What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Congressional divide (1 Viewer)

What’s the primary driver in the polarization?..

party

change in demographics 

change in peoples beliefs

migration - people moving from red to blue or the opposite

I’m probably missing a few items but this is what immediately came to mind. Interested in what others think.
A little info here 

https://www.people-press.org/2014/06/12/political-polarization-in-the-american-public/

Basically says most Americans are moderate but they aren't very vocal in politics. The people on the edges are rancorous,  passionate and very loud. 

Also I think the change in media plays a huge role. Now people can find news media that just supports and enflames their own political prejudices without ever being challenged. People used to get most of their news from ABC, NBC, CBS and well run journalistic newspapers/radio. Now people have so many partisan options and most of the big outlets have sacrificed journalism for better profit margins. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Also I think the change in media plays a huge role. Now people can find news media that just supports and enflames their own political prejudices without ever being challenged. People used to get most of their news from ABC, NBC, CBS and well run journalistic newspapers/radio. Now people have so partisan options and most of the big outlets have sacrificed journalism for better profit margins. 
Thanks. I figured something was missing but I agree that media has played a part in the polarization. 

This is a given.  It's not secret that you simply have to follow the money.
The lobbist play a part but they’ve been around long before the polarization so I believe it’s other factors.  Personally, I think media, the 2 parties and change in people’s are the main contributors...

The lobbist play a part but they’ve been around long before the polarization so I believe it’s other factors.  Personally, I think media, the 2 parties and change in people’s are the main contributors...
Yep so I have to wonder if there is also any level of moral degradation and more capitalistic POVs. Are lobbyists and Congress Men/Women more willing to sacrifice principles for profit than they were in the past? 

They've been around, sure. They are also contributing at all time highs. There's also no question that parts of the electorate believe it's dems vs repubs. 

They've been around, sure. They are also contributing at all time highs. There's also no question that parts of the electorate believe it's dems vs repubs. 
Yep, the ~20% who are strong right and the ~20% who are strong left don’t just disagree, they think the policies of the other side are destroying the country.

Yep, the ~20% who are strong right and the ~20% who are strong left don’t just disagree, they think the policies of the other side are destroying the country.
It would be an interesting exercise to put a layover chart on top of the ones in those links showing the amount of time politicians spend campaigning and looking for donations.  

https://gfycat.com/wellmadeshadowybergerpicard

In case you're wondering if this is "normal"
It is an interesting graphic, but one could make the argument that our current era actually is more "normal", and the real outlier was the New Deal Era, where you had a Democratic Party that consisted of Northern liberals and Southern conservatives, and a GOP made up of Northern liberals and Western conservatives. Eventually those coalitions proved unstable, as the liberals were all consolidated in the Democratic Party and the conservatives in the GOP.

Is this because of ideal shifts or definition of words though?  My ideals haven't changed all that much but based on the everyday use of the word "conservative", there's not a chance I'd fit that bill.  That wasn't true just 10 years ago.
My guess is it is a combination of both.

I would be interesting to see the population density of the districts some how represented on the chart.  I have a theory that much of the divide is rural vs urban.  People in NYC live such different lives then those in North Dakota that its not hard to imagine that how they vote would be drastically different as well.

Social media has pushed nuanced discussion of complex topics aside and replaced it with memes, zingers, and attention grabbing antics.  Given the migration to these sources for news, further polarization is inevitable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Social media has pushed nuanced discussion of complex topics aside and replaced it with memes, zingers, and attention grabbing antics.  Given the migration to these sources for news, further polarization is inevitable.
Because watching 30 second clips on TV news was too boring

Correlative or causational?

CNN was founded in 1980 and Fox News in 1996.  Obviously there are other players in this game, but I view these 2 as the biggest.  The divide in the graphic begins in the early 80s and is solidified in the mid 90s.  24-hour news shifted the focus from local to national and then the emergence of opinion talk shows shifted the focus from journalistic news to bias confirmation viewing.  The internet and social media has simply made access to and consumption of this kind of information quicker and easier.

I’m not gonna claim 24-hour news as the sole reason the divide occurred, but certainly a major factor

Correlative or causational?

CNN was founded in 1980 and Fox News in 1996.  Obviously there are other players in this game, but I view these 2 as the biggest.  The divide in the graphic begins in the early 80s and is solidified in the mid 90s.  24-hour news shifted the focus from local to national and then the emergence of opinion talk shows shifted the focus from journalistic news to bias confirmation viewing.  The internet and social media has simply made access to and consumption of this kind of information quicker and easier.

I’m not gonna claim 24-hour news as the sole reason the divide occurred, but certainly a major factor
There's no question that our "news media" is a huge player in this.  Have you ever paid attention to all the people whining about various echo chambers and the like?  They are also the ones that quote fox news, cnn, msnbc frequently as their goto sources.  FFS, they even extrapolate perceived "importance" of issues based on how the news media is covering issues.  It happens here all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread