What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 NBA Playoffs Thread: Toronto Raptors win NBA title #1.33 (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought players could only sign deals up to 5 years with their existing team and 4 year contracts with a new team (in reference to the statement that KD could have signed a 6-7 year deal).

As far as KD's status, plenty of people have reported that pretty much any team that was in on him prior to the injury is still in on him now, even if he is projected to miss the entire first year of the deal. Plenty of teams are said to be wiling to offer him a max contract. So I don't see where Durant "remains unsigned" in the first paragraph of this post. Technically, he can opt in and stay in GS for another year at $31.5M if he wanted.

So Durant could still most likely pick from: a 4 year, $164 million from another team, stay in GS for 1 year and $31.5 million, or potentially re-sign a super max deal with the Warriors for 5 years and $220 million. The average return time for an Achilles injury has been reported at 9 months (with more extreme cases taking a year).

It doesn't seem like great business sense to pay him $30+ million not to play next year, but it doesn't seem like teams are thinking that way.
because of the cap on the max salary and if a team expects him to be even close to what he was before, I think that it ends up being worth it.  The absolute best players are really worth ore than the max.

So Durant's mom is coming to his rescue  now.

Could you imagine MJ or Bird or Magic's mom making these kinds of comments? 

Having my mom go around speaking up for me on talk shows and sending out tweets to fight off criticism would embarrass me when I was in seventh grade much less as a grown man. So freaking weird.
She is da real MVP what else qould you expect?

Having my mom go around speaking up for me on talk shows and sending out tweets to fight off criticism would embarrass me when I was in seventh grade much less as a grown man. So freaking weird.
Jordan got his dad murdered, not sure he's an ideal example of a superstar athlete/parent relationship.

Isola reported in The Athletic today that GS was going to offer a max contract with what I suppose was a gentleman's promise that he could opt out at any time.

He could really put the screws to GS if he opted in, rehabbed, and then bolted in a year.
His biggest payday is  opting in this year with GS and then taking a max from them at the end of 19/20.

$33mil left w AD in for Ball/Ingram. No one really left to renounce, only 6 players under contract (Kuzma, Hart both under $2mil)
Wouldn't be crazy to see someone like reddick take a lot less.  D. Cousins too.

I'd tell b. Lopez we will sign ur brother too if u come.

Capella said:
A few years ago on father’s day I had a “Michael Jordan spends day wondering whether that game of cards was worth it” thread title but held back. 
Is that really the story? Damn I never heard that. Why isn't that common knowledge?

Jayrod said:
Could you imagine MJ mom making these kinds of comments? 
Probably not considering she didn't do anything when her daughter told her that the father was abusing her in the worst way possible

But man, I see why you are horrified Durant's mom defended him.

Jayrod said:

Why, because its his mom?  What about the players whose media mouthpiece is their dad, or uncle?  Just curious if the critique is because it is a female parent figure, or if all athletes who have older family members represent them in public share the same criticism.

Why, because its his mom?  What about the players whose media mouthpiece is their dad, or uncle?  Just curious if the critique is because it is a female parent figure, or if all athletes who have older family members represent them in public share the same criticism.
Yes, it is worse since it is his mom.  Our society places mom's on a pedestal and they receive special honor and Wanda has been the recipient of enormous praise and has a large following due to being "Mama Durant".  He gives her kisses courtside and she gets interviewed on Good Morning America as a result.

The flip side of that is her public protection from his critics makes KD look weak.  He has already made a career move that looked passive, he has shown immaturity through his social media and now his mom is making very public statements towards his critics.

Most people want their favorite athletes to be strong-willed, confident men because we like to be inspired by them.  Nothing inspiring about joining the team that you can't beat, trolling people on twitter and having your mom defend you against critics. 

Yes, it is worse since it is his mom.  Our society places mom's on a pedestal and they receive special honor and Wanda has been the recipient of enormous praise and has a large following due to being "Mama Durant".  He gives her kisses courtside and she gets interviewed on Good Morning America as a result.

The flip side of that is her public protection from his critics makes KD look weak.  He has already made a career move that looked passive, he has shown immaturity through his social media and now his mom is making very public statements towards his critics.

Most people want their favorite athletes to be strong-willed, confident men because we like to be inspired by them.  Nothing inspiring about joining the team that you can't beat, trolling people on twitter and having your mom defend you against critics. 
No offense GB but this seeks like a silly and antiquated viewpoint. It's not like the man is hiding behind is mom or something. Being secure enough in your masculinity and your place in your world to not concern yourself with outdated perceptions of gender roles and family dynamics IS being a strong-willed, confident man IMO.

The whole "I would have been embarrassed in the 7th grade!" line actually kinda drives home the point.  You're right of course- I would have been embarrassed about my mom acting like that when I was 13 too. But now that I'm an adult and a parent I'm secure and understanding enough that it wouldn't bother me. That shows growth, not immaturity.

No offense GB but this seeks like a silly and antiquated viewpoint. It's not like the man is hiding behind is mom or something. Being secure enough in your masculinity and your place in your world to not concern yourself with outdated perceptions of gender roles and family dynamics IS being a strong-willed, confident man IMO.

The whole "I would have been embarrassed in the 7th grade!" line actually kinda drives home the point.  You're right of course- I would have been embarrassed about my mom acting like that when I was 13 too. But now that I'm an adult and a parent I'm secure and understanding enough that it wouldn't bother me. That shows growth, not immaturity.
Honestly, thinking about it further, I think I would feel the same if it was his dad in the exact same spot.  But how many dad's are known as something like "Daddy Durant" and get invited to talk on Good Morning America simply due to their son?  Maybe James Jordan and Earl Woods, but they came across as trusted confidants and instructors.  Mama Durant has pretty much just been his mama.

She is there as a doting parent, not his agent or PR director.  I wouldn't want any of my parents trying to defend me in the public eye like that.

Daywalker said:
Wouldn't be crazy to see someone like reddick take a lot less.  D. Cousins too.

I'd tell b. Lopez we will sign ur brother too if u come.
The only hi-ticket FA who makes sense on a LBJ/AD Laker team is Kemba (or Kyrie, but he seems borough-bound). They'll have 8 slots to fill on min salaries if they sign another 30%er and don't have a point guard. Much as Klay or Jimmy Buckets seems a better fit, that leaves you with someone like Trey Burke bringing the ball up

The only hi-ticket FA who makes sense on a LBJ/AD Laker team is Kemba (or Kyrie, but he seems borough-bound). They'll have 8 slots to fill on min salaries if they sign another 30%er and don't have a point guard. Much as Klay or Jimmy Buckets seems a better fit, that leaves you with someone like Trey Burke bringing the ball up
Klay would make them the favorite, IMO.  You throw three guys who are all 2-way studs on the same team, you could put me at PG and win the championship.

But then again, I am a better shooter than LeBron, so there is that...

Klay would make them the favorite, IMO.  You throw three guys who are all 2-way studs on the same team, you could put me at PG and win the championship.

But then again, I am a better shooter than LeBron, so there is that...
I'd agree with this.  Miami won with Mario Chalmbers at the point.  While LeBron may want another player to play point guard at times to take the pressure off, when it really matters, the ball is going to be in his hand.  Klay is the perfect compliment to LeBron, a lights out spot up shooter who can create his own shot on a limited basis (ie, hold the fort down while James is off the floor) and a top notch wing defender.  That said, I see Klay staying in GS.

I'd agree with this.  Miami won with Mario Chalmbers at the point.  While LeBron may want another player to play point guard at times to take the pressure off, when it really matters, the ball is going to be in his hand.  Klay is the perfect compliment to LeBron, a lights out spot up shooter who can create his own shot on a limited basis (ie, hold the fort down while James is off the floor) and a top notch wing defender.  That said, I see Klay staying in GS.
Me too....in fact, I'd say it is one of the few certainties this offseason.

He likes it there and they helped build him into what he is today. 

Toronto fans/locals- I saw this in my twitter feed:

Blake Murphy‏ @BlakeMurphyODC

MLSE says they’ll make a decision on Jurassic Park re: weather at 5pm. If there’s a threat of severe weather, fans will be moved inside Scotiabank Arena for the game.
Did they not previously have viewing parties inside the arena for Conference Final/NBA Finals? If not, why not? That's pretty standard operating procedure for teams when they're on the road. I think the Blues had two last night- one at wherever the hockey team plays and one at Busch.

:goodposting:

Was about to post almost the same response until I read yours.

Toronto fans/locals- I saw this in my twitter feed:

Did they not previously have viewing parties inside the arena for Conference Final/NBA Finals? If not, why not? That's pretty standard operating procedure for teams when they're on the road. I think the Blues had two last night- one at wherever the hockey team plays and one at Busch.
Lots goes on inside that arena. Wouldn't be surprised if it was booked out other days. 

Plus, remember it's so cold in Canada that we have to take advantage of the few times in the year we can actually stand outside for 3 hours and survive. 

He did just say he would take less money to stay with the Hornets though.  Maybe he slipped and meant to say Lakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread