What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Five things my dad.......... (1 Viewer)

ZenoRazon

Footballguy
........told me when I was a kid.

Dad.....I don't want to ever hear of you starting a fight in school, but, if I hear of you letting anyone push you around (gave me his look)

Dad.....don't ever smoke,  it's totally stupid.

Dad.....(my freshman year of HS  football)....be the first to practice and the last to leave,  if a coach tells you do you something you reply.....yes sir.

Dad....(when I started dating).....listen, women love a great listener,  and always put her ahead of you.

Dad.....(my first job)......keep your mouth shut and do what you're told.

Dad was x-Navy,  and very disciplined, got me into the weights at 15 for football. He stressed....routine, you need a routine.....talking life.  He did a great Hank Williams impersonation, sounded just like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JczEyQHBLEw

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember when you got around 18/19 and started thinking how you knew more than your parents?  And how it didn't take too long before you realized no you didn't.

Another thing my dad taught me was....

Never start something you couldn't finish.

My father taught me that there’s always someone who’s smarter, taller, faster, stronger, more knowledgeable, slicker, better looking, and has who more money. If you make yourself the guy who works harder and never stops, you still have a puncher’s chance to beat them all in the long run. 

“Know when you’re beat.  But also know when the other guy is beat.  Before he does.  Don’t stop, just know.”

“Don’t tell me you would have won ‘if’.  If a frog had wings he wouldn’t bump his ### when he hops. Nobody cares.”

My father taught me that there’s always someone who’s smarter, taller, faster, stronger, more knowledgeable, slicker, better looking, and has who more money. If you make yourself the guy who works harder and never stops, you still have a puncher’s chance to beat them all in the long run. 
What was that long run?

I did learn how to play poker,  chess,  checkers,  backgammon, from dad. He was great and I never beat him. I did beat in shooting pool once,  a big day in my life.

“You can do what you love, or you can do what you’re good at, and if you’re really lucky they’re the same thing”

Sorta this for me. I saw a Dad who had a ton of regrets later in life. That wasn’t going to be me.  I look at it as a blessing. I don’t know if I’d be the Dad I am and have the family i do if I didn’t have a poor example from my own Dad. I was determined to do better. Same with my wife dealing with a bad Mom. 

My kids would say I told them this;

1) if I ever see you bully a kid in school you’ll have me to deal with. Be the bigger person. If a kid has nobody talking to him at recess/lunch be the one who does. If nobody picks a kid to play on a team be the one who does. They lived it and I’m extremely proud of that. 

2) I don’t care who you date but I do who you marry.  Make sure they have a heart of gold, like your friends as much as you do, don’t keep score, etc  

3) Never, ever disrespect your mother  

4) Never get outworked 

5) The power to say no. Blame it on your parents. They drug test you, etc. They won’t think less of you if you just say “no thanks”. And remember you won’t ever see the majority of these kids after high school. So be your own person  

Funny - my big talk to my two boys were 5 things:

1.  Don't become a parent before you want to (which leads to the girls talk).

2.  Don't get a rap sheet.

3.  Don't get addicted to something you can't walk away from.

4.  Don't contract a disease you can't get rid of (which leads to the "what type of girls to go after" talk)

5.  Don't drink and drive - you'll never drive another car of mine again if you do.

It's a good introduction into further discussion.

I was around 13ish when I asked my mom

Little Zeno....how did you and dad meet?

