What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is Clint Eastwood's signature role? (1 Viewer)

Signature role

• Rowdy - Rawhide

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Man with no name - A Fistful of Dollars/For a few dollars more/The Good the bad and the ugly

Votes: 81 33.9%
  • Pardner - Paint your wagon

• Hogan - Two mules for Sister Sara

• Kelly - Kellys Hero.

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Dirty Harry - Dirty Harry/Magnum Force/ etc.

Votes: 106 44.4%
  • Philo Beddoe - Every which way but loose

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Josey Wales - The Outlaw Josey Wales

Votes: 26 10.9%
  • Gunnery Sgt. Thomas Highway - Heartbreak ridge.

• Bill Munny - Unforgiven

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Robert - The Bridges of Madison County

• Frank - Space Cowboys

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Frankie - Million Dollar Baby

• Walt - Gran Torino

• Other

• Total voters
When I picture Clint it's as a cowboy. 
Back in the day, presidents quoted Dirty Harry.. "Go ahead, make my day" and "Do you feel lucky" were catch phrases that were everywhere. Shirts, bumper stickers, etc.
Do a search on Dirty Harry and there is an article entitled Trump Is My Dirty Harry just from today.

Back in the day, presidents quoted Dirty Harry.. "Go ahead, make my day" and "Do you feel lucky" were catch phrases that were everywhere. Shirts, bumper stickers, etc.
Do a search on Dirty Harry and there is an article entitled Trump Is My Dirty Harry just from today.
The Man With No Name was every bit as iconic as Dirty Harry. It'll be between those two, though Josie Wales and William Munny should get plenty of votes. The rest will lag far behind.

He used our corner bar for a fight scene in EWWBL. The owner was well compensated by the producers, but Mr Eastwood personally left a multi-thousand dollar tab for the customers he discommoded.

The Man With No Name is who he is. Dirty Harry is just TMWNN with a badge. Bill Munny is the hinge between his acting career and his directing career. I voted Josey Wales and i dont know why

Josey Wales says hi.
I suspect that if we surveyed 1,000 random people that Dirty Harry would compile more votes than all his other roles combined. As an example, I asked my wife and she immediately said Dirty Harry and had trouble coming up with other roles. However, the audience in the FFA does not represent the whole of society and likely has more knowledge of, and seen more, of Eastwood's work. So Dirty Harry may not win in a slam dunk but should still win.

I went Man with No Name, but really just reflective of him in the whole western/cowboy genre.  If there was a generic "cowboy", I might have just gone for that to include that, Hang 'Em High, Josey Wales, High Plains Drifter, etc.  

Love the Dirty Harry character and the movies, but for my money Clint became Josey Wales rather than acted it.  You can say what you want about his other roles and I won't argue, but Josey Wales for me.

I've known this was an alias for Dr. Smith for a long time

What do you mean by that? He directed a bunch of movies before the unforgiven.
that's probably why i voted for Josey Wales. to refine the point, he directed movies for control but became an auteur with Unforgiven and the doubt & regret he found in that flick informed his career the rest of the way

I suspect that if we surveyed 1,000 random people that Dirty Harry would compile more votes than all his other roles combined. As an example, I asked my wife and she immediately said Dirty Harry and had trouble coming up with other roles. However, the audience in the FFA does not represent the whole of society and likely has more knowledge of, and seen more, of Eastwood's work. So Dirty Harry may not win in a slam dunk but should still win.
'If we surveyed 1000 random people' resolves nothing creative, only commercial

Probably/possibly true, but your question was if there was any quesiton of what it is.  I definitely think there is a quesion and it is debatable even if Dirty Harry wins.

And FTR, if I polled my wife it would be Gran Turino so can we just throw out the wife votes?

Probably/possibly true, but your question was if there was any quesiton of what it is.  I definitely think there is a quesion and it is debatable even if Dirty Harry wins.

And FTR, if I polled my wife it would be Gran Turino so can we just throw out the wife votes?
Thus why a larger sample size is always better for sampling / polling.

Voted Josey Wales, think that was his best cowboy role(Munny a close second). I get the Dirty Harry votes but as many others have said when think Clint I think cowboy. 

I asked my wife and she said the old guy from Gran Turino or Million Dollar Baby was all she could think of. I asked my work wife and she said Dirty Harry for sure. 

I asked my wife and she said the old guy from Gran Turino or Million Dollar Baby was all she could think of. I asked my work wife and she said Dirty Harry for sure. 
Not to hijack, but I'm surprised this concept hasn't had more conversation on this board over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread