What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is Russell Crowes signature role? (1 Viewer)

Signature Role

• Hando - Romper Stomper

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Cort - The quick and the dead

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SID 6.7 - Virtousity

• Bud White - LA Confidential

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • John - Mystery Alaska

• Jeffrey - The Insider

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Maximus - Gladiator

Votes: 133 87.5%
  • John Nash - A Beautiful Mind

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Captain Jack - Master and Commander

• Jim Braddock - Cinderella Man

• Ben Wade - 3:10 to Yuma

• Robin - American Gangster

• Javert - Les Mis

• Other

• Total voters

badmojo1006

Footballguy
I guess it is Gladiator, but I could see, LA Confidential, A Beautiful Mind and Master and Commander.

Went with Gladiator. 

Maybe recency bias is hitting me here (just saw Gladiator on TV), but it's gotta be Gladiator. 

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED???

Gladiator definitely Signature 

The Insider - Gladiator - A Beautiful Mind is a pretty phenomenal three year run. Would be tough to beat IMO

agree with the gladiator but LA confidential is my fav however the nice guys was so ####### funny. hoping for a sequel

I guess it is Gladiator, but I could see, LA Confidential, A Beautiful Mind and Master and Commander.

Went with Gladiator. 
Gladiator is just a great movie all around,  before he got fat.

my personal favorite is his character in 3:10 to Yuma.   I love that movie

Wide range of solid roles.

But yeah... Maximus. 

Romper Stomper did define his career trajectory though...clearly a star early on. And agree that master and Commander is pretty great.

I liked Gladiator on first viewing but I dont find it very rewatchable.

L.A. Confidential I need to watch every few years.

Gladiator is his signature role though.

Agree.  Has to be Gladiator but his performance in The Insider is my favorite with LA Confidential a close 2nd.
I threw a vote at The Insider knowing Gladiator would be well represented. I think Wigand was a tougher acting role than Maximus in several ways, and to me that was the pinnacle of Crowe's acting chops, so that's the role I think of with him. He's had so many great ones.

He should have won for LA Confidential, no doubt. I went with that one.

One of my all time favorite actors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Weird. I went with L.A. Confidential. I just guess I didn't see the meaning of "signature role" the same way others did. 
He certainly had his breakout with LA and it’s my favorite movie of his but when I imagine Russel Crowe he’s a gladiator. Of course my opinion isn’t all that important.

He certainly had his breakout with LA and it’s my favorite movie of his but when I imagine Russel Crowe he’s a gladiator.
Sure. I guess LA just made a greater impression on me. Gladiator seems like a disposable movie to me, and I think cinema -- if we get highfalutin and take it seriously -- is neither greater nor worse for it having been made.

Definitely not a type cast actor. He absorbs any role he takes on. 

With that said, Gladiator is the first thing that should come to mind. LA confidential and Beautiful Mind up there, but Gladiator is it 

Russell Crowe is a highly underrated comedian & Javert proves it.

His Jim Braddock is my favorite of his dramatic roles

Russell Crowe is a highly underrated comedian & Javert proves it.

His Jim Braddock is my favorite of his dramatic roles
He got ripped by the critics for that role...  but I liked it. I thought he did a great job. Problem is that so much Broadway talent has done that role, and did it better because Jervert's role is really nothing if not a Broadway part (well, London, but you know what I mean). He's basically just a Darth Vader that sings. Be mean, and sing well. That's the role. 

That said, Anne Hathaway performed "I Dreamed a Dream" better than any Broadway talent ever did... not because of her singing, but because she acted it out far better than any Broadway talent ever has. That scene is IMHO in the top 10 most tear jerking scenes in movie history.

Users who are viewing this thread