Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
supermike80

What is the least American State?

Since we are discussing the most American...

I say California.

Overcrowded in many places, poisonous air, ungodly traffic, earthquakes, and taxes that make everything ridiculously expensive.

Oh and that "american dream" of owning a home?  Good luck with that in California.

Edited by supermike80

28 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

North Dakota. They're the superfluous Dakota.

I would imagine my ancestors who settled in North Dakota would take issue with that. :hophead:

Why are their two Dakotas? Not surprisingly, part of the reason was to give Republicans more power in the Senate.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dakota_Territory

The territorial capital was Yankton from 1861 until 1883, when it was moved to Bismarck. The Dakota Territory was divided into the states of North Dakota and South Dakota on November 2, 1889. The admission of two states, as opposed to one, was done for a number of reasons. The two population centers in the territory were in the northeast and southeast corners of the territory, several hundred miles away from each other. On a national level, there was pressure from the Republican Party to admit two states to add to their political power in the Senate.[6]:100–101

Edited by squistion

32 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Oh and that "american dream" of owning a home?  Good luck with that in California.

There is no one in California that owns their home?

• Love 1

33 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

I say California.

Overcrowded in many places, poisonous air, ungodly traffic, taxes that make everything ridiculously expensive.

Hard to argue

Hawaii.   Many of the natives never wanted statehood to begin with.   The disconnect from the mainland makes them very disconnected from mainstream America.   Different way of life and a different way of thinking in the islands.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Godsbrother said:

There is no one in California that owns their home?

Probably more people own a home in Cali than any other State and their houses are probably worth more than anywhere else but don’t let that interfere with the point he’s trying to make.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

I say California.

Overcrowded in many places, poisonous air, ungodly traffic, taxes that make everything ridiculously expensive.

You sound like someone who has never lived in California.

• Like 2

Just now, -fish- said:

Hawaii.   Many of the natives never wanted statehood to begin with.   The disconnect from the mainland makes them very disconnected from mainstream America.   Different way of life and a different way of thinking in the islands.

Pretty obvious answer imo 

3 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

I think my reasons stand up to scrutiny

Not really. The first reason being California has more Americans than any other State so it’s hard to call it the least American State. 

Just now, supermike80 said:

Visited many times..Wouldn't want to live there....

It was obvious from your post.  Surprised you didn't complaint about earthquakes as well.   

Just now, -fish- said:

It was obvious from your post.  Surprised you didn't complaint about earthquakes as well.   

You're right.  I edited my post.  Why such a big fan of Calif?  Do you live there?   

3 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Not really. The first reason being California has more Americans than any other State so it’s hard to call it the least American State. 

So population is the #1 qualifier in your opinion?  See, it isn't mine

1 minute ago, supermike80 said:

So population is the #1 qualifier in your opinion?  See, it isn't mine

Not #1 but it’s enough to keep Cali out of 50th place.

Like I don’t think Emmitt Smith having the record for most rushing yards  makes him the best RB ever but it certainly prohibits anyone from calling him the worst.

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 1

Meh..I see overpopulation as a negative, not a positive.  

Cali isn’t even in the top 10 States for population density 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Meh..I see overpopulation as a negative, not a positive.  

Kinda gave away the game here when you casually switched from discussing "least American" to discussing "negative vs positive" here, GB. 

After all there's plenty of things that are both negative and very much "American." Like for example air pollution, traffic and people not being able to afford home ownership.

• Like 2

As I said, population isn't my main qualifier.  if it's yours, then kudos.

Why are earthquakes un-American?

29 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:
30 minutes ago, -fish- said:

Pretty obvious answer imo 

:goodposting:

We can shut this fishing trip down and move on to the next one :thumbup: 

Edited by The Commish
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, -fish- said:

I will have to agree...I would put Hawaii as #1

1 minute ago, The Commish said:

:goodposting:

We can shut this fishing trip down and move on to the next one :thumbup: 

How is this fishing?  It's a legit question.  What is the least American state in your opinion.  I picked California.  And then someone said Hawaii, which I hadn't considered, but I agree is a good choice.  What am I fishing for?  Is everyone here from California or something?  Why do you guys get so argumentative?

4 minutes ago, Dickies said:

How do any of those things make a place un-American?  I don't get it.  Is Washington DC one of the least American cities?

Washington DC is not a city. It's a federal district.

How is this fishing?  It's a legit question.  What is the least American state in your opinion.  I picked California.  And then someone said Hawaii, which I hadn't considered, but I agree is a good choice.  What am I fishing for?  Is everyone here from California or something?  Why do you guys get so argumentative?

Giving an opinion <> argumentative.

I gave you my opinion...you quoted it and everything.  Aren't you the guy that goes around lecturing others on how they should read posts or some such?

1 minute ago, The Commish said:

Giving an opinion <> argumentative.

I gave you my opinion...you quoted it and everything.  Aren't you the guy that goes around lecturing others on how they should read posts or some such?

You failed to answer how it is fishing.  Wanna try again big fella?

3 minutes ago, John Blutarsky said:

Washington DC is not a city. It's a federal district.

I don't know who learned you that, but it's not either/or...it's absolutely a city.

no...it would be like trying to explain how water is wet or the sun is hot to someone who refused to accept that they were.....I don't have that kind of time

1 minute ago, John Blutarsky said:

It's called the District of Columbia. Google it.

I did  :shrug: 

ETA:  If you don't like an encyclopedia as proof, there are hundreds of links beside that one stating the same thing...pick whichever one you want.

Edited by The Commish

First of all it is all subjective what makes something more American or less American but beyond that you choosing Cali and using that link as proof is the same as me saying “I chose Texas Tech to win the NCAA tourney and I was right.”

2 minutes ago, The Commish said:

I did  :shrug: 

ETA:  If you don't like an encyclopedia as proof, there are hundreds of links beside that one stating the same thing...pick whichever one you want.

I guess you could say it is both. It's also the District of Columbia. :thumbup:

12 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

I know you won't answer me but I explained it already.  You weren't asking the question in good faith, you just wanted to crap on California. 

This was already obvious in the OP because at least three and arguably as many as five of the things you listed are actually fairly common for America, so it made no sense to list them. But you let the already paper-thin veil of integrity slip later in the thread when you declared that you see overpopulation as a "negative, not a positive" which of course is irrelevant to whether it's American or not.

52 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

I think my reasons stand up to scrutiny

America and being an American is a state of mind. It's a dream that we lurch towards and away from at various times. Many have found their version of that dream in California, Alabama, and yes even the superfluous Dakota.

1 minute ago, NCCommish said:

America and being an American is a state of mind. It's a dream that we lurch towards and away from at various times. Many have found their version of that dream in California, Alabama, and yes even the superfluous Dakota.

but can you film a John Mellencamp video there?