What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Genrepalooza 3: Playlists are done, phwew (2 Viewers)

I'd like to get this started on Thursday and hopefully suck some people into the maelstrom of draft momentum.

If anybody has any suggestions about different categories, please feel free to throw them in.  From past drafts, I think less ambiguous categories work better both for civil discussion and cohesive mixes.
how amount metal/hardcore as category?

also maybe trap/soundcloud?

indie/alternative?

Last edited by a moderator:
how amount metal/hardcore as category?

also maybe trap/soundcloud?
I admit to zero knowledge of 21st century metal/hardcore.  Is there enough differentiation from rock and punk?    Are there enough drafters interested in it to make a decent mix?

Trap is kind of a sub-genre of rap/R&B.  If we split the huge Rap/R&B category in two, I think most Trap would fall on the R&B side.  But again, my opinions on this genre are unfounded.

I admit to zero knowledge of 21st century metal/hardcore.  Is there enough differentiation from rock and punk?    Are there enough drafters interested in it to make a decent mix?

Trap is kind of a sub-genre of rap/R&B.  If we split the huge Rap/R&B category in two, I think most Trap would fall on the R&B side.  But again, my opinions on this genre are unfounded.
I actually think you're right about trap. I also have little knowledge about 21st century metal/hardcore. Most hardcore falls under the post-hardcore/screamo genre for me. 

I actually think you're right about trap. I also have little knowledge about 21st century metal/hardcore. Most hardcore falls under the post-hardcore/screamo genre for me. 
So would hardcore be more punk than rock?  I just quick shuffled through a playlist called "Screamo/Post-hardcore/metalcore/emocore" and am none the wiser for it.

It would probably be easier to scrap this and reboot with only 20th century music :bag:

So would hardcore be more punk than rock?  I just quick shuffled through a playlist called "Screamo/Post-hardcore/metalcore/emocore" and am none the wiser for it.

It would probably be easier to scrap this and reboot with only 20th century music :bag:
Hardcore is generally its own genre now. What used to be hardcore/punk split up and became hardcore and punk with the advent of '90s breakdowns within the music. But more recently, as close as the aughts, most popular hardcore acts were actually post-hardcore (think Thursday, Taking Back Sunday, Touche Amore, La Dispute) and veered more towards screamo/emo.

So LBL makes a good point about the hardcore and metal category musically. Pure hardcore and metal have a lot in common since 1990.

But post-hardcore has more in common with punk/screamo

That's probably confusing, but is the best I can do.

Since you're going to live in the Pop house, any thought about NV's idea to add some chart requirements?

#1, Top Ten, Hot 100?

US only, US/UK, any country?
I'd like to hear what other people are listening to.  Sometimes, it's something that rocks my world.  I should know.  I plan on drafting some of it.

Just stick with what you have IMO. Trap is under Rap/R&B. Put hardcore/metal with punk. 

I have no idea what this means.
Just a genre of rap- dark, focused a lot on drug use and depression, lots  of synthesizers. Think it it like the emo rap movement. Soundcloud is website/app where people can upload their home-made music and is the source where many of the more successful and influential modern rap/trap artists have started out. 

Just a genre of rap- dark, focused a lot on drug use and depression, lots  of synthesizers. Think it it like the emo rap movement. Soundcloud is website/app where people can upload their home-made music and is the source where many of the more successful and influential modern rap/trap artists have started out. 
This is why I thought that it would be useful to have it represented during this particular time period.

but I will not make a federal case out of it.

i will let my attorneys handle that.

Since you're going to live in the Pop house, any thought about NV's idea to add some chart requirements?

#1, Top Ten, Hot 100?

US only, US/UK, any country?
We can keep it just pop, some of the best pop songs didn't hit #1 or come close, I'd only really push for number ones as a seperate category. 

Just stick with what you have IMO. Trap is under Rap/R&B. Put hardcore/metal with punk. 
I had a think on this (some tequila was involved) and had an epiphany. 

Discard the three previous rock-adjacent categories:  Rock, Acoustic and Punk/Emo.  Replace them with three new rock-adjacent categories:  Quiet, Loud and LOUDER.  

• Quiet includes Acoustic but also other soft rock regardless of instrumentation.  So stuff like Dream Pop, Chillwave, Chamber Pop, etc. would fit here.
  • Loud is the default category for music made mostly by and for Caucasians during the first two decades of the millennium
  • LOUDER is the old Punk/Emo category plus Metal, Death Metal, Screamo, Black Metal, Noise Rock, Hardcore and any song sung by Cookie Monster.
Simply put, Quiet is "Yesterday", Loud is "Paperback Writer" and LOUDER is "Helter Skelter".   I think the revised categories are more inclusive and will make for better mixes.

