What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How many top five qurterbacks are in the league? (1 Viewer)

The answer should be 5, but I constantly hear claims for the following:

Brady

Brees,

Rodgers

Roethlisberger

Wilson

Ryan

Rivers

Stafford

Mahommes

Wentz

Goff

Cam Newton

I have heard the claim applying to The kid in Cleveland, Mitchell Tribisky and Watson down in Houston.  Within the last two years I heard it for Carr and Winston.  Wake up sports show talking heads, they are not all top five. 

There's no way Roeth, Stafford, Goff, or Trubisky should be mentioned there, so there's at most 11 😄 . 

That's kinda how it goes at every position. How many WR1s are there in fantasy?

A lot of people have bad opinions I guess. I can't believe someone would watch Trubisky and call him a top-5 QB. 

Oddly enough, I think a guy that wasn't on your list is a top-5 QB, that being Andrew Luck.
Thank you, yes, Luck is often mentioned. I had forgotten.  Good catch.

Why not Roethlisberger? Not saying he's difinively top 5, but he's better than 6 of these easily, and in the discussion. He's at worst 8th.  
Which 6 is he easily better than? I can't really think of any ranking criteria where I'd put Ben anywhere near top 5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which 6 is Ben easily better than? I can't really think of any ranking criteria where I'd put Ben anywhere near top 5.
Stafford, Mitch, Goff, Ryan, Cam. So maybe 5. Wentz is close imo.

I don't think Brady is still a top 5 QB. He is good in the clutch but I don't think you swapped him out with say Andy Dalton or Sam Darnold that those teams would instantly be transformed. I do think Rodgers, Wilson, Mahomes and Brees (at least he was last year) could transform a weaker team. Cam is close- he needs to be healthy and have the right scheme. I wouldn't be surprised if we added Baker to this list next year. 

ETA: Luck is probably 5 right now and Baker will be ready to take the Drew Brees spot. 

Tom Brady

Drew Brees/Aaron Rodgers

Russell Wilson/Big Ben

All have won the SB all will be in the Hall of Fame.

Mahomes needs to back it up, (if he loses Hill, that won't help)

Then a big drop off to the next gang which can be debatable but who really cares.

Not sure what to do with Eli Manning.

Tom Brady

Drew Brees/Aaron Rodgers

Russell Wilson/Big Ben

Then a big drop off to the next gang which can be debatable but who really cares.

not sure we are all answering the question the same way because Manning isn't even in the conversation if we are saying "top 5 QB's right now ".....

Mahomes

Luck

Brady

Rodgers

Brees

this is probably how I would go if I could only have one for next year.....

not sure we are all answering the question the same way because Manning isn't even in the conversation if we are saying "top 5 QB's right now ".....

Mahomes

Luck

Brady

Rodgers

Brees

this is probably how I would go if I could only have one for next year.....
I made it very clear who my top 5 QB's are right now.  I had Eli behind how many?.

Obviously just rambled on about the current situation a little there.

Tom Brady

Drew Brees/Aaron Rodgers

Russell Wilson/Big Ben

this sentiment cracks me up every time I see something like it....

The answer should be 5, but I constantly hear claims for the following:

Brady

Brees,

Rodgers

Roethlisberger

Wilson

Ryan

Rivers

Stafford

Mahommes

Wentz

Goff

Cam Newton

I have heard the claim applying to The kid in Cleveland, Mitchell Tribisky and Watson down in Houston.  Within the last two years I heard it for Carr and Winston.  Wake up sports show talking heads, they are not all top five. 
I can’t find it or remember the exact stat, but the 2017 season, something like 36 different qbs put up a top 5 week in fantasy. I’ll try to link it if I can find it. I remember it really stuck out because it was more than 32. 

RGIII did what after his Rookie of the Year season?

