What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Putting your pants in the freezer - is this a thing? (1 Viewer)

Fat Nick

Footballguy
So my wife was just telling me about an interaction my SIL had with her relatively new boyfriend.  He came over to cook her dinner at her apartment.  Apparently he made some lamb and it was a rather smokey, messy process.  No indication that it wasn't good, so there's that...but...AFTER dinner, he asked her if he could put his pants in her freezer to get the cooking smells out.  

Is this a thing?  Or is this just some immaculately brilliant...or awful...ploy to take your pants off after dinner?  I don't know whether to consider the guy a genius or a freak.

I think we did a poll on this a few years ago, it was pretty one-sided, maybe 95% to 5%. Obviously most people freeze their pants after cooking but there were a few weirdos who just put them in the fridge. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So my wife was just telling me about an interaction my SIL had with her relatively new boyfriend.  He came over to cook her dinner at her apartment.  Apparently he made some lamb and it was a rather smokey, messy process.  No indication that it wasn't good, so there's that...but...AFTER dinner, he asked her if he could put his pants in her freezer to get the cooking smells out.  

Is this a thing?  Or is this just some immaculately brilliant...or awful...ploy to take your pants off after dinner?  I don't know whether to consider the guy a genius or a freak.
That is someone's appliance, guy.

what are you lot, cretins? 

of course you put your jeans in the freezer.

I don't. but "you" people probably should.

Actually, the temperatures in a freezer are low enough to kill bacteria, so a freezer "wash" can eliminate/reduce bacterial related odors like BO.  The cold temperatures can also slow down some chemical processes like those that produce the vapors from onions which leads to sulfuric acid burning your eyes.  But this type of vapor suppression is only temporary and is lost as the onion warms again.    I do not see how freezer temperatures would help eliminate smoky food odor.

Actually, the temperatures in a freezer are low enough to kill bacteria, so a freezer "wash" can eliminate/reduce bacterial related odors like BO.  The cold temperatures can also slow down some chemical processes like those that produce the vapors from onions which leads to sulfuric acid burning your eyes.  But this type of vapor suppression is only temporary and is lost as the onion warms again.    I do not see how freezer temperatures would help eliminate smoky food odor.
via transmogrification of course...

Galileo said:
Did you SIL let him do it?  

Fat Nick said:

Galileo said:
Then to answer your question, he is a freaky genius.
This is a new spin on the old "my pants are dirty, we have to clean them and I'll just walk around pantless" trick with a new girlfriend. Well played. She didn't even see it coming.

Cold air definitely gets rid of stank.  After a long night at a smokey bar in the winter I would leave my jacket on the porch.  Toss it on on the morning and the smoke stench was gone. 

Galileo said:
Wait, some guy is putting his onions in there too?  On the rare occasion that my wife lets me borrow mine back I do not put them in the freezer, that is for dang sure. 

Galileo said:
You can’t fool me with science. Just to own you, I’m now freezing my underwear. 

Cold air definitely gets rid of stank.  After a long night at a smokey bar in the winter I would leave my jacket on the porch.  Toss it on on the morning and the smoke stench was gone. 
Is that from the cold or the fact that it's outside in the wind and it airs out? I'm guessing the same effect would happen on a summer night. A freezer though is almost air tight. 

Is that from the cold or the fact that it's outside in the wind and it airs out? I'm guessing the same effect would happen on a summer night. A freezer though is almost air tight. 
It works 100x better when the temp is below 32.  

Fat Nick said:

I have some experience with this but not for the reason you describe.

In my case, my mother once-in the midst of their ugly divorce-put all my fathers wet laundry, from the washer, into the freezer 😂

So somewhat of a thing haha.

That’s just the story your SIL gave. What actually happened is she told him to get stiff and he misunderstood. 

Damn. That's savage, man.
Yeah, for pure childish vindictiveness it was pretty spectacular. I have to laugh, I still tell that story on rare occasions. Certainly doesn’t portray a flattering picture of good ole mom. Jerry Springer has nothing on my family. 😁☹️

Yeah, for pure childish vindictiveness it was pretty spectacular. I have to laugh, I still tell that story on rare occasions. Certainly doesn’t portray a flattering picture of good ole mom. Jerry Springer has nothing on my family. 😁☹️
Friend of mine and his wife were splitting up. She moved out and put an ad in the PennySaver (it was like Craig's List before the internet, for you young'uns) for "Free firewood, delivered and stacked. Only call between midnight and 4 a.m."

She also somehow got some county government letterhead and sent him a letter from "Planning and Zoning" saying that the house he (they) built a couple of years before was 2 feet too close to the road and would have to be moved.

Friend of mine and his wife were splitting up. She moved out and put an ad in the PennySaver (it was like Craig's List before the internet, for you young'uns) for "Free firewood, delivered and stacked. Only call between midnight and 4 a.m."

She also somehow got some county government letterhead and sent him a letter from "Planning and Zoning" saying that the house he (they) built a couple of years before was 2 feet too close to the road and would have to be moved.
I’m no young’un 😁. 57 and we still get PennySavers around here. I actually have used it on occasion to find local contractor type people.

No way you could know this. You wouldn’t notice the lingering smell. 

Users who are viewing this thread