What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 NBA Playoffs Thread: Toronto Raptors win NBA title #1.33 (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
still can't believe they called the moving screen on Cousins with 15 seconds left in the game. Sure it was a moving screen, but they don't even make those calls in the regular season. Watching the other series in the playoffs there were moving screens throughout the games that were never called, just seemed crazy to make that call at such an important time of the game. I would imagine had the Warriors lost by 1 or 2 this would be talked about a lot more
Why not?  That has to be called at that point in the game.  In the playoffs to illegally setup the best shooter in the game?  Got to call it.  Cousins doesn't just move.  He drops his shoulder into the defender.

They call way more illegal picks in the playoffs than in the regular season.  Cause the regular season don't matter.

Why not?  That has to be called at that point in the game.  In the playoffs to illegally setup the best shooter in the game?  Got to call it.  Cousins doesn't just move.  He drops his shoulder into the defender.

They call way more illegal picks in the playoffs than in the regular season.  Cause the regular season don't matter.
LOL.  They could call that 30 times a game.  Or more.  Horrific call given how much BS doesn't get called in the final 2-3 minutes of most games.

while we wait for game 6, let me show everyone here how bad the NBA screwed the Sixers by making them get rid of Hinkie and bring on Colangelo. I tried giving the guy the benefit of the doubt, but laying out the moves he made as the Sixers GM can show how a bad GM can absolutely cripple a franchise for years. Luckily the damage wasn't too crazy because the Sixers were in a real sweet spot, but honestly reviewing the moves Colangelo made are just depressing 

https://thesixersense.com/2019/06/11/philadelphia-76ers-bryan-colangelo-sad-trade-record/3/

they are all bad, but this one still is haunting:

Traded a 2020 1st round draft pick and a 2020 2nd round draft pick to the Orlando Magic for Anzejs Pasecniks. 31 out of 32 first round picks in that 2017 draft have played in the NBA. the only one to not..... Pasecnkis

Northern Voice said:
:no:

TSN has the rights for the CFL and they don't for MLB/NHL so they push it but I don't know anyone who cares about the Argos. Different story for the Western CFL teams obviously, they are a big deal in their cities. 
Hamilton and Ottawa are big deals in their cities too I would argue and Montreal supports their team fairly well (although that may change with the current ####show going on there).

Hamilton and Ottawa are big deals in their cities too I would argue and Montreal supports their team fairly well (although that may change with the current ####show going on there).
Ya the cities that don't have any other sports to cheer for (Winnipeg, Regina, Hamilton, and sorta Ottawa) definitely have more of a hard core following even though they probably have less fans due simply to population. Edmonton/Vancouver/Calgary/Toronto/Montreal have a much smaller percentage of fans, but sheer population somewhat fills the stadiums.

1.   So now you know what motivated him to come back?  This is EXACTLY the kinda of BS that Steph and Bob were talking about... how everyone seems to want to write the guy's story, the guy's narrative, and tell everyone what he's thinking.  Why can't it be the more likely scenario that he loves to play, to compete, loves his teammates, and wanted so badly to be on the floor with them?  That's what all the people who ACTUALLY know KD are saying.  

2.  Disagree here.  Yes it probably would have happened elsewhere, but these fans are especially uneducated/inexperienced/etc.  All of Jurrasic park was cheering non stop and waving goodbye at him as he was carried off the court.  I must say, I hate the "oh everyone else does it so it's okay" narrative.  If more fans/media/players got angry at these "ignorant" (as you call it) things, then it would happen less around the league(s).  And that would be a good thing. 
1. True, I don't know exactly what KD was thinking.  Neither do you.  All any of us are doing is speculating.  He has given us some glimpses into his psyche and decision making in the past through his actions and social media accounts.  Jalen Rose, someone with even more insight into NBA players than you or I, seemed to think a lot of why he played was due to social media pressure.  Based on all of that, it makes sense that there was some % of his decision being based on what other people think of him.  And honestly, history and human nature basically tells us exactly that as well.  And as far as what "people who ACTUALLY know KD are saying," why are they to be trusted 100%?  Is it not possible they are trying to spin it to make KD look good?

2. "Especially uneducated/experienced/etc."?  Howso?  Those fans have had pro sports in Canada their entire lives and have access to the same media you, I and every other fan does.  There is little to no difference from fan base to fan base, despite what people like to think.  There are idiots, trolls, fools, etc. at every arena around the US & Canada.  No one is condoning it, they are merely pointing out the fact that every single fan base would have reacted the same.  That's it.  Just don't hammer Toronto like they are beneath you as a whole.

Winnipeg and Ottawa don't have other teams to cheer for?

There were 32 first-round picks in the 2017 NBA draft?

The Raptors have been around for 44 years?*

You learn all kinds of things in this thread.

*I know this joke is already tired...

Given the good chance Durant will not play at all next season and who knows what kind of player he will be after will he remained unsigned next season? Plus this injury might impact guys who want to sign the 1-2 deals and keep rolling the dice for bigger deals.  Not that he even needs the money but Durant could have had a 6-7 year deal anytime he wanted after leaving OK.

"It's a 8-12 months recovery," Dr. Alan Beyer, an orthopedic surgeon and executive director of the Hoag Orthopedic Institute, told CBS Sports on Tuesday. "Usually closer to the year from what we've seen with other NBA players having this injury."

Bottom line: There's a chance, perhaps a good chance, that Durant will miss all of next season if indeed it is a full Achilles rupture. 

Will he ever be the same player?

"Very tough to say. As we saw with Kevin and initial injury, everyone responds differently," Dr. Beyer told CBS Sports. "I will say this: When you're reconstructing an Achilles, to tension your repair exactly back to the link that it was before, it is very difficult to get that exactly right. Then, in the healing process itself, you get some scarring and you get some contraction of some tissue, so the tendon can wind up a little bit tighter than it started. 

"Now, in an everyday average person, this is fine, because you're only asking them to return to everyday functions like walking, regular jogging, just normal, non-explosive movements," Dr. Beyer continued. "In an NBA player who has to jump explosively and cut and move in quick bursts, that's a huge obstacle to overcome. And it's not just the straight vertical leap. If you lose just a tiny bit of your leaping, for instance, the shooting arc that you've used your whole life is actually a little bit destroyed. So it impacts everything. It can be a devastating injury. I mean you can count the guys who have had this injury and come back to be even close to what they were before. It's not many."

Last edited by a moderator:
Given the good chance Durant will not play at all next season and who knows what kind of player he will be after will he remained unsigned next season? Plus this injury might impact guys who want to sign the 1-2 deals and keep rolling the dice for bigger deals.  Not that he even needs the money but Durant could have had a 6-7 year deal anytime he wanted after leaving OK.

"It's a 8-12 months recovery," Dr. Alan Beyer, an orthopedic surgeon and executive director of the Hoag Orthopedic Institute, told CBS Sports on Tuesday. "Usually closer to the year from what we've seen with other NBA players having this injury."

Bottom line: There's a chance, perhaps a good chance, that Durant will miss all of next season if indeed it is a full Achilles rupture. 

"Very tough to say. As we saw with Kevin and initial injury, everyone responds differently," Dr. Beyer told CBS Sports. "I will say this: When you're reconstructing an Achilles, to tension your repair exactly back to the link that it was before, it is very difficult to get that exactly right. Then, in the healing process itself, you get some scarring and you get some contraction of some tissue, so the tendon can wind up a little bit tighter than it started. 

"Now, in an everyday average person, this is fine, because you're only asking them to return to everyday functions like walking, regular jogging, just normal, non-explosive movements," Dr. Beyer continued. "In an NBA player who has to jump explosively and cut and move in quick bursts, that's a huge obstacle to overcome. And it's not just the straight vertical leap. If you lose just a tiny bit of your leaping, for instance, the shooting arc that you've used your whole life is actually a little bit destroyed. So it impacts everything. It can be a devastating injury. I mean you can count the guys who have had this injury and come back to be even close to what they were before. It's not many."
[Myers]"Wait, so he'll be ok for game 7?"[/Myers]

Winnipeg and Ottawa don't have other teams to cheer for?

There were 32 first-round picks in the 2017 NBA draft?

The Raptors have been around for 44 years?*

You learn all kinds of things in this thread.

*I know this joke is already tired...
That's why I said "kind of ottawa" because their hockey team is awful. 

I do keep forgetting that winnipeg got their hockey team back.  I don't follow nhl near as much as nfl/nba/mlb.

1. True, I don't know exactly what KD was thinking.  Neither do you.  All any of us are doing is speculating.  He has given us some glimpses into his psyche and decision making in the past through his actions and social media accounts.  Jalen Rose, someone with even more insight into NBA players than you or I, seemed to think a lot of why he played was due to social media pressure.  Based on all of that, it makes sense that there was some % of his decision being based on what other people think of him.  And honestly, history and human nature basically tells us exactly that as well.  And as far as what "people who ACTUALLY know KD are saying," why are they to be trusted 100%?  Is it not possible they are trying to spin it to make KD look good?

2. "Especially uneducated/experienced/etc."?  Howso?  Those fans have had pro sports in Canada their entire lives and have access to the same media you, I and every other fan does.  There is little to no difference from fan base to fan base, despite what people like to think.  There are idiots, trolls, fools, etc. at every arena around the US & Canada.  No one is condoning it, they are merely pointing out the fact that every single fan base would have reacted the same.  That's it.  Just don't hammer Toronto like they are beneath you as a whole.
I dunno, it's easy to jump to that conclusion.  But based on watching Steph and Bob's interviews, they seem pretty damn genuine and I don't for a second think they're lying or exaggerating things when it comes to KD.  You can get a sense that wasn't just BS.

And I'm not hammering Toronto like they are beneath me.  I'm Canadian and travel to Toronto 1-2 times a year as I have many friends there.  It's a great place.  But they have not had pro basketball there their entire lives, and there's a huge portion of our population who hates basketball and doesn't follow it (Or didn't until a month ago).  Millions all over the country are watching their first full Raptors games of their lives.  Not saying that's bad, but there's growing pains to go through and they don't know the sport as much as fans in American cities that have grown up with it.  There's some great Raptors fans and basketball fans in general up here.  Loads of them.  But the majority of people who are filling these watch parties wouldn't even be watching a game of the nba finals if the raps weren't in it.  So yes, the majority are uneducated and inexperienced compared to basketball fans in other cities. 

hahhaha I actually thought he was calling him Garfield too until you just pointed that out :P
it was confusing me because name shtick belongs to @Pick (though i myself have been known to steal it from time to time) and i could not figure out what the hell Garfield was supposed to mean

probably spent way too much time thinking about it but here we are

it was confusing me because name shtick belongs to @Pick (though i myself have been known to steal it from time to time) and i could not figure out what the hell Garfield was supposed to mean

probably spent way too much time thinking about it but here we are
Haha ya I was thinking the same thing, and also thought it was in reference to the cartoon cat.   Like "what the hell kind of insult is calling someone Garfield?".  But then it grew on me.  And now I want to start dissing people by calling them Garfield all the time.

I dunno, it's easy to jump to that conclusion.  But based on watching Steph and Bob's interviews, they seem pretty damn genuine and I don't for a second think they're lying or exaggerating things when it comes to KD.  You can get a sense that wasn't just BS.

And I'm not hammering Toronto like they are beneath me.  I'm Canadian and travel to Toronto 1-2 times a year as I have many friends there.  It's a great place.  But they have not had pro basketball there their entire lives, and there's a huge portion of our population who hates basketball and doesn't follow it (Or didn't until a month ago).  Millions all over the country are watching their first full Raptors games of their lives.  Not saying that's bad, but there's growing pains to go through and they don't know the sport as much as fans in American cities that have grown up with it.  There's some great Raptors fans and basketball fans in general up here.  Loads of them.  But the majority of people who are filling these watch parties wouldn't even be watching a game of the nba finals if the raps weren't in it.  So yes, the majority are uneducated and inexperienced compared to basketball fans in other cities. 
The Raptors have sold out every game and been top 5 in NBA attendance every year since 2015. 

