What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your brain knows when you die (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
As if I wasn't already freaking out about dying at some point in my life, now I get to worry about knowing that I've died.

LINK

TheIronSheik said:
As if I wasn't already freaking out about dying at some point in my life, now I get to worry about knowing that I've died.

LINK
JFC.  I usually like your posts.  This just basically ruined me.  I'm with you - I'm HORRIFIED of dying.  I'm atheist.  I believe in nothing...Now I have to know that I'll know when nothing is here.  Great.  

His study is examining what happens to the brain after a person goes into cardiac arrest - and whether consciousness continues after death and for how long - to improve the quality of resuscitation and prevent brain injuries while restarting the heart.
I guess the concept of consciousness after death wasn't honestly surprising though...but I figured it was for a few seconds after your heart stopped, and during that point you had a few moments where you could move and potentially speak (given your situation).  If they find out it's like several minutes, and you're paralyzed, that really REALLY sucks.

:shrug:

This was how I assumed it already went down anyway.  Why would your brain stop instantly with your heart?  It would take a few minutes from lake of oxygen and what not to your noggin for it to stop functioning..

#NotDoctor

There was a 1980s episode of Amazing Stories where they explored this. A guy rolls his jeep in the jungle and is aware while people come by taking his wallet and such. The whole time he’s crying out for help. 

I'm hoping it's at least a euphoric bliss that overcomes your brain as you hear the doctor pronouncing your time of death.  Of course, that's if you die in a hospital.  My luck, I'll be killed by a crazy guy who likes to have sex with slightly warm dead bodies.

I'm hoping it's at least a euphoric bliss that overcomes your brain as you hear the doctor pronouncing your time of death.  Of course, that's if you die in a hospital.  My luck, I'll be killed by a crazy guy who likes to have sex with slightly warm dead bodies.
I can handle the article and idea of post death consciousness, but this is an image I did not need.

Not fazed by this. Their definition of death is just off. Of course my brain will continue to exist after my heart stops. 

As to death itself, I'm not afraid of that either. It didn't bother me to not exist before I did. It won't bother me to not exist after I don't. 🤷‍♂️
Life really is the perfect bell curve.  Middle part ok but those beginnings and endings are a real #####.

Dead Sheik: “Why is that homeless guy mounting me and why am I not moving?  OMG - I can’t see, I’m blind and apparently paralyzed!  Sweet Jesus no, what is that slapping noise?!?.....fade to black”

Dead Sheik: “Why is that homeless guy mounting me and why am I not moving?  OMG - I can’t see, I’m blind and apparently paralyzed!  Sweet Jesus no, what is that slapping noise?!?.....fade to black”
I think Sam Kinison did a bit on this.  OH OH OOOOOOOOOOH!

What if you die from a shotgun blast to the head and your brains are no longer... together to be intact and firing?  

Sincerely,

Last edited by a moderator:
My brain is aware of a bunch of stuff that my consciousnes isn't.  I choose to believe this will just be another one of those items.

Meh...if there is still measurable brain activity you aren't actually dead.

Also, is this "phenomenon" supposed to happen when you're asleep, or in a coma?

Watched at least 100 people die in palliative care and aint seen a scaredycat yet. A similar phenomenon to shock takes over from the pain, exhaustion & panic of dying and those active corticoids would be on board when one might have to deal with the phenomenon you cite.

I think Sam Kinison did a bit on this.  OH OH OOOOOOOOOOH!
yeah, just give credit where credit is due. 

this is not funny, diarrhea club (Shakes the Clown ...like you care). 

Meh, most have a hard enough time thinking while they’re alive 

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what I wonder.....When my mother passed away from cancer, it had metastasized to her brain.  For the last few days before she passed, she was mentally gone.  Barely any motor skills, barely any speech, no way to communicate.  Does this moment in your mind before you pass access something deep?  Somewhere where you have clarity for a moment before you pass?  Or does your brain live on in it's current state?  That's what I would be interested in knowing.

why is that news? the study came out in 2014

Conclusions: Cardiac arrest survivors commonly experience a broad range of cognitive themes, with 2% exhibiting full awareness. This supports other recent studies that have indicated consciousness may be present despite clinically undetectable consciousness. This together with fearful experiences may contribute to PTSD and other cognitive deficits.
One in five said they felt an unusual sense of peacefulness. Nearly one third said time had slowed down or sped up. Some recalled a bright light, a golden flash, or the Sun shining. Others recounted feelings of fear, drowning, or being dragged through deep water. Thirteen percent said they felt separated from their bodies and thirteen percent said their senses had been heightened. Contrary to perception, death is not a specific moment, but a potentially reversible process that occurs after any severe illness or accident causes the heart, lungs and brain to cease functioning.

Users who are viewing this thread