Mom....I was with grandma at a fair in Missouri, you know how granny loves the wrestling.  So there we were sitting in the front row watching the Carnival wrestler who was huge, tossing around a guy half his size, then he threw him outside the ring right at my feet, I helped him up and  he gave me that grin, you know the one. After the match which your dad lost he found me and, there you go.

~~~~~

At the time I think much of it , but now it's like something out of a movie.  I did ask dad if he was a wrestler, he told me no he wasn't but needed the 10 bucks if he could just go a 3 minute round.  Nope. didn't make it.

I was about 14, dad and myself and a buddy of mine were up at the lake above Visalia.  We were fishing, next to us (30 feet or so) were a bunch of young guys drinking and fishing, it was f that and f this and .....well you get the picture.

Dad, kept looking over, he wasn't happy.  So, he hands me his pole and walks over to that rowdy gang.  He's saying something to the biggest one,  the others just listening.  He comes back  I hand him his pole and he goes back to fishing. The gang of rowdies pack up and move way farther down.

Some years later (grown man now).Drinking a beer watching a ball game.

Zeno...remember that time up at the lake and those punks were being punks, what did you say to them?

Dad.....genthlemen, how about we watch the lingo, ok? Any minute now my brother and his buddies The Mongols (local bike gang) are due, do I really need to have you explain this to them?

Zeno....Uncle Donnie in a biker gang, when?

Dad.....all  a bluff son.

"Drop your ##### and grab your socks" was what he liked to say when we he'd wake my brother and I up. Which is pretty funny, looking back, because not only did we share the same room, but also the same bed. 

Dad is so awesome. I don't remember much in the way of memorable phrases. I just remember that no matter what I did or what I achieved (and on the academic side, he couldn't relate), all he ever cared about or asked about was did you work hard and treat people right?

One of those times still stands out in my mind. I was in the 5th grade. Made great grades. My dad, my brother, and I were supposed go to a monster truck rally. I was so pumped. But on the day we were supposed to go, report cards came out. High marks across the board. Except for one thing, I got an "N" (needs improvement) for my Conduct grade. They went to the monster truck rally. I did not. I don't even remember what he said at the time, but the lesson was clear. It doesn't matter how smart you are, don't be an #######. 

He would say....you got the point, right?  That's all that matters.
No. Form is as important as content at times. They almost become one. What it does is that it shows a willingness to abide by prescribed standards, something I'm sure he also taught you given the OP.  

No. Form is as important as content at times. They almost become one. What it does is that it shows a willingness to abide by prescribed standards, something I'm sure he also taught you given the OP.  
Back then it would looking like I was going to be career Navy and there was no such thing as the internet. And I'd never showed any interest in being a writer.

I do know he never played critic with anyone, his thing  was  everybody has their thing, it doesn't have to be yours.

Back then it would looking like I was going to be career Navy and there was no such thing as the internet. And I'd never showed any interest in being a writer.

I do know he never played critic with anyone, his thing  was  everybody has their thing, it doesn't have to be yours.
They can't write in the Navy? By what standard do they communicate the written word/orders/instructions/etc.? 

Sure he played critic. Any judgment puts one in the position of playing critic, and it sounds like he made judgments. The man that told you to respect coaching authority to the extreme, to shut up, to not smoke, to put a woman ahead of yourself, and call your elders "sir" was a live and let live guy? I highly doubt it. 

Doesn't sound like any of those instructions fit the personality profile of real laissez-faire issue.  I'd bet dollars to donuts that he'd tell you this: Ellipses come in threes. Adhere to standard and syntactical form.  

They can't write in the Navy? By what standard do they communicate the written word/orders/instructions/etc.? 

Sure he played critic. Any judgment puts one in the position of playing critic, and it sounds like he made judgments. The man that told you to respect coaching authority to the extreme, to shut up, to not smoke, to put a woman ahead of yourself, and call your elders "sir" was a live and let live guy? I highly doubt it. 

Doesn't sound like any of those instructions fit the personality profile of real laissez-faire issue.  I'd bet dollars to donuts that he'd tell you this: Ellipses come in threes. Adhere to standard and syntactical form.  
He wasn't much for sweating the small stuff, more a big picture/bottom line guy. I really can't see him caring much elipses, it could be three, five. whatever really wouldn't matter, the meat of the message is all he'd care about.

'****  you won 1000 bucks

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ you won a 1000 bucks

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> you won a 1000 bucks

*****************you won a 1000 bucks

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{  you won a 1000 bucks

All he'd care about is he just won a 1000 bucks.

I could write a book:

(on getting married) "treat her right...or somebody else will"
(on getting my 1st job)  "your job now is to make your boss believe that he cannot get the job done without you.  Every time you don't show up, you prove that he can."
(on joining the USMC)  "screw up here, and it will follow you the rest of your life.'
(on getting an education)  "if you can do something that nobody else can do, and that "something" is in demand, you will be rich.  If all you can do is convert oxygen into carbon dioxide, remember that billions of other people can do it too and chances are that they can do it better and will do it for less money."
(on getting a tattoo)  "never hang anything on your body that you wouldn't hang on a wall...and remember, if you hang it on a wall, you can always take it down or move it."
(on my reputation)  "your reputation is what defends you when you are not around to do defend yourself."  (my sister heard this a lot)
(in general) "in this house, my vote counts ten".

I don't remember much as far as words of wisdom.  We did play a lot of catch, and would always go outside at halftime to throw the football around.  I'm pretty sure everytime I dropped one he would say "if it hits your hands, you have to catch it."

Fat lot of good it did me as I went on to become a terrible WR in high school.

Never forget the first time he saw me play HS football, yep, game one of my freshman season vs Tulare.

Dad...(waiting outside the locker room)....good game son, hell, Hugh McElhenny only bigger. (Who?...at that time)

I could see how proud he was. Funny thing is the Niners would become my team and I would learn all about Hugh "The King" McElhenny. Even own a few of his football cards.

"The King"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zP_SBa8MpY

Users who are viewing this thread