What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Hot Takes" - Food Edition (1 Viewer)

So baloney is better than bacon? 

No. 
It does not taste like bologna.  Probably more in common with Canadian bacon, but Taylor ham is more salty and greasy, and less smoky, than Canadian bacon.

On Buddy's point, I'd probably take bacon over Taylor ham as a side (but my mood can swing).  But I'd take a Taylor, egg, and cheese sandwich over a bacon, egg, and cheese.  Its shape allows it to be evenly distributed throughout the sandwich better than bacon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never heard of Taylor Pork Roll, but Scrapple is kind of like southern Spam.  Pork scraps and some other stuff formed into a loaf.
I consider scrapple to be "mid-Atlantic/Northern Livermush". And by that, I mean, made with nearly identical ingredients and looks the same, but somehow still completely inferior. IME (a lot of it), livermush gets much crispier than scrapple. 

And neither are similar to Spam at all.  Livermush and scrapple are made of mainly hog liver, head parts, and some spleen mixed with cornmeal. Not sure what's in Spam, but I assume it's mostly muscle cuts with some gelatinous gunk and other stuff in there. 

$8+ per lb for some sort of ground pork??
I'm fine spending on fine pork breakfast delicacies, but being unfamiliar with Taylor roll and it's proper preparation, I've never been willing to take the plunge at it's price.

Though, with Buddy and Quixote's fine guidance here, I might just go ahead and take that plunge. Looks tasty.

I consider scrapple to be "mid-Atlantic/Northern Livermush". And by that, I mean, made with nearly identical ingredients and looks the same, but somehow still completely inferior. IME (a lot of it), livermush gets much crispier than scrapple. 

And neither are similar to Spam at all.  Livermush and scrapple are made of mainly hog liver, head parts, and some spleen mixed with cornmeal. Not sure what's in Spam, but I assume it's mostly muscle cuts with some gelatinous gunk and other stuff in there. 
Scrapple is totally different from Spam. I've had both, and they're not even in the same ballpark. 

pollardsvision said:
I consider scrapple to be "mid-Atlantic/Northern Livermush". And by that, I mean, made with nearly identical ingredients and looks the same, but somehow still completely inferior. IME (a lot of it), livermush gets much crispier than scrapple

I like my scrapple mushy. I even like it uncooked. 

So baloney is better than bacon? 

No. 
I'd rather eat a good hot dog then a piece of bacon.

Anyone who tries to argue that bacon does not make everything better is full of ####.  But bacon by itself?  It's fine.  But when I'm looking in the fridge I never grab a piece or five to enjoy solo.  Because it's better when it's accompanying something else.

You guys can have your gas station subs, just not my thing. 

I will say this in support of pork roll, it did make a nice grilled cheese

Gas station subs have their place.  It isn't amidst the usual day-to-day, but if I'm on the road and aren't willing nor able to make the time to find some place decent that's optimal to most highway fast food fare.

Gas station subs have their place.  It isn't amidst the usual day-to-day, but if I'm on the road and aren't willing nor able to make the time to find some place decent that's optimal to most highway fast food fare.
Please stop referring to Wawa food as "gas station subs."

Please stop referring to Wawa food as "gas station sub."
I'll admit my ignorance about Wawa.  There aren't any within hundreds of miles nor do I ever travel anywhere near them.

But if it's a touchy subject and it gets a rise out of their patrons then I'll continue to refer to it as gas station subs because I'm kind of an ### hole.

I'll admit my ignorance about Wawa.  There aren't any within hundreds of miles nor do I ever travel anywhere near them.

But if it's a touchy subject and it gets a rise out of their patrons then I'll continue to refer to it as gas station subs because I'm kind of an ### hole.
Originally, they were a corner store with a deli.  You can only find a handful of Wawa's now that don't also have a huge gas station, but 15 years ago, a Wawa with a gas station was unique.  They are pretty much one stop shops for everyone in the morning.  I would guess that in SE PA, 90% of people get their gas from Wawa and it's all because you can get everything else you need for the day at that same spot.

They are actually really awesome.  But if you're not from the area, it can seem like a fancy gas station.  But Wawa made their mark as a deli and corner store.  

That one guy said:
The wife is from Philly, she raved about this pork roll thing.  I finally tried it one day, it’s spiced bologna.  And Wawa is just gas station food, it’s not special.  

Bacon is the spice of the gods
:lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:

That one guy said:
The wife is from Philly, she raved about this pork roll thing.  I finally tried it one day, it’s spiced bologna.  And Wawa is just gas station food, it’s not special.  

Bacon is the spice of the gods
:jawdrop:

yeah, and the Grand Canyon is just a pothole..    

I'd rather eat a good hot dog then a piece of bacon.

Anyone who tries to argue that bacon does not make everything better is full of ####.  But bacon by itself?  It's fine.  But when I'm looking in the fridge I never grab a piece or five to enjoy solo.  Because it's better when it's accompanying something else.
The OP clearly stated "as a breakfast side". No one is suggesting bacon is a complete meal. 

Originally, they were a corner store with a deli.  You can only find a handful of Wawa's now that don't also have a huge gas station, but 15 years ago, a Wawa with a gas station was unique.  They are pretty much one stop shops for everyone in the morning.  I would guess that in SE PA, 90% of people get their gas from Wawa and it's all because you can get everything else you need for the day at that same spot.

They are actually really awesome.  But if you're not from the area, it can seem like a fancy gas station.  But Wawa made their mark as a deli and corner store.  
So they're Sheetz

So they're Sheetz
I don't know much about Sheetz other than there is a weird rivalry.  Was Sheetz a deli that added gas, too?  I know when I travel out to Lancaster, I get gas at them.  But I haven't really been inside one other than maybe 2 or 3 times.

"kind of"?

I don't know much about Sheetz other than there is a weird rivalry.  Was Sheetz a deli that added gas, too?  I know when I travel out to Lancaster, I get gas at them.  But I haven't really been inside one other than maybe 2 or 3 times.
Not sure how they started.

Only been in Wawa a few times and that was only to grab a water or something when traveling.

Sheetz is the one stop in the morning you described. Decent enough sandwiches and made to order food/snacks 

ETA: they just tore down and rebuilt one of the sheetz in my area and it now has beer and wine. That's unusual for stores in my state

On the subject of breakfast sandwich ingredients: Cooper white American cheese is perfection. Nice middle ground between Kraft American slices and real cheese. You can probably get it at your supermarket deli counter.

Possible that everyone already knows this and I'm just clueless.

Taylor ham is only a NJ thing. Even in Staten Island nobody every heard of it. I had my first one a few weeks ago. Way too salty.

Things I'd never heard of before today:

Taylor Ham

Scrapple (although I used to live on a street called Hardscrapple. No idea what it was)

Wawa

Sheetz

Buc-ees

Liver mush

Judging by the names and/or pictures of these items, I don't think I want to have any of them. 

Ima gonna stick with the good ole bacon if that's OK.
Three of those things you should never eat.  Because they're stores.

Users who are viewing this thread