Isola reported in The Athletic today that GS was going to offer a max contract with what I suppose was a gentleman's promise that he could opt out at any time.

He could really put the screws to GS if he opted in, rehabbed, and then bolted in a year.

Isola reported in The Athletic today that GS was going to offer a max contract with what I suppose was a gentleman's promise that he could opt out at any time.

He could really put the screws to GS if he opted in, rehabbed, and then bolted in a year.
What's the difference from GS perspective since he'd be making alot of dough in '19-'20 either way?  How they can operate this summer with all the other all stars they need to take care of?

What's the difference from GS perspective since he'd be making alot of dough in '19-'20 either way?  How they can operate this summer with all the other all stars they need to take care of?
I guess the difference would be that  they would pay him $30 million for nothing, rather than 30+ as an investment toward the future.

LET’S GET READY TO RRRRUMBLE!

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

Celtics and Lakers are engaged in trade talks with New Orleans on All-NBA star Anthony Davis, league sources tell me, @ZachLowe_NBA, @ramonashelburne and @WindhorstESPN. Lakers No. 4 pick has been discussed as trade chip to help Pels acquire high-level player in multi-team deals.

2:54 PM · Jun 12, 2019

LET’S GET READY TO RRRRUMBLE!

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

Celtics and Lakers are engaged in trade talks with New Orleans on All-NBA star Anthony Davis, league sources tell me, @ZachLowe_NBA, @ramonashelburne and @WindhorstESPN. Lakers No. 4 pick has been discussed as trade chip to help Pels acquire high-level player in multi-team deals.

2:54 PM · Jun 12, 2019
would love to hear the details of the trade negotiations. Like does Griffin and the Pels value the #4 pick higher than Tatum? Ainge seems to not make a trade unless it is overwhelmingly in the C's favor, so is he finally going to take a chance on a player or just continue to be ultra-conservative?

Rich Paul seems super professional

“They can trade for him, but it’ll be for one year,” Paul says. “I mean: If the Celtics traded for Anthony Davis, we would go there and we would abide by our contractual [obligations] and we would go into free agency in 2020. I’ve stated that to them. But in the event that he decides to walk away and you give away assets? Don’t blame Rich Paul.”

“Where he’s going to land? I have no idea. And it don’t matter. We’re going into free agency. Why does it matter to me where he goes? Earth: We’re going into free agency. He has a year, he has to play. But after that, I can’t say it no bigger: WE ARE GOING INTO FREE AGENCY. 2020: ANTHONY DAVIS WILL BE IN FREE AGENCY.”

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/06/12/rich-paul-klutch-sports-group-lakers-pelicans-lebron-james-anthony-davis

I thought players could only sign deals up to 5 years with their existing team and 4 year contracts with a new team (in reference to the statement that KD could have signed a 6-7 year deal).

As far as KD's status, plenty of people have reported that pretty much any team that was in on him prior to the injury is still in on him now, even if he is projected to miss the entire first year of the deal. Plenty of teams are said to be wiling to offer him a max contract. So I don't see where Durant "remains unsigned" in the first paragraph of this post. Technically, he can opt in and stay in GS for another year at $31.5M if he wanted.

So Durant could still most likely pick from: a 4 year, $164 million from another team, stay in GS for 1 year and $31.5 million, or potentially re-sign a super max deal with the Warriors for 5 years and $220 million. The average return time for an Achilles injury has been reported at 9 months (with more extreme cases taking a year).

It doesn't seem like great business sense to pay him $30+ million not to play next year, but it doesn't seem like teams are thinking that way.

