What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

IDP prospects in rookie drafts (1 Viewer)

He's listed as LB on roto, too. MFL uses Fsharks now and they have him as DE so it will stay that way for now on MFL. Other host sites may vary.... still a solid hold as a DE. 

Who's this "they" you speak of?  The Colts page hasn't been updated for the 2019 season.

Was referring to ourlads specifically, who list him as the starting SLB.  "FFToday" has him listed as the team's #3LB. 
The they I guess was you saying SLB but I had to assume there was a ‘they’ you were referencing 

Colts.com roster says DE for Houston

rotoworld says DE

as the prior posts says Sharks says DE

also footballguys say DE

I understand the SLB concern but I’m fairly confident about DE

Last edited by a moderator:
Who's this "they" you speak of?  The Colts page hasn't been updated for the 2019 season.

Was referring to ourlads specifically, who list him as the starting SLB.  "FFToday" has him listed as the team's #3LB. 
Well he wasn't with them in 2018 so they explicitly added him at DE.

I'm pretty confident he'll remain at DE.  IND is a 4-3 team and he's a pure pass rusher and I don't think IND plays the Gus Bradley version of the 4-3 where the SAM is more of a pass rusher.

Colts are making second-round rookie Ben Banogu a full-time defensive end.

The Colts took a look at him at linebacker, but they'd rather have him develop as a pass rusher. The schemes will be different, but Banogu had a lot of success rushing the passer at TCU. In fact, Banogu led the Big 12 in quarterback pressures (60) last year. Banogu solidified a Day 2 pick with a 97th percentile SPARQ score at the Combine. There is upside if the Colts can morph him to their attacking defense.

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk on NBC Sports

Jun 25, 2019, 7:38 PM ET

The Colts took a look at him at linebacker, but they'd rather have him develop as a pass rusher. The schemes will be different, but Banogu had a lot of success rushing the passer at TCU. In fact, Banogu led the Big 12 in quarterback pressures (60) last year. Banogu solidified a Day 2 pick with a 97th percentile SPARQ score at the Combine. There is upside if the Colts can morph him to their attacking defense.

that d-line is pretty crowded now with Houston, Sheard, Turay, AQM, and others. 

Mac_32 I will be gobbling up Tavai everywhere I can later in drafts. I think he has the potential to replace Jarrad Davis at some point this year or at the very least be productive along side him. When you talk about regimes not having ties to guys.... it’s this regime that doesn’t have ties to Davis and that drafted Tavai at #43.

Devin White LB TB - Another obvious pick that will be the first LB off the board. Stud IDP for years. Gut punch for those of us hoping for a cheap steal when adding Deone Bucannon.
Devin White Draws Rookie of the Year Hype    

Devin White Draws Rookie of the Year Hype   Wednesday, Jul 10, 2019 09:23 AM

...  a combination of talent and a favorable situation in putting White at the top of his list of eight candidates. The analyst praises the Buccaneer rookie for his "speed, work ethic and football IQ," and believes that Tampa Bay's new defensive scheme and the personnel in front of White will work perfectly with his skill set.

"With Vita Vea and Ndamukong Suh up the middle for the Bucs, expect opposing running games to spill outside, which will play right into White's blazing chase-and-tackle speed (he ran a 4.42-second 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine)," Zierlein writes.

..."White has the talent and traits to fill up a number of stat columns on a regular basis, which will only strengthen his case."

...  White's first-round pedigree was also a factor in Zierlein's ranking, as he notes that the Indianapolis Colts' Darius Leonard was the first non-first-round pick to take the award home since 2006.

But not starting?  How's the starting lineup affected by this, if any?

with both Houston and Sheard locked in as starters? i don't see him as anything more than rotational 
Ok, good.  Sorry, I read that above post as them wanting to move Banogu into a starting role at first.  Threw me for a loop.  I need to get another cup of coffee. 

Ryan Wood‏Verified account @ByRyanWood

#Packers WR Davante Adams had big praise for first-round rookie safety Darnell Savage Jr.: "He’s going to be that guy – I can tell. We definitely got a steal. I know we got him early, but I still think that he could have gone even earlier just based on what he’s doing out there."

1:53 PM - 12 Jun 2019
Field Yates‏Verified account @FieldYates

Packers first round S Darnell Savage has been placed on the non-football illness list to begin training camp.

1:57 PM - 22 Jul 2019

-----------------------------------

He's fine, just had his wisdom teeth yanked.

-----------------------------------

Rob Demovsky‏Verified account @RobDemovsky

Just had his wisdom teeth taken out, I’m told. No football concerns here.

Field YatesVerified account @FieldYates

Packers first round S Darnell Savage has been placed on the non-football illness list to begin training camp.

2:15 PM - 22 Jul 2019

Report: Packers S Darnell Savage needed wisdom teeth pulled

...Savage, the 21st overall pick in the 2019 draft, could miss the first practice of training camp on Thursday morning, but the issue isn’t likely to keep him out of action long-term.

According to the Mayo Clinic, wisdom teeth are considered the third molars in the back of your mouth and often needed to be removed for various reasons. Surgery is usually completed at a young age to ensure an easier operation and faster recovery.

Packers rookies reported to camp on Monday, two days earlier than veteran players.

Despite being a rookie, Savage is expected to begin training camp as a starter on defense.

A name to file away for the future...

--------------------------------------

SHEESH CODY BARTON

Carroll: Ascending LB Cody Barton Shines, Seahawks 'Can't Hold Him Down'

Carroll: Ascending LB Cody Barton Shines, Seahawks 'Can't Hold Him Down'

Barton keeps turning heads in Seattle.

With Bobby Wagner returning to practice alongside veterans K.J. Wright and Mychal Kendricks, it won’t be easy for other players at the position to earn playing time defensively for the Seahawks barring injuries.

But while he may be relegated to special teams duty as a rookie, third-round pick Cody Barton continues to shine and according to coach Pete Carroll, he’s taken off right where he left off following an impressive offseason program...

Okereke should be good

I like where Okereke
He's been with the 1st team.

------------------------------------------

Daniel Bragg‏ @Daniel_Bragg

Rookie LB Bobby Okereke getting some run with the first team defense now. #ColtsCamp

7:53 AM - 31 Jul 2019

Day Seven Colts Training Camp Notebook:

...saw the Colts incorporate Bobby Okereke into easily his most ‘starting’ action of camp. Prior to Thursday, the Colts have used Anthony Walker at MIKE for the vast majority of starting reps. But Okereke recorded a couple of extremely loud hits, including one on Chester Rogers, in making sure his presence was felt. It’s always tough to judge where that line is with hitting/taking guys to the ground in camp. Well, Okereke was more than comfortable going to the edge of that line on Thursday.
Locked On Colts Podcast‏ @LockedOnColts

Bobby Okereke can cover ground quickly in space. Very reminiscent of Leonard. #ColtsCamp

7:38 AM - 31 Jul 2019

-------------------------------------------

Saw this about his background and 'possibly' why he wasn't a higher pick in the draft.

--------------------------

Colts LB Bobby Okereke calls sexual assault accusation against him four years ago 'untrue'

Rookie LB Bobby Okereke getting some run with the first team defense now. #ColtsCamp

Bobby Okereke can cover ground quickly in space. Very reminiscent of Leonard. #ColtsCamp

Saw this about his background and 'possibly' why he wasn't a higher pick in the draft.

Colts LB Bobby Okereke calls sexual assault accusation against him four years ago 'untrue'
These are the nuggets of training camp information that continues to have me checking this board. Thanks, Bracie Smathers!

Than you get to the 2 Donald maybe impact. Quinnen Williams and Ed Oliver both interesting.,either could be real good or useful. In DT required leagues, the value night increase
How Ed Oliver’s five days with Kyle Williams should pay dividends

👉...The three-technique position Oliver will play for the Bills is far different from the zero-technique nose tackle spot he played at the University of Houston, but his new role is far better suited to his skill set. 

NFL rookies turning heads at training camp

The first set of preseason games are set to begin. Who are some rookies that could be making a name for themselves early?

Tampa Bay Buccaneers LB Devin White

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers took a hit this offseason with the loss of linebacker Kwon Alexander. And while the team wished him nothing but the best on his way to San Francisco, they probably found his immediate replacement. It didn’t take long for rookie Devin White to make an impact on the Bucs’ defense. In fact, he’s been a standout early in camp.

LINK video clip

Grace Remington@GraceRemiWTSP

Are we sure he's a rookie? Tackling machine @DevinWhite__40 OWNED this series with back-to-back stops #Bucs #LSU

“The sky’ the limit,” Buccaneers coach Bruce Arians said according to AP.com’s Fred Goodall. “Let’s let him fail before we pull him back. See what he can’t do. Right now, he can do everything. So until he says: ‘Whoa, I can’t learn all this stuff or I can’t do that.’ I don’t think that’s ever coming out of his mouth, though, knowing him.”

Drawing early comparisons to greats such as Patrick Willis and Ray Lewis, White has already stepped into a leadership role for Tampa’s defense. With Lavonte David now injured, the former LSU standout is set to become the focal point of the team’s front seven. So far, he’s seemed to adjust to the limelight quickly in practice.

Tampa is hoping for a greater turnaround under Arians, who has been known for his ability to correct under-achieving quarterbacks. The offense could succeed, but it will be the defense that either elevates this team or holds them back. White is going to be a critical factor early.

Louis Riddick‏Verified account @LRiddickESPN

#Steelers rookie LB Devin Bush Jr’s first preseason game was just about perfect. Seriously. The tape is ridiculous.

6:07 PM - 11 Aug 2019

------------------------------------

5. Devin Bush might be the Defensive Rookie of the Year   

Yes, it’s early to make such pronouncements, but what Bush put on tape against the Buccaneers in a 30-28 win was quite the statement in and of itself. The Steelers did something they very rarely do: They traded up in the first round to take the Michigan star after a 2018 season in which the absence of Ryan Shazier was quite obvious. With 10 total tackles and seven solo takedowns, as well as a near pick-six, Bush proved right away that he’s the prototypical modern linebacker — able to do everything from challenging run fits to blitzing to dropping back in coverage. The future is now for a rookie with the talent, and the opportunity, to turn Pittsburgh’s defense around.
Steelers’ Devin Bush jumps into the lead for best odds to win Defensive Rookie of the Year

In odds updated after Week 1 of the preseason, Bush moves into the top spot

...In an article publish on Sunday, August 11 on Oddsshark.com, the odds courtesy of Bovodahave shifted to favor the Steelers first-round draft pick. After his debut on Friday, Devin Bush is now at 5/1 (+500) odds to bring home the DROY honor, matching Nick Bosa’s initial mark. With injuries keeping him out of the preseason and the fear they could linger into regular-season play, Bosa’s line has dropped to 15/2 which is still enough to keep him in second place. With the exception of Devin White remaining at 8/1, all other players previously in the top ten saw their odds making them less likely to win the award.

More of a 'project/sleeper' for dynasty development but a name I hadn't heard.

Sam Eguavoen, LB, Miami Dolphins

Sam Eguavoen, LB, Miami Dolphins

The Dolphins might have really found something in Eguavoen, a 26-year-old linebacker that played three years with the Saskatchewan Roughriders in the CFL, but this is in his first season in the NFL. Eguavoen shows obvious athletic ability in space and is at his best as a nickel or dime linebacker. That being said, he made play after play on Friday night near the line of scrimmage showing very good hand usage to disengage from blocks as well as extremely sound tackling. At a minimum, Eguavoen should be a core special teams player, but on a team looking for help in all areas, he might contribute much more in his rookie season.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't start over Kiko. It's just a matter of when. Buzz has been loud since July. Kiko's not a good football player. The buzz has not been favorable this summer. And this group has zero ties to him.

The question with Eguavoen is whether he'll be a three down guy. He's apparently been good in coverage and has that nickel role locked up, but I'm interested to see if he gets the early down/base work as well. If not, it could be a Jayon Brown rookie season kind of deal which would be frustrating. The other thing to consider is that the Dolphins will mostly only have 2 LBs on the field (like the Philly situation) and one of those will be Baker. So it could be a split between Eguavoen and Raekwon (and Kiko if he isn't cut).

He's been hyped and taking reps with the 1s over Raekwon all camp and Kiko has been injured so this isn't just smoke. He will play, they like him and he's looked very good. How much is the question. I'm cautiously optimistic he will be a solid 3rd or 4th starter in deeper leagues. 

Another Colts rookie linebacker has been making plays all over - E.J. Speed, and he will be getting playing time when the season starts

Users who are viewing this thread