What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is the least American State? (1 Viewer)

supermike80

Footballguy
Since we are discussing the most American...

I say California.

Overcrowded in many places, poisonous air, ungodly traffic, earthquakes, and taxes that make everything ridiculously expensive.

Oh and that "american dream" of owning a home?  Good luck with that in California.

Last edited by a moderator:
North Dakota. They're the superfluous Dakota.
I would imagine my ancestors who settled in North Dakota would take issue with that. :hophead:

Why are their two Dakotas? Not surprisingly, part of the reason was to give Republicans more power in the Senate.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dakota_Territory

The territorial capital was Yankton from 1861 until 1883, when it was moved to Bismarck. The Dakota Territory was divided into the states of North Dakota and South Dakota on November 2, 1889. The admission of two states, as opposed to one, was done for a number of reasons. The two population centers in the territory were in the northeast and southeast corners of the territory, several hundred miles away from each other. On a national level, there was pressure from the Republican Party to admit two states to add to their political power in the Senate.[6]:100–101

I say California.

Overcrowded in many places, poisonous air, ungodly traffic, taxes that make everything ridiculously expensive.

Oh and that "american dream" of owning a home?  Good luck with that in California.
Hard to argue

Hawaii.   Many of the natives never wanted statehood to begin with.   The disconnect from the mainland makes them very disconnected from mainstream America.   Different way of life and a different way of thinking in the islands.

I say California.

Overcrowded in many places, poisonous air, ungodly traffic, taxes that make everything ridiculously expensive.

You sound like someone who has never lived in California.

Hawaii.   Many of the natives never wanted statehood to begin with.   The disconnect from the mainland makes them very disconnected from mainstream America.   Different way of life and a different way of thinking in the islands.
Pretty obvious answer imo 

So population is the #1 qualifier in your opinion?  See, it isn't mine
Not #1 but it’s enough to keep Cali out of 50th place.

Like I don’t think Emmitt Smith having the record for most rushing yards  makes him the best RB ever but it certainly prohibits anyone from calling him the worst.

Meh..I see overpopulation as a negative, not a positive.  
Kinda gave away the game here when you casually switched from discussing "least American" to discussing "negative vs positive" here, GB. 

After all there's plenty of things that are both negative and very much "American." Like for example air pollution, traffic and people not being able to afford home ownership.

How do any of those things make a place un-American?  I don't get it.  Is Washington DC one of the least American cities?

Pretty obvious answer imo 
:goodposting:

We can shut this fishing trip down and move on to the next one :thumbup:  

I will have to agree...I would put Hawaii as #1

:goodposting:

We can shut this fishing trip down and move on to the next one :thumbup:  
How is this fishing?  It's a legit question.  What is the least American state in your opinion.  I picked California.  And then someone said Hawaii, which I hadn't considered, but I agree is a good choice.  What am I fishing for?  Is everyone here from California or something?  Why do you guys get so argumentative?

How is this fishing?  It's a legit question.  What is the least American state in your opinion.  I picked California.  And then someone said Hawaii, which I hadn't considered, but I agree is a good choice.  What am I fishing for?  Is everyone here from California or something?  Why do you guys get so argumentative?
Giving an opinion <> argumentative.

I gave you my opinion...you quoted it and everything.  Aren't you the guy that goes around lecturing others on how they should read posts or some such?

Giving an opinion <> argumentative.

I gave you my opinion...you quoted it and everything.  Aren't you the guy that goes around lecturing others on how they should read posts or some such?
You failed to answer how it is fishing.  Wanna try again big fella?

First of all it is all subjective what makes something more American or less American but beyond that you choosing Cali and using that link as proof is the same as me saying “I chose Texas Tech to win the NCAA tourney and I was right.”

You failed to answer how it is fishing.  Wanna try again big fella?
I know you won't answer me but I explained it already.  You weren't asking the question in good faith, you just wanted to crap on California. 

This was already obvious in the OP because at least three and arguably as many as five of the things you listed are actually fairly common for America, so it made no sense to list them. But you let the already paper-thin veil of integrity slip later in the thread when you declared that you see overpopulation as a "negative, not a positive" which of course is irrelevant to whether it's American or not.

I think my reasons stand up to scrutiny
America and being an American is a state of mind. It's a dream that we lurch towards and away from at various times. Many have found their version of that dream in California, Alabama, and yes even the superfluous Dakota.

America and being an American is a state of mind. It's a dream that we lurch towards and away from at various times. Many have found their version of that dream in California, Alabama, and yes even the superfluous Dakota.
but can you film a John Mellencamp video there?  

Users who are viewing this thread