What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 NBA Playoffs Thread: Toronto Raptors win NBA title #1.33 (8 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just figured it was easier than having two threads going. If folks want the other one open we can do that. Doesn’t matter a lot to me. 

we will also accept taking it to the bank shot in honor of this being a bball thread take that to the backboard brohans 

i like brian anderson calling nba games because it makes me think of the brewers who he calls tv games for good voice and good announcer take that to the bank bromigos

What a half!  Feels like the Blazers should be down 10 and yet it's tied at the half.  Feel like a scrap is coming.  Blazers in trouble if Kanter's hand is mush.

I meant they will make Denver panic if they go up 2-0. Close game now.
Sadly enough--Denver should really be up 2-0 in this series.   Denver gave away game 1 with their ineptitude more than the Spurs won it. Derozan and Lemarcus combined to go 12-36 in game 1.  In game 1--only one Denver starter hit 50% or better from the field and that was Gary Harris.   If I were giving the Nuggets a letter grade for how they played in game 1--the best I could give them is maybe a D --and they still lost by only 5.    In tonights game--for 3 quarters they played C-/D+ basketball--and played one quarter of good basketball and turned a big defecit into a nice win.   In brutal honesty--the Nuggets have only really played one really good quarter of basketball so far this series ---and that was good enough to get them  a split.   I don't think they can get away with one good quarter of basketball in 2 games to get a split in San Antonio.   They need to build off of tonight's good 4th quarter and try to play like that with more consistency. 

Thunder have no margin for error with their lack of shooting. Defense has been awful for a few months, I don’t know why I let myself think they could win the series. I’ll be surprised if it goes more than 5. 

Westbrook holding his hand like it's hurt bad...

edit: Nevermind, he's fine. Just whining about losing the ball.

Last edited by a moderator:
The General said:
💗 Lillard
i hate to break it to you brohan but he doesnt even know who you are so my advice is love the one you with and forget about him take that to the bank bromigo

Best front court left in the NBA playoffs... I consider it the most solid 3-4 man rotation for c/PF spots. SF sort of counts, but mainly focused on the bigs 

I get that it is frustrating for some that the outcome of the playoffs is all but pre-determined, but I'd much rather have that than what happened to Tampa Bay in pucks. I don't follow hockey much but it doesn't even seem like it's that out of the ordinary for the best team in the league to get swept in the first round. 

i hate to break it to you brohan but he doesnt even know who you are so my advice is love the one you with and forget about him take that to the bank bromigo
Respectful Mr. Bromigo, Dame is a big hearted, love 'em all, all welcome sort of fella who takes the time to make people feel special and not act like he hasn't been there before and you can put that kindly in your pipe and toke on it please and thank you and may we hopefully see a Portland vs Bucke series one day perhaps amigo.

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
A friend of mine just suggested the Thunder fire Billy D and hire Mark Jackson. Am I allowed to continue being friends with this person?
Billy D has certainly done a poor job coaching his team about shot selection so far this series.  Portland is not a great defensive team--and Kanter is not the defensive rim protector that Nurkic was.  Adams has a big strength advantage on Kanter, Lillard is not a great defender so Westbrook should be able to attack the basket on him--and George should have no problem finding success against guys like Hood or Aminu.   Any person who has had experience playing basketball will tell you that if you want to improve your perimeter shooting percentage--play offense from the inside out.   Look at the numbers from the first 2 games.   The Thunder are 62/118 in two point field goal attempts--a nearly 53% clip.  That's a very solid and efficient percentage that they can take advantage of.  However--they are 10-61 from the 3pt line--16%--which is horrid.   I totally understand that they cannot abandon the 3 point shot all together as that is not remotely realistic--but there is NO reason why a team that shoots the three that poorly should be shooting it that much.  So far this series--3 point field goal attempts are reflective of 34% of their shot selection---even though they are only hitting them at a 16% clip.   Being that they are shooting 2 point field goals at a 52.5% clip so far this series--they are really playing into Portlands hands.  

I do think they address this back at home.  I think they will attack the paint more and will be more selective in their 3 point attempts.  If they can shoot fewer of them at a more efficient percentage--they should be able to make this a series again.   Teams tend to be more confortable at home--and they just tend to naturally stick with what is working for them because of the familiar environment.   

I get that it is frustrating for some that the outcome of the playoffs is all but pre-determined, but I'd much rather have that than what happened to Tampa Bay in pucks. I don't follow hockey much but it doesn't even seem like it's that out of the ordinary for the best team in the league to get swept in the first round. 
It's not out of the ordinary for an 8 to beat a 1 in hockey. You can run into a hot goalie and it's all over.

However, getting swept after the historic win total TB put up this year is a monumental failure that rarely happens. That would have been like the Rockets getting not only swept by the TWolves last year but losing every game by 20 points.

That's what I was trying to explain in the NCAA thread. Just not even on the same level of athleticism and competition. You can say they don't play defense but that's because they are going against A++ Blue Chip level squads every night. 
They are different games.  I wasn't there, so I'm not sure anyone was actually arguing that NCAA games were comprised of better athletes, but that's not the only factor going in to entertainment factor for watching a game.

I enjoy NBA as well as NCAA, but I don't watch them to see the same things. 

Billy D has certainly done a poor job coaching his team about shot selection so far this series.  Portland is not a great defensive team--and Kanter is not the defensive rim protector that Nurkic was.  Adams has a big strength advantage on Kanter, Lillard is not a great defender so Westbrook should be able to attack the basket on him--and George should have no problem finding success against guys like Hood or Aminu.   Any person who has had experience playing basketball will tell you that if you want to improve your perimeter shooting percentage--play offense from the inside out.   Look at the numbers from the first 2 games.   The Thunder are 62/118 in two point field goal attempts--a nearly 53% clip.  That's a very solid and efficient percentage that they can take advantage of.  However--they are 10-61 from the 3pt line--16%--which is horrid.   I totally understand that they cannot abandon the 3 point shot all together as that is not remotely realistic--but there is NO reason why a team that shoots the three that poorly should be shooting it that much.  So far this series--3 point field goal attempts are reflective of 34% of their shot selection---even though they are only hitting them at a 16% clip.   Being that they are shooting 2 point field goals at a 52.5% clip so far this series--they are really playing into Portlands hands.  

I do think they address this back at home.  I think they will attack the paint more and will be more selective in their 3 point attempts.  If they can shoot fewer of them at a more efficient percentage--they should be able to make this a series again.   Teams tend to be more confortable at home--and they just tend to naturally stick with what is working for them because of the familiar environment.   
He had three steals and two blocks last night.  He was pestering Westbrook hard.  He's not Gary Payton, but he's improved his defense significantly.  Guy works HARD in the off-season to improve his game.  It shows.  

And yeah, I'm myopic in my man-love for Dame. :wub:

He had three steals and two blocks last night.  He was pestering Westbrook hard.  He's not Gary Payton, but he's improved his defense significantly.  Guy works HARD in the off-season to improve his game.  It shows.  

And yeah, I'm myopic in my man-love for Dame. :wub:
Oh trust me--I'm a huge Lillard fan and he has improved defensively. No argument there.   With that said--westbrook is one of the most explosive and athletic point guards to have ever played the game.  Even an improved lillard cannot successfully stop him from attacking the basket on a consistent basis.  Anytime Westbrook settles for a mid range two or a 3pt shot--he is absolutely playing into the Blazers hands.  The numbers dont lie. The Thunder are having massive success in 2pt range and are dying by the volume of 3's they are attempting and missing 

Hysterical.  For the 10,000th time.  And OMG he took it to the bank again everybody, hahahaha, please keep doing it.

• Love
Reactions: SWC
Didn’t want to quote it but good post @jvdesigns2002. Although I’m not sure coaching can be faulted with respect to shot selection. I think we have enough evidence at this point that RWB is going to pretty much do whatever whenever. At one point in time Russ killed teams with that pull-up jumper from the elbow - he seems to have completely abandoned that as he’s lost confidence in his shot, but for some reason that doesn’t stop him from bombing those threes. He’s also got to get over trying to make the game a 1v1 battle against whoever pissed him off that night. He simply can’t go shot for shot with a guy like Lillard and it’s idiotic to even try. 

Some of it is on Presti - they just don’t have enough shooting on the roster period. 

Hopefully they can make it a series. 

Didn’t want to quote it but good post @jvdesigns2002. Although I’m not sure coaching can be faulted with respect to shot selection. I think we have enough evidence at this point that RWB is going to pretty much do whatever whenever. At one point in time Russ killed teams with that pull-up jumper from the elbow - he seems to have completely abandoned that as he’s lost confidence in his shot, but for some reason that doesn’t stop him from bombing those threes. He’s also got to get over trying to make the game a 1v1 battle against whoever pissed him off that night. He simply can’t go shot for shot with a guy like Lillard and it’s idiotic to even try. 

Some of it is on Presti - they just don’t have enough shooting on the roster period. 

Hopefully they can make it a series. 
Thank you for the love on my post.  In general--I agree with you to a certain extent when it comes to shot selection on a "shot by shot" basis. Some of that stuff is determined by the ebbs and flows of a game and momentum swings (hot hands..etc) and things of that nature. However--I do think it is a coaches responsibility to create an identity for the team they are coaching.  The identity is based on knowing the strengths and weaknesses of the players on that team.   OKC has been a pretty terrible 3pt shooting team all season--it's not one of their strengths.  However--what they are really good at is attacking the basket through strong/explosive/athletic players-- westbrook, george, grant, adams...etc.   Their identity should be based on their physicality---both on the offensive and defensive end.   They are not playing that way so far in this series.  They are trying to beat Portland playing Portlands style of basketball--which will not work.   Even if they attack the hoop and miss--Adams will be there on the offensive glass---they will draw more foul shots, and can put pressure on Portland by putting them in foul trouble.   I do think that Billy Donovan has failed in regards to the respect of creating an identity for the Thunder.  Their identity is basically Westbrook and George being great individual players and the rest just fill ins.  Scott Brooks kinda did the same thing when he was there.   The Thunder will by nature win a decent amount of regular season games because of the talent of Westbrook and George alone--but they will have a very hard time finding success in the playoffs until they understand what they are good and bad at collectively.  That is a coaching thing.  

Oh trust me--I'm a huge Lillard fan and he has improved defensively. No argument there.   With that said--westbrook is one of the most explosive and athletic point guards to have ever played the game.  Even an improved lillard cannot successfully stop him from attacking the basket on a consistent basis.  Anytime Westbrook settles for a mid range two or a 3pt shot--he is absolutely playing into the Blazers hands.  The numbers dont lie. The Thunder are having massive success in 2pt range and are dying by the volume of 3's they are attempting and missing 
Game 3 should be ugly.  Hate wagering against my team, but OKC -7.5 seems like stealing.  

realizing that i'm years (?) behind the curve on this.. i really thought that was Rob Lowe standing next to Magic at Lakers games and just assumed Lowe was a part-owner or something.

It is an uncanny resemblance.
and the way Pelinka looks at Magic with doe eyes like "wow, i'm at the Lakers game with Magic freaking Johnson!" it made sense to me that either they were in business together.. or Lowe was a super fan with enough money to hang out with Magic at games.

never even questioned it until reading online today that their resemblance has been a running gag on the internet for the last couple years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread