What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hypothetical - You're Trump's Manager and Your Life Depends On Him Winning In 2020 - Who Do You Least Want To Face? (1 Viewer)

Hypothetical - You're Trump's Manager and Your Life Depends On Him Winning In 2020 - Who Do You Leas

• Bernie Sanders

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Kamala Harris

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Beto O'Rourke

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • Joe Biden

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • Cory Booker

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Amy Klobuchar

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Andrew Yang

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Julian Castro

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kirsten Gillibrand

Votes: 4 5.6%

• Total voters
A Biden/Mayor Pete or Burnie/Mayor Pete ticket. 

Too me Buttigieg is too young but Biden/Sanders are too old

couldn’t see Biden/Sanders serving 2 terms , only 1 and turn it over to Buttigieg. Can’t see either one beating Trump in 2020 but would give Buttigieg some shine as a VP candidate. Set him up in 2024 against Ivanka or JR

couldn’t see Biden/Sanders serving 2 terms , only 1 and turn it over to Buttigieg. Can’t see either one beating Trump in 2020 but would give Buttigieg some shine as a VP candidate. Set him up in 2024 against Ivanka or JR
Smith? Ewing?

:lol: Good stuff as always.

For everyone else: Did anyone answer Joe's question with a name other than your preferred candidate? If so, why?
Yes...if forced to vote today I'd vote for Bernie, but I picked Klobuchar.  I'd be voting for Bernie based on his moral compass, not necessarily because I agree lock step with his policies.  I think Klobuchar's platform is more appealing to more people and I also think it would be a lot tougher for him to get personal with her.  It was easy to do it with Hillary because there was already a hate for her out there.  Attacking Klobuchar that same way just reinforces his misogynistic/sexist side.  

I'm a math guy and I say Biden simply because of the Electoral College.  Biden would, at least theoretically, be a pretty decent favorite to win back WI, MI, and PA.  If that occurs, Trump would have to find another blue state to flip.  I'm not sure where he would feasibly get that from, at least today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually that was a lot about how to appear on TV. Nixon wore a bad color as it tended to blend into the background given black and white TV. And of course the sweating. People who listened to it on radio thought Nixon won. People who watched thought Kennedy did. At the end of the day though it wasnt that big a deal given Nixon lost the popular vote by 2/10s of a percent. He got killed in the EC though.
As I mentioned above, this wisely accepted conventional wisdom is probably a myth.
I heard something similar, but with meth instead of myth. Wasn't that debate one of the first times that JFK was high on meth?

For everyone else: Did anyone answer Joe's question with a name other than your preferred candidate? If so, why?
I think Klobuchar would be the biggest favorite over Trump, but I have both Buttigieg and Yang ranked ahead of her according to preference. (Although my ordering of Yang and Klobuchar is pretty speculative -- I could easily move Klobuchar up to #2 once I become more familiar with each of them.)

adonis said:
Who I look for in a candidate to support doesn't rank that question terribly high.  Others like platform, philosophy, vision, etc matter more to me.

I picked Biden for the most likely to win, but Buttigieg is my top choice at the moment.

The Z Machine said:
I would prefer Harris over the field, but think that Klobuchae has the best shot at beating Trump.
So fascinating to hear all of these perspectives. I'm not saying any of you are wrong, but that's just totally different from how I approach these things. I can't ever really remember supporting a candidate I didn't think had a chance. Maybe that's because I'm just a frontrunner (though I supported Obama from the very beginning, even when he was way down to Hillary, and I also thought he had the best chance to win the general election). Some of it is also humility; I don't pretend to know what other voters will like, so I just go with the person I like the best and assume that if I like them, maybe others will, too. (I know that sounds like the opposite of humility; what I'm trying to say is that absent any other criteria, I'll just stick to the one thing I know, which is my own preferences).

The couple counter-examples I can think of were unique circumstances. In 2004, I voted for Edwards even though I knew Kerry would win the nomination, but honestly, I thought both of them were underwhelming. In 2009 I voted for Bill Thompson for NYC mayor even though I thought Bloomberg would win and wanted him to win. I very deliberately wanted to cast a protest vote against Bloomberg's move to overturn term limits after they had already been approved by voters, and figured it didn't matter since has was going to cruise to re-election. (The irony is that apparently others thought like me, and Thompson came very close to actually beating him).

Similarly, in last year's FL gubernatiorial primary, I voted for Andrew Gillum even though I expected him to lose to Gwen Graham. But even that kind of proves my point. I expected Gillum to lose, but I thought he'd be a better general-election candidate because I found Graham so boring and uninspiring, and I figured a bland centrist would have trouble boosting turnout. Again, more people agreed with me than I suspected and Gillum won the nomination. (As to whether my hunch about the general election was correct, it's really impossible to say; Bill Nelson ran that centrist playbook and he and Gillum ended up with almost the exact same totals.)

Anyway, the 2020 primary is pretty unique in terms of being the most open in my adult lifetime and in terms of not having any strong frontrunners. I've been leaning toward Harris from the beginning, and as much as I decry making decisions based on perceived "electability", I still would say that she's the most electable. That's not my primary reason for supporting her, but I suppose it probably factors into my calculations somewhat, even if only subsconsciously.

I think it's Biden first and Harris second. 

Biden for obvious reasons - well liked, appeals to midwestern voters.

Harris because I think she could openly prosecute him in the middle of debates.

Users who are viewing this thread