Vince Young another Rookie of the Year, what happened?
if you can't see the difference in what Mahomes brings to the table....thats on you...if you are comparing Mahomes game to RG3 and Young....theres not much to discuss....keep doing the "wait and see" game....last year was not Mahomes rookie year....some forget that....he credits some of his success to sitting behind Smith for all but one game of his rookie year...

is Mahomes going to go 5000/50 every year....no....and not sure what "backing it up" would have to look like....but I like many have tried to find some holes in the kids game and there just really aren't many.....he went toe to toe twice with the GOAT last year and lost by a combined total of 9 points...(with one of the worst defenses in the league)...he went toe to toe with everybody else as well and represented himself pretty nicely....going into last season that first 6 game stretch was absolutely brutal and he hit the ground running....if you can't see the difference and the 'it" factor, theres not much more to say....good luck  :banned:

if you can't see the difference in what Mahomes brings to the table....thats on you...if you are comparing Mahomes game to RG3 and Young....theres not much to discuss....keep doing the "wait and see" game....last year was not Mahomes rookie year....some forget that....he credits some of his success to sitting behind Smith for all but one game of his rookie year...

is Mahomes going to go 5000/50 every year....no....and not sure what "backing it up" would have to look like....but I like many have tried to find some holes in the kids game and there just really aren't many.....he went toe to toe twice with the GOAT last year and lost by a combined total of 6 points...(with one of the worst defenses in the league)...he went toe to toe with everybody else as well and represented himself pretty nicely....going into last season that first 6 game stretch was absolutely brutal and he hit the ground running....if you can't see the difference and the 'it" factor, theres not much more to say....good luck  :banned:
Obviously if I can talk Vince Young I'm going to know that wasn't Mahomes rookie season. So we put him ahead of those I mentioned based off one season?  I can't do that, talk to me about Don Wood who had a 1000 yards rushing as a rookie,  I know....who?  I could go on and on, always give things a little time, YES....it appears the kid is the real deal but let's slow down a little bit before putting him in with future HOFers.

In his rookie season Jerry Rice was dropping everything, talk of....a bust?  Always give things a little time. 

Obviously if I can talk Vince Young I'm going to know that wasn't Mahomes rookie season. So we put him ahead of those I mentioned based off one season?  I can't do that, talk to me about Don Wood who had a 1000 yards rushing as a rookie,  I know....who?  I could go on and on, always give things a little time, YES....it appears the kid is the real deal but let's slow down a little bit before putting him in with future HOFers.

In his rookie season Jerry Rice was dropping everything, talk of....a bust?  Always give things a little time. 
nobody is talking about putting him in the same breathe as the hall of famers career wise....thats why I said some may be answering this question in different ways.......I took the question as "who are the top 5 QB's in the league right now".....and IMO Mahomes is definitely  in that conversation (and possibly leading it) and not in "he needs to back it up" mode....

nobody is talking about putting him in the same breathe as the hall of famers career wise....thats why I said some may be answering this question in different ways.......I took the question as "who are the top 5 QB's in the league right now".....and IMO Mahomes is definitely  in that conversation (and possibly leading it) and not in "he needs to back it up" mode....
I doubt the question was....who had the best 2018....at all.  This thread is about just who are the best five QB's in the league right now.  No way in hell I'm taking Mahomes over those five I mentioned if I could pick who I needed to win a game in 2019. 

Russell Wilson out played Mahomes when they played.

I doubt the question was....who had the best 2018....at all.  This thread is about just who are the best five QB's in the league right now.  No way in hell I'm taking Mahomes over those five I mentioned if I could pick who I needed to win a game in 2019. 

Russell Wilson out played Mahomes when they played.
a game..?.....that's a whole different conversation.....

it's basically asking who are the top 5 QB's in the game right now.....not over their careers....if you think there is "no way in hell Mahomes enters that conversation"....thats fine and thats your opinion....but the question is not a lifetime achievement thing....many people know things when they see it.....they don't have to keep seeing it again and again and again....if you ask who are the top 5 QB's in the game right now, I think most people will include Mahomes somewhere in that 5.....just IMO...

In theory, different people have different Top 5s.

In reality, most people aren't creative in writing or particular in speech, and cliches are easy.

a game..?.....that's a whole different conversation.....

it's basically asking who are the top 5 QB's in the game right now.....not over their careers....if you think there is "no way in hell Mahomes enters that conversation"....thats fine and thats your opinion....but the question is not a lifetime achievement thing....many people know things when they see it.....they don't have to keep seeing it again and again and again....if you ask who are the top 5 QB's in the game right now, I think most people will include Mahomes somewhere in that 5.....just IMO...
So who does Mahomes knock out of this top five?

Brady

Rodgers

Brees

Wilson

Big Ben

Keep in mind Mahomes had one of the top TE;s and the fastest WR in the league.

Brady

Rodgers

Brees

Wilson

Big Ben

right now......?...I would be fine bumping all but Brady

and I'm just thinking in terms of the whole package at QB which includes a ton of things besides stats.....most all of the ingredients that would make up the "IT" recipe....kid has the goods and is the real deal....I realize his "resume" does not have enough on it right now for you and maybe others....but IMO....he is a top 5 QB in the league right now....

I am also not factoring in supporting cast in any way.....because that also adds way too many things and would be another discussion.....

and in no way am I even talking fantasy QB....because we know the answer to that one...

I don't think Brady is still a top 5 QB. He is good in the clutch but I don't think you swapped him out with say Andy Dalton or Sam Darnold that those teams would instantly be transformed. I do think Rodgers, Wilson, Mahomes and Brees (at least he was last year) could transform a weaker team. Cam is close- he needs to be healthy and have the right scheme. I wouldn't be surprised if we added Baker to this list next year. 

ETA: Luck is probably 5 right now and Baker will be ready to take the Drew Brees spot. 
I agree 100% with these top 5

you could also kind of look at it like....who do I not want to see standing on the sideline across from me....?

right now......?...I would be fine bumping all but Brady

and I'm just thinking in terms of the whole package at QB which includes a ton of things besides stats.....most all of the ingredients that would make up the "IT" recipe....kid has the goods and is the real deal....I realize his "resume" does not have enough on it right now for you and maybe others....but IMO....he is a top 5 QB in the league right now....

I am also not factoring in supporting cast in any way.....because that also adds way to many things and would be another discussion.....

and in no way am I even talking fantasy QB....because we know the answer to that one...
I don't look at things by a season, I look at the body of work. I need longevity at the top. 

Give Russell Wilson Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce, imagine what he would have done.

Mahomes lost to Wilson and Brady, did beat Big Ben.

I don't look at things by a season, I look at the body of work. I need longevity at the top. 

Give Russell Wilson Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce, imagine what he would have done.

Mahomes beat what great QB in 2018?
Rivers....HOF

Ben....HOF

(these first two were back to back to start the year.....on the road)

Luck...

lost to Brady by 3 on the road and by 6 in OT when they lost the coin toss....

lost to Wilson by one score....

wasn't much else out there that moves the needle...

and I'll play the game of what ifs or give my guy this or that and say....give Mahomes a better then like the third worst defense in the league and what could he have done.....we could do this all day...

I don't look at things by a season, I look at the body of work. I need longevity at the top

Mahomes beat what great QB in 2018?
and if the bolded is the case......then Mahomes shouldn't even be sniffing your top 25....

Brady

Rodgers

Brees

Wilson

Big Ben

Brees was a shell of himself late last year.  He averaged about 1 TD and 200 yards a game over the last 4 games.  He was stronger in the playoffs, but not Mahommes productions.

Ben didn't make the playoffs so I have no problem put Mahommes better stats and more winning in front of him.

Wilson is good, but inferior results and stats compared to Mahommes.  I'd have those two close right now with a slight lean Mahommes.  

I'll give Rodgers a pass because he was hurt last year, but Mahommes did outplay him last year.

Brees was a shell of himself late last year.  He averaged about 1 TD and 200 yards a game over the last 4 games.  He was stronger in the playoffs, but not Mahommes productions.

Ben didn't make the playoffs so I have no problem put Mahommes better stats and more winning in front of him.

Wilson is good, but inferior results and stats compared to Mahommes.  I'd have those two close right now with a slight lean Mahommes.  

I'll give Rodgers a pass because he was hurt last year, but Mahommes did outplay him last year.
oh crap.....big brother caught me hustling down at the pool hall....

I took this thread as just who are the best QB's in the NFL right now, not......WOW! Mahommes had a GREAT season.  I didn't think this was a season to season thing.

I simple need more than one fight, one race, one season before I can ever start handing out a lot of praise for any athlete. Let's see something else.

Drew Brees had one of his best seasons ever, a shell of himself??????????  

Career high....74.4 comp%, which was better than Mahommes

Career high.....115.7 passer rating, which wa better than Mahommes

I took this thread as just who are the best QB's in the NFL right now, not......WOW! Mahommes had a GREAT season.  I didn't think this was a season to season thing.

I simple need more than one fight, one race, one season before I can ever start handing out a lot of praise for any athlete. Let's see something else.
so Mahomes comes in where for you outside the top 5.....about 26 or 27...?

Drew Brees had one of his best seasons ever, a shell of himself??????????  

Career high....74.4 comp%, which was better than Mahommes

Career high.....115.7 passer rating, which wa better than Mahommes
If you're going to discount the last quarter of the year, let me discount the first quarter.  Dak was QB5 and Brees QB13.

so Mahomes comes in where for you outside the top 5.....about 26 or 27...?
Yes and no.

Without question not on a level with.

Brady

Rodgers'

Brees

Wilson

Big Ben

Yes, outside the top 5.

But, having the AMAZING , INCREDIBLE, SUPERNATURAL season he had in 2018, it's real obvious this kid as a world of potential, and it's really easy to think here is the next great NFL QB. So we must think he's right there with Andrew Luck in that next level of QB's. And like Luck maybe he will move pass one of those in the top five with some time.

If you're going to discount the last quarter of the year, let me discount the first quarter.  Dak was QB5 and Brees QB13.
I don't cut an NFL season into quarters, I go with what the numbers tell us at the end.  Which is all that matters.

Brees had a great season, one of his best.

Who has ever matched this...74.4/115.7...?

RGIII did what after his Rookie of the Year season?

Vince Young another Rookie of the Year, what happened?
Oh please.  Neither came close to what Mahomes did last year.  Not even in the same universe................

Vince Young had 12 TD passes and RGIII had 20 their rookie years.  

Rodgers

Mahomes

Watson

Luck

Baker

That's who I think will be top 5 at the end of the year if they stay healthy. Brady has nobody to catch the ball, Ben lost his biggest target, Matt Ryan has another coordinator change and his best RB coming back to take TDs, if Gurley stays healthy then Goff loses a couple TDs, Cam has had shoulder issues for a while. 

If Cam is 100% then he would round out my top 5 instead of Baker. Baker killed it after Kitchens took over and got another receiving weapon. I think he could regress, but he has as much chance as anybody to break that top 5. 

Rodgers

Mahomes

Watson

Luck

Baker

That's who I think will be top 5 at the end of the year if they stay healthy. Brady has nobody to catch the ball, Ben lost his biggest target, Matt Ryan has another coordinator change and his best RB coming back to take TDs, if Gurley stays healthy then Goff loses a couple TDs, Cam has had shoulder issues for a while. 

If Cam is 100% then he would round out my top 5 instead of Baker. Baker killed it after Kitchens took over and got another receiving weapon. I think he could regress, but he has as much chance as anybody to break that top 5. 
fantasy football rankings is a whole nutha discussion.....that doesn't always translate to the "best QB's".....

I don't cut an NFL season into quarters, I go with what the numbers tell us at the end.  Which is all that matters.

Brees had a great season, one of his best.

Who has ever matched this...74.4/115.7...?
:yawn:  12 in yards per attempt.  Behind Mariotta in yards per completion and likely in the bottom third of the league there.  I'm not getting excited over a bunch of dump offs.

Yes and no.

Without question not on a level with.

Brady

Rodgers'

Brees

Wilson

Big Ben

Yes, outside the top 5.

But, having the AMAZING , INCREDIBLE, SUPERNATURAL season he had in 2018, it's real obvious this kid as a world of potential, and it's really easy to think here is the next great NFL QB. So we must think he's right there with Andrew Luck in that next level of QB's. And like Luck maybe he will move pass one of those in the top five with some time.
ok....so let me get this straight....it sounds like you have Mahomes at about 6 or 7......so the "no way in hell" noise you were spitting out earlier is really just splitting hairs over a couple of spots even without the longevity you speak of...?

:yawn:  12 in yards per attempt.  Behind Mariotta in yards per completion and likely in the bottom third of the league there.  I'm not getting excited over a bunch of dump offs.
Why ignore Mariota 11td/8INT?

Brees, had a great season  how can you say.....a shell of himself.....with a 74.4 comp % and his best ever 115.7 passer rating?  And....32/5...TD/INT is great. A shell of himself???

ok....so let me get this straight....it sounds like you have Mahomes at about 6 or 7......so the "no way in hell" noise you were spitting out earlier is really just splitting hairs over a couple of spots even without the longevity you speak of...?
I have simply seen way too much football to freak out over ...A...season.  I learned how that works long ago, BUT......having  an HISTORICALLY...GREAT...season like he had in 2018, I do have to put him in that "special" category.  Which I'm doing. I can't however put him ahead of guys who have accomplished so much more with that longevity.

Russell Wilson has never had a TE like Kelce or a speed receiver like Hill,  I do think he could have done the same things with them.

Users who are viewing this thread