What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Yuma AZ declares state of emergency as illegal immigrants run amok (1 Viewer)

HellToupee

Footballguy
*****Corrected LINK*****

Perhaps a cautionary tale to both political parties. The issue needs to be resolved with bipartisanship effort

Arizona city overwhelmed by migrants declares state of emergency

Mayor warns of migrant mobs 'roaming the streets' clashing with residents

By Stephen Dinan

Yuma, a city on the U.S.-Mexico border in Arizona, declared a state of emergency Tuesday, saying it cannot handle the crush of illegal immigrants the government is being forced to release onto its streets.

Mayor Douglas Nicholls said the migrants are being released by the Border Patrol into his community faster than they can leave, and local shelters are already at capacity.

He warned of mobs of people “roaming the streets looking to satisfy basic human needs,” clashing with citizens looking to protect their own property.

“There is an imminent threat on having too many migrant releases into our community,” he said. “It’s above our capacity as a community to sustain.”

The move was designed to draw the attention of the country to what locals said was an untenable situation and to beg for solutions from the federal government, which has been at a political stalemate over what to do.

Mr. Nicholls said he is trying to get other Arizona communities to issue similar declarations, hoping a critical mass of voices will cut through the partisan gridlock.

Last edited by a moderator:
LINK

Perhaps a cautionary tale to both political parties. The issue needs to be resolved with bipartisanship effort

By Stephen Dinan

Yuma, a city on the U.S.-Mexico border in Arizona, declared a state of emergency Tuesday, saying it cannot handle the crush of illegal immigrants the government is being forced to release onto its streets.

Mayor Douglas Nicholls said the migrants are being released by the Border Patrol into his community faster than they can leave, and local shelters are already at capacity.

He warned of mobs of people “roaming the streets looking to satisfy basic human needs,” clashing with citizens looking to protect their own property.

“There is an imminent threat on having too many migrant releases into our community,” he said. “It’s above our capacity as a community to sustain.”

The move was designed to draw the attention of the country to what locals said was an untenable situation and to beg for solutions from the federal government, which has been at a political stalemate over what to do.

Mr. Nicholls said he is trying to get other Arizona communities to issue similar declarations, hoping a critical mass of voices will cut through the partisan gridlock.
Well then you (and the state of Arizona) probably should have voted for someone who had the ability, the will and the experience to resolve difficult issues with a bipartisan effort.  Instead you/they voted for someone with no political experience who insults and demeans his political opponents at every turn and aggressively shuts them out of the political process whenever the law and the Constitution allow him to do so and sometimes when they don't.

Anyway, I'm not sure why you need a bipartisan effort. I was told that a wall would fix everything and that Mexico would pay for it.

Wow, I can't believe Border Patrol is releasing ILLEGAL immigrants into a community rather than deporting them.  Shocking, really.

Wow, I can't believe Border Patrol is releasing ILLEGAL immigrants into a community rather than deporting them.  Shocking, really.
They only come here for jobs that Americans can’t be bothered to do

:lol:  

So Trump is responsible for this. Okie Dokie.

CNN‏Verified account @CNN 1h1 hour ago

The mayor of Yuma, Arizona, has declared a state of emergency, saying his city doesn't have the resources to respond as the Border Patrol releases a growing number of migrants from custody

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/17/us/yuma-mayor-emergency-migrants/index.html?utm_content=2019-04-17T13%3A30%3A05&utm_medium=social&utm_term=image&utm_source=twCNN
Oh, ok so no real "emergency".  Good to hear.

Despite the dire language in the proclamation, Nicholls told CNN affiliate KYMA he doesn't believe the migrants are a danger to the community. The goal, he says, is to get more resources to Yuma to help manage the situation.

"Every person that has been released to us has had a background check and has a health check. They are not just adult males, they would be in family units," Nicholls said. "We are not anticipating large-scale crime issues. We are not anticipating situations that would make Yuma a dangerous place."

