What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Bill Weld for President Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Maurile Tremblay

Administrator
Staff member
He's running in the Republican primary.

He was governor of Massachusetts for a while in the 1990s. To win a statewide election in Massachusetts as a Republican, you have to be somewhat moderate. Weld is a moderate Republican with a libertarian bent (especially on social issues).

He was on the Libertarian ticket as candidate for Vice President in 2016. Nonetheless, he recommended voting for Hillary-Kaine over his own ticket because Trump.

He's now a Republican again.

On policy:

• He's against the War on Drugs.
  • Favors nationwide legalization of marijuana.
  • He's always been pro-choice.
  • He's supported gay marriage for as long as I can remember -- I think since well before Obama or Hillary.
  • He says he's for fiscal responsibility and not running gigantic deficits. A lot of politicians say this, but I believe Weld more than I believe most.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first and most important challenge for Weld is to get a debate with Trump. However, I am betting the RNC will never allow this to happen. 

Honestly, I don’t get it. Trump is so wildly popular with Republicans, I don’t see a path to victory for Weld.

On policy:

He's against the War on Drugs.
Favors nationwide legalization of marijuana.
He's always been pro-choice.
He's supported gay marriage for as long as I can remember -- I think since well before Obama or Hillary.
He says he's for fiscal responsibility and not running gigantic deficits. A lot of politicians say this, but I believe Weld more than I believe most.

Sounds like a Democrat.

I imagine he's staying in for the duration. I may register as a Republican to vote for him but I really do wish we had a better vessel.

It's hard to move the needle on a guy that hasn't held office since 97 and is most well-known nationally for being a failed Bill Clinton appointee. I'd like to think the world has moved towards Bill Weld in the last 20 years (it has),  but it's hard to imagine him getting traction in today's GOP. 

"Ours is a nation built on courage, resilience, and independence. In these times of great political strife, when both major parties are entrenched in their 'win at all cost' battles, the voices of the American people are being ignored and our nation is suffering," Weld, who had previously formed an exploratory committee, said in a statement.

"It is time for patriotic men and women across our great nation to stand and plant a flag. It is time to return to the principles of Lincoln -- equality, dignity, and opportunity for all. There is no greater cause on earth than to preserve what truly makes America great. I am ready to lead that fight."

He's running in the Republican primary.

He was governor of Massachusetts for a while in the 1990s. To win a statewide election in Massachusetts as a Republican, you have to be somewhat moderate. Weld is a moderate Republican with a libertarian bent (especially on social issues).

He was on the Libertarian ticket as candidate for Vice President in 2016. Nonetheless, he recommended voting for Hillary-Kaine over his own ticket because Trump.

He's now a Republican again.

On policy:

• He's against the War on Drugs.
  • Favors nationwide legalization of marijuana.
  • He's always been pro-choice.
  • He's supported gay marriage for as long as I can remember -- I think since well before Obama or Hillary.
  • He says he's for fiscal responsibility and not running gigantic deficits. A lot of politicians say this, but I believe Weld more than I believe most.
With these policies I suspect he'll get labelled as a Commie.  I am almost as progressive as they come, and these are all policies that I agree with.

With these policies I suspect he'll get labelled as a Commie.  I am almost as progressive as they come, and these are all policies that I agree with.
This sort of goes in the definition of liberal/conservative thread or whatever it was called. But these views (other than the last) are social views.

The social axis hasn't, at least in my lifetime, been the primary axis to define left-right. That seems to have changed in recent years. In 1997, Weld was a moderate Republican - someone in lockstep on fiscal policies but pretty far left socially. More Friedman than Reagan, but in the GOP tent. 

I guess I see Weld's point in running is to show the GOP isn't dead as we knew it. But I'm just not convinced he's right. If he's the only opponent he may get some Anti-Trump vote but I don't think the wing of the party he appealed to 20 years ago exists in the party today. 

Honestly, I don’t get it. Trump is so wildly popular with Republicans, I don’t see a path to victory for Weld.
Yes,  those remaining in the Republican party don't care about decency, civility, honesty, and treating immigrants seeking amnesty with kindness the Catholic church speaks about. (many  would just as soon shoot them than welcome them)So Weld has no chance of getting any more than single digits support from GOP voters.

The easiest path to victory in the primary is: (a) Weld is the only semi-serious challenger, (b) Trump steps down as President or decides not to run again, (c) Weld is the only non-write-in choice.

But I don't think he's running because he sees a path to victory. I think he's running to get his shots in and blunt enthusiasm for Trump.

I'll never convince many of my family and friends to vote for a Democrat, but many of them that voted Trump say they don't really like him, he's just better than a Democrat. They might vote for a different Republican if given the chance.  So here's to hoping Weld can make some sort of splash. 

Yes,  those remaining in the Republican party don't care about decency, civility, honesty, and treating immigrants seeking amnesty with kindness the Catholic church speaks about. (many  would just as soon shoot them than welcome them)So Weld has no chance of getting any more than single digits support from GOP voters.
Disagree 100% on everything you wrote.  

I don't see this guy having any real path but if he is on the ballot and is showing any kind of heartbeat when it comes to Michigan, he will get my primary vote. 

I’m not close to a progressive and these are all policies I agree with.  
Exactly. They have deep conservative roots. War on drugs is an attack on personal liberty and unnecessary big government intrusion. Gay marriage is the choice of individuals and should not be infringed upon because some people think it's gross. Fiscal responsibility- remember that crazy conservative concept. 

What is conservative IMO has really become mixed up the last few years. I don't think the current direction of the GOP is conservatism but some kind of authoritarianism maybe? 

The easiest path to victory in the primary is: (a) Weld is the only semi-serious challenger, (b) Trump steps down as President or decides not to run again, (c) Weld is the only non-write-in choice.

But I don't think he's running because he sees a path to victory. I think he's running to get his shots in and blunt enthusiasm for Trump.
I don't know the ins and outs of RNC rules but if Trump actually didn't run again, I think someone else would jump in the race and beat Weld.

Exactly. They have deep conservative roots. War on drugs is an attack on personal liberty and unnecessary big government intrusion. Gay marriage is the choice of individuals and should not be infringed upon because some people think it's gross. Fiscal responsibility- remember that crazy conservative concept. 

What is conservative IMO has really become mixed up the last few years. I don't think the current direction of the GOP is conservatism but some kind of authoritarianism maybe? 
Right. I think he’s going to get way more traction than many here believe.  I always thought of he ran at the top of the ticket instead of Gary, and was able to ride into the election where “the lesser of two evils” kept coming up (and not butt-#### layups like Aleppo he could have made some real noise.  Ah well, hope I’m right.

Right. I think he’s going to get way more traction than many here believe.  I always thought of he ran at the top of the ticket instead of Gary, and was able to ride into the election where “the lesser of two evils” kept coming up (and not butt-#### layups like Aleppo he could have made some real noise.  Ah well, hope I’m right.
I wonder if Weld gets any traction if it will invite other challengers like Kasich to give it a go. 

Disagree 100% on everything you wrote.  
I should of stated it differently seeing that some of the remaining Republicans are in the 15% that don't approve of Trump or those that do support him are very uncomfortable with his dishonesty, indecency, lack of civility and treatment of migrants although if one feels that way I can't comprehend how they could support Trump.

I should of stated it differently seeing that some of the remaining Republicans are in the 15% that don't approve of Trump or those that do support him are very uncomfortable with his dishonesty, indecency, lack of civility and treatment of migrants although if one feels that way I can't comprehend how they could support Trump.
If those 15% who disagree with Trump can become voice enough support for Weld to make him viable, I wonder if others will flip? How many art saying they support Trump just because they want to support the Party?

While he is likely more fiscally conservative other than that you might just as well support one of the centrist Democrats like Klobuchar 

While he is likely more fiscally conservative other than that you might just as well support one of the centrist Democrats like Klobuchar 
If Klobuchar ran in the Republican primary, I would indeed support her. I don't think it's as important to support her in the Democratic primary because there are a bunch of other candidates in that primary whom I like as about as well as her.

Interview with Chris Matthews: https://www.msnbc.com/hardball/watch/bill-weld-calls-trump-a-one-man-crime-wave-1507405379892

He addresses a question I’m going to have to wrestle with: which primary should I vote in? Voting in the Republican primary means voting directly against Trump twice. Even if my favorite candidate is running in the Democratic primary, there are plenty of halfway decent candidates over there, and picking one out of the fifteen or so is pretty diluted compared to voting directly against Trump.

Interview with Chris Matthews: https://www.msnbc.com/hardball/watch/bill-weld-calls-trump-a-one-man-crime-wave-1507405379892

He addresses a question I’m going to have to wrestle with: which primary should I vote in? Voting in the Republican primary means voting directly against Trump twice. Even if my favorite candidate is running in the Democratic primary, there are plenty of halfway decent candidates over there, and picking one out of the fifteen or so is pretty diluted compared to voting directly against Trump.
Voting against Trump in the primary will have no impact on the general election.

And, you might, successfully argue that voting in the Dem primary will also have no impact on the general election.  I would just say that by helping to shape the Dem candidate, you will have a greater impact on the general election, than simply voting against Trump twice.

Voting against Trump in the primary will have no impact on the general election.

And, you might, successfully argue that voting in the Dem primary will also have no impact on the general election.  I would just say that by helping to shape the Dem candidate, you will have a greater impact on the general election, than simply voting against Trump twice.
I would argue that Weld - or anyone really - registering support will embolden Republicans to break from Trump. 

I voted for Bill Weld twice (1990 and 1994) for Massachusetts Governor. His policies (at least back then) would be largely indistinguishable from what will most likely end up as Joe Biden's platform on most issues these days.

I love Maurile.

Only a guy like Bill Weld primaries President Trump. Helms kneecapped this dude back in the nineties, and he was chum in the water and dead in the party. 

He needs to get into a debate. Right now that seems impossible. I’m sure Trump’s advisors are telling Trump to ignore Weld, to pretend he doesn’t exist. 

But as we know Trump isn’t very good at that. So if I’m Weld I’m trying to goad Trump. 

I'm gonna have to hear the nicknames he comes up for his political adversaries before he gets my vote

rockaction said:
I love Maurile.

Only a guy like Bill Weld primaries President Trump. Helms kneecapped this dude back in the nineties, and he was chum in the water and dead in the party. 
So you think he'd be worse than Trump?

So you think he'd be worse than Trump?
I didn't say that. But he's dead to his own party and tried to run on the Libertarian Party ticket as your basic moderate Republican, thereby trying to thread a needle that nobody thought existed nor really wanted except for your average Democrat, which is really, as pointed out above, what William Weld is.

A Grateful Dead-lovin', supposed fiscal conservative who is really a centrist Dem. 

I didn't say that. But he's dead to his own party and tried to run on the Libertarian Party ticket as your basic moderate Republican, thereby trying to thread a needle that nobody thought existed nor really wanted except for your average Democrat, which is really, as pointed out above, what William Weld is.

A Grateful Dead-lovin', supposed fiscal conservative who is really a centrist Dem. 
Ok - do you think he would be worse than Trump?

And I'm asking because I know basically nothing about the guy but I assume he'd be better because I assume anyone would be better.  You seem to know something about him so curious if you think he'd be better than Trump.

And I'm asking because I know basically nothing about the guy but I assume he'd be better because I assume anyone would be better.  You seem to know something about him so curious if you think he'd be better than Trump.
 He would be light years better than Trump. 

Would he be better than Trump? It depends on what you seek in Trump for the answer to that. I would venture that he would be better, but I'm happy with the two S. Ct. Justices that Trump has appointed. A second Trump term might bring another two and cement the Court the way I would like it to be for about twenty to twenty-five years, health notwithstanding. I could not trust Weld to appoint judges that I trust. McConnell has essentially been the point man on those matters for the President, and I'm happy with it. It is not, to use an old phrase, the least dangerous branch, but rather, it interprets the Constitution, a power barely surpassed in all of government aside from the power to declare war by executive fiat. Trump has done extremely satisfactory, at least as far as this voter is concerned.

As far as corruption, the RussiaGate thing turned out to be what it appeared to be all along -- a canard designed to distract and detract from the admittedly spotty (that's a mild adjective) domestic agenda of Trump.

That said, Weld would probably take certain things and run with them to my satisfaction. First, Weld would bring a sane diplomacy that emphasizes NATO and older alliances that Trump sees fit to view as up for constant negotiation. Secondly, Weld would also bring fairly liberal social policies mixed with a fiscal moderate's streak, something I support. Thirdly, he would also bring a temperament sorely lacking in the current executive. Those are three key things that Weld would excel at over President Trump. And lastly, he might have a sane immigration policy that doesn't include wild promises and walls. We all know we need regulated, streamlined immigration for both society and industry to thrive. 

That said, there are problems I see with Weld even given his superiority regarding those four things. Fiscal moderates often inevitably and almost inexorably tack left on programs and taxes when push comes to shove. Is this desirable or needed? Given that our deficit seems to be in the trillion dollar range, we may need to see a tax increase and corresponding austerity when it comes to social programs, something Weld might -- and I stress might -- be amenable to. Could he execute either of these in a political sense? That is the big question here. Secondly, the sane diplomacy he would bring cannot and should not be at the expense of American interests nor the American dime. Part of Trump's legitimate gripe with NATO, the UN, and other world organizations is that other countries expect our generosity in both our military might and our expenditures. This needs to change, too. There must be a middle ground between the haphazard and wild west diplomacy of Trump and the stately inclination to do nothing about other countries pulling their own weight so long as we retain our allies given our hegemony. Thirdly, I haven't seen too much temperament to admire coming from the hard left in both academia and the media the past thirty years. This is possibly a case of what's good for the goose being good for the gander.

That's my two cents from a person who is a conservative yet dissents from most of the things that President Trump stands for or embodies. 

Users who are viewing this thread