Rich Paul seems super professional

“They can trade for him, but it’ll be for one year,” Paul says. “I mean: If the Celtics traded for Anthony Davis, we would go there and we would abide by our contractual [obligations] and we would go into free agency in 2020. I’ve stated that to them. But in the event that he decides to walk away and you give away assets? Don’t blame Rich Paul.”

“Where he’s going to land? I have no idea. And it don’t matter. We’re going into free agency. Why does it matter to me where he goes? Earth: We’re going into free agency. He has a year, he has to play. But after that, I can’t say it no bigger: WE ARE GOING INTO FREE AGENCY. 2020: ANTHONY DAVIS WILL BE IN FREE AGENCY.”

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/06/12/rich-paul-klutch-sports-group-lakers-pelicans-lebron-james-anthony-davis
It seems like you are being sarcastic, but trying to kill Boston's desire for Davis, thereby lowering la's leverage, is pretty sharp.

It seems like you are being sarcastic, but trying to kill Boston's desire for Davis, thereby lowering la's leverage, is pretty sharp.
I didn't say it was dumb or anything. In the article Paul himself said he wished things would have been handled better around the deadline. He's clearly a smart guy and he knows exactly what he's doing, it's just new and different. I probably came off as way more disparaging than I intended. The article is really good. 

I'm just glad someone in AD's camp is finally saying it. He's a rental for anyone other than the Lakers.
Celtics > back off
Pelicans > you should have taken L.A.'s initial offer of "everyone except Lebron".

I'm just glad someone in AD's camp is finally saying it. He's a rental for anyone other than the Lakers.
Celtics > back off
Pelicans > you should have taken L.A.'s initial offer of "everyone except Lebron".
Those quotes are from March, so it's not really anything new. 

LOL.  They could call that 30 times a game.  Or more.  Horrific call given how much BS doesn't get called in the final 2-3 minutes of most games.
It wasn't the moving part of the screen that drew the call imo.. it was throwing the shoulder.  Fairly blatant and easy call.

these teams crack me up how they think they are being slick with the media when it seems obvious to everyone else. LA reporting that what may hold up the trade is Lakers are hesitant to give up Kuzma:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2840786-lakers-trade-rumors-pelicans-want-kyle-kuzma-included-in-anthony-davis-package

so few months ago they want to offer whole team, now they try to play hardball? seems like a total joke and i can't understand if sports media is this gullible to believe stuff like this, or just want content and possible clickbait and could care less about putting anything with quality or credibility

these teams crack me up how they think they are being slick with the media when it seems obvious to everyone else. LA reporting that what may hold up the trade is Lakers are hesitant to give up Kuzma:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2840786-lakers-trade-rumors-pelicans-want-kyle-kuzma-included-in-anthony-davis-package

so few months ago they want to offer whole team, now they try to play hardball? seems like a total joke and i can't understand if sports media is this gullible to believe stuff like this, or just want content and possible clickbait and could care less about putting anything with quality or credibility
:confused:  It's a negotiation. Why give up more than you have to? Especially since the new Pelicans GM is more open to a trade than the last one? It's not that hard to understand, really.

So Durant's mom is coming to his rescue  now.

Could you imagine MJ or Bird or Magic's mom making these kinds of comments? 

Having my mom go around speaking up for me on talk shows and sending out tweets to fight off criticism would embarrass me when I was in seventh grade much less as a grown man. So freaking weird.

Can the Lakers afford a max FA if they trade for AD?

I'll hang up and listen.
$33mil left w AD in for Ball/Ingram. No one really left to renounce, only 6 players under contract (Kuzma, Hart both under $2mil)

So Durant's mom is coming to his rescue  now.

Could you imagine MJ or Bird or Magic's mom making these kinds of comments? 

Having my mom go around speaking up for me on talk shows and sending out tweets to fight off criticism would embarrass me when I was in seventh grade much less as a grown man. So freaking weird.
I don't remember Jordan's dad coming to his rescue probably because he was killed over his son's gambling debts... so yeah, I definitely see your point here.  This is easily your best post of the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread