What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Genrepalooza 3: Playlists are done, phwew (1 Viewer)

I've seen Arcade Fire 7 or 8 times.  This was the first song they played at the first show I saw.  It was at Coachella 2005, 7 months after Funeral was released.  They got the 1 p.m. slot on the outdoor stage.  It was 99 degrees.  Usually the 1 pm/outdoor stage bands have a couple hundred hard core fans and some stragglers in the vicinity.   This venue was packed liked sardines, 200 rows deep.  Me and  @The Andalusian Dog ( :missing: ) had arrived early and were in row 4.  It was a fantastic show--none of the subsequent shows have topped it for me.

Arcade Fire - Wake Up (2004)

I've seen Arcade Fire 7 or 8 times.  This was the first song they played at the first show I saw.  It was at Coachella 2005, 7 months after Funeral was released.  They got the 1 p.m. slot on the outdoor stage.  It was 99 degrees.  Usually the 1 pm/outdoor stage bands have a couple hundred hard core fans and some stragglers in the vicinity.   This venue was packed liked sardines, 200 rows deep.  Me and  @The Andalusian Dog ( :missing: ) had arrived early and were in row 4.  It was a fantastic show--none of the subsequent shows have topped it for me.

I have a story for this one too, that probably most people have had a variation of at an Arcade Fire concert. I saw them on The Suburbs tour in 2010 on Toronto Island with Janelle Monae and The Sadies opening. The show was really great all around, the situation for getting off the island after was not... about 2 hours waiting for a water taxi or ferry, those were the only two options. The vast majority was spent by the thousands of people waiting ooooooh - oh - ooooh - ooooh this song to pass the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mentioned in the concert thread a while back that this guy was coming to my little city to play our hockey arena and I might not be able to pass up tickets. Well, I did and then tonight one of my friends sends me a message saying he's got two extra tickets in the private box, do I want one. Well, of course I do.

Afterhours - Snoop Dogg - Drop It Like It's Hot - Rap

I'm not an expert on chillwave, Tasker can let me know if this qualifies, maybe it's darkwave? :lol:  , if not, great pop song anyway.

Afterhours - MS MR - Hurricane - somethingwave
I wouldn't really call this "chillwave" on a strict definition, but :shrug:  .  One of those bands I always feel like I should like more, but I've never really been able to get into more than a handful of songs (including this one).

Another one, I meant to pick during the draft at some point but just didn't quite get to. He's in the old fart category for sure but you have to admire how he's stayed relevant for such a long period of time.

My MySpace page is all totally pimped out
Got people beggin' for my top eight spaces
Yo, I know pi to a thousand places
Ain't got no grills, but I still wear braces
I order all of my sandwiches with mayonnaise
I'm a wiz' at Minesweeper, and I play for days
Once you've see my sweet moves, you're gonna stay amazed
My fingers movin' so fast, I'll set the place ablaze

There's no killer app I haven't run (run)
At Pascal, well, I'm number one (one)
Do vector calculus just for fun
I ain't got a gat, but I got a soldering gun (What?)
Happy Days is my favorite theme song
I could sure kick your butt in a game of ping pong
I'll ace any trivia quiz you bring on
I'm fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon

Afterhours - 'Weird Al' Yankovic - White and Nerdy - Old Fart

I mentioned in the concert thread a while back that this guy was coming to my little city to play our hockey arena and I might not be able to pass up tickets. Well, I did and then tonight one of my friends sends me a message saying he's got two extra tickets in the private box, do I want one. Well, of course I do.

Afterhours - Snoop Dogg - Drop It Like It's Hot - Rap
Fo shizzle my nizzle

My buzzy festival band story is nothing like 200 rows deep but the first time I saw PUP was at Riot Fest Toronto (R.I.P.) in 2014. I had never heard a single song by them and I'm not sure the self-titled was even out... but that day there was major (Toronto) hype. Their set time got moved back by like 45 minutes and then it got moved to a bigger stage, I didn't know WTF was going on but I knew with all the people talking about them, I should probably go and check them out. It was a rowdy, rowdy crowd and I stood at the back and watched all the people in the know go ape. 

It actually isn't my favourite time seeing them, because once I knew them better (and once the second album was out and they could better fill a setlist) and could singalong with every word and join everyone going crazy, I liked it even more, but that first time was something.

Afterhours - Dark Days - PUP - Punk

The categories for the weekend are bookends:

song from 2000

or

song from 2019

Some of this and some of that. And by "that" I mean the Covers category.

You know what? I'm gonna go ahead and replace my cover from last night. I've only fallen out of my chair laughing while watching something about four times in my life, and the first time I saw this video was one of them. The congruence of the song, the original artist, and the video ....  :lmao:

Genre: Covers / After Hours

20.09 - Dynamite Hack - "Boyz-n-da-Hood" (2000)

Another one, I meant to pick during the draft at some point but just didn't quite get to. He's in the old fart category for sure but you have to admire how he's stayed relevant for such a long period of time.

My MySpace page is all totally pimped out
Got people beggin' for my top eight spaces
Yo, I know pi to a thousand places
Ain't got no grills, but I still wear braces
I order all of my sandwiches with mayonnaise
I'm a wiz' at Minesweeper, and I play for days
Once you've see my sweet moves, you're gonna stay amazed
My fingers movin' so fast, I'll set the place ablaze

There's no killer app I haven't run (run)
At Pascal, well, I'm number one (one)
Do vector calculus just for fun
I ain't got a gat, but I got a soldering gun (What?)
Happy Days is my favorite theme song
I could sure kick your butt in a game of ping pong
I'll ace any trivia quiz you bring on
I'm fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon

Afterhours - 'Weird Al' Yankovic - White and Nerdy - Old Fart
I can't believe I got sniped at the After Party.

Okay, late night on Friday night for a West Coaster. No meeting tomorrow, I just woke up from passing out at eight. I'm so old.

Round: ilov80s Choice/Sadie Hawkins Chance

Genre - Song of 2000

Artist - De La Soul ft. Redman

Song - Oooh!

If you never been shot or stabbed in Brick City/go Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! Oooh!

I didn't know this came out in 2000, or it easily would have made the hip hop mix. Now this was my jam that year. I was twenty-six or seven and on top of the WORLD, muthas. Livin' in D.C., rooftop deckin' it. This song would come on and I'd go nuts. 

Round: ilov80s Determinant/Doing It For The Kids

Genre - Song of 2019

Artist - 21 Savage ft. J. Cole

Song - a lot

Question: How many faking their streams?/Getting they plays from machines?/I can see behind smoke and mirrors/[Dudes] aren't as big as they seem...I don't want no more comparisons/this is a marathon

This song came out on January 8, 2019, according to Wiki, our official arbiter of all things Genrepalooza™. The album came out in 2018, so I think the rules are cool with it. I haven't got it out of my head since it showed up in the ***Official*** Rap/Hip Hop Discussion Thread, which I'd encourage you all to check out and contribute to if that's your sort of thing. This is a @Majorspecial in the rec. J. Cole absolutely kills his surprise guest piece, which 21 Savage calls "the verse of the year." He's right. He's so right and J. Cole's so right about the disparity between him and the modern trap rappers that 21 left Cole's verse off of the album and single audio, if I'm not mistaken, but not the viddy. So there's a lot of moving parts here, but I'm going with this song, this year, this video version.

Last edited by a moderator:
rockaction said:
Okay, late night on Friday night for a West Coaster. No meeting tomorrow, I just woke up from passing out at eight. I'm so old.

Round: ilov80s Choice/Sadie Hawkins Chance

Genre - Song of 2000

Artist - De La Soul ft. Redman

Song - Oooh!

If you never been shot or stabbed in Brick City/go Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! Oooh!

I didn't know this came out in 2000, or it easily would have made the hip hop mix. Now this was my jam that year. I was twenty-six or seven and on top of the WORLD, muthas. Livin' in D.C., rooftop deckin' it. This song would come on and I'd go nuts. 

Round: ilov80s Determinant/Doing It For The Kids

Genre - Song of 2019

Artist - 21 Savage ft. J. Cole

Song - a lot

Question: How many faking their streams?/Getting they plays from machines?/I can see behind smoke and mirrors/[Dudes] aren't as big as they seem...I don't want no more comparisons/this is a marathon

This song came out on January 8, 2019, according to Wiki, our official arbiter of all things Genrepalooza™. The album came out in 2018, so I think the rules are cool with it. I haven't got it out of my head since it showed up in the ***Official*** Rap/Hip Hop Discussion Thread, which I'd encourage you all to check out and contribute to if that's your sort of thing. This is a @Majorspecial in the rec. J. Cole absolutely kills his surprise guest piece, which 21 Savage calls "the verse of the year." He's right. He's so right and J. Cole's so right about the disparity between him and the modern trap rappers that 21 left his verse off of the album and single audio, if I'm not mistaken, but not the viddy. So there's a lot of moving parts here, but I'm going with this song, this year, this video version.
Love it. I think we talked about this one too when we were discussing the best rappers alive. I think you said this this was the one of the sharpest diss track last you’ve heard in a long while.

Love it. I think we talked about this one too when we were discussing the best rappers alive. I think you said this this was the one of the sharpest diss track last you’ve heard in a long while.
I think that was you that pointed it out and then I listened to 1985 off of KOD. If you check the old thread, I'm sure that's what it was. But no matter...he slays Soundcloud rappers on this track, too. 

