What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Most essential songs since 2000 (1 Viewer)

Local public radio station creates top 893 lists every year for the member drive. They've done artist, album, and songs. This year they isolated down the song list to only include 2000 and later. 

What you got?

Heres my submission - the results are played in May. 

https://cloud.connect.mpr.org/essential_songs_list?sl=1212N1325H&fbclid=IwAR2xXew4ezHIwbJdSbyo9f1AS47pX1hAV51um47sVBBwlJX-y8jpn3t7WKU 
You must be in/around the Twin Cities.  The Current's countdowns are awesome. I thought about submitting for this but I dont know how I'd ever narrow the choices down to only 10. 

This is one of my favorite radio stations ever. Best thing to happen to MN radio since the halcyon days of REV105 over 20 years ago.

1."Is This It"

2."The Modern Age"

3."Soma"

4."Barely Legal"

5."Someday"

6."Alone, Together"

7."Last Nite"

8."Hard to Explain"

9."New York City Cops"

10."Trying Your Luck"

This is a heck of an idea. I wonder what I'd come up with or how I'd weigh what "essential" meant... 
I'd qualify it as not so much your favorite songs overall, but perhaps the best songs by the artists that most moved you since 2000, or the songs that you can't imagine having not heard. That's how I'd qualify it, anyway. F it, I might just have to fill one of these out.

I'd probably be down for this draft.

That Strokes album was awesome. I remember how scuzzy it sounded and how great it was for the time.  

Last Nite
The early aughts was the last great movement in popular rock. Strokes and White Stripes were at the forefront of an incredible but perhaps final wave 

Also listening to Last Nite on headphone now and I forgot how bouncy and fun it was. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The early aughts was the last great movement in popular rock. Strokes and White Stripes were at the forefront of an incredible but perhaps final wave 
We've argued this before, but then I look at my iTunes and they're recommending a group/dude called Jesse Rutherford posing in a total Ramones pose with leather jackets and brick walls called GARAGEB&. I click, thinking, "Awesome. We need some garage rock in popular consciousness! What does he sing? What does it sound like?"

Uh, this.

Bi

and

Tunnelovision

From the YouTube comments:

slavette 18 hours ago

"it's amazing how he actually combined 2000 rock with modern kind of trap/rnb.... ugh his mind."

:wall:

Last edited by a moderator:
We've argued this before, but then I look at my iTunes and they're recommending a group/dude called Jesse Rutherford posing in a total Ramones pose with leather jackets and brick walls called GARAGEB&. I click, thinking, "Awesome. We need some garage rock in popular consciousness! What does he sing? What does it sound like?"

Uh, this.

Bi

From the YouTube comments:

slavette 18 hours ago

"it's amazing how he actually combined 2000 rock with modern kind of trap/rnb.... ugh his mind."

:wall:
Made the whole album on GarageBand on his iphone 8. 

And I really have no issue with the direction of music being the composition of 1 single person. I mean if Mozart was around now, he would a 1 man EDM show for sure. But to me rock and roll is a group endeavor. 
Yeah, I have no problem with the one man endeavor thing as far as music goes. And Mozart would likely be an EDM show of some sort. I personally think that collage art (sampling) is where Mozart would be, both critic and creator by synthesis. As for Mr. Rutherford, my disappointment isn't his solo effort, it's just that the marketing and record jacket promised so much more than watered-down rock and trap. It's inventive, for sure, and probably sounds great to younger folks, but it sounds sort of like it's missing something to me. Not terrible, just not my thing. His YouTube fans adore him, it seems.

As for the bolded, I tend to agree, though guys like Jay Reatard, Kurt Vile, Ty Segall and the like are revered both in garage circles and in these very parts. I have never gotten the love, really, but I'm willing to listen and meet people half of the way.

As for the bolded, I tend to agree, though guys like Jay Reatard, Kurt Vile, Ty Segall and the like are revered both in garage circles and in these very parts. I have never gotten the love, really, but I'm willing to listen and meet people half of the way.
They are all fine composers but they don't play in no rocknroll band.

What makes a song essential?
That's what makes it a little more fun. You aren't listing the "greatest" or even your favorites. Personally, I run with my own set of rules:

1. One song per artist maximum 

2. Include at least one hip hop song

3. Include at least two female vocals

4. Bump up songs that define a favorite artist to me (seven nation army; do I wanna know)

All of Taylor Swift's songs should be on this list. I'd be okay leaving Style off, but everyone other song, most definitely.

I think you got the wrong song for some of those bands. Maps and I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor would have been my choices. 

I think you got the wrong song for some of those bands. Maps and I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor would have been my choices. 
I'm sure Maps will be higher overall but Gold Lion is what I consider the quintessential YYY song. Without a one song per band limit, I'd have Dance Floor over Sweetness. 

The Strokes - Last Nite

OutKast - Hey Ya

Kanye West - Through The Wire

Amy Winehouse - Rehab

MGMT - Kids

Robyn - Dancing on My Own

The Weeknd - Wicked Games

Frank Ocean - Pyramids

Miguel - Adorn

Solange Knowles - Losing You

Just 10 is hard. Listed chronologically. Went pretty poppy but that’s been my tastes for a while now. 

D_House said:
The Strokes - Last Nite

OutKast - Hey Ya

Kanye West - Through The Wire

Amy Winehouse - Rehab

MGMT - Kids

Robyn - Dancing on My Own

The Weeknd - Wicked Games

Frank Ocean - Pyramids

Miguel - Adorn

Solange Knowles - Losing You

Just 10 is hard. Listed chronologically. Went pretty poppy but that’s been my tastes for a while now. 
Dancing On My Own was literally my #11 song. Losing You and Hey Ya are so freaking great. All of the Lights by Kanye missed my cut.

My 10:

10. Nathaniel Rateliff and The Night Sweats- I Need Never Grow Old

9. The Distillers- The Young Crazed Peeling

8. My Chemical Romance- Welcome To The Black Parade

7. MGMT- Time To Pretend

6. The Bouncing Souls- Lean on Sheena

5. Eminem- Lose Yourself

4. Japandroids- The House That Heaven Built

3. Angels & Airwaves- The Adventure

2. Kid Cudi- Pursuit of Happiness (Extended Steve Aoki remix)

1. Hold Steady- Constructive Summer

JB Breakfast Club said:
I'm sure Maps will be higher overall but Gold Lion is what I consider the quintessential YYY song. Without a one song per band limit, I'd have Dance Floor over Sweetness. 
Our Time or Maps

Users who are viewing this thread