In other developments, Rap and R&B have been split and Remixes are no longer a separate category.  Sorry if you scouted some great remixes but hopefully they'll work under Dance/Electronica.

Finally, the cutoff date for the Old Fart category has been moved from 1985 to 1990.  So Chinese Democracy is fair game.

I had a think on this (some tequila was involved) and had an epiphany. 

Discard the three previous rock-adjacent categories:  Rock, Acoustic and Punk/Emo.  Replace them with three new rock-adjacent categories:  Quiet, Loud and LOUDER.  

• Quiet includes Acoustic but also other soft rock regardless of instrumentation.  So stuff like Dream Pop, Chillwave, Chamber Pop, etc. would fit here.
  • Loud is the default category for music made mostly by and for Caucasians during the first two decades of the millennium
  • LOUDER is the old Punk/Emo category plus Metal, Death Metal, Screamo, Black Metal, Noise Rock, Hardcore and any song sung by Cookie Monster.
Simply put, Quiet is "Yesterday", Loud is "Paperback Writer" and LOUDER is "Helter Skelter".   I think the revised categories are more inclusive and will make for better mixes.

In other developments, Rap and R&B have been split and Remixes are no longer a separate category.  Sorry if you scouted some great remixes but hopefully they'll work under Dance/Electronica.

Finally, the cutoff date for the Old Fart category has been moved from 1985 to 1990.  So Chinese Democracy is fair game.
So count me in for LOUDER as home then? 

eta* I liked acoustic, punk/emo, rock, metal/hardcore better, btw. I think that is the tequila talking, my friend. 

So count me in for LOUDER as home then? 

eta* I liked acoustic, punk/emo, rock, metal/hardcore better, btw. I think that is the tequila talking, my friend. 
Me too, but I'm down for however E wants to structure this.

@Eephus - whatever we decide on, can you make sure to update the OP? I've kinda completely lost track of what the groupings are supposed to be now.

I have no idea what this means.

Can we just call it "Face Tattoo" and call it a day?

OK.  Vox populi, vox dei. 

Third and final category revision

1. Rock:  Default category for an archaic form of music that was popular among Caucasians in the late 20th Century
  2. Rap:  Hippity hop
  3. R&B:  includes Neo Soul and Trap if that's your jam
  4. Country:  Lil Nas X and a bunch of folks with cowboy hats
  5. Dance/Electronic:  Thump thump thump thump thump (now with remixes)
  6. Punk/Emo/Hardcore/Metal/Screamo/Cookie Monster/Grover
  7. Acoustic/Folk/Folktronica/Chillwave/Dream Pop/Kermit/Beaker
  8. Pop:  No specific chart requirements but it should sound poppy
  9. None of the Above:  Catch-all category including Jazz, International, Classical, Spoken Word, etc.
  10. Female:  Principal singer was born with two X chromosomes
  11. Covers:  A cover version of a song originally performed by another artist
  12. Old Fart:  21st Century song by an artist who released a record prior to 1985

Is dream pop actually a subset of "acoustic/folk" or just shtick?  Just asking for a friend
Dream pop songs are officially part of category #7 but since it's kind of a made-up label, there's nothing stopping you from drafting them in category #1.

Here's who's in so far

Eephus
NV
Mr. Irrelevant - Female
Dr. Octopus - Country
rockaction - Punk etc.
Mrs. Rannous - Pop
Ilov80s Rap or R&B
Abrantes - Rock
Man of Constant Sorrow - None of the Above
Scott Tenorman
Steve Tasker
The Dreaded Marco - Rock
Mr. Ected
Long Ball Larry
sn0mm1s

As for draft order, I'm going to split people into two pots:  those who are itching to go (e.g. Ilov80s, Dr. Octopus) and those who are totally unprepared (e.g. me). 

If you want to be the early pot, just say so and confirm your home category.  I'll roll for draft order in an hour or so with priority given to the itchy folks.

Hmmm...trap separated from rap? Now I don't know what to take for home. 
The trap I've listened to sounds more R&B to me.  I thought you agreed yesterday so I put it with R&B when the category was split.

Including trap with rap isn't going to break the draft.  If you feel strongly about it, we can move it.

Users who are viewing this thread