Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Flash1

Had a waitress chase after me as I left a restaurant last night

Backstory......

Went a local Pub and Grill. Friday night, we knew it would be busy, and were in for a wait. Waited about 35 inutes for a table, no problem.

We ordered an app and three entree's. App came out about 15 mins after we ordered. The place started thinning out and there were a lot of open tables now. 30 minutes, still no meal. 45 minutes still nothing. Waitress never came over once in that 45 minutes, would not look at us. I finally got her attention after two tables of people behind us who came in 20+ minutes after us had gotten their food. I asked what was going on and the first thing she said was that she had no clue , she defintiley put the order in. Told her we would take it go now as weweren't going to sit there anymore.

Got the food, paid and left her a 10% tip because I was pissed. As we got to the parking lot she comes running out babbling to me that because the kitchen was busy is not a reason to take it out on her service. I asked what service was that? You took our order and brought us 3 waters and a soda. The runner brought our app and even brought our order. You ignored us for the 50+ minutes we were waiting for our food, a good waitress would realize how long we were waiting and actually care a little. You completely ignored us until I flagged you down. She just kept saying how busy there were and she put our order in and shouldn't be punished for a slow kitchen......

One, she's lucky she got 10% and two, I seriously doubt she put our order in, which if she owned it and came to us during our wait offering a round of beers or to comp the app, we would ahve been fine with.

Tips are earned not owed

Happened to me one time in high school at a Denny's somewhere in Louisiana.  My friends and I had our meal and left, waitress came running out after us as we drove away and we headed to Florida.  We didn't leave her a tip nor did we pay for the meal.  Lesson learned. 

Edited by Osaurus
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1
  • Sad 1

If what you're describing is accurate, that's insane that she would run after you.  It's not like you gave her nothing.  You gave her 10% (which isn't even warranted TBH).  She should have at least communicated to you in some way while you were waiting so long.  That in itself would have earned her an appropriate tip.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, James Daulton said:

Balsey of her.  I say the 10% tip was perfectly reasonable given the circumstances you've described. 

Only in the US is it reasonable to give a waitress a 10% tip for NOT bringing you the food you ordered.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Happened to me one time in high school at a Denny's somewhere in Louisiana.  My friends and I had our meal and left, waitress came running out after us as we drove away, and we headed to Florida.  We didn't leave her a tip nor did we pay for the meal.  Lesson learned. 

Yeah this on the other hand is called stealing.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

Just now, fred_1_15301 said:

If what you're describing is accurate, that's insane that she would run after you.  It's not like you gave her nothing.  You gave her 10% (which isn't even warranted TBH).  She should have at least communicated to you in some way while you were waiting so long.  That in itself would have earned her an appropriate tip.  

100% accurate. One of my daughters sent a FB message this morning to the place outlining everything.

Alright, I mean I'll tip if somebody really deserves a tip. If they put forth the effort, I'll give them something extra. But I mean, this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned they're just doing their job.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, peaces said:

Alright, I mean I'll tip if somebody really deserves a tip. If they put forth the effort, I'll give them something extra. But I mean, this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned they're just doing their job.

Then you should support giving the full minimum wage to waitstaff, not the sub minimum 3 bucks an hour many states allow.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I don't know I guess I worked in the service industry to long not in the restaurant side though.  It is a tough business any aspect of it you work in.  A lot of times it is not the fault of the server for a late meal or even a surly attitude.  When I encounter a surly one I just figure they probably had more than one rude customer that they dealt with that day.  Though a truly veteran server or someone in customer service should be able to do deal with that.  Anytime you deal with people it can be tough.  I never tip less than 20% under any circumstance.  Servers work for next to nothing.  She should have never confronted you though.  She probably should look for another line of work because it seems she can't handle the stress of working with the public.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Then you should support giving the full minimum wage to waitstaff, not the sub minimum 3 bucks an hour many states allow.

Put it to a vote, I'll vote for it. But what I won't do is play ball. 

• Like 1

you should have chased her back around these parts we call that tag and it is one hell of a fun game and it burns carbs so bam cardio take that to the bank brohans

• Like 5
  • Laughing 2

You were very generous with 10%. That said, many places share tips with entire staff, or have others deliver the food, so I wouldn’t necessarily blame her for someone else delivering the food. 

32 minutes ago, rustycolts said:

I don't know I guess I worked in the service industry to long not in the restaurant side though.  It is a tough business any aspect of it you work in.  A lot of times it is not the fault of the server for a late meal or even a surly attitude.  When I encounter a surly one I just figure they probably had more than one rude customer that they dealt with that day.  Though a truly veteran server or someone in customer service should be able to do deal with that.  Anytime you deal with people it can be tough.  I never tip less than 20% under any circumstance.  Servers work for next to nothing.  She should have never confronted you though.  She probably should look for another line of work because it seems she can't handle the stress of working with the public.

You would have given this idiot 20%?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tom Skerritt said:

Also, servers usually get fired for confronting patrons. Especially if it’s about a tip. 

Yeah, it’s a huge no-no in the corporate restaurant world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rustycolts said:

Sorry, I worked in the industry too and I would NEVER let a table go unattended for 45 minutes. That is simply beyond unacceptable. Definitely underserving of ANY tip. He was more than generous leaving 10%. That fact she would even dare consider confronting hm over it... she needs to find other work, as you said.

• Like 3

a billion years ago i mean honestly like think we actually were listening to a philco in the back i worked at a diner and the wait staff stood  literally waiting for someone to even look at them and then they rushed over i think it just comes down to work ethic and frankly a lot of people just dont have one anymore take that to the bank bromigos 

• Like 1

and i should add that its not just in wait staff i see it on the floor i see it at department stores etc there is a large segment that just doesnt take pride in what they do now look i might not do anything fbg worthy and hey my paycheck shows it but i sure try to punch in and do my bit as good as i can every damned day and i try really hard to come in ahead of schedule and to be nice to everyone around me its just the path of the brohan to be the guy that people dont hate seeing the guy that holds a door or says hey i like your haircut or whatever instead of just feeling like everyone owes you something man i guess in the end if you cant be with the one you love brohan love the one with you with and just realize how good we all got it here where we dont wake up worrying about bombs falling on our heads i think we just get out of wack thinking about what we dont have versus what we do and then bam you end up chasing someone out in the to the parking lot when you got a tip despite doing a crappy thing all i am sayin is be a brohan and take pride in what you do take that to the bank bromigos 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
  • Thinking 2

They should have comp'd your meal--and in brutal honesty--she should have been the one contacting a manager fighting for your meal to have been comp'd.  I don't buy that it was not her fault and was the fault of the kitchen. As a server--she is the one that is communicating your order to the kitchen.  Her job is not only to manage her customers--but also to manage their orders with the kitchen.  If she ignored you for that long--she also ignored following up on your order with the kitchen--and that's what caused the entire problem.  You did not get service at the restaurant--your order effectively ended up being a take out order.  A 10% tip for a takeout order is plenty generous.  A 10% tip for a takeout order that took far longer than it ever should have is extraordinarily generous.   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, peaces said:

I mean she only refilled their coffee 3 times. 

Edited by Insein
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Flash1 said:

Backstory......

Went a local Pub and Grill. Friday night, we knew it would be busy, and were in for a wait. Waited about 35 inutes for a table, no problem.

We ordered an app and three entree's. App came out about 15 mins after we ordered. The place started thinning out and there were a lot of open tables now. 30 minutes, still no meal. 45 minutes still nothing. Waitress never came over once in that 45 minutes, would not look at us. I finally got her attention after two tables of people behind us who came in 20+ minutes after us had gotten their food. I asked what was going on and the first thing she said was that she had no clue , she defintiley put the order in. Told her we would take it go now as weweren't going to sit there anymore.

Got the food, paid and left her a 10% tip because I was pissed. As we got to the parking lot she comes running out babbling to me that because the kitchen was busy is not a reason to take it out on her service. I asked what service was that? You took our order and brought us 3 waters and a soda. The runner brought our app and even brought our order. You ignored us for the 50+ minutes we were waiting for our food, a good waitress would realize how long we were waiting and actually care a little. You completely ignored us until I flagged you down. She just kept saying how busy there were and she put our order in and shouldn't be punished for a slow kitchen......

