What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 NBA Playoffs Thread: Toronto Raptors win NBA title #1.33 (7 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's because he only played 60 games. For comparison, the much maligned Joel Embiid played 64 games. 

Though I guess something could be said about load management. The team got a 2 seed with him resting that much and now he looks absolutely dominant in the post season because he's played 20 less games than a lot of guys. 
Fair enough. But what's the excuse for Klay?

Looks like the voters disagree with us.

Klay not making any of the All-NBA teams is a joke. And these "votes" are going to cost him $27M and a supermax contract.
Who would he knock off?  Westbrook was inefficient, but averaged another triple-double.  Kemba was better than him both in traditional and advanced statistics and didn't get to play next to two MVP's.

I like Klay's game, but he did not deserve to be all-NBA this year.

ETA: His advanced stats are actually not even close.  He is way behind in all of PER, WS/48, BPM & VORP.  And again, he is actually just the 3rd option on his team's offense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who would he knock off?  Westbrook was inefficient, but averaged another triple-double.  Kemba was better than him both in traditional and advanced statistics and didn't get to play next to two MVP's.

I like Klay's game, but he did not deserve to be all-NBA this year.

ETA: His advanced stats are actually not even close.  He is way behind in all of PER, WS/48, BPM & VORP.  And again, he is actually just the 3rd option on his team's offense.
Also, Beal has a much stronger case than Klay.  His numbers are a lot closer to the all-NBA team players.

Toronto signed Marc Gasol the same day the Bucks signed Nikola Mirotic.  Raptors made the better move it seems. 
If Budenholzer had figured out how to play Mirotic at least as well as Nurse figured out Gasol (which wasn't that much), it would have been a LOT more even (esp considering what was given up).

It took Nurse a while to integrate Gasol because Raptors were playing big smallball, if that makes any sense. Leonard, Ibaka & Siakam were interchangeable on switches and they were just gonna give MG Valanciunas's low-post bench minutes, but Gasol couldn't go low enough to allow the lane to the drivers. Nurse eventually gave him the same kind of role as Brook Lopez has on the Bucks, but that gave Gasol the yips he is only now recovering from.

Mirotic was much easier but more poorly done. I was highly excited for the Bucks getting him because he was the element they needed to free Middleton to multiple roles, to be KawhiLite. Mirotic can be in one of three spots anytime you want and be ridiculously hot from all three. All they'd have to do is screen one of the guys who follow Giannis into the post from coming back to Mirotic, let the Freak know that there's always a kick out and it's treys all day. Check back the thread - i been griping about this since the reg season and Detroit series. You gotta hide him on D, but you give him Ilyasova's slot and that's easy. But you cant have the two Euroslos oncourt together, and they did. The one game they started Mirotic and told Anteaternintendo to look for him was the game they turned it around on Boston and, if they did it again, The Wall would come tumbling down. But no, they're making him play like everybody else and he cant and that's why he's -37, riding pine & why Deer got fear. nufced

I agree with that but if my main goal was to win a title and not the money I'd have done the same especially knowing I couldn't beat GS no matter where I went. If you can't beat em join em. Yeah people hate him for going there but then lets go with the opposite and say he left for the Money going else where crowd comes into play. He's in a lose lose situation because like I said there's a lot of people who think Russel Westbrook can do no wrong. 
agree here. I never understood it either. Think it is worse if a guy were to move to a horrible team and just play hero ball all the time to pad stats. but in all reality, who cares at this point in the NBA. What Lebron did was worse then KD going to GS just to make some sh'tty movies instead of worrying about the rest of his career

Should be All-NBA:  Bradley Beal, Klay Thompson

Should not be All-NBA:  LeBron James, Blake Griffin

Those guys got votes cause of the past and they needed non-guards.  LeBron is probably the 2nd best player in the league, but the way he checked out this year should have been punished.

Also, the media/fans should have no impact on a players contract.  That super max rule is about as dumb as it gets.

Jayrod said:
Wasn't saying he should have stayed in OKC, it was meant to say he could have gone anywhere else and not faced the backlash he has for going to Golden State.
Yeah the backlash of being a 2x champion and 2x Finals MVP.  Horrible.  I'm sure his sensitivity is flaring up right now.

And if he finished his career without a ring, all the couch potatoes would give him backlash for not being a champion.

You are just mad he didn't go to your loser team

Brunell4MVP said:

Those guys got votes cause of the past and they needed non-guards.  LeBron is probably the 2nd best player in the league, but the way he checked out this year should have been punished.

Also, the media/fans should have no impact on a players contract.  That super max rule is about as dumb as it gets.
27/8/8 is checking out?

career averages are 27/7/7

maybe take him off for playing little more than half a season, i can agree with that but... checked out?

Brunell4MVP said:

Griffin had a great season and kind of re-made himself as a player better at shooting and craft and with a different style now that his athleticism is waning.  I don't think that was based past performance.

I did find Lebron a little surprising, but certainly the positional scarcity played into it.

Griffin had a great season and kind of re-made himself as a player better at shooting and craft and with a different style now that his athleticism is waning.  I don't think that was based past performance.

I did find Lebron a little surprising, but certainly the positional scarcity played into it.
yeah, agreed here regarding Blake Griffin. he kind of pittered out near the end of the season, but started the season tearing things up. usual wear and tear for him and his body getting old took some luster off,  but i bet if he was healthy in the playoffs and put on a good performance he would have been close. Definitely take Griffin over Lebron for all-NBA

Jayrod said:
Therein lies the rub.

LeBron had just done it, coming back from 3-1.  He may not have been able to do it with Westbrook & Ibaka (if only they had paid Harden!!), but going to Golden State was seen by many as surrendering.  Not a lot of glory or honor in joining up with the frontrunner.  It is why people hate bandwagon fans and love Rocky/Rudy/Hoosiers.
oh I get it. I was more so saying I think People are a little hard on KD for even leaving no matter what. He felt like he wasn't considered a big part and if I was OKC I would've let Russ go or traded him and built around KD. Best pure scorer in the game and a very solid Defender can't ask for more. 

modogg said:
agree here. I never understood it either. Think it is worse if a guy were to move to a horrible team and just play hero ball all the time to pad stats. but in all reality, who cares at this point in the NBA. What Lebron did was worse then KD going to GS just to make some sh'tty movies instead of worrying about the rest of his career
Exactly I think what Lebron did was much worse especially how he went back to Cleveland and people acted like he was trying to right a wrong. No had another team had been in Clevland's spot and he could get Love there he would. Cavs 2.0 was nothing more then chasing a title and it could've been any team but they had his spot. He even told Bosh and Wade he was resigning. I'm not made about the whole decision thing to hold a gripe his first FA run. I just thought it was tacky and more of a "hey look at me" type move when everyone following the NBA could've told you he was joining MIA despite what anyone tries to spin it that he didn't know he was going. Winhorst and Broussard were literally right the whole year about Lebron going to MIA even going back with the 3 discussed teaming up while at the Olympics when all became FA's 2 yrs prior. And he's pretty disrespectful to any coach he doesn't like. After the way he treated Blatt and some others Riley's story of him going into his office not even 25% of the season asking for Riely to coach and fire Spoelstra. Like dude you just got here if you didn't like the coach why wait till the season started? Last I checked KD seems like a great teammate, doesn't rock the boat and doesn't need everyone to bend over cheeks spread for him. He also hasn't tried to get coaches fired. I thought what Lebron did to Blatt was incredible disrespectful and unprofessional. 

I thought what Lebron did to Blatt was incredible disrespectful and unprofessional. 
Regardless of what he did, the season he won the title is the greatest example I've ever seen of a man willing his team to victory.  Given who he was playing, and the talent around him (good not great) it was an incredible accomplishment.

Jayrod said:
Therein lies the rub.

LeBron had just done it, coming back from 3-1.  He may not have been able to do it with Westbrook & Ibaka (if only they had paid Harden!!), but going to Golden State was seen by many as surrendering.  Not a lot of glory or honor in joining up with the frontrunner.  It is why people hate bandwagon fans and love Rocky/Rudy/Hoosiers.
Rudy is a terrible movie.

Regardless of what he did, the season he won the title is the greatest example I've ever seen of a man willing his team to victory.  Given who he was playing, and the talent around him (good not great) it was an incredible accomplishment.
Definitely. Kawhi this year reminds me a lot of that, even though it’s incredibly unlikely they beat GS. 

Yep.  Lebron carrying that garbage team to an nba title shows he’s the one of the top 3  players ever.

Kawhi carrying a weak TOR team to title would be equally impressive.

Kind of helps when the refs are all over your nuts and then have Kyrie hitting clutch 3s. Lebron doesn't win the title in Cleveland without Kyrie clutch shooting at the end. Also given how weak the East was then. 

Kawhi entering legend status imo 
i thought he was so worn down after that Sixers series that i put way too much on Milwaukee. I do think this is more of Kawhi being this great a player right now than some oversight of Milwaukee. Would have been interesting if Lebron stayed in Cle and had to face this Toronto team too.

F'n Kawhi is costing me a lot of money this playoffs, but man is he something. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread