What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Bill Weld for President Thread*** (1 Viewer)

I would venture that he would be better, but I'm happy with the two S. Ct. Justices that Trump has appointed.
This is just an fyi. Supposedly though the original list came out of the Federalist or whoever ran it, Kavanaugh cane after that and both were vetted through Don McGahn and his law firm - and McGHn is long gone and the campaign just fired the law firm since McGahn cooperated with law enforcement in their investigation. So basically the team Trump used for those pucks is long gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is just an fyi. Supposedly though the original list came out of the Federalist or whoever ran it, Kavanaugh cane after that and both were vetted through Don McGahn and his law firm - and McGHn is long gone and the campaign just fired the law firm since McGahn cooperated with law enforcement in their investigation. So basically the team Trump used for those pucks is long gone.
Ah, that's unfortunate. I would, however, imagine the Republicans in the Senate would play a large role in the selection of the justices, should that come to pass.

He's not only far better than Trump; I think a pragmatic centrist should consider him comfortably better than the median Democrat in the race. My main issue with him is his age: he's only three years younger than Biden.
I reacted "thinking" because I think I agree with the statement about the median Democrat.

Would [Weld] be better than Trump? ... I would venture that he would be better, but I'm happy with the two S. Ct. Justices that Trump has appointed. A second Trump term might bring another two and cement the Court the way I would like it to be for about twenty to twenty-five years, health notwithstanding. I could not trust Weld to appoint judges that I trust. McConnell has essentially been the point man on those matters for the President, and I'm happy with it.

Ah, that's unfortunate. I would, however, imagine the Republicans in the Senate would play a large role in the selection of the justices, should that come to pass.
At first these two comments seemed a little contradictory to me, because I read the first as saying you don't trust Weld to pick similar justices as Trump. And I read the second as saying the President would rely on the Senate to help nominate SC judges, in which case I was thinking, you're likely to get similar judges regardless of whether it's Trump or Weld. But maybe I didn't quite interpret one or both correctly. 

I think the Senate is likely to weigh in heavily on SC nominees, regardless of who is President. Thus, I think the nominees are likely to be similar between Republican President A vs Republican President B.

And this is what I'm trying to stress to my reluctant Trump supporting family and friends. They are likely to see many similar choices for judges and policies regardless of the Republican nominee, without the negatives that come with Trump. There are lots of other Republicans who would be good presidents. They can disapprove of Trump and still be Republican.  Heck, a different R president might actually get more done simply by acting like an adult, not getting into Twitter fights, and having some decency. 

At first these two comments seemed a little contradictory to me, because I read the first as saying you don't trust Weld to pick similar justices as Trump. And I read the second as saying the President would rely on the Senate to help nominate SC judges, in which case I was thinking, you're likely to get similar judges regardless of whether it's Trump or Weld. But maybe I didn't quite interpret one or both correctly. 

I think the Senate is likely to weigh in heavily on SC nominees, regardless of who is President. Thus, I think the nominees are likely to be similar between Republican President A vs Republican President B.

And this is what I'm trying to stress to my reluctant Trump supporting family and friends. They are likely to see many similar choices for judges and policies regardless of the Republican nominee, without the negatives that come with Trump. There are lots of other Republicans who would be good presidents. They can disapprove of Trump and still be Republican.  Heck, a different R president might actually get more done simply by acting like an adult, not getting into Twitter fights, and having some decency.
You know, I read this last night but couldn't appropriately respond on my phone while watching the draft. I don't think the comments are contradictory. There's absolutely no guarantee that Weld would be just as effective, even given Senate influence, as Trump was in selecting judges I want. Trump scored solid points with this voter, Kavanaugh's views on privacy and the Fourth Amendment notwithstanding and troubling. The statements about the Senate and its influence aren't contradictory because Weld has final say regarding any appointments and need merely informally and then formally consult the Senate and its Judiciary Committee. He may decide, given his moderate stance, to reach across the aisle and appoint a moderate judge, something Bush the Elder did with Souter. We saw how that turned out with respect to Court dynamics and Court politics. Trump has shown, at the very least, a surface willingness to consult the Senate and those in the know prior to his selection of justices and judges. That we know. We do not know what Weld will do. 

I understand people dislike Trump. I'd rather have many people other than him be president. But on this issue, for conservatives, he's been rock solid -- and if you vote on this issue and this issue alone, or if this issue is primary in your thoughts, there's no reason not to vote for him again. 

eta* SID's point upthread is the best point against Trump and the judiciary if one is conservative.

I didn't say that. But he's dead to his own party and tried to run on the Libertarian Party ticket as your basic moderate Republican, thereby trying to thread a needle that nobody thought existed nor really wanted except for your average Democrat, which is really, as pointed out above, what William Weld is.

A Grateful Dead-lovin', supposed fiscal conservative who is really a centrist Dem. 
Sounds good.

Well, there goes the "DNC rigged the primaries" talking point.
That's completely not the crux of the article and it was headlined by a Politico writer or staffer. Holy crap, Trump is ahead 72-17 in New Hampshire. That's an utter landslide. He's probably up similarly in Massachusetts.

Weld is dead in the water. 

It’s  a repudiation of Weld. He made no friends leaving the party
Weld was never in the party, really. He was as close as you could get to an electable Republican in Massachusetts at the time. It's still sad to see Lying Lizzie unseat a good man in Scott Brown. 

Well, there goes the "DNC rigged the primaries" talking point.
That's completely not the crux of the article and it was headlined by a Politico writer or staffer. Holy crap, Trump is ahead 72-17 in New Hampshire. That's an utter landslide. He's probably up similarly in Massachusetts.

Weld is dead in the water. 
He might have a chance if the RNC hadn't rigged the system, though.

The easiest path to victory in the primary is: (a) Weld is the only semi-serious challenger, (b) Trump steps down as President or decides not to run again, (c) Weld is the only non-write-in choice.

But I don't think he's running because he sees a path to victory. I think he's running to get his shots in and blunt enthusiasm for Trump.
Which is exactly why the GOP will neuter him.  No way they let Trump get on a stage with this guy.

So Weld can’t even beat a guy who isn’t even running? 
Probably also fair to say that if Kasich doesn't run then Weld would get those votes. - Obviously Weld isn't beating Trump but 30% looking or wanting other GOP candidates is pretty significant.

Probably also fair to say that if Kasich doesn't run then Weld would get those votes. - Obviously Weld isn't beating Trump but 30% looking or wanting other GOP candidates is pretty significant.
It's New Hampshire. That's a different breed. I think even W picked up a lower % there in his re-election bid, though I can't find the number.

rockaction said:

It's New Hampshire. That's a different breed. I think even W picked up a lower % there in his re-election bid, though I can't find the number.

George W. Bush got a higher percentage in his re-election bid in New Hampshire.

2000: 30.4% in the primary, 48.1% in the general.
2004: 79.6% in the primary, 48.9% in the general.

George W. Bush got a higher percentage in his re-election bid in New Hampshire.

2000: 30.4% in the primary, 48.1% in the general.
2004: 79.6% in the primary, 48.9% in the general.
Oh, absolutely. Sorry. I meant lower compared to what one would expect of an incumbent. I was using the word "lower" in that sense. Thanks for finding the percentage, though. I couldn't find the exact number. It better puts Saints's point into context. Trump is a good ways from 80%.

Actually -- and it's really not because I want to be right on the internet -- it confirms my suspicion that New Hampshire's primary is unique, even for incumbent presidents. That was the point I was trying to make, and you supplied the number that I couldn't, Joe. 

"I celebrate that America has always been a melting pot," Weld said at the speaking event on Tuesday. "It seems he would prefer an Aryan nation."

...When asked to explain what specifically he meant by "Aryan nation," Weld told ABC News that he believes the president "would prefer a nation with no immigrants."

The comment, which appeared to be a step further than Weld had gone with past attacks aimed at the president, even elicited a justification from the long-shot candidate himself. "I know that sounds strong and tough but he's very interested in bloodlines and it has resonance," the former governor argued.

While Weld was reluctant to talk specifics regarding his claim that the president would "prefer an Aryan nation," he argued that his recent uptick of attacks on Trump had more to do with the direction the president is going than simply a change in strategy.

"It’s not just that I’m feeling more like going on the attack, it’s also that the president is moving to a deeper level of irresponsibility," Weld told ABC News.
ABC

Users who are viewing this thread