I didn't see it.

I saw him scrambling yesterday, too. There is always wind on 12, and they can't feel it on the tee. I didn't see anything indicating there was any more than usual. Although four of the last six guys in the creek makes you wonder. But I didn't see anybody stepping off or second guessing or looking up as if the wind had knocked it down. I'll see if it's possible to see with Track a little later but in real time I didn't see it.
Not a huge golf fan, was pin placement a factor or do they usually place it in that area on the final round?

Not worth the argument, but to say wind wasn't a factor is absolutely ridiculous.

Tiger's experience was the factor that allowed him to win.  Tiger had his best par 4 performance in this week than in any other of his master wins.  He adapted his game to what his body is capable which is the most impressive thing about it.  Tiger 1.0 used to win the Masters by scoring on the par 5s and holding it together the rest of the time, that wasn't how he won this year.

Not worth the argument, but to say wind wasn't a factor is absolutely ridiculous.

Tiger's experience was the factor that allowed him to win.  Tiger had his best par 4 performance in this week than in any other of his master wins.  He adapted his game to what his body is capable which is the most impressive thing about it.  Tiger 1.0 used to win the Masters by scoring on the par 5s and holding it together the rest of the time, that wasn't how he won this year.
I thought the post round comments were very telling.  Emphasis on "controlling emotions" and not getting too aggressive...."sticking with the gameplan."

He has reinvented his game....doing what winners do, whatever it takes to win.

I think hooper was the only one saying it was going to be extreme. The accuweather forecast indicated a little wind with gusts around 20, and even then not until after noon. Furthermore, the weather guys used for pro tournaments are good at their job, I would imagine the best for the Masters, and they would not have signed off on split tee threesomes going off at 7:30am if they anticipated 40 mph winds, as that would be unplayable and would have been a lot of inconvenience only to have to come back Monday to finish anyway. It wasn't a factor.
:lmao:

Hopefully some day I can become competent in predicting the future outcome of events.

and please don't call me hooper.

:lmao:

Hopefully some day I can become competent in predicting the future outcome of events.

and please don't call me hooper.
:lmao:  sorry man, sorry. Even knew it was hooter. Just a typo. It was a bold prediction. You committed to it and I have to respect that. I just think the wind was garden variety afternoon wind theee. #accuweatherftw

I thought the post round comments were very telling.  Emphasis on "controlling emotions" and not getting too aggressive...."sticking with the gameplan."

He has reinvented his game....doing what winners do, whatever it takes to win.
Like Mj and the fade-away 

Nicklaus pointing to the biggest reason Tiger won...he executed an experienced game plan on the back.

Keopka has to be haunted by the missed putt.  Where on his bucket list is playing Tiger Woods in a Monday playoff at the Masters ranked?

Pipes said:
Wish they would’ve/could’ve done a quick 1 on 1 interview with him immediately afterwards to capture the emotion of the moment.  That round table interview with the amateur talking first was dumb.
It looked and sounded like both Hovland and Tiger were very emotional and on the edge of breaking down while trying to stay composed. I think they captured the emotion of the moment after he won and hugged his caddy, family and fellow golfers.

Wat?  How is this even possible?
Not sure. He was talking to my wife and she asked him about tigers win and he didn't know they moved the time and had been I guess watching the CBS replay.  If you didn't pay super close attention I can see how you could miss the time change. 

Not sure. He was talking to my wife and she asked him about tigers win and he didn't know they moved the time and had been I guess watching the CBS replay.  If you didn't pay super close attention I can see how you could miss the time change. 
I was watching live with my wife and at the very end, Nantz says something like and now you can watch it again.  We both started to laugh.

Binky The Doormat said:
He pured an 8-iron right at the pin on the 72nd hole ...it went right past the hole and just barely into the higher fringe.  

Still should have gotten up-and-down, but didn't.  Damn shame, he deserved it.
I remember that shot.  I think he got a bad bounce -- or a hard bounce maybe? -- for that thing to run off the green like it did.  Anyone remember that?

Was volunteering in the green room at church all morning so watched it on my iPhone (& EVERYBODY was stopping by my corner asking for updates / watching shots)....just getting around to see the interviews & perspective stuff.

Wow is Brooks Koepka a class act or what?

Molinari has no history here to think he’s ready to win, but he’s been so hot now for a year.

Smart golfers win here too, so will really be great to see a guy who knows this course on Sunday better than anyone vs others who are younger and stronger and less smart.

I thought only talk shows had a green room.  
Off topic but it's fairly common these days? Granted my NYC church is a bit off the chain attendance wise (2,500 x 5 is the typical Sunday) but even my church back home in a town of 10K - about 3K attendance per week spread over 5 services/2 campuses - has a green room. Just a back room adjacent to the stage for the creative team to hang out; at my church here, there's a second green room for pastors & staff.

I entered again too. What do people do for hotel if they only have tickets for one day?
I'll worry about that if I get selected.  Haven't had any luck in the 20 years, or so, I've put in for tickets. Since back when you could get tickets for all 3 practice rounds and ticket prices were around $30.  

Users who are viewing this thread