Despite the dire language in the proclamation, Nicholls told CNN affiliate KYMA he doesn't believe the migrants are a danger to the community. The goal, he says, is to get more resources to Yuma to help manage the situation.

"Every person that has been released to us has had a background check and has a health check. They are not just adult males, they would be in family units," Nicholls said. "We are not anticipating large-scale crime issues. We are not anticipating situations that would make Yuma a dangerous place."
:lmao:

FWIW Nicholls is a Republican.  Given the bad faith behavior of pretty much every other Republican in America on this issue I think it's fair to question his motivation here and wonder if he's trying to provide political/legal cover for the president. My guess is he didn't think this one through and now he's backtracking because the Chamber of Commerce and tourism board and whatnot are not so happy.

They only come here for jobs that Americans can’t be bothered to do
if that's the case, couldn't we make punishments so severe for the employers to hire illegal immigrants that they would stop giving jobs to these people?  then the flow of illegal immigrants slows to a drip and we didn't have to spend billions on a wall.  put everyone on a work permit so we know where they are working and who's coming and going.

ask yourself why this hasn't happened yet

if that's the case, couldn't we make punishments so severe for the employers to hire illegal immigrants that they would stop giving jobs to these people?  then the flow of illegal immigrants slows to a drip and we didn't have to spend billions on a wall.  put everyone on a work permit so we know where they are working and who's coming and going.

ask yourself why this hasn't happened yet
Both sides use them as pawns

Where are the illegal immigrants running amok again?

Apparently not in Yuma...

Migrants who have been screened and released by CBP and who are described as not being a danger to the community even by the man who declared the emergency are not "illegal immigrants run amok" in any sense.

The Washington Times reporter should be ashamed of course, but so should @HellToupee for that thread headline. A pathetic, sleazy, fraudulent attempt at xenophobic fear-mongering.

Migrants who have been screened and released by CBP and who are described as not being a danger to the community even by the man who declared the emergency are not "illegal immigrants run amok" in any sense.

The Washington Times reporter should be ashamed of course, but so should @HellToupee for that thread headline. A pathetic, sleazy, fraudulent attempt at xenophobic fear-mongering.
Or as I like to call it, a typical Wednesday.

:lol:  

So Trump is responsible for this. Okie Dokie.

CNN‏Verified account @CNN 1h1 hour ago

The mayor of Yuma, Arizona, has declared a state of emergency, saying his city doesn't have the resources to respond as the Border Patrol releases a growing number of migrants from custody

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/17/us/yuma-mayor-emergency-migrants/index.html?utm_content=2019-04-17T13%3A30%3A05&utm_medium=social&utm_term=image&utm_source=twCNN

So it's only a "Trump Emergency"--something that is declared, even though it doesn't exist, in order to obtain something from someone.

*****Corrected LINK*****

By Stephen Dinan

Fear mongering at its worst.  Compare the above with:

"Every person that has been released to us has had a background check and has a health check. They are not just adult males, they would be in family units," Nicholls said. "We are not anticipating large-scale crime issues. We are not anticipating situations that would make Yuma a dangerous place."

after clicking on that link, my laptop put up a message "I need a bath"

I know conservatives get angry whenever anyone suggests that they're racists or bigots, so I would like to hear the explanation for falsely characterizing screened migrants released by CBP as "illegal immigrants" who are "running amok" and pose an "imminent threat" that doesn't involve bigotry.

I admit that I can't see one, but maybe that's on me. Please, educate me.

I know conservatives get angry whenever anyone suggests that they're racists or bigots, so I would like to hear the explanation for falsely characterizing screened migrants released by CBP as "illegal immigrants" who are "running amok" and pose an "imminent threat" that doesn't involve bigotry.

You left out “roaming the streets looking to satisfy basic human needs,”

I was going to go with poor writing by inexperienced staff from a very small town paper.  when I looked it up, however, Yuma is not so small as I may have imagined.  95,000.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread