What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Where were you when..." (Sports moments) (1 Viewer)

gianmarco

Footballguy
I mentioned this in the Masters thread as I think this is one of those times. Got me thinking of some of the most memorable sports moments I watched as they happened that have a similar feel.

-- Laettner's turn around jumper to beat Kentucky

-- Reggie Miller scoring 8 points in 8 seconds against the Knicks

-- OJ and the white Bronco

-- Jordan's jump shot against the Jazz

-- Game 6 of the 2011 World Series

-- Donovan's goal in the World Cup against Algeria

Whatcha got?

Same chair in my family room for the Cubs world series win, today's Tiger victory and a killer game of Family Feud a few weeks ago. 

'78 AL East playoff tie-break game, Yanks vs Sox.  Remember coming home from school and watching.  Back when kids could watch the end of games without staying up past midnight, thanks to the almighty ad dollar. 

As an 8-year old huge fan of Bucky Dent...to quote Chris Farley.."that was awesome".

My first sports memory is 

kirk Gibson's homerun in the world series. I remember exactly where I was, watching from the couch with my younger brother. 
Sitting in a bar at Lake Tahoe.  My buddy and I are big giants fans so we were pretty disgusted. Got really drunk that night

I remember where / what of this...

...I was at a KY bar - some of the TV's did not survive the night.

Another good sports memory of mine - @shuke may like it.

1990 World Series - after the sweep of game 4 - we decided to drive to Cinci - from Louisville - to party.

A few hours later, we in downtown Cinci - PARTY!

Then - around 2 am - all the bars give out last call. We were = WTF?! Looey was 4 am.

So - we wandered the streets until dawn - passed out in vehicle - drove home late that night.

Great time - but pansy bar hours - you guys really know how to slam!!!!

RIGHT!

I mentioned this in the Masters thread as I think this is one of those times. Got me thinking of some of the most memorable sports moments I watched as they happened that have a similar feel.

-- Reggie Miller scoring 8 points in 8 seconds against the Knicks

-- OJ and the white Bronco

-- Jordan's jump shot against the Jazz

-- Game 6 of the 2011 World Series

-- Donovan's goal in the World Cup against Algeria

Whatcha got?
Kirk Gibson homerun

Dale Earnhardt's death on the track

Does OJ and Al - scootin'  crawlin' down the freeway count as a "sports moment"?

Considering it is OJ's most memorable run, I vote yea.

I was watchin' live in my buddies apartment - drinkin' - smokin' - on pins & needles.

Weird.

You’re bringing up unhappy events. Yes I remember where I was, but I prefer to think about the feel good moments, like today. 

Like when the US Hockey team beat Russia. This country was united and happy. 
I got both covered.  These are more personal for me.

Scott Sisson's field goal in Charlottesville

Calvin Johnson's three touchdowns in Clemson including the game winner with :10 left.

Kenny Anderson's three pointer to beat Michigan State in the NCAAs

James Forrest's Miracle in Milwaukee.

The national ones are already mentioned.  Both happy and unhappy ones.  Unfortunately, people remember the bad.  Another where were you is Buster Douglas knocking out Mike Tyson

History has not been kind to the moment for obvious reasons, but Mark McGwire hitting number 62 on national TV in prime time against the Cubs was one of those moments. 

US beating Russia in ‘80
were you at the game or in another country?   If not, you did not get to see this live as the game was taped delayed in the US.

And even on tape delay, some of the game was chopped from the broadcast because ABC had some scheduling issues.

This is insane to think about today where everyone would have known the score instantly, but as long as you avoided the news programs or radio, most people did not know the result when watching on delay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea in the public consciousness that one doesn’t really register. I haven’t clicked your link yet and I still don’t know what you’re referring to. 
Well, even without being a fan of the teams involved, it is worth the watch. Being down to your last strike, not once but twice (9th inning and 10th inning) and then follow that with a walk-off homerun? In an elimination game. It was amazing sports theater.  

Also, same season, I completely forgot, was game #162 of the regular season. There will never be anything like it again. I remember watching all night just in awe. It still doesn't seem real.

'69 Miracle Mets winning the WS game 5 clincher

'72 Olympic murders

'72 Undefeated Dolphins winning the Super Bowl

'80 Miracle on Ice

Jordan's 63 at Boston in the playoffs

Jordan's winning shot vs Utah in his last Bulls game for the 6th title

'16 Cubs winning the WS

'85 Bears dominating NE to win the SB

'88 Catholics vs Convicts ND game

'91 ND beating FSU only to lose to Boston College

Many many more but those stand out right now

Detroit Red Wings / Colorado Avalanche BRAWL

This NHL rivalry was so much fun in the late ‘90s 

Never forget seeing Patrick Roy and the baby face Chris Osgood skate full speed (in goalie pads) and meet head on for a keeper fight at center ice.

awesome

Walter Ray Williams Jr.

"On September 24, 2006, Williams eclipsed Earl Anthony's then-recognized career record of 41 PBA regular tour titles with his 42nd win at the Dydo Japan Cup over Pete Weber in a 289–236 single game pinfall."

Malice at the Palace - Nov 19th 2004

At one of the 2 local bars in small town Romeo, couple buddies. Couldn’t believe how far that escalated. Really was a crazy scene - the whole bar was going nuts. Fun times.

Miss the hell out of that pistons team 
I hear they are about to demolish The Palace. 

Maybe they can leave behind a statue of Ron Artest being hit by a beer while lying on the scorers table.

Ok, here's a serious one. 

Muhammad Ali loss vs. Leon Spinks, as a 10-1 favorite, in 1978. Named upset of the year by Ring Magazine, Spinks was the only person to ever beat the Louisville Lip in a title match. 

My memory - I was at home watching with my pop. Also, this was the very 1st sports bet I ever made. It was considered a lock - in Louisville at least. 

I can't remember what pop spent my money on, but - to this day, I have not gambled on anything other than poker & fantasy football. 

Good lesson on odds, for a young me. 

Edit - oh, I also bet horses on Derby Week - just for fun. I sux - I lose - it's all planned for. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The Kordell Stewart Hail Mary in Ann Arbor

The Bartman game 

Aaron Boone

Laettner shot

Landon Donovan WC goal against Algeria 

I was in my room in 6th or 7th grade for Laettner. 

I was at the Reggie Miller game at MSG. Hate that guy. 

OJ was during the Knicks game so I remember that one. Stupid 

I was in my college house for Mcgwires HR with all the housemates watching. 

Also I don’t get why Tiger has the mass appeal. Isn’t he kind of a low life?
I don't understand it at all. The Tiger Woods thread is just pathetic to me, there must be someone more worthy of that kind of hero worship. Redemption angle I get, but maybe skip the DUI and serial cheating in the first place? I guess it just comes down to how in love people were with him in the first place.

As for this being a "where were you" moment, it's extreme recency bias in my opinion, don't see it being that kind of moment a few years from now.

I don't understand it at all. The Tiger Woods thread is just pathetic to me, there must be someone more worthy of that kind of hero worship. Redemption angle I get, but maybe skip the DUI and serial cheating in the first place? I guess it just comes down to how in love people were with him in the first place.

As for this being a "where were you" moment, it's extreme recency bias in my opinion, don't see it being that kind of moment a few years from now.
But he wins a lot, which counts a bunch, unless you are Duke, the Patriots or the Yankees. 

I got both covered.  These are more personal for me.

Scott Sisson's field goal in Charlottesville

Calvin Johnson's three touchdowns in Clemson including the game winner with :10 left.

Kenny Anderson's three pointer to beat Michigan State in the NCAAs

James Forrest's Miracle in Milwaukee.

The national ones are already mentioned.  Both happy and unhappy ones.  Unfortunately, people remember the bad.  Another where were you is Buster Douglas knocking out Mike Tyson
Was racking my brain to remember where I was for any of these. 

Holyfield v Tyson, that one I remember.  

Walter Ray Williams Jr.

"On September 24, 2006, Williams eclipsed Earl Anthony's then-recognized career record of 41 PBA regular tour titles with his 42nd win at the Dydo Japan Cup over Pete Weber in a 289–236 single game pinfall."
Stephen f Austin knocking off number 1 Vanderbilt for the women’s ncaa bowling championship.

last night.  My couch.

'78 AL East playoff tie-break game, Yanks vs Sox.  Remember coming home from school and watching.  Back when kids could watch the end of games without staying up past midnight, thanks to the almighty ad dollar. 

As an 8-year old huge fan of Bucky Dent...to quote Chris Farley.."that was awesome".
This is one of mine too, also 8 the time. Let us out early from school and I raced home to watch it on our ####ty tv. I was on the other side though. My lasting memory is my hero Yaz putting his head down and slamming his bat into the dirt as he popped out to Nettles in foul ground. Sucked. 

Users who are viewing this thread