One, she's lucky she got 10% and two, I seriously doubt she put our order in, which if she owned it and came to us during our wait offering a round of beers or to comp the app, we would ahve been fine with.

Tips are earned not owed

Having run restaurants my entire life I fire her that night.  Not because of the service, who knows what really happened, but because it’s 100% unacceptable to chase a customer down about a tip.  No if and or buts about it.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

They should have comp'd your meal--and in brutal honesty--she should have been the one contacting a manager fighting for your meal to have been comp'd.  I don't buy that it was not her fault and was the fault of the kitchen. As a server--she is the one that is communicating your order to the kitchen.  Her job is not only to manage her customers--but also to manage their orders with the kitchen.  If she ignored you for that long--she also ignored following up on your order with the kitchen--and that's what caused the entire problem.  You did not get service at the restaurant--your order effectively ended up being a take out order.  A 10% tip for a takeout order is plenty generous.  A 10% tip for a takeout order that took far longer than it ever should have is extraordinarily generous.   

If she's stupid enough to run after customers, let alone after the experience they just had, this is almost definitely on her. She's a mess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peaces said:

Ok Mr Pink.  You want to change your name too?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Insein said:

I mean she only refilled their coffee 3 times. 

4 times at minimum.  

Though some say he doesn’t need anymore coffee.  

• Like 1

Just now, dkp993 said:

4 times at minimum.  

Though some say he doesn’t need anymore coffee.  

One of the best things about sitting at counters is seeing how many refills you can get for your couple buck cup of coffee. Somebody always walking by with a pot.

18 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

She should have considered herself lucky that she got 10%. No way she should be chasing down a customer over a 5% loss.

people tipping 15% are cheapskates.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

Ok Mr Pink.  You want to change your name too?

How 'bout if I'm Mr. Purple? That sounds good to me. I'll be Mr. Purple.

• Like 2

On 4/13/2019 at 5:41 PM, matuski said:
On 4/13/2019 at 5:22 PM, [scooter] said:

She should have considered herself lucky that she got 10%. No way she should be chasing down a customer over a 5% loss.

And?

4 hours ago, Flash1 said:

You took our order and brought us 3 waters and a soda.

if she owned it and came to us during our wait offering a round of beers or to comp the app, we would have been fine with

doesn't add up. were y'all drinking last night? or no..

59 minutes ago, matuski said:

Said the American. Ten used to be standard, then 15. Now 20 is normal. By the time I go, 50% will be normal. 

I give what they deserve. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Apple Jack said:

You would have given this idiot 20%?

Yea.  When I go to breakfast by myself and my bill is under $10 I tip $5.  Just me though.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rustycolts said:

Yea.  When I go to breakfast by myself and my bill is under $10 I tip $5.  Just me though.

I'm at least 20% guy, too, but not for people like this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, culdeus said:

Girl got shot for doing that in this area not too long ago.  Very stupid to do this.  For what?  5 bucks?

that's freakin' terrifying. who was the patron? the Joker? how does that even happen

2 hours ago, Joe Mammy said:

Thank god when I owned a restaurant it was way before online reviews from stupid #####es.

What kind of restaurant did you own? How did you respond to customer complaints back then? Just from like, a quality management standpoint or whatever, when does customer feedback become a bad thing?

100% accurate. One of my daughters sent a FB message this morning to the place outlining everything.

Did anyone message her back? What did they say. Can you ask your daughter to copy/paste for us her original message to them? :popcorn: :yes:

53 minutes ago, Slider said:

Said the American. Ten used to be standard, then 15. Now 20 is normal. By the time I go, 50% will be normal. I give what they deserve. 

4 hours ago, comfortably numb said:

Only in the US is it reasonable to give a waitress a 10% tip for NOT bringing you the food you ordered.

What's the inferred idea behind the "American" aspect of the story? I don't get it. Which countries are y'all comparing it to? And what's the difference and how do you think this would play out in a different country..