Northern Voice said:
I have a story for this one too, that probably most people have had a variation of at an Arcade Fire concert. I saw them on The Suburbs tour in 2010 on Toronto Island with Janelle Monae and The Sadies opening. The show was really great all around, the situation for getting off the island after was not... about 2 hours waiting for a water taxi or ferry, those were the only two options. The vast majority was spent by the thousands of people waiting ooooooh - oh - ooooh - ooooh this song to pass the time.
AF fan as well.  Win has been DJing (Windows 98) at a friends bar the last two weekends.  Not a huge place, no cover, etc so that's been pretty cool.  Nice guy.  

May spotlight tonight 🍸
Cool.

Guys & gal, I really want to apologize for not picking anything since the official end.

Btw: thanks a whole lot @Eephus - my first draft was an awesome experience.

Anyways, with Otb comin' back, I got sidetracked to gettin' all my Oaks Day stuff uploaded and recounted.

Also, I am still not sure what chillwave is - I will learn. I don't know if I will have time to research any picks tonight, but I will try and follow what is going on.

Spreadsheet updated to the end of page 35.

I think most of the songs posted since have been Non-palooza picks.

I'm going to try something different for 2000 and 2019

Lambchop - Grumpus (2000)

Lambchop - Everything for You (2019)

19 years is a long time in music.  Lambchop released their first album in 1994 and have put out a dozen since.  They've cycled through a lot of musicians but the core of frontman Kurt Wagner, Tony Crow on keys and Matt Swanson on bass has been stable for at least two decades.

Their sound was always tough to pigeonhole.  Wikipedia lists them as Alt-Country, which was somewhat true when the earlier song came out.  Grumpus has kind of a Countrypolitan feel about it but there's more than a little Soul.

They took a stylistic turn a couple of records ago.  The string and horn arrangements have been replaced by synths and drum machines.  Wagner's vocals are now heavily processed but still delivered in his inimitable style.  It's an interesting effect that ebbs and flows throughout the album.  I'm not sure what Wagner is trying to say with the band's new synthetic sound.  He's always been kind of an odd duck. 

Lambchop - Grumpus (2000)
This began with a jazz feel to me - and kinda of a soulful feel as the lyrics come in. 

It also feels older to me - it has a late 70's groove to it - imo.

Honestly, I don't sense much country in it; but I know very little about country - especially alt-country.

I like it very much.

Yeah - lots more modern from 1st beat.

Still has a jazzy feel to the keyboard in beginning.

The vocal effects I like - kinda psychedelic / dreamy - and the way it inter-plays with the piano and drum machine (?) or actual drums (?) is very interesting.

I like this better than the first one.

If any of my comments are off base, let me know - this is how I learn.

Thnx. 

This began with a jazz feel to me - and kinda of a soulful feel as the lyrics come in. 

It also feels older to me - it has a late 70's groove to it - imo.

Honestly, I don't sense much country in it; but I know very little about country - especially alt-country.

I like it very much.

Yeah - lots more modern from 1st beat.

Still has a jazzy feel to the keyboard in beginning.

The vocal effects I like - kinda psychedelic / dreamy - and the way it inter-plays with the piano and drum machine (?) or actual drums (?) is very interesting.

I like this better than the first one.

If any of my comments are off base, let me know - this is how I learn.

Thnx. 
I'm not sure what to make of Lambchop's late career direction.  I like that Wagner continues to innovate as he approaches age 60 but the autotune FX are kind of jarring.  I guess all the synths are new toys to play with and allows the band to produce rich recordings without having to bring in Nashville session players like they used to

Here is a spotlight pick(s) that I recently posted in @shuke 's 1001 Dalmatians thread:

Spotlight

Highly Suspect - Bloodfeather

Bonus: Highly Suspect - "BATH SALTS"

This is from their 2015 album Highly Suspect - Mister Asylum [Audio Only]

Ok, is that much allowed during a spotlight --- an entire album basically?

Lol - sorry.

I'm not sure what to make of Lambchop's late career direction.  I like that Wagner continues to innovate as he approaches age 60 but the autotune FX are kind of jarring.  I guess all the synths are new toys to play with and allows the band to produce rich recordings without having to bring in Nashville session players like they used to
Thanks, Eep.

Makes sense to me.

2000: The Hives- Hate To Say I Told You So

one of the great garage rock songs of the era 
I have to admit, that what little I know of The Hives, did not come naturally to me at first.

I am now a fan. I don't know why it took me so long, since I like such a wide range of stuff.

My theory has always been that music vibrates in each individual differently - and that I was just not a good Hives receptor.

I dunno - what ever it is, I am tuning in better now.

Users